PDA

View Full Version : Skyguide application process and ATC training

loulou86
29th Jul 2023, 06:28
Hello,

I am considering applying to become an ATC at Skyguide. If someone is an ATC at Skyguide, or has a feedback on the selection process, and afterwards on the training at Dübendorf or Geneva (I'm french-speaking), I would be very much interested in discussing it with you :)

Thank you very much in advance

bettercallsaul
4th Aug 2023, 08:46
Hello,

I am considering applying to become an ATC at Skyguide. If someone is an ATC at Skyguide, or has a feedback on the selection process, and afterwards on the training at Dübendorf or Geneva (I'm french-speaking), I would be very much interested in discussing it with you :)

Thank you very much in advance

Why don't you just apply without even thinking about it? That wouldn't hurt, then you can go as far as you can and if you make it, you can decide if you want the training or not :) Don't hesitate!

Passenger 9
20th Sep 2023, 10:44
Hi,
skyguide training is done at Dubendorf near Zurich. They pay a minimum salary during training which you would need to supplement from your own reserves.Posting after training is up to the company and you could be posted to any location. skyguide do not always take language skills into account when posting as in the past they have posted non french speakers to geneva and non german speakers to zurich. There is also Bern and Lugano as possible posting locations. The only sectors that have french published as a control language are geneva approach & tower. Elsewhere the published controlling and training language is English. Their training success rate, beginning to end was about 50%. Some foreign controllers have failed to check out in some units. Local politics especially in the geneva area can get personal (they like you or they don't). Their training school in dubendorf used to be very good, but then a wave of instructors resigned due differences of opinion with the school management. Overall skyguide work conditions are good and the salary also good after training is passed. Tax in switzerland changes with location, but depending upon your situation & where you live will be between 17 and 25% after deductions etc.
Make contact with them and see what they tell you then decide for yourself.

LuCst
20th Sep 2023, 13:55
...skyguide do not always take language skills into account when posting as in the past they have posted non french speakers to geneva and non german speakers to zurich...

Interesting as they have a B2 language proficiency requirement for external hiring. Does that not apply to their own ab-initio trainees or are they required to learn the relevant language once posted? Or is the B2 requirement more of a recommendation?

aaesteve
27th Sep 2023, 20:25
Hi,
skyguide training is done at Dubendorf near Zurich. They pay a minimum salary during training which you would need to supplement from your own reserves.Posting after training is up to the company and you could be posted to any location. skyguide do not always take language skills into account when posting as in the past they have posted non french speakers to geneva and non german speakers to zurich. There is also Bern and Lugano as possible posting locations. The only sectors that have french published as a control language are geneva approach & tower. Elsewhere the published controlling and training language is English. Their training success rate, beginning to end was about 50%. Some foreign controllers have failed to check out in some units. Local politics especially in the geneva area can get personal (they like you or they don't). Their training school in dubendorf used to be very good, but then a wave of instructors resigned due differences of opinion with the school management. Overall skyguide work conditions are good and the salary also good after training is passed. Tax in switzerland changes with location, but depending upon your situation & where you live will be between 17 and 25% after deductions etc.
Make contact with them and see what they tell you then decide for yourself.

I believe Skyguide raised the pay for ab-initio trainees from 2000 CHF per month up to 4000 CHF to increase the number of candidates. It's still not a lot of money considering the cost of living, but it might be enough if you are careful with your expenses.

NZZO
9th Oct 2023, 05:05
Hi passenger9
Thanks for the info about S'guide training etc. I see they are advertising for Area radar instructors so was interested that you mentioned a number had recently resigned due to 'differences'. I am in the process of applying and would be very keen to know if you have any more info like 'have things improved?' 'is it still a good job?'. I ask also as I spent time at the training school at schwartzorstr back in the 90's and it was a happy place from what I saw. Mainly expats in the classroom and they seemed fairly content. Cheers for any input you might have.