Chuck Canuck
21st Jul 2023, 05:40
https://youtu.be/U4so56QBzWM

Akali Dal
21st Jul 2023, 07:17
Sphincter tightening…

Boeingdriver999
21st Jul 2023, 09:01
Nothing like a boot full of INTO wind rudder to give you a nice crosswind landing :ugh:

Capn Bloggs
21st Jul 2023, 09:11
Nothing like a boot full of INTO wind rudder to give you a nice crosswind landing
I suspect that was a desperate attempt to not go further right (note the left wing dip a little while before)! Good give-it-away though. :D :ok:​​​​​​​

FUMR
21st Jul 2023, 09:45
Click bait!

RexBanner
21st Jul 2023, 10:30
Some of the posters here are lucky enough to have never made a mistake in their aviation career, not to mention flew in an age where there weren’t cameras pointing at them from all angles.. The important thing to note here is that exactly the right decision was made to throw it away and have another go, which was done successfully and without further note.

Capt Fathom
21st Jul 2023, 11:24
I suspect that was a desperate attempt to not go further right

Yes. They were getting very close to the right hand edge of the runway, so unable to use left aileron, they stuck in a boot of left rudder. When that didn’t work, they went around.

The A380 could be a handful in some conditions bearing in mind It’s dimensions.

Lonewolf_50
21st Jul 2023, 12:09
The important thing to note here is that exactly the right decision was made to throw it away and have another go, which was done successfully and without further note. If only we could put flashing lights around this well presented point. :ok:

olster
21st Jul 2023, 12:44
I can confirm that the A380 can be a real handful in crosswind conditions due size and some Airbus control law complexities. To reiterate: which aviator among all the keyboard Chuck Yeagers here have not made mistakes or miscalculations (hint: we all have and certainly including me) ? Also to endorse the above, a sensible go around was carried out with presumably a subsequent satisfactory landing. Armchair critics eh?

Loose rivets
21st Jul 2023, 22:23
I'd love to see it. Can anyone put in the direct link so I can post the URL - please.

megan
22nd Jul 2023, 02:03
which aviator among all the keyboard Chuck Yeagers here have not made mistakesEven he made a mistake which totaled an airframe, and very nearly lost his life in the process, had the burns to prove it.

LR here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4so56QBzWM

Busdriver01
22nd Jul 2023, 08:09
Yes. They were getting very close to the right hand edge of the runway, so unable to use left aileron, they stuck in a boot of left rudder.

Sorry i'm going to need this one explaining to me, please? Why wouldn't they be able to use left aileron? Or do you just mean that because it had drifted downwind enough, de-crabbing would have put it over the edge of the runway - too much for a bit of aileron to correct at that point?

Agree with the main sentiment though - a well executed rejected landing, the safest option at that point. Well done nige!

kcockayne
22nd Jul 2023, 09:08
In 37 years of “watching a/c land for a living”, & the same time flying light a/c, I have seen a few of these spectacular landings. This one just differs, somewhat, because of the size of the aeroplane. Well handled, from my perspective.
I would like to congratulate the aircrew for being able to “walk away” from it. Well done !

Herod
22nd Jul 2023, 12:19
Another tip for finding some of these hidden posts. Click "Quote". A new page opens up with the link. Right click on the link and select "open link in new page"

Back on topic about mistakes. Thirty-nine years in aviation. Lots of mistakes, some trivial, some more serious. Now in well-earned, less scary, retirement.

FUMR
22nd Jul 2023, 14:34
I tell you what was much more fun to watch. Piston airliners back in their day. You could always guarantee at least one (if not more) "interesting" landings. No CCTV, mobile phones or video cameras in those days. Pity, it might show some of our younger viewers how mundane some of the above are.

DaveReidUK
22nd Jul 2023, 14:47
I'd love to see it. Can anyone put in the direct link so I can post the URL - please.

The first post does in fact consist solely of the link. Some (most) browsers render that as the relevant video embedded in the post; others don't seem to.

Although it doesn't appear to be used by many posters, PPRuNe does in fact have its own (YOUTUBE) tag (use square brackets), which tends to be a more reliable (though not foolproof) way of embedding a video in a post:

U4so56QBzWM

If all else fails then, as advised previously, you can always use the quote function to get at the URL posted by the originator.

Loose rivets
22nd Jul 2023, 17:53
Thanks, megan, Herod and Dave. All seemed to work but while Saab was gathering info about the problem alternative browsers didn't work either.

The 380 had a lot of concrete slip by as well as having to assess the harm in regaining footage to the right. I'd love to see the processing of the computers as it was all happening. I imagine the day when a black box will tell the flying pilot just what it would do if it was flying. We'd quickly go into a set of Standard Operating Expletives.

Herod
22nd Jul 2023, 18:10
Standard Operating Expletives. Not seen that one before.:ok:

Gargleblaster
22nd Jul 2023, 20:33
The whale seems to be able to land in enormous crosswinds when properly handled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdi-hnFrmag

India Four Two
22nd Jul 2023, 20:55
An interesting video. I particularly liked the section at the end where a B-52 does "precision runway light demolition".

PoppaJo
22nd Jul 2023, 22:01
Nothing like a boot full of INTO wind rudder to give you a nice crosswind landing https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies2/eusa_wall.gif

An A380 Pilot will be able to confirm, but I’m fairly sure that it’s the FBW correcting the sideslip, not the Pilot slamming the left pedal. Just Airbus control laws at play, it’s a split rudder and has different abilities vs other Airbus aircraft.

From what I understand the FBW detects the crosswind gusts as side slip, then corrects for it, ie the large deflection seen. It doesn’t care about the centreline, it just wants to remove the sideslip. That becomes an issue if one isn’t aligned and you are attempting to get back aligned at 10ft, meanwhile the drift continues to get worse and worse.

The lateral corrections you can see here would indicate they are possibly chasing the centreline. Certainly becomes very challenging in an aircraft with so much inertia, you let it go wondering in such conditions it’s very hard to bring it back. You also let it float (ie early flare here), the drift will get progressively worse, throw in the FBW correcting the slideslip, assuming you are not aligned, and it’s very messy.

They certainly took the right exit option here, landing this one, many will overdo the rudder once the gear hits and she will be all over the place.