PDA

View Full Version : Alliance, Bonza or REX

Flydawg
24th Sep 2023, 02:00
If you had a choice what's the better option given that all 3 are jets?

Lapon
24th Sep 2023, 02:12
Whichever one offers you the job in the first place of course, then the basing you want, then balancing progression opportunities against eba provisions/pay that suits you.
You won't get all of that anywhere so weigh up whats important to you.

You don't necessarily need a jet job to get those either.

People will split hairs over the differences or cherry pick scenarios to make one operator or another seem better, but aide from basings and progression just about every mainstream jet operator in oz is as good/bad as the next in the big scheme of things.

Tbot
24th Sep 2023, 02:29
I’d probably choose Alliance for the job security. Lapon largely covered it all though :).

Flydawg
24th Sep 2023, 08:35
Whichever one offers you the job in the first place of course, then the basing you want, then balancing progression opportunities against eba provisions/pay that suits you.
You won't get all of that anywhere so weigh up whats important to you.

You don't necessarily need a jet job to get those either.

People will split hairs over the differences or cherry pick scenarios to make one operator or another seem better, but aide from basings and progression just about every mainstream jet operator in oz is as good/bad as the next in the big scheme of things.

Got an offer from all 3, in terms of bases choices Alliance is first Bonza second Rex third, pay is almost the same. Time to lefty hand seat is quickest with Bonza.

morno
24th Sep 2023, 08:49
I’d be going for Alliance. More stable, more certainty.

Lapon
24th Sep 2023, 09:31
I thought Alliance were doing DECs?

Agreed tho, I'd probably go Alliance for the reasons mentioned over a new start up all things otherwise being equal. Not to mention you will be living/based where you actually want to be by the sounds of it.

LostWanderer
24th Sep 2023, 20:57
If job security is important I would say Bonza could probably be taken out of the running

PoppaJo
24th Sep 2023, 22:27
Small low cost carriers, startup or not, are prone to strategy, network, base, employee changes at very short notice. It could be as simple as the local council cutting off subsidies or raising fees at a said base, it’s then closed and families are once again pushed to the wall, been there done that. Fuel jumps, generally people are laid off, fleets cut, aircraft re-leased to other parts of the world. You only need to look at how many employees Tiger pissed off over the years by chopping and changing every 5 mins.

Alliance going anywhere. Rex isn’t likely going anywhere, however likely a bit of a circus in the medium term. Unknown what that place will look like in 5 years.

Virgin’s 737 bases are likely the most ‘safe’ however another circus also.

Gnadenburg
24th Sep 2023, 22:45
There’s a good chance your choice won’t work out going by the attrition at Alliance. Can you afford to repay a large bond? How much is the bond at Rex and is it pro-rata? I’d go either of the 737 jobs. If Bonza falls over you won’t have to pay back the bond. You’ll get a job at Rex or Virgin.

These jobs aren’t going away so think of them as stepping stones and if you’re lucky maybe one will actually suit longer term.

Rabbitwear
24th Sep 2023, 23:21
Don’t go to Alliance as it will become part of the QF group and you will not be able to get a shot at mainline which is still the Aussie dream job !

morno
25th Sep 2023, 00:08
Don’t go to Alliance as it will become part of the QF group and you will not be able to get a shot at mainline which is still the Aussie dream job !

I doubt it will. That was an AJ dream and was shot down by the ACCC. I don’t think it’s ever coming back.

Chad Gates
25th Sep 2023, 00:18
I agree with morno. If the accc won’t allow QF to simply coordinate schedules with China eastern as it’s deemed “an excuse to raise prices” I’d say the Alliance thing is well and truly over. I doubt it will ever be mentioned again.

for me, I’d go to alliance.

boigu_bitch
25th Sep 2023, 02:13
what are the wait times for an interview at alliance? I hear onboarding can take a while

geeup
25th Sep 2023, 18:58
Go Bonza.

Or tell them about each other and see who’s willing to do a deal.

ebt
26th Sep 2023, 00:53
The comment around startups being short lived could raise an interesting possibility. If you're doing a type rating with them, maybe there is a bit of a gamble that if they were to go under, you could end up on the jobs market but with a valuable skillset behind you, one that is much more portable compared to doing a Fokker endorsement.

But yes, there is no objective answer there - you need to consider the factors that are important to you. Do you need/want the security of knowing that you'll have a long-term job with one employer, even if it means not progressing onto bigger and better things for a while? Or do you want to take what may seem a more risky path in the name of progressing quicker? Are you willing to relocate to pursue the opportunity? What is the culture like and how important is that to you? Those are the questions to ask yourself and then use that to get more specific and talk with people who are already flying with those airlines to see which one/s line up.

43Inches
26th Sep 2023, 01:24
There's a big difference with the current startups/new owners in the Australian market compared to the budding airlines of past. They are backed by some serious money, Bonza has 777, Rex has PAG, plus it's original investors, Virgin has Bain. Whilst these may be savvy corporate entities that could shut down and break up each airline at a moments notice, they also have the staying power and foresight to keep pumping in capital if they see weakness in any of the competitors for a long haul profit. They would be betting on someone else failing so they can gain serious market share in the Australian domestic market. Any one of those 3 could disappear over night or keep fighting till the cows come home. Alliance is on it's own and was seeking to sell out to QF, what does that say, who knows, are they safe and stable, well, that's a guess at best for any long term bets. In the short term they are doing fine.

I'd take the conditions that offer the best outcome for you and your family, in the long run. Jumping between airlines can cost you seniority and income starting from the bottom each time. Being in a base you don't want to be just for a few extra dollars or a type endorsement can be heavy on the soul and the family. Worrying about whether your airline will be around in 5 years is not worth thinking about, even QF mainline will boot you out in the cold if you are bottom of the seniority list when down times come around, so it's not just about who will go bust.

Gnadenburg
26th Sep 2023, 01:45
OK so bond costs don’t seem to be significant to you so what about the writing on the wall? So do any of these three outfits have pilots leaving? If so what makes you different and a stayer? I know guys who’ve left all three and for widely different reasons.

Slippery_Pete
26th Sep 2023, 02:20
Alliance, Bonza or REX

None of them.

Alliance - look at the rate they’re losing E190 crew. They can’t keep any staff, pilots or otherwise. You have to ask yourself why. Also, as a QF subsidiary, you’re putting the final nail in the coffin of any aspirations to mainline. There’s subsidiary pilots who have been on the hold file for 6+ years with no end in sight. You’re ending your mainline career chances by joining any subsidiary.

Bonza - If you like zero job security, go for it. They’re mixing up their routes already trying to find something profitable. I’m not familiar, do you pay for the endorsement and then they pay it back to you by a return of service? What happens to your out of pocket costs when they go tits up?

Rex - They just made a $45m loss in a period of unprecedented travel demand on the back of bargain basement leasing costs. A third of their turboprops are parked up due to lack of parts and crew. You do the math! You’ll work your guts out only to receive communique from the owner than you’re ”spitting in my face”, and “if it’s too hot in the kitchen, then get out!” You know they make their cadet pilots mow lawns, weed the gardens and write “solemn vows” right?

My opinion - wait for mainline to open again next month. They have huge hiring requirements next few years. You can walk straight into a short haul FO slot if you desire, and you’ll earn significantly more as a shorthaul FO than you will with a command at any of the three airlines above.

Play the long, smart game and ignore your shiny jet syndrome.

Gnadenburg
26th Sep 2023, 03:27
If a company goes under, I’m
sure I’ve read a Bond is consequently null and void.

LostProperty
26th Sep 2023, 05:34
In my view the chances of QF being allowed to subsume Alliance any time soon have plunged markedly under the new ACCC chair who seems to mean business with corporations seeking to grow their already large monopolies.

Bend alot
26th Sep 2023, 13:08
None of them.

Alliance - look at the rate they’re losing E190 crew. They can’t keep any staff, pilots or otherwise. You have to ask yourself why. Also, as a QF subsidiary, you’re putting the final nail in the coffin of any aspirations to mainline. There’s subsidiary pilots who have been on the hold file for 6+ years with no end in sight. You’re ending your mainline career chances by joining any subsidiary.

Bonza - If you like zero job security, go for it. They’re mixing up their routes already trying to find something profitable. I’m not familiar, do you pay for the endorsement and then they pay it back to you by a return of service? What happens to your out of pocket costs when they go tits up?

Rex - They just made a $45m loss in a period of unprecedented travel demand on the back of bargain basement leasing costs. A third of their turboprops are parked up due to lack of parts and crew. You do the math! You’ll work your guts out only to receive communique from the owner than you’re ”spitting in my face”, and “if it’s too hot in the kitchen, then get out!” You know they make their cadet pilots mow lawns, weed the gardens and write “solemn vows” right?

My opinion - wait for mainline to open again next month. They have huge hiring requirements next few years. You can walk straight into a short haul FO slot if you desire, and you’ll earn significantly more as a shorthaul FO than you will with a command at any of the three airlines above.

Play the long, smart game and ignore your shiny jet syndrome.
Yep punt around in a King Air till you get a Mainline Next Month.

If he/she was getting mainline next few years - any 3 will be a better pay/experience than a small turbo prop in any other company.

Icarus2001
26th Sep 2023, 23:48
Alliance - look at the rate they’re losing E190 crew. They can’t keep any staff, pilots or otherwise. You have to ask yourself why. Also, as a QF subsidiary, you’re putting the final nail in the coffin of any aspirations to mainline.

​​​​​​​Alliance is not a Qantas subsidiary. They are publicly listed on the ASX and Qantas owns 19% of their shares.

Flydawg
27th Sep 2023, 02:13
I have heard that crew are leaving QF group to go to Alliance VA or the states. Says a lot about the Australian dream job! However on the dumb and lazy side does anyone have the Alliance EBA, I can't seem to find it online :ugh:

markis10
27th Sep 2023, 06:45
I have heard that crew are leaving QF group to go to Alliance VA or the states. Says a lot about the Australian dream job! However on the dumb and lazy side does anyone have the Alliance EBA, I can't seem to find it online :ugh:

‘Doesn’t look hard to find https://www.fwc.gov.au/document-search?q=Alliance+airlines&options=SearchType_3%2CSortOrder_agreement-relevance

Flydawg
27th Sep 2023, 06:51
‘Doesn’t look hard to find https://www.fwc.gov.au/document-search?q=Alliance+airlines&options=SearchType_3%2CSortOrder_agreement-relevance

Thanks, I wasn't sure as this will be my first job in Australia.

krismiler
27th Sep 2023, 07:47
There are two things to look for if you want a quick upgrade, an expanding company with pilot turnover will get you into the left seat a lot quicker than a mature legacy airline where everyone stays until they retire.

Alliance is more established and you prefer their base, however the type rating is less useful than the other two.

Bonza would be a bit of a gamble as a new start up but if it works out you could be right place at the right time, similar to the pilots who joined Virgin back in the early 2000s got a quick upgrade and are now B737 Captains living in Brisbane.

REX is more established and should be a bit more stable and if you weren’t planning on staying long term would be okay for a few years to build up the hours.

You’re lucky to have three job offers, back in the 1990s you were lucky to get one and had to grab what ever was going. At the end of the day it’s a lotto as to which will have the best outcome. I went overseas in the early 2000s and had three possible employers at the time, I simply took the first one that offered me a job. Luckily it was the right choice as they were taken over by a major airline and I’m much better off than I would have been with either of the others.

Flydawg
27th Sep 2023, 08:10
There are two things to look for if you want a quick upgrade, an expanding company with pilot turnover will get you into the left seat a lot quicker than a mature legacy airline where everyone stays until they retire.

Alliance is more established and you prefer their base, however the type rating is less useful than the other two.

Bonza would be a bit of a gamble as a new start up but if it works out you could be right place at the right time, similar to the pilots who joined Virgin back in the early 2000s got a quick upgrade and are now B737 Captains living in Brisbane.

REX is more established and should be a bit more stable and if you weren’t planning on staying long term would be okay for a few years to build up the hours.

You’re lucky to have three job offers, back in the 1990s you were lucky to get one and had to grab what ever was going. At the end of the day it’s a lotto as to which will have the best outcome. I went overseas in the early 2000s and had three possible employers at the time, I simply took the first one that offered me a job. Luckily it was the right choice as they were taken over by a major airline and I’m much better off than I would have been with either of the others.

Yes time have changed a lot from when i got my CPL, back than you needed 100 moon landings to get a turboprop gig. I have mostly flown overseas after getting my license's, very lucky indeed to be offered 3 jobs within a span of days. Bonza shiny new jets with quick upgrade is very tempting plus shiny new 737 max8 would be nice to fly, the F100 seems like it will be out of service in a few years but good for building jet time from what i hear the crew are making bank atm. REX would be good to build time as well.

Zinfandel
27th Sep 2023, 10:52

They are all old/expired EA’s.

Flydawg
28th Sep 2023, 00:41
They are all old/expired EA’s.

Anyone know what the rosters are like at Alliance?

grrowler
28th Sep 2023, 02:14
You won’t find an EA for the ejets as there is none - contract only.
rosters for 28 days will consist of:
8 DDOs, think they can chuck singles in there.
whatever flying they give you
all other days will be max length STBY

Flydawg
28th Sep 2023, 03:37
You won’t find an EA for the ejets as there is none - contract only.
rosters for 28 days will consist of:
8 DDOs, think they can chuck singles in there.
whatever flying they give you
all other days will be max length STBY

Any idea on the number of days they work on the Ejet and F100? HR haven't confirmed a fleet type yet.

grrowler
28th Sep 2023, 13:18
So 28 day roster with 8 days off means you work 20 days - either flying or standby.

Flydawg
28th Sep 2023, 20:22
So 28 day roster with 8 days off means you work 20 days - either flying or standby.

Thanks, I was more after if crew get called in on standby days and if you got worked to 900hrs a year.

BravoSierraLima
28th Sep 2023, 23:20
Right now in BNE on the Fokker fleet, you can expect to be called out on every reserve and fly over 900hrs a year. For this, you will make $200k or so, about $70k of this is allowances. Upgrades are happening fast, 1-2 years. They're working on an EBA that will bring the Fokker and E190 fleets in Qld under one umbrella and Alliance proposing to add 2 grey days to the 8 RDOs in a roster (correct me if I'm wrong?).

BravoSierraLima
29th Sep 2023, 02:14
In my view the chances of QF being allowed to subsume Alliance any time soon have plunged markedly under the new ACCC chair who seems to mean business with corporations seeking to grow their already large monopolies.

Thankfully the ACCC chair is an expert in this policy area. However up until the Qantas Group troubles became more public recently they were quietly approaching their resources clients to ask them to put in a good written word and then potentially challenge the ACCC view, perhaps in court. The takeover bid officially expires in December, I don't know how successful Qantas were in getting support from their mining clients and they have bigger legal priorities now anyway.

BubbaJ
29th Sep 2023, 03:12
If I was considering a training bond, I'd take the the 37 any day over the F100.

BO0M
29th Sep 2023, 06:00
From another thread “Australian Wages” and talking to the boys

Current Alliance F100/E190 figures are below. Seems negotiations are currently occurring to merge the two fleets into a single contract. F100 crews get RPT bonus on top E190 doesn’t at the moment.

FO Base: $128679
CA Base: $186491

FO Productivity: $210
CPT Productivity: $332

RPT BONUS ( paid each month if you do an RPT flight, always paid apparently)
FO: $578
CPT: $838

According to the crews I know there captains are getting flogged, expect to fly 80-90 hours a month (productivity starts at 55 hours). FOs either just fall short of 55 or just bust it but thee may be outliers. So realistically a Captain on either fleet will be grossing around the $250k mark as a line driver. No idea what pays are like for those in the training department

MBA747
29th Sep 2023, 07:37
Alliance. FO Productivity: $210
CPT Productivity: $332 Is that per hour, per day or per sector?

Led Zep
29th Sep 2023, 09:16
Alliance. FO Productivity: $210
CPT Productivity: $332 Is that per hour, per day or per sector?

Per flight hour or part thereof.

galdian
30th Sep 2023, 00:29
Bear in mind what you see now and what you will see in a years time SHOULD be different, all airlines have/are recruiting and have a long pipeline of training to complete so crewing SHOULD settle down and pilots gradually getting less flogged in the months to come, this would appear to be the case for all the airlines at present but certainly QF and QQ.

Against this is probably the most volatile pilot market in many decades in Oz with opportunities aplenty for movement for those inclined - but that will change only because it always does, when it will change the big question.

Like it or not QF is the only local prospect who arguably will never go broke or fail as well as the only airline offering "traditional" progress through seniority on types/divisions which is probably attractive to many.
Others more versed in money matters can comment but rumours Bain have already get their money back from VA by loading debt against VA and Bain pocketing the cash, whilst unlikely they could decide tomorrow to close it down/sell up any assets and piss off, they do NOT want to run an airline they care only about $$$ and can be ruthless in how to obtain it (IMHO of course!).

Point being that arguably all the other airlines have the potential to go down (for different reasons and with different degrees of threat), if you factor that and assume jet time will get you another job somewhere (if required) then where you want to live becomes primary consideration, who can provide that opportunity secondary.

Best of luck choosing wisely with the unprecedented current pilot market and opportunities in Oz.
Cheers.

krismiler
30th Sep 2023, 00:34

Current Alliance F100/E190 figures are below. Seems negotiations are currently occurring to merge the two fleets into a single contract. F100 crews get RPT bonus on top E190 doesn’t at the moment.

According to the crews I know there captains are getting flogged, expect to fly 80-90 hours a month (productivity starts at 55 hours). FOs either just fall short of 55 or just bust it but thee may be outliers. So realistically a Captain on either fleet will be grossing around the $250k mark as a line driver. No idea what pays are like for those in the training department

80-90 hours of regional jet flying is slavery given the short sector lengths in addition to minimum days off. This isn’t sustainable in the long term and it’s hardly surprising crew turnover is high. It makes low cost in an A320/B737 look like heaven in comparison.

galdian
30th Sep 2023, 11:05
80-90 hours of regional jet flying is slavery given the short sector lengths in addition to minimum days off. This isn’t sustainable in the long term and it’s hardly surprising crew turnover is high. It makes low cost in an A320/B737 look like heaven in comparison.

"slavery..." FFS! :ugh:

To the best of my knowledge in Oz you still have freedom of choice...so choose wisely (or what ever suits your situation and you resolve within yourself).
Guarantee if you ask a group of 25-ish pilots Vs a group of 55-ish pilots their priorities will be different, money Vs lifestyle Vs "happy wife and family..." and all that crap.

Bad choice of word IMHO, expect better please. ;)
Cheers

grrowler
30th Sep 2023, 12:43
I wouldn’t say the flying is any harder than 320/737 flying in oz, but the 8 days off is a problem when doing max hours especially.

Good if you’re chasing hours for a bit, but pretty fair to say it isn’t sustainable.

Flydawg
30th Sep 2023, 22:16
I wouldn’t say the flying is any harder than 320/737 flying in oz, but the 8 days off is a problem when doing max hours especially.

Good if you’re chasing hours for a bit, but pretty fair to say it isn’t sustainable.
currently get 6 fixed days off and 2 duty free days a month. So pretty much the same thing...

krismiler
1st Oct 2023, 09:17
I’m on a fixed pattern and on a good month have 2 blocks of 4 days OFF within that month. At the moment I’m enjoying a good break, however I’m so close to my 1000hrs/365 days that I can’t even operate the shortest return flight in the network.

Is it sustainable long term ? Not sure, the 4 sector days and back of the clock stuff is quite tiring however in a few years the mortgage is paid off, the kids are off my hands and a 50% roster is possible. Take home pay will easily cover the living expenses and even allow me to put something away instead of drawing down on the investments.

2 weeks on followed by 2 off with staff travel to spend it where I like is quite appealing.

Gnadenburg
1st Oct 2023, 23:06
The OP hasn’t answered how he views a 30K bond? Are you OK to pay 30K if a better job comes up within a few months of joining? This is a very real scenario with a dynamic pilot market emerging. QF is recruiting from all three and I know a number of pilots who have had to pay 30K bonds or risk losing a better opportunity they didn’t expect to emerge.

Kris, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off is available in the USA for Aussies now. I’m not trying to change topic or enter debate and if you want to do that, please go to the USA thread and we’ll take it up there.

Flydawg
1st Oct 2023, 23:13
The OP hasn’t answered how he views a 30K bond? Are you OK to pay 30K if a better job comes up within a few months of joining? This is a very real scenario with a dynamic pilot market emerging. QF is recruiting from all three and I know a number of pilots who have had to pay 30K bonds or risk losing a better opportunity they didn’t expect to emerge.

Kris, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off is available in the USA for Aussies now. I’m not trying to change topic or enter debate and if you want to do that, please go to the USA thread and we’ll take it up there.
Not looking at jumping ships in a few months or years, lifestyle has become more important than ever. Being based at your preferred location makes all the difference. Plus have a side business helps make up any shortfall in terms of money compared to an airline. Staff travel isn't what it used to be anymore. Hence bond amount is irrelevant for me at this stage.

Gnadenburg
2nd Oct 2023, 00:09
Lifestyle and those carriers may well be a paradoxical topic! Dozens upon dozens before you have left some of these jobs for that very reason. And paid a bond to do so. If you’ve come from abroad and 30K barely a month’s pay don’t worry about it and go look-see. Otherwise be very wary and look at line rosters.

krismiler
2nd Oct 2023, 01:09
With the traditional high rejection rate at QF I’d take a confirmed job offer first and plan on paying out any bond if I got lucky later on. 30 thousand is a small price in comparison to lifetime earnings at the big Q. If you don’t have previous jet time, a few months in the right hand seat of a 737 could make the difference between passing or failing the QF sim.

Remember pilot employment is highly cyclical, you don’t want to be left standing when the music stops on the current wave. Seniority is all important too, a few places down the list can make years difference to your upgrade.

Icarus2001
2nd Oct 2023, 01:20
Are you OK to pay 30K if a better job comes up within a few months of joining?

A very simple solution. You advise your employer that you intend to pay the bond but due to the level of salary you are on you do not have $30,000 readily available. As a result you intend to offer a payment plan and will send them $1000 every month until the debt is paid.
If it ever got to debt recovery action or a magistrate you would be in a very strong position.

Gnadenburg
2nd Oct 2023, 02:49
A number of folks caught out paying their training costs after they leave which negates a significant tax claim. You need to pay your bond whist still employed according to a number of accountants I’ve spoken to.

I agree a bond is nothing if you are financially secure or going to a very well paid job. However there is nothing enviable of the financial position of many Australian pilots. So you are well advised to have a think about a few creative scenarios down the track and whether you can afford to leave at the drop of a hat- which great aviation opportunities may dictate.

grrowler
3rd Oct 2023, 10:11
I might be wrong but it seems like you think 8 days off/ 90 hrs is fine because you currently only have 8 days off now and you’re happy with low pay because you have another business (god knows when you’ll have time for it) to subsidise. You’ll be perfect for the job.

airdualbleedfault
4th Oct 2023, 09:11
I heard a rumour Network are recruiting :}

dejapoo
4th Oct 2023, 09:12
I heard a rumour Network are recruiting :}

You should go back

Ghostrider94
11th Oct 2023, 03:11
So I have a job and the start date is a week into my leave from my current job. If I resign giving the minimum notice period I'll be starting my new job while I'm still on leave. So the question is can I start my new job while I'm on leave from my current employer legally?

Lapon
11th Oct 2023, 09:35
So I have a job and the start date is a week into my leave from my current job. If I resign giving the minimum notice period I'll be starting my new job while I'm still on leave. So the question is can I start my new job while I'm on leave from my current employer legally?

Well you ain't going to end in a cell block with Buba.

Probably in breach of your current employment contract, but if your on leave and you're leaving anyway then they won't know and much less care I would have thought.
The first week of any job is just induction fluff anyway.

If the thought prevents you taking that start with the new employer I'd say you didn't actually want the job in the first place.

MickG0105
11th Oct 2023, 10:32
https://www.hradviceonline.com.au/hr-guides/contracts/faq-can-your-employees-work-for-another-employer-when-on-annual-leave

bb_turn
12th Oct 2023, 05:44
Have you considered a trade after 20 years in aviation your IMO way better off.

Ghostrider94
12th Oct 2023, 07:37
Well you ain't going to end in a cell block with Buba.

Probably in breach of your current employment contract, but if your on leave and you're leaving anyway then they won't know and much less care I would have thought.
The first week of any job is just induction fluff anyway.

If the thought prevents you taking that start with the new employer I'd say you didn't actually want the job in the first place.

Going from a crapy piston to a multi crew turboprop, is ideal. Just didn't expect to get a start date when I'll be on holidays. Plus the industry is ruthless so don't want to 🔥 the 🌉 with my current employer, economic events aren't siding to well with aviation. Last one in first one out on the seniority list!

Flydawg
14th Oct 2023, 13:18
Never said I'm happy with the low pay! base preference the the ACE card for me. Not a telemarketer however a well planned side business takes less time and effort to setup than one may think!

Hollywood1
15th Oct 2023, 03:11
Going from a crapy piston to a multi crew turboprop, is ideal. Just didn't expect to get a start date when I'll be on holidays.

Would love to be in your position. Two income sources. What you do whilst on leave is none of your employer's business.

Ghostrider94
15th Oct 2023, 20:19
Would love to be in your position. Two income sources. What you do whilst on leave is none of your employer's business.
hi Hollywood1 2 sources of income for 5 weeks would be great. And fingers crossed you get the call soon as well mate than we both will be in a good spot.

717tech
15th Oct 2023, 23:16
That depends... check your EBA (if you have one). You might find a clause that effectively states you can't fly for an operator that's considered competition. Not just in Pilot EBAs. I know an individual that was called in for tea and biscuits once their employer found out they were working for a direct competitor while on leave. Earning more money too!

Ghostrider94
19th Oct 2023, 04:36
Lets add a twist, I signed the contract for the shiny turboprop, with a training bond to startin 6 weeks. Now I have a offer for a shiny jet. Question is if I haven't started yet with the shiny turboprop, can I start on the shiny jet without paying the bond, for the shiny turboprop?

ajr2505
10th Nov 2023, 01:01

Seems like a lot of the E190 flights out of Brissy are Qlink RPT flights. Any idea how much FIFO stuff the E-jets do? What kinda hours/overtime/allowances are we looking at for brissy FOs on the Ejet?

Australopithecus
10th Nov 2023, 01:49
Yes** Since the employer hasn’t incurred training costs, how could they hold you to a bond?

** Not a solicitor. They might try it on.