PDA

View Full Version : Something or nothing. ?

amelie2907
4th Oct 2023, 11:53
frequent flier and occasional pprune visitor - please move if I haven’t posted in the right place

Flew HER to MAN yesterday with Jet2 - LS3906

Myself and fellow pax noticed something unusual on take off yesterday

tried to post screenshot from my Flightradar24

at 1,775 ft we reached -3,200 fpm

just wondering if this was ‘normal’ ? :bored:

DaveReidUK
4th Oct 2023, 13:32
frequent flier and occasional pprune visitor - please move if I haven’t posted in the right place

Flew HER to MAN yesterday with Jet2 - LS3906

Myself and fellow pax noticed something unusual on take off yesterday

tried to post screenshot from my Flightradar24

at 1,775 ft we reached -3,200 fpm

just wondering if this was ‘normal’ ? :bored:

There's a definite blip in the vertical profile on FR24, lasting about 30 seconds, so I wouldn't rule out that reading.

amelie2907
4th Oct 2023, 15:36
What could have happened ? We all knew something wasn’t quite right :bored:

pilotmike
7th Oct 2023, 16:01
What could have happened ? :bored:
Apparently the aircraft reached 1,775' and then descended at a rate of 3,200 fpm, for about 30seconds.

My maths says that would be uncomfortably low. As the airport is only at about 100' elevation, that really would be too close for comfort.

DaveReidUK
8th Oct 2023, 07:20
Apparently the aircraft reached 1,775' and then descended at a rate of 3,200 fpm, for about 30seconds.

My maths says that would be uncomfortably low. As the airport is only at about 100' elevation, that really would be too close for comfort.

Looking at the plot, I can't see where the 30 seconds descent duration comes from.

There is a series of plots that appear to show the climb interrupted by a descent from 2075' to 1600' (both uncorrected for QNH) over 15 seconds, before a positive ROC was re-established.

Within that, there are two consecutive points, 3 seconds apart, showing a drop in height of 150', which is presumably where the calculated 3000 fpm comes from, until one remembers that the height readouts are all ± 25' and the timestamps ± ½ sec.

Certainly something happened, but I'd be surprised if brown trousers resulted on this occasion.

Uplinker
8th Oct 2023, 22:51
With the caveat of this being uncorroborated altitude data, something like this could be a TCAS RA, (unlikely, so close to take-off) or dipping under birds. I have done the latter twice on take-off, although, I didn't descend, I just levelled out to fly under the crossing birds, and resumed climb once they had passed.

I did have to increase descent rate to stay clear of a banner towing aircraft that had no transponder and ATC did not know about, that I saw crossing our path on initial approach to Alicante once.

amelie2907
12th Oct 2023, 16:59
Thank you for the replies

I had my headphones on as I always do on take off. But was aware of vibrations/descending so took them off immediately.

my partner described being aware of loosing height and hearing something mechanical with a slight dip to the right.

it was when we landed I corroborated with FR24

dixi188
13th Oct 2023, 09:53
Why do you have your headphones on during take off?
Are we not supposed to have all electrinic devices turned off for take off and landing.
If there's an emergency you are supposed to be able to hear any announcements by the crew.
Sorry, minor rant.

amelie2907
13th Oct 2023, 12:56
Because I’m scared on take off ??

still obviously aware enough to know something happened !

moleytt
13th Oct 2023, 14:51
Why do you have your headphones on during take off?
Are we not supposed to have all electrinic devices turned off for take off and landing.
If there's an emergency you are supposed to be able to hear any announcements by the crew.
Sorry, minor rant.
On my few flights this year, having headphones on during the safety briefing and during take off seems to be getting more prevalent even though the start of the briefing states that they should be removed.
Seems to be the younger folks!
Sorry for the thread drift.

DaveReidUK
13th Oct 2023, 15:27
If you have your headphones plugged into the IFE, you will hear the safety briefing that way.

amelie2907
13th Oct 2023, 16:51
FYI of course I watched the safety briefing.

I put them in when it finishes because I’m scared of take off, I’m still very aware and alert. Hence noticing what happened

don’t tarnish people with the same brush. My flight were majority oap’s and many of them weren’t paying attention to the safety briefing.