PDA

View Full Version : Kelowna October wx and accommodation recommendations

Skysurfer66
12th Sep 2023, 12:23
Hi all,
So after a very frustrating year, I am finally in the position that I have my Class 1 medical, have done Harv's ground school, and found a really responsive flying school in Kelowna (Air-Hart). Waiting on documentation from the UK CAA has led to a 3 month delay on my plans, which now pushes me out to trying to convert my UK PPL (FLVC), write the commercial exam and try and get the flying and flight test done in October. Eek!

From what I can see online, the weather is starting to turn in October in Kelowna, but it still looks reasonably flyable for VFR (mostly). Am I way off base with this?

Finally, any recommendations for affordable accommodation near the airport in Kelowna please? I'll be in Canada for 3 weeks, and I'd rather be putting as much of my pittance as possible towards boring holes in the sky!

Many thanks,
Matt

Pilot DAR
17th Sep 2023, 10:14
Hello Matt.

The weather should be reasonably good in central BC in the fall. There will be some poor days, but the weather is quite stable there.

Accommodation may be another thing. Do your homework on that, hopefully Air-Hart can make suggestions for you. B.C. is never low cost anyway, but the fires this past summer have made it more difficult for local residents, so what might have been tourist accommodations may be being used by local people. Make sure you have accommodation established before you go.

awair
17th Sep 2023, 10:26
The Royal Anne Hotel in town was reasonably priced in March, and has a complimentary shuttle to the airport.

Skysurfer66
30th Oct 2023, 12:55
Hello Matt.

The weather should be reasonably good in central BC in the fall. There will be some poor days, but the weather is quite stable there.

Accommodation may be another thing. Do your homework on that, hopefully Air-Hart can make suggestions for you. B.C. is never low cost anyway, but the fires this past summer have made it more difficult for local residents, so what might have been tourist accommodations may be being used by local people. Make sure you have accommodation established before you go.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I ended up booking an AirBnB which was great, and completed my commercial training with Air Hart, it was a fantastic experience. BP Aviation in Penticton did my flight test, and the weather held for me, only the last day I was in Kelowna did the weather deteriorate to a non flying day, but I was complete by then.

Canada, and Canadians are awesome. For anyone overseas who is considering training in Canada, 10000000% do it!

Cheers,
Matt