PDA

View Full Version : PIA Pakistan shutting down on next Friday..!!??

JanetFlight
13th Sep 2023, 22:30
It seems very bad acc this one here »»»

https://www.geo.tv/latest/509664-pia-on-verge-of-collapse-as-funds-shortage-risks-flights-suspension

Superpilot
14th Sep 2023, 07:49
Let it fall. It's used by the corrupt elite as a cashcow. The country needs a revolution, I sincerely hope a bloodless one is enough. Current bandits and goons running the country imprisoned their ex PM on trumped up charges and are delaying elections. West is silent (and complicit).

Gordomac
14th Sep 2023, 08:44
Too long a story and boring as hell but they did send me the best reject letter ever.

"Thank you for the kind offer of your services of which we are unable to avail ourselves."

Signed by a Lt General, witnessed by a Lt Colonel. Flamboyant signatures and official stamps everywhere.

Did fancy B747. Rawal Pindi. Skiing in Murray . SAved again but the one line reject was topdrawer.

Lonewolf_50
14th Sep 2023, 12:33
Let it fall. It's used by the corrupt elite as a cashcow. The country needs a revolution, I sincerely hope a bloodless one is enough. Current bandits and goons running the country imprisoned their ex PM on trumped up charges and are delaying elections. West is silent (and complicit). Strike-through of irrelevant material are mine. Would you stay on topic, please? PIA operated for any number of years with various prime ministers coming and going.
Number of operational planes reduced to 16 from 23: official. Boeing, Airbus suspend spare parts supplies to airline. PIA planes stopped at Gulf airports over fuel non-payment. This isn't the only airline to have run into a problem like this.
... a top official of the national flag carrier has warned that flight operations are feared to be suspended by September 15 if emergency funds are not provided, Geo News has learnt. National flag carrier has 23 jets, now can only run 16 of them. I suppose one could argue that this is a prestige hit / loss of face.
I suspect that it's bad management (and I don't doubt your point on corruption) coming home to roost.

Octane
14th Sep 2023, 15:38
Well it is up there with being one of the most broken countries on the planet..

B Fraser
15th Sep 2023, 07:23
PIA = Please Inform Allah

I remember a story some time back of a PIA 777 having issues where the grease on the UC would catch fire. The plane arrived at Manchester with smoke pouring from the wheels. The fire crews were on the scene in moments and were at the foot of the slides to assist the passengers vacating the aircraft. Your average Pakistani grandmother is rather on the chunky side. Combine this with traditional silk garments having the friction coefficient of wet ice then what could possibly go wrong.

Several fireman were hospitalised.

jolihokistix
15th Sep 2023, 07:35
When I were a young 'un, PIA = Perhaps I Arrive.

Used them a few times and we always arrived, with memorable stories to tell.

doolay
19th Sep 2023, 20:59
Let it fall. It's used by the corrupt elite as a cashcow. The country needs a revolution, I sincerely hope a bloodless one is enough. Current bandits and goons running the country imprisoned their ex PM on trumped up charges and are delaying elections. West isWest is silent (and complicit).

Why is everything both the responsibility and fault of the West?

HeadUpTheTailpipe
20th Sep 2023, 07:37
Because no one takes ownership any more these days.

His dudeness
21st Sep 2023, 09:23
The country needs a revolution, I sincerely hope a bloodless one is enough. Current bandits and goons running the country imprisoned their ex PM on trumped up charges and are delaying elections. West is silent (and complicit).

You´re a bit simple minded, aren´t you ? Try to reason with morons never works. And why on earth should "the West" (whos that, by the way?) inject itself yet again in the affairs of complete lunatics...? What could "the West" gain from behaving one way or the other ? Exactly, nothing. "We" will be at fault, no matter the outcome, because its easy to blame others. And "our" lefties, thrive on that assumption as well.

Superpilot
21st Sep 2023, 12:21
I know it's a bitter pill to swallow sometimes for the average self-concerned Right Winger but "The West" which comprises of The US, the UK, majority of EU nations (that wasn't difficult was it?) is thoroughly complicit in what is happening in Pakistan right now. If you don't follow the politics of that region and don't know who the players are, you will rightly feel challenged in accepting blame. Best you stay out of it in that case. To discuss this properly will will take the thread into a direction I didn't really intend.

Lonewolf_50
21st Sep 2023, 15:13
I know it's a bitter pill to swallow sometimes for the average self-concerned Right Winger but "The West" which comprises of The US, the UK, majority of EU nations (that wasn't difficult was it?) is thoroughly complicit in what is happening in Pakistan right now. If you don't follow the politics of that region and don't know who the players are, you will rightly feel challenged in accepting blame. Best you stay out of it in that case. To discuss this properly will take the thread into a direction I didn't really intend. You already did, and I for one asked you not to. Thank you for belatedly acknowledging the request to stay on topic.
(I suspect that a rousing good thread could be had on this topic in Jet Blast, though).

His dudeness
21st Sep 2023, 19:28
I know it's a bitter pill to swallow sometimes for the average self-concerned Right Winger but "The West" which comprises of The US, the UK, majority of EU nations (that wasn't difficult was it?) is thoroughly complicit in what is happening in Pakistan right now. If you don't follow the politics of that region and don't know who the players are, you will rightly feel challenged in accepting blame. Best you stay out of it in that case. To discuss this properly will will take the thread into a direction I didn't really intend.

Wellwellwell, the average super knowledgable lefty strikes again... dude, you are trying to wind up the wrong person. Not biting. You may wallow in your guilt syndrome all you want, I have neither a say nor the means to change ANYTHING in this area or any other. Nor have you, if you waste your time on a high horse on PPRUNE....

Lonewolf_50
21st Sep 2023, 21:43
Well, next Friday is almost here, in Pakistan: are they shut down or still operating?

ATC Watcher
22nd Sep 2023, 07:01
Well, their web site is not accepting bookings and transfers you to their "charter services "

Less Hair
22nd Sep 2023, 07:26
Didn't they receive two new loans by Pakistan banks and are off the hook for the time being?

Longtimer
22nd Sep 2023, 18:15
Article dated Sept 22, 2023
https://tribune.com.pk/story/2437131/govt-wont-let-pia-be-grounded

CayleysCoachman
26th Sep 2023, 06:23
PIA = Please Inform Allah

I remember a story some time back of a PIA 777 having issues where the grease on the UC would catch fire. The plane arrived at Manchester with smoke pouring from the wheels. The fire crews were on the scene in moments and were at the foot of the slides to assist the passengers vacating the aircraft. Your average Pakistani grandmother is rather on the chunky side. Combine this with traditional silk garments having the friction coefficient of wet ice then what could possibly go wrong.

Several fireman were hospitalised.

No. It was not grease which burnt. The fires broke out during taxi. Five firefighters suffered minor injuries (I recall the worst was. A broken thumb). All as you could gather if you read the report.

Raduga-Burya
28th Sep 2023, 22:32
It seems very bad acc this one here »»»

https://www.geo.tv/latest/509664-pia-on-verge-of-collapse-as-funds-shortage-risks-flights-suspension

They have always seemed a couple of papadums short of a proper meal.

Oh well, guess the tap has turned off for the last time.

HOVIS
29th Sep 2023, 01:55
No. It was not grease which burnt. The fires broke out during taxi. Five firefighters suffered minor injuries (I recall the worst was. A broken thumb). All as you could gather if you read the report.
Correct. It was a fresh wheel that had been incorrectly cleaned during assembly, the sintered metal heat shield was soaked in flammable solvent.
There had been previous brake fires (at MAN and elsewhere) that had been due to incorrect spec grease being used on the bearings.