PDA

View Full Version : Cross wind at North Weald Sat 31/8

Final 3 Greens
1st Sep 2002, 08:01
The A/g was giving out wind info that meant an x-wind component of 10-14 kts, but the nose of my a/c was never more that 5 degrees into wind on short final?

The windsock by the Squadron was certainly suggesting the A/g info was sound, but its just odd that the Pup didn't want to weathercock more.

Did anyone out there fly too - did you notice anything/

doubleu-anker
1st Sep 2002, 09:27
Just a thought, maybe you were flying so far out of balance, you were inadvertantly compensating for the x-wind.:D :D :D

distaff_beancounter
1st Sep 2002, 09:34
Not an answer - just another question :confused:

When making a cross-wing approach, using the "crab" method (as I do), what ratio should there be, between the angle of crab, and the strength of the cross-wind?

I have never really thought about, I have just done it

PS: Nice strong breeze at Lydd yesterday, blowing straight across Romney Marsh

NotAnotherUsername
1st Sep 2002, 10:26
d_b: just use the 1 in 60 rule, same as you would for calculating wind correction angle - which is what this is.

Say you're flying down final at 60 knots (makes for easy maths!) then if there's 5 knots crosswind, then you should have 5 degrees of 'crab'.

distaff_beancounter
1st Sep 2002, 10:50
NotAnotherUsername Thanks for the reply.

Yes, its obvious when you mention it, so I should have remembered that! :(

My excuse is, when I am heading towards the runway in a stonking cross-wind, I am too busy concentrating on the newly named "Point and Power" technique, to do the calulations in my head. :D

stiknruda
1st Sep 2002, 11:26
This Fri/Sat there was a BAeA comp at Connington. When I arrived the wind was 80 degrees off r/way hdg at 16 knots. This really was far too close to the demo x-wind capability of my aeroplane for comfort

Later that day it was 70 off 21G25 and Sat was easier as the wind was only 50 off but with the same speed

The majority of aerobatic competitors were flying tailwheel aircraft. There were some hair-raising landings from some Pitts pilots and I am sure that my second landing looked like an accident about to happen from the clubhouse.

Anyway the point of the post is that there were as many different techniques to overcome the x-wind as there were aircraft. However the most common method for tailwheel pilots was to slip with the nose into wind, kick straight at the last minute then lower the into wind wing till that wheel was on, then stick back and lower the leeward wheel.

Because there is a lot of hanging around waiting to fly at these events, we competitors discussed the differing techniques at great length.

There were only a few of us who used the into wind wing low method all the way down to touching down on one main and the tailwheel. However - I will certainly give the other method a go in the next fresh x-wind day as there were palpable visibility benefits.

Stik

of course some folk like DB6 don't fly real aeroplanes!

Final 3 Greens
2nd Sep 2002, 09:06
doubleu-anker

:eek:

:D

fu 24 950
2nd Sep 2002, 13:43
Why use the straight in approach down the imaginary center line when you can cut an approach line at the 45 deg and lower the X -wind and increase the head wind.

Final 3 Greens
3rd Sep 2002, 12:36
FU 24

Usually because of maintaining a consistent pattern if there is other traffic about. We're a bit sensistive about this at NW due to a midair in the circuit a while ago.

Otherwise, why not an oval shaped circuit with a long base and short final - pretty much similar to your suggestion I guess.

fu 24 950
3rd Sep 2002, 14:03
3 Green's
Agree with the importance to conform to the circuit pattern. Just a helpful hint if caught out with a strong X-wind and no X runway to use.

Final 3 Greens
3rd Sep 2002, 14:05
FU24

A useful suggestion - thanks for the posting.

stiknruda
3rd Sep 2002, 18:17
FU 24 950.

I can see the logic behind your post but unless the runway is very wide you will still need to align the a/c longitudinal axis with the r/way centreline, then ensure that there is zero drift before you put the wheels down onto tarmac.

If the runway is not very wide, then by approaching along the imaginary extended centre line you are already in about the right configuration for the landing.

Or have I missed something cunning?

Stik

DB6
3rd Sep 2002, 20:29
Tsk, tsk, Stik. Don't know what you're talking about - the crosswind never gave me any problems at the weekend (except in the competition box ahem but the less said about that the better) :D .
Preferred method in the Zlin 526 was to wheel it on with one wing low which worked a treat. The last Pitts I flew had spades so dipping a wing was a bit iffy and it had to be crabbed and lined up in the hold-off. Never flew it in a strong crosswind though and didn't envy you on Friday. In the mighty Firefly however you can laugh in the face of the spindly killer fish and tweak the nose of a crosswind since 25 kts limit is enough for even the most inept of us ;) !
To go back to the original thread, at some airfields the surface wind is measured about 30' above the ground and depending on the time of day and other local conditions there can often be a marked dropping off of the wind in that last 30'. Maybe that was it. Wasn't from the right by any chance?

Final 3 Greens
4th Sep 2002, 08:39
DB6

The wind was from the left of 02 and the windsock by the Squadron did support the A/g wind info - also the wind at 2000 broadly supported the surface wind too.

So the odd thing was that Pup didn't want to weather cock more than 5 deg (if that) on final to hold the centre line - knowing the aeroplane well I would have expected to have crabbed more - I even x-checked the AI to make sure that I was n't unconsciously flying left wing down and the ball to make sure that I was in balance!

Guess these odd things sometimes happen in flying.

distaff_beancounter
4th Sep 2002, 09:03
DB6 At some airfields the surface wind is measured about 30' above the ground ..... Now that is one of those glaringly obvious facts, that I should have taken into account, but which I had never even thought about :(

Presumably, the measurement is at the actual height of the airfield's anonometer (spelling?) and not corrected for height? Perhaps one of the Ppruners in ATC can confirm this, please.

At many smaller airfields. the anonometer is also not very close to the runways. (Often seems to be nearer the control tower). Or, does not give a very true reading, as it is in the lee of a hangar, or trees.

At Lydd on Saturday am, they were using runway 04, with the wind 330/10G15 (if I recall correctly)