PDA

View Full Version : Go arounds and turning to beacon

Paulm1949
19th Jun 2023, 20:08
Was looking at a app chart. They showed the go around to 2000ft then a turn after the airfield to 4000ft to where the beacon that was located on the airfield.

What happens if you go around before the threshold ? Would you climb to 4000ft then turn directly to the beacon ?

Cough
19th Jun 2023, 21:58
Was looking at a app chart. They showed the go around to 2000ft then a turn after the airfield to 4000ft to where the beacon that was located on the airfield.

What happens if you go around before the threshold ? Would you climb to 4000ft then turn directly to the beacon ?

Well, if you comply with the turn point, you'll not get back to the beacon. If you comply with the bit that say get back to the beacon then you won't comply with the turn point. So you'll not be able to do the and comply with the first or second bit.

Me? I'd fly far enough so I could turn back to the beacon. Whether that equates to 4000' or earlier who knows. I'd just have an idea of how far I wanted to go and then turn. In the real world mostly ATC would get in the way first with another clearance!!

AerocatS2A
19th Jun 2023, 23:55
The lateral part of a missed approach doesn't start until the missed approach point (on an ILS it's the point where the glide-slope intercepts the decision altitude), so in your example you'd climb straight ahead then once past the missed approach point and above 2000', turn to the beacon. If ATC want something different, they'll tell you.

Paulm1949
20th Jun 2023, 05:40
Thanks. But you could be too close to the airfield if you were already at 1500ft before you did the go around then would overshoot?

AerocatS2A
20th Jun 2023, 05:56
Would need to see the actual chart.