PDA

View Full Version : Lapsed ATPL revalidation to LAPL

Spartacan
5th Sep 2023, 14:41
Just dipping my toe in the shark infested custard . . .

Any idea what would be required to get an LAPL from an APTL (heavy jets) having not flown for twenty years?

I.e. how many hours to revalidate and would I have sit any writtens?

Comments welcome.

Thanks!

Jhieminga
6th Sep 2023, 08:12
I'm not going to be able to provide you with a complete answer... but here are two things to consider:
- I don't think you can get a LAPL in the UK, as that is strictly an EASA licence.
- You already have a licence, but the ratings on it have lapsed and there is no SEP rating on it, or not anymore. So what you're looking for is the training requirements to get a SEP rating. I suspect that it's going to be something like 'training as required' to achieve the needed proficiency.

Another thought just popped into my head: if you haven't flown for 20 years, what type of licence do you have? Is it an EASA licence or older? I think we need Whopity in here to get a better answer and part of it is probably going to be: sit down at an ATO with a friendly instructor and discuss what you would need/like to do to feel comfortable in an aeroplane again.

Spartacan
6th Sep 2023, 14:04
Thank you for the kind reply.

It's a UK CAA ATPL (A) - last type was a B767 - 200 landed in 2003 . . .

I've had a look at the Flight Crew Licensing website but couldn't find the answer. A common sense chat with a flying school sounds fine if that suffices. I'm a bit wary of approaching the Authority straight off as I guess that things are more complicated these days and I haven't paid any attention to aviation since I moved on.

To my surprise I still have the same bug I had when I was in my teens so want to give it another look. An LAPL would suffice for all I want to do and can afford!

I think I'll pop along to my local airfield and sound them out.

Cheers, Spartacan

rudestuff
6th Sep 2023, 15:05
If you already hold a licence I believe you just need an SEP rating. Training as required then test. Exactly the same as you'd need for LAPL but you'd get PPL and CPL.

Whopity
12th Sep 2023, 21:07
First question, Did you have SEP or Group A on your ATPL? A 2003 National ATPL will have expired so you will need to have a new licence issued. If you have SEP or Group A then all you need is to do training to pass a Prof Check and apply for a reissue of the PPL privileges on a Part FCL licence. Unless you have a medical restriction there is no point going for a LAPL.