PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR renewal question?

Dogged
4th May 2023, 13:17
Greetings,

I hold an FAA ATPL with a B777 type rating. Due to covid I have not flown too much. I have done 3 take offs and landings in a sim 2 weeks ago. My last full B777 renewal check ride was mid December 2022. I believe that if I am flying only occasionally on the B777 as Captain that I will need to have an IR check every 6 months in a sim to keep currency. I am not currently in the US but can travel easily. My question is: If my last full check ride was mid December, when is the latest date that I can do an IR check ride and still fly legally. Thanks !

421dog
4th May 2023, 13:26
(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, a person may act as pilot in command under IFR or weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR only if:

(1) Use of an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter or airship for maintaining instrument experience. Within the six calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performed and logged at least the following tasks and iterations in an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship, as appropriate, for the instrument rating privileges to be maintained in actual weather conditions, or under simulated conditions using a view-limiting device that involves having performed the following—

(i) Six instrument approaches.

(ii) Holding procedures and tasks.

(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigational electronic systems.

(2) Use of a full flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device for maintaining instrument experience. A pilot may accomplish the requirements in paragraph (c)(1) of this section in a full flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device provided the device represents the category of aircraft for the instrument rating privileges to be maintained and the pilot performs the tasks and iterations in simulated instrument conditions. A person may complete the instrument experience in any combination of an aircraft, full flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device.

You probably need an IPC

Dogged
4th May 2023, 14:06
If my last check was done mid December 2022 will I need a check by mid May, end of May, mid June or the end of June 2023. I find the way the regulations are written a bit confusing>
Thanks

EXDAC
4th May 2023, 14:14
If my last check was done mid December 2022 will I need a check by mid May, end of May, mid June or the end of June 2023. I find the way the regulations are written a bit confusing>
Thanks

This month is May. The preceding 6 months are April, March, February, January, December, and November.
You are legally instrument current until the end of June.

EXDAC
4th May 2023, 14:19
After the end of June you still have another 6 months to regain currency without needing an IPC. You cannot act as plot in command under IFR or in IMC between June and re-gaining currency.

Dogged
5th May 2023, 05:17
Thanks for the clarification EXDAC