PDA

View Full Version : Are Ryanair pilots leaving in big amounts?

Terrain Noted
30th Apr 2023, 17:48
They cancelled 220 flights this weekend apparently due to French ATC strike. Or they don’t have pilots enough?

DaveReidUK
30th Apr 2023, 18:42
Maybe it was because of the French ATC strike.

speed13ird
30th Apr 2023, 19:38
a quick google reveals 5860 pilots flying around 3000 daily rotations, so I don't see a pilot shortage

Terrain Noted
30th Apr 2023, 19:52
Nobody leaving? Everybody still happily brainwashed?

ATC Watcher
30th Apr 2023, 20:02
The French ATC strike is only on Monday ,and is not supported by the main controllers Union (SNCTA) and in any case with the overflying minimum service in place , it would not affect Ryanair ops much
.Delays yes, but not cancellations by the hundreds. Must be other resaons

Johnny F@rt Pants
30th Apr 2023, 20:45
Are Ryanair pilots leaving in big amounts?
YES

wiggy
30th Apr 2023, 20:54
There's been no, zero, nul, ATC action in France over the weekend.

As ATC Watcher says the French ATC one day action doesn't start until AM on Monday and DGAC have called for minimum service with a 33% reduction in flights into nominated major airports....

Diff Tail Shim
30th Apr 2023, 23:20
Are not loads joining?

ICEHOUSES
1st May 2023, 08:41
Remind me what the latest package and benefits is for experienced aircrew at FR, compared to other U.K. airlines, thought this airline was a copy of southwest airlines according to MOL without the associated high salaries and benefits there.

2Planks
1st May 2023, 09:24
Well, having had a Google around, I can’t find hundreds of ryanair cancellations ‘over the weekend’ but I can find lots about 220 cancellations today thanks to French ATC strikes on May 1st.

Given the OPs second post about brainwashing I sense an agenda.

Brian Pern
1st May 2023, 09:25
Where are they all going to?

kenparry
1st May 2023, 11:29
TUI and Jet2 among others

deltahotel
1st May 2023, 14:25
DHL air uk

Herod
1st May 2023, 18:22
Good luck with going to AirUK, which is what I presume you meant.

FUMR
1st May 2023, 18:42
Herod, actually DHL Air UK is correct. I shan't include the gen on it. Google it for further info.

speed13ird
1st May 2023, 20:36
erm, 220 cancellations from an airline with 3000 daily sectors, some reality checks needed here

Herod
1st May 2023, 21:02
Herod, actually DHL Air UK is correct. I shan't include the gen on it. Google it for further info.
Thanks FUMR. My mistake, I assumed it was talking about two airlines. The AirUK I was thinking of disappeared some 20 years ago.

FUMR
1st May 2023, 21:19
Thanks FUMR. My mistake, I assumed it was talking about two airlines. The AirUK I was thinking of disappeared some 20 years ago.

Cheers. A good airline it was too (and also as Air Anglia)!

CessNah
2nd May 2023, 07:13
Resignations still flying in record numbers and crew controllers desperately calling the current crew members to work on their days off. And it's only May :}

A320LGW
2nd May 2023, 07:42
I'm in a very big base and not been called to work an OFF day nor do I know any FO in any other base that has been. Lots resigning is the hottest rumour right now though. They seem to be getting around shortages by sending people to work out of base.

2Planks
2nd May 2023, 09:22
Can’t see any news regarding cancellations today at Ryanair. I don’t doubt some people move on to other airlines but it seems yesterday’s cancellations we’re all about the French ATC strike (publicised a few days ago by MOL himself) and not about a shortage of pilots.
BA also had cancellations.

zerograv
2nd May 2023, 10:51
If there were any flight cancellations before yesterday it was due to the weather. It will never be because of a staff shortage.

Was it 2017 in which there was a miscalculation and by October there were quite a number of crew that could not fly anymore til the end of the year.
The flights that were cancelled afterwards were cancelled because of difficult VMC weather conditions.

India Four Two
2nd May 2023, 15:34
difficult vmc weather conditions.

;)​​​​​​​

Aleks93
2nd May 2023, 15:50
Not as I heard of. My friend flies there and there is no increased amount of people leaving. Most probably it was because of ATC strikes that affected everyone

flygpilot
2nd May 2023, 17:01
I know a few pilots that are eager to join.
They do not have many other options.

ATC Watcher
2nd May 2023, 17:07
The flights that were cancelled afterwards were cancelled because of difficult VMC weather conditions.
I love British humor :ok:

WideScreen
2nd May 2023, 19:10
If there were any flight cancellations before yesterday it was due to the weather. It will never be because of a staff shortage.

Was it 2017 in which there was a miscalculation and by October there were quite a number of crew that could not fly anymore til the end of the year.
Aha, the Putin approach?

UAV689
9th May 2023, 22:35
Absolutely bucket loads are leaving, predominantly from the UK.

Senior FO’s off to the ME, BA, Jet2, VS.

Every new command is being put into UK at present.

Lots of new FO’s dropped into UK, and forced to pay visa (5k) upfront and takes about 8 weeks for Ryr to repay the cadet…

Roadshows currently taking place in Brazil, Argentina, Turkey and QR, LGW roadshow this week.

Not sure why any Brit would join FR when the terms at jet2 are so much better. The Brazilians/Argies will do it for a visa.

vilas
10th May 2023, 14:31
Pilots leaving can't be true. Ryan air and Boeing can't be congratulating themselves for an order of 300 new Max10.

UAV689
10th May 2023, 20:05
Pilots leaving can't be true. Ryan air and Boeing can't be congratulating themselves for an order of 300 new Max10.

New aircraft will not arrive until 2027, and the last of the current max’s arrive in Dec 2024, over 2 years to ramp up.

ZuluZuluAlpha
10th May 2023, 20:43
Not sure why any Brit would join FR when the terms at jet2 are so much better.
Because Jet2 generally don’t recruit low hour pilots, Ryanair do. Pretty good starting point getting an opportunity with a UK base with Ryanair I’d say…

Steve1968
11th May 2023, 14:29
Having seen a few rosters for the Jet 2 Stansted base in the last few weeks not a chance I would want to leave RYR,

CessNah
11th May 2023, 14:54
Given that this is pprune I’m very surprised at the disproportionately high numbers of company oriented replies on this thread, but given FR’s recent aggressive recruitment drive leads me to believe that management bots spamming this thread is very much a high possibility :E

Alrosa
11th May 2023, 15:11
Given that this is pprune I’m very surprised at the disproportionately high numbers of company oriented replies on this thread, but given FR’s recent aggressive recruitment drive leads me to believe that management bots spamming this thread is very much a high possibility :E

Not sure I’d agree with this. This website is awash with company oriented replies and it’s not limited to one company. I wouldn’t conclude that any pro company posts are management types. Just as likely to be folk who are content where they are and happy to share an alternative point of view.

I doubt any Ryanair managers would bother with pprune to be honest. Actions (or financial results) speak louder than words.

maxpeck
11th May 2023, 16:57
Having seen a few rosters for the Jet 2 Stansted base in the last few weeks not a chance I would want to leave RYR,
What were they like? Interested to know, were they mainly long 2 sector days , night flights etc?

hec7or
12th May 2023, 06:04
management bots spamming this thread is very much a high possibility :E

Foil hat alert

Steve1968
12th May 2023, 18:19
What were they like? Interested to know, were they mainly long 2 sector days , night flights etc?
Long days and random days off .6 days on and 2 off, 4 days on 1 off etc. Every one to their own but myself I have little interest whether I work hard or not in the winter its the good weather where I can spend time with the family, hobbies etc time that can never be regained.

maxpeck
12th May 2023, 18:41
Long days and random days off .6 days on and 2 off, 4 days on 1 off etc. Every one to their own but myself I have little interest whether I work hard or not in the winter its the good weather where I can spend time with the family, hobbies etc time that can never be regained.
Ok, thanks for the information.

JimT87
13th May 2023, 08:31
For an average month what does an FO expect to take home

Big Tudor
13th May 2023, 08:49

Don’t do 6on2off, nor do they do single days off, except in very rare circumstances.

rotorwills
15th May 2023, 06:25
Hearing about major disquiet in Buzz. Recruitment has reached such high levels that bases are overflowing with crew. As a result the summer earning potential has been more than decimated leading to very angry responses from cockpits boys and girls. Not only that but the recruitment of DEC has led to cancellation of all command upgrades this year so far and word is they won't need to restore till next year at the earliest. We're in the past year hours had been averaging 700 totals now they don't believe they will get to 500 hours. One has take into account, Buzz are a zero hour contract outfit, they did guarantee minimum of 30 hours monthly but Warsaw has used its position to enforce holidays days in order to get out of minimum hour guarantees,

I suppose the only reason to recruit at such speed and such high levels is to protect themselves from potential crew shortages brought about by moves to other airlines. Pretty much a guarantee that this type of management decisions will result in more unrest and potential company movements

Situation in UK is still fraught . There is pressure to fill the gaps of crew for the summer to complete its scheduled flights. Maybe it's going to be a holiday roster mixup!!!

Bradley Hardacre
17th May 2023, 19:03
Don’t do 6 on 2 off, nor do they do single days off, except in very rare circumstances.

So they do single days off

Steve1968
18th May 2023, 06:47
So they do single days off
That's what I saw on the rosters.

SR.OmaRSallaKH
18th May 2023, 06:49
What is "ATC strikes"

Consol
18th May 2023, 10:42
What is "ATC strikes"
A French national pastime.

Sick
18th May 2023, 11:19
So they do single days off A significant difference from Ryanair is that lates are usually followed by a rest day, (and line pilots mostly do lates), whereas at Ryanair, lates are directly followed by a day off, even if you are delayed and work into that day off. So the minimum 10 days off is somewhat bulked up by rest days; if those DOs were to come in singles, even more bulked up, plus you have DO&leave wrap hours. And I don't recall having had a single day off anyway.
Secondly, most late flights are ~9 hours block return, so you're out of hours by about 12 days of late flights.