PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Lights EGLL

Predator Jock
10th Jul 2023, 15:34
Hi all. It seems that navigation lights are required to be on when taxiing at Heathrow even during the day. Anyone have a reference for this so that I can gain credibility? Cheers.

stupotk
12th Jul 2023, 07:59
Hi all. It seems that navigation lights are required to be on when taxiing at Heathrow even during the day. Anyone have a reference for this so that I can gain credibility? Cheers.

I’ve attempted to do some digging but haven’t found much! It doesn’t look like there is anything in the UK AIP that states it is mandatory - either in GEN or Heathrow specific.

As a side note, the FAA do recommend aircraft to turn on navigation lights on the ground during the day. (AIM 4-3-23).

My guess is it is aircraft operator SOPs that stipulate that navigation lights should be left on, from a bit of research online it does appear to be best practice so that ground crew etc know the aircraft has electrical power active.

Not the most helpful answer I admit! Hopefully someone else will be along with more info!

chevvron
12th Jul 2023, 08:26
My guess is it is aircraft operator SOPs that stipulate that navigation lights should be left on, from a bit of research online it does appear to be best practice so that ground crew etc know the aircraft has electrical power active.

I think that's it, it's 'best practice' rather than mandatory.

Rwy1234
12th Jul 2023, 14:20
Under what circumstances would a pilot not want the Nav lights on when taxiing? Genuine question!

Predator Jock
13th Jul 2023, 00:24
Thanks for the replies.
Seems to be everyone choosing to put them on rather than being mandated.
Some operators would want them off when not required to save money.

VariablePitchP
13th Jul 2023, 06:11
Thanks for the replies.
Seems to be everyone choosing to put them on rather than being mandated.
Some operators would want them off when not required to save money.

Save money? That marginal they’re better off banning you from using the electrical seat motor in favour of manual levers instead to save money.

Far more expensive when your tailcone gets sliced off by another aircraft.

B2N2
13th Jul 2023, 07:47
My employers procedures requires navigation lights to be on anytime the aircraft is under power, either electrical (APU) or engines running.
Thats pretty universal.

DaveReidUK
13th Jul 2023, 08:17
My employers procedures requires navigation lights to be on anytime the aircraft is under power, either electrical (APU) or engines running.
Thats pretty universal.

It's a while now since I worked on the ramp, but I recall that switching on the anti-collision beacons was mandatory whenever engines were running. I don't remember any similar requirement for nav lights, but there may well have been one.

Fly3
14th Jul 2023, 02:04
Its been a while but I seem to remember that we switched the NAV lights ON when the flight deck was manned and electrical power was applied.

awair
14th Jul 2023, 10:05
Nav lights always on is typically to identify an electrically powered aircraft - when no-one is aboard. It is to prevent battery drain.

APU is normally shut-down on a night-stop. When ground power is removed, everything should go dark. If the lights remain on, with no ground power then someone left the (battery) switch on.

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
16th Jul 2023, 17:11
Lights on mean the aircraft is being used for Chemtrails. Surely everyone knows that.

HOVIS
16th Jul 2023, 17:56
Thats pretty universal.

This!
For some reason I now see pilots turning off the Nav lights as soon as the APU is shutdown.

Bizarre. If it has power, leave the damn things on. Let's everyone know it's powered.