PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA PPL issued 1993

3rd Jun 2023, 13:44
In addition to a current UK CAA Part-FCL licence, I still have a "brown" PPL, initially issued in 1993. Does that grant any extra privileges that the Part-FCL licence doesn't cover (albeit the brown licence doesn't currently have any valid Certificates of Experience)?

Fl1ingfrog
4th Jun 2023, 08:17
Your 'brown' licence together with a valid certificate of validation ( which is also associated with your Part-FCL licence), medical certificate; self declaration or class 2 etc is valid. The CAA, however, under pressure to comply with the EASA demands restricted the ICAO compliant UK PPL licence to UK airspace only. They are yet to reverse that.

The UK PPL is fully ICAO compliant and a valid IMC/IR and night rating may also be flown with the UK PPL. There are no added benefits but do not destroy it unless you can see into the future.

Whopity
4th Jun 2023, 17:13
Your National licence will also include a SLMG rating which can be activated by a GST, no requirement for CAA action. There is one drawback to the 93 document is that it doesn't contain an ELP assessment required since 2008. All current licence were replaced automatically, but if you didn't have a current medical certificate at that time yours would not have been updated. A 93 licence will also say Group A and not SEP. Initially Examiners signed Group A holders up as SEP but they might frown upon that now.

Fl1ingfrog
4th Jun 2023, 19:41
There is one drawback to the 93 document is that it doesn't contain an ELP

The OP tells us that hr holds a Part-FCL licence so presumably does have an ELP., but point taken.

Examiners signed Group A holders up as SEP but they might frown upon that now.​​​​​​​

Frown they might but who cares if someone takes an odd position, for they couldn't sustain such a view.

4th Jun 2023, 20:31
Thank you for your replies Gents, much appreciated that you took the time to reply.

Small typo on my part, the “brown” PPL was issued in 1983, not 1993. I presume that has no impact.

Cheers.

rudestuff
5th Jun 2023, 05:14
Small typo on my part, the “brown” PPL was issued in 1983, not 1993.
Did they have Airplanes back then?

BBK
5th Jun 2023, 07:23
No, because we had “aeroplanes”…:)

Fl1ingfrog
5th Jun 2023, 12:00
the “brown” PPL was issued in 1983, not 1993.

OK, an important check is to look at the expiry date of the licence. I can't remember the years but there are some PPL licenses issued in that period that had an expiry date and were not issued for life.

5th Jun 2023, 12:50
OK, an important check is to look at the expiry date of the licence. I can't remember the years but there are some PPL licenses issued in that period that had an expiry date and were not issued for life.

Thanks for the tip; no expiry date on mine.\

Cheers.

Whopity
5th Jun 2023, 16:22
I can't remember the years but there are some PPL licenses issued in that period that had an expiry date and were not issued for life.This occured in 1999 when the law changed ahead of the introduction of JAR-FCL in July 1999. The law change reduced the licence from lifetime to a 5 year validity. I believe the law changed around April 1999. The first JAA licences were issued around Sept 1999 so there was a period of about 6 months when National licences were issued with a 5 year validity.