PDA

View Full Version : Essential qualities of a LAS at Swanwick?

FlyingPiglet
2nd Sep 2002, 11:32
Rumour has it that there will be a VN for Local Area Supervisor's at Swanwick soon.

I wondered if anyone who work's there could let us know what it takes to be a LAS?

e.g. beard (M or F), pomposness/inflated ego, pipe/slippers, history of being dangerous or is the job filled by thrusting youngster's?

Just curious as I need to plan my strategy for the interview's.

ZIP250
2nd Sep 2002, 11:51
How about an ability to counter boredom. I'm also told that anyone with childcare problems will have a definite advantage so you had better get growing Mr Piglet.

Z;) ;) ;)

FlyingPiglet
2nd Sep 2002, 11:58
Do you think an active interest in doing crosswords would be an advantage then?

Shall suggest acquiring some offspring when I get back from the pub!

ZIP250
2nd Sep 2002, 12:07
Crosswords are a tricky one. It would depend on which ones. The Sun and Mail would be OK but the cryptic ones show a degree of lateral thought which is quite incompatible with being an LAS. There is a rumour around that anyone seen doing the Mephisto crossword from the Sunday Times is liable for an immediate transfer to TC. (Haven't tried that approach yet)

Going back to your original post, I find it interesting that you seem to think that there will be a promotion board in the near future. Where did you get that little snippet? As for applying for it, I think that anyone doing that would need to be referred to a trick cyclist very quickly. A far better job for you piggie would be Head of Training at Eurocontrol. Have a look at the VN!! I wouldn't want to meet one of the interview panel for that job on a bad day.

Another quality that would surely be essential for LAS wanabees is ................. No I couldn't think of any.

Z:rolleyes:

Numpo-Nigit
2nd Sep 2002, 14:57
Piggy

Let's just hope there isn't a requirement for accurate spelling, grammar and punctuation!!!

NN

2nd Sep 2002, 15:48
If management think they dare rob the dwindling pool of operational ATCOs to fill the first of a long ladder of sinecures then I wish them well. I shall reduce my 110% effort accordingly.Most recent promotees are no great loss anyway, but thats not the point! The point is next summers traffic.

BEXIL160
2nd Sep 2002, 23:41
As alluded to above, it really does not matter how you play it. Swanwick is desperately short of operational controllers.

Fiddlingwith days in lieu, voluntary overtime etc, etc will not solve the problem

FACT: There are not enough operational controllers at LACC Swanwick, nor will there be for a VERY long time (Years, not months).

Rgds BEX

atccmm
3rd Sep 2002, 12:57
Here are some essential qualities for being an LAS:-

- Knowing what those pretty TLPD graphs actually mean
- Going into the fire-proof cupboard to clean the screens
- Forgetten to turn your walk function on when you walk around
- Not being there when a sector needs splitting
- Demanding too many people stay behind instead of giving us all early-gos
- Brown border? What does that mean?