PDA

View Full Version : EASA Class 2 Medical with Monocular Vision: Seeking Advice

Andres Belgy
10th Sep 2023, 20:49
Hello fellow aviators,

I have a question and would greatly appreciate any insights or advice from those who might have faced a similar situation.

I have been dealing with strabismus, which has left me with no depth perception at all. I recently applied for an EASA Class 2 medical certificate and was informed that I might need some form of binocular vision to be eligible for this certification.

Here's where my situation gets a bit perplexing: My vision and field of view are both normal, and the only hurdle preventing me from obtaining the Class 2 certificate seems to be the requirement for binocular vision due to my strabismus.

While researching online, I stumbled upon some posts from individuals who claimed to have successfully obtained a Class 2 medical certificate despite having monocular vision (no depth perception), similar to my situation. This has left me somewhat confused and wondering whether there might be some exceptions or nuances I'm unaware of.

So, my question to you all is: Do any of you own a valid EASA Class 2 medical certificate with monocular vision or have any insights to share on this matter? How did you navigate the binocular vision requirement with strabismus?

I greatly appreciate any tips, experiences, or guidance you can provide.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,

Andres Belgy
10th Sep 2023, 21:05
At the risk of being criticised again, see this flowchart. (https://www.caa.co.uk/media/mrmcsx04/20220401-v1-3-class-2-substandard-vision-one-eye-fc.pdf)
Hi friend,
Thank you for the reference!
Maybe a stupid question: I see this document is from the UK CAA. Does this also apply to the other EASA countries, Belgium?