PDA

View Full Version : UK Flight Training, Long Beach, CA

JohnnyPharm
31st Aug 2002, 17:27
I am now in the possesion of a Class I medical cert (well thats the first hurdle cleared).

I was thinking of training (ppl) in LA so I could view some of the silicon encrusted peeps while I was there

Anyone know anything about UKFT? I phoned them up regarding the JAA PPL and the agent was decent enough but tried to push me toward the "FAA, JAA compliant PPL ". Anyone shed some light on what this is? He says it is totally valid in the UK and is actually better than a JAA as it has a night rating and is cheaper. Is this true and would anyone reccomend it? or should I go for the JAA version straight off?

Any comments on UKFT, Long Beach.

carb
31st Aug 2002, 19:03
Did my PPL at UKFT in February, it's mostly fine... good instructors, well maintained aircraft and Long Beach is a superb airport... :cool:

Looking at the small print, which can be important, the contract I signed there was fair and well-explained relative to another flight school I flew from more recently. They've got a low-ish waiver threshold on the aircraft insurance, away-from-base fuel purchases are refunded at a realistic per-gallon rate, the accommodation is good value (whether apartment or the hotel) and in the event you have an aircraft technical problem someplace, at UKFT I was allowed to get a local mechanic to fix it and they then refunded the bill when I got back; at the other place I've flown, Britannia, when in similar difficulty away from base, we got a ride 'home' but the school insisted I was liable for parking charges for the aircraft whilst it sat waiting on the ramp at an intl airport over the weekend for them to go fix it themselves. :eek:

As for whether an FAA or JAR PPL is better, not sure about that, getting an FAA one certainly sticks two fingers up to the UK CAA and their hefty license issue fees and medical requirements, but somehow to me it doesn't seem a prudent idea to get a foreign license. I'm quite happy with my UK/JAR license (except for the strangely coloured wallet)... even if it's cost extra to obtain...

JohnnyPharm
31st Aug 2002, 19:44
What accomodation did you use? Were the appartments any good? Were there any JAA compliant students on the course with you? Are u planning to take your flying any further? I intend to go all the way so am not sure about this JAR compliant course?

Thanks for the answers above anyway.

Cheers mate

carb
31st Aug 2002, 20:14
I stayed at the Guesthouse hotel (think that was the name?!), good rate, their free transport sometimes a bit useless though, I just took the public bus from the airport some times, as I actually knew precisely when it would leave and that it wouldn't take me on the scenic route. The apartments are a bit sparse, but, very cheap and it'll be more social, with hindsight I'd have stayed there instead.

When I was there we were all doing JAA study, my instructor was UK-trained & qualified, and we got ground school tutorial sessions on UK airspace, charts, circuits, RT etc. May have changed now though, I've heard they've now hooked up with Rainbow Air across the other side of the airport, and I know my instructor has moved on... with a lot of schools it's the quality of your particular instructor that make the difference. This FAA (aka ICAO-compliant!) thing is a cunning plan to attract more students primarily on the basis you'll save even more money.

I'd have thought if you're planning on going commercial (I hope to!) then a UK licence is better to start with, but, I noticed the other day that one of the integrated ATPL places (Stapleford?) includes an FAA PPL rather than a UK/JAR PPL if you do your initial flying at their US location, so perhaps it doesn't matter anymore.

JohnnyPharm
31st Aug 2002, 22:17
Thanks for all the info, it has been a great help in making my decision. If you go modular it do do the ATPL it says any ICAO ppl will do to get you in. So am still a bit confused.

Cheers

One last question, oops sorry for being a pest.

Did you do the 45 or 55 hour package? They keep mentioning that you are unlikley to pass the 45 hours. Is this just a sales pitch too? Or are they more likely to fail you in order for you to pay for more hours? Finally how many students were there when you were there?

carb
1st Sep 2002, 01:52
Well, I did it in 47, despite gusty crosswinds everyday ;) ... though a couple others were into the 70s (which is quite normal, I believe!). If you sign up for 55 hours and make good progress then you can complete the night qualification within the PPL training. I wouldn't worry about them failing you to get more money, quite the reverse, I was impressed with the amount of effort going into coaching the students with difficulties.

There were only 4 or so other students (one or two instructors each!)... a unusually quiet time apparently with there having been some confusion around then over whether JAA training overseas would still be allowed by the CAA after the end of March.

Watch the number of hours of dual instruction, their 45hr rate includes 25hrs dual and 20 solo, but the training schedule that the instructors follow has 35dual/10solo as the normal minimums, and pretty much what I ended up logging, and therefore it cost marginally more than I'd planned. Was cool though, I learnt a lot!!

englishal
1st Sep 2002, 08:17
I believe they share instructors with Rainbow, who are mostly JAA PPL holders who've gone on and got the FAA CPL / ATPL / CFII (due to the unrealistic cost of getting one under JAA!). Their new outfit is very nicely set up, over at the end of 25L.

As far as packages go, get them to confirm in writing that should you need a re-test after the 55 hrs is complete, that you get it for free? Don't know if its changed, but the 55hr package used to include free re-test (GFT). I do know of a couple of people who partially failed and but the time the re-test came around, they were just outside their 55hr's. They got charged for the re-test as "the 55hr package had ended".....

On the whole though a well setup and run school, and since they have teamed up with Rainbow, which in my opinion were always better, you should have no problems. Also they have a UK rep which is always a good thing. I would recommend the Guesthouse hotel, after spending many drunken nights in Long Beach, its very central. Live Bait ;) is just up the road, and its not far from 2nd street with loads of Bars and restaraunts, some of the other accomodation is a bit far out I seem to remember.

Cheers
EA:)