PDA

View Full Version : Heavy or not? Whose rules apply?

Check Airman
4th Jun 2023, 03:03
Hi all,

Interesting discussion today. The relevant part of the US carrier’s manual says that the heavy suffix is only added in the US, but not in the U.K.

CAP 413 2.30 days that the heavy suffix should be used on initial contact.

Whose rules do you follow? Company manual, or state procedures?

AerocatS2A
4th Jun 2023, 03:35
In my experience, company manuals regarding this sort of thing are just a handy summary of various state procedures. If the company manual differs from the state regulation I'd assume that the company hasn't kept up with a change or is just wrong and I'd follow the state procedures while also querying the company docs guy about the discrepancy. It's also possible the company has a dispensation from UK procedures because every company aircraft flying to the UK is heavy therefore it is superfluous to add the suffix.

sonicbum
5th Jun 2023, 09:45
Hi all,

Interesting discussion today. The relevant part of the US carrier’s manual says that the heavy suffix is only added in the US, but not in the U.K.

CAP 413 2.30 days that the heavy suffix should be used on initial contact.

Whose rules do you follow? Company manual, or state procedures?

Hi,

I believe the confusion is on whether you should had “heavy” for every transmission (FAA) or just at the check-in with the new ATCO (UK & ICAO).
Double check the wording on Your manuals.

AerocatS2A
5th Jun 2023, 10:37
Hi,

I believe the confusion is on whether you should had “heavy” for every transmission (FAA) or just at the check-in with the new ATCO (UK & ICAO).
Double check the wording on Your manuals.
That sounds quite likely.

Check Airman
5th Jun 2023, 14:35
You both may be on to something. Will have a look. Thanks.