PDA

View Full Version : G-TOTN - Isle of Man

lfc84
17th Jul 2023, 14:14
Aparently there's an incident underway involving a light aircraft near Port Erin, Isle of Man - understood to be G-TOTN

www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/watch-smoke-rising-from-bradda-head-after-incident/ (http://redirect.viglink.com/?key=71fe2139a887ad501313cd8cce3053c5&subId=2798251&u=https%3A//www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/watch-smoke-rising-from-bradda-head-after-incident/)

www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/emergency-services-dealing-with-incident-at-bradda/ (http://redirect.viglink.com/?key=71fe2139a887ad501313cd8cce3053c5&subId=2798251&u=https%3A//www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/emergency-services-dealing-with-incident-at-bradda/)

S-92A G-MCGJ is in attendance at the incident as "Rescue 936"

Hopefully this isn't as serious as it would first appear

peat
17th Jul 2023, 14:47
There is no way there were any survivors. I witnessed most of what happened bar the actual last section into the cliff. (But then heard the loud bang then could see the fire and smoke where the plane hit the cliff). It is so utterly strange what the ac was doing. I can’t understand it.

sycamore
17th Jul 2023, 16:35
PEAT,then go and tell the Police,who are asking for witnesses....sooner rather than later,before you discuss it with `mates`...
You may be the only witness depending where you were,what you saw,heard before,after etc,if you have pictures,etc.as that will all help the AAIB,who will be there by now..
and if you have pictures..do not `upload` to any sites....out of respect for any survivors/relatives...and your conscience..

Bergerie1
17th Jul 2023, 16:50
sycamore is right. You must preserve your own perception of the event intact without allowing it to be contaminated by the ideas of other people. Memory is very fickle!

peat
17th Jul 2023, 19:25
I did phone the police within 1 minute. Annoyingly i got thru to northern ireland police 3 times. So by the time i climbed up the hill and got a signal and got through to iom police it was 7 minutes after impact.
i did not take any photos or video. I was just concentrating on trying to phone the police.
they took my number and said they might contact me but havent so far.
i have also written down everything i can remember

JumpJumpJump
17th Jul 2023, 20:52
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/940x2000/screenshot_20230717_215045_twitter_06a4453671094690757d29353 9ed20ac9ac9f88f.jpg
Not looking good. Videos of the cliff side have been uploaded to other platforms, including twitter and news sites.

blind pew
17th Jul 2023, 21:02
I did phone the police within 1 minute. Annoyingly i got thru to northern ireland police 3 times. So by the time i climbed up the hill and got a signal and got through to iom police it was 7 minutes after impact.
i did not take any photos or video. I was just concentrating on trying to phone the police.
they took my number and said they might contact me but havent so far.
i have also written down everything i can remember
Had similar trying to report an arsonist that was setting fire to slieve foye in the republic ..got through to Northern Ireland 5 times..rang me back as though I was making a nuisance call- twice- eventually Dublin phoned me and the fire service was sent out about half an hour after the bloke had left. Each contact with the North they asked for a post code and road…told them I was up a mountain…couldn’t do anything without a post code…

sycamore
17th Jul 2023, 21:39
PEAT,well done; I think the AAIB might contact you as well.

foxmoth
17th Jul 2023, 21:41
Each contact with the North they asked for a post code and road…told them I was up a mountain…couldn’t do anything without a post code…

​​​​​​​try What3Words next time - most emergency services are using it these days and you don’t need a postcode

Ian_Wannabe
18th Jul 2023, 07:22
Looked after this aircraft and it's owner over a period of 14 years at my local field - very sad news. Such a lovely bloke.

peat
18th Jul 2023, 08:32
I doubt aaib will contact me. Ive heard nothing from the police. By time i got hold of them they will have had a lot of calls from people on the beach who would have seen the smoke coming over the hill and probably heard the bang.

was the aircraft based in uk? I had thought i hadnt seen that type of aircraft around ronaldsway.
just seeing a 172 type with its gear up made me think it was a bit different.
i just wish i was more observant.
i picked up very early on he was strangely low and said to my friend if that engine was going put put put i would be concerned. She just thought it was a sightseeing flight so once I thought that i pretty much didnt look at it again. Only a few other times as it turned. If i had looked as he approached the cliff i would have been able to tell the police exactly how he went in. As i had a clear view. But i just wasnt looking at that point.

Mike Flynn
18th Jul 2023, 09:47
It sadly appears to be a deliberate crash. Looking at where the aircraft hit the cliff and the strange track prior to the incident. Aircraft registered to I of M financial company.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1636x896/da80fd08_a5ff_4111_be8a_937a2402ce1a_5419a88c507dc2471480e56 359fb6a2148553a90.jpeg

The turn towards the cliff looks quite deliberate.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1070/062d4348_31ed_41e8_9423_ebcb4b5df4f4_219f0a044c6a26a9504d0f7 ee2c07064e35b1667.jpeg

JumpJumpJump
18th Jul 2023, 09:51
It sadly looks like a deliberate crash. Looking at where the aircraft hit the cliff and the strange track prior to the incident. Aircraft registered to I of M financial company.

could be a catastrophic failure with the tail coming off.

Nothing ruled in or out at this point.... but.... yeah..

Mike Flynn
18th Jul 2023, 10:04
It was a pressurised Centurian so an experienced pilot no doubt.The track prior to the accident appears to show some sort of contemplation prior to the crash. In recent years we have seen a number of pilots choose a similar exit.

peat
18th Jul 2023, 10:46
If there was a catastrophic failure ie a large portion of aircraft fell off i would have heard and seen it hit the water in that vicinity. I didnt. The only noise was background aircraft engine noise in the sky then massive bang. Then no background aircraft engine noise

sycamore
18th Jul 2023, 11:57
There are lots of seabirds around that point,nesting,flocking and if one happens to hit the w/screen it could easily give you a bad experience....
Also,prevailing wind is /was S-Wly,and can get you too close with no room to manoeuvre.

Ian_Wannabe
18th Jul 2023, 12:17
Better not to speculate until the inspection is completed. I'd hate for family to read theories of something done on purpose. It could have been a number of things.

treadigraph
18th Jul 2023, 13:10
A sad story.

It was a pressurised Centurian so an experienced pilot no doubt.

Not pressurised, just a straight 210M. One of Abelag's "renta" fleet of Cessnas in Belgium in the 1970s/80s I think, regular visitors to the UK.

Pilot DAR
20th Jul 2023, 10:54
Hello Posters,

I've removed some posts.

I don't think anyone truly knows the circumstances of the pilot hitting the cliff. So, speculating on a possible factor, and then going on about the speculation and it's relationship to a particular plane, or train, or anything else is rather drifting the topic to no value on a pilot chat group - agreed? If someone reading here genuinely needs emotional support, certainly reach out to anyone who might help. Otherwise, let's talk about piloting... okay?

Pilot DAR

FullOppositeRudder
20th Jul 2023, 23:49
Good call. Thank you.

Ian_Wannabe
21st Jul 2023, 09:18
Well moderated, good call. :D