PDA

View Full Version : Best (and worst) EASA Authority

Babbalito
24th Jul 2023, 08:06
I'm thinking of changing jurisdiction because of the poor service standards provided by the IAA. Can anyone recommend their EASA authority?
Answering the phone, replying to emails, turning around applications promptly, having a counter service, 'fair enough' pricing are all factors that need to be improved.

hoistop
24th Jul 2023, 09:26
I am symphathetic with you but.... you can`t change your principal Authority, if you are talking about organization. The principal place of business will define your Competent Authority. If you know how to circumvent this, then please please let me know!!!
If you are talking about Part-66 licence etc, then yes, you have free hands to move your files and licence somewhere else - but even here not everything is perfect. Some Authorities are reluctant to accept newcomers from other jurisdictions, for instance Dutch KIWA plainly published that they do not accept licence transfers from Greek CAA until further notice "as investigation is pending". Regarding Part-66 licence, I might reccomend Hungary or Austria. Don`t touch ENAC.

ZFT
24th Jul 2023, 09:55
I am symphathetic with you but.... you can`t change your principal Authority, if you are talking about organization. The principal place of business will define your Competent Authority. If you know how to circumvent this, then please please let me know!!!

This has been circumvented for years. Just open an office somewhere and use that address as your registered address and claim it as your principal place of business . A major training organization did just this in Copenhagen and a major OEM did just this in Ireland.

Babbalito
24th Jul 2023, 11:04
Thanks for those comments. How about if you are not operating in EU but have an EASA license and need a validation? For example: Brazilian citizen trying to work in Vietnam. Asking for a friend:O
I guess I should have mentioned I'm talking specifically about pilot licences.

deltahotel
24th Jul 2023, 11:09
I'm not sure I fully understand hoistop's response. I read that the OP was looking to SOLI to a 'better' authority, in which case that shouldn't be a problem unless your employer insists on a particular NAA.

Babbalito - then you need a sim acceptable to EASA and an EASA TRE.

Babbalito
24th Jul 2023, 11:18
That's the abbreviation I needed in the original post. So, any thoughts on the 'better' NAAs? Colleagues recommend Austria and Malta seemed pretty good last year but might now be snowed under as a result of attracting so much trade.

Superpilot
25th Jul 2023, 06:53
By far the best is Malta, people also rate Austria. Those boys and girls (lots are former pilots) will answer your email usually within 24 hours. IAA are a pitiful joke and the Baltic states are just as terrible with their communication often making lame excuses despite what EASA says.

His dudeness
25th Jul 2023, 06:58
Whatever/wherever you do/go, DO NOT ever consider the German LBA. They are among the worst for aircrew.

Contact Approach
25th Jul 2023, 07:48
The whole system is no longer fit for purpose and needs AI to take over.

His dudeness
25th Jul 2023, 11:15
The whole system is no longer fit for purpose and needs AI to take over.

Hmmm. I would just like "the authorities" do their jobs. And EASA needs to be stopped in their powertrip rails...

Contact Approach
25th Jul 2023, 11:20
Hmmm. I would just like "the authorities" do their jobs. And EASA needs to be stopped in their powertrip rails...
Yet they don't do their jobs. Let the robots actually provide the service we so desperately need without delay, opinion or human error.

Central Scrutinizer
4th Aug 2023, 08:37
Austro Control ticks all the boxes except for "fair pricing", although one could argue that you pay for what you get:

Answer the phone and speak directly to a licencing agent -> yes, possible.
Prompt email replies with useful answers -> yes
Quick turnaround of applications -> yes

Having a counter service -> I'm not sure they have one (never checked), but why would you need it anyway since the remote service is excellent!

Also, from experience, avoid the Spanish AESA at all costs.

Central Scrutinizer
4th Aug 2023, 08:40
Whatever/wherever you do/go, DO NOT ever consider the German LBA. They are among the worst for aircrew.

Agreed. If you decide you must work with the German LBA, they will give you even more work to do like the bloody ZÜP, linking your driver's record with your pilot's record (why would anyone want to undergo this bureaucratic torture ???)
Oh and go back to faxes. The Germans still love a good fax.

enzino
4th Aug 2023, 18:18
As others have said, Malta and Austro Control are popular. I heard good stuff also about the Danish authority.

As for me, I moved my license from Belgium, which was a requirement for my previous operator, to the Italian CAA. Opinions on them are mixed, but I have been more than satisfied with them, and I have one of their offices almost next to my crew room at the airport I operate from.

EGGW
5th Aug 2023, 07:34
Danish have been brilliant, great communication. Licence issue took a while, but other than that easy,

EGGW.

ANOpax
9th Aug 2023, 07:32
In my experience, they go out of their way to help you rather than seeing it as their mission in life to hinder you.

RudderTrimZero
9th Aug 2023, 12:54
Last year, the Latvian authority told me they could not process any conversions as the "person" responsible was on extended annual leave.:}

NutLoose
10th Aug 2023, 10:58
I always thought EASA when it formed from the multitude of Countries, was a flawed cost saving exercise, rather than improve those poor performing Countries up to a better standard that would cost money and take time, they dumbed every other Country down to the lowest denominator.

Klimax
11th Aug 2023, 20:32
Austro Control seems to be the easiest to work with, proven by the fact that the largest bizjet training provider have chosen them as their EASA licences provider for their EASA instructors.
Additionally you could always add one of those green EURO notes with the handover package to make sure it "happens" - it´s Austria after all! Not as clean as it could be yeah.

hoistop
25th Aug 2023, 14:26
I'm not sure I fully understand hoistop's response. I read that the OP was looking to SOLI to a 'better' authority, in which case that shouldn't be a problem unless your employer insists on a particular NAA.

Babbalito - then you need a sim acceptable to EASA and an EASA TRE.

I (mis)understood what he was asking. It is clear now he is talking pilot licence. This is not limited to any country and individuals are pretty much free to move within EU National Aviation Authorities.