PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen UK IFR manuals

Wrong Stuff
30th Aug 2002, 17:05
Looking at finally getting myself an IFR manual for the UK. Think I've now ruled out Aerad, but can't work out what the difference between the two Jeppesen products for the UK is.

They do two - UKI04 which comes out around £299 or TUK04 which costs around £170. The former does cover a slightly bigger area, but costs substantially more. Does anyone happen to know the difference between these two?? Transair advertise both, but couldn't tell me :(

Cheers,
Wrong Stuff

LPL
30th Aug 2002, 17:46
I have been using the TUKO4 for years, the only difference is that the more expensive version is updated fortnightly, whereas the 'cheapo' version is updated every four weeks.

I might just add that updating your airway manual every four weeks has got to be the most tedious and boring jobs that need doing, If anything needs to be computerised its airway manuals, and I think Jeppview, despite its expense 'might' be worth a consideration.

LPL

IFollowRoads
9th Sep 2002, 00:21
bit late in here (sorry, been busy!), but as an Aerad subscriber, sort of agree with the previous comments.

I subscribe to UK & Central Eurpope, and when the update comes through, I dread it - I reckon on 1 to 2 hours trawling through the 6 folders, and hope it all fits. Probably about 50/50, theres, something that either doesn't fit, or there's a missing page(s)

If only there was a better way........ perhaps a laptop & printer in the cockpit is the way forward....

Cheshire cat EGHH
9th Sep 2002, 13:09
Hello. I am Navigation control assistant at european airlines, who has worked with both aerads and jeps as well.

Following points..

A= aerads are good for night work, as the jepps paper when a light held on it is a little dificult to see becuase of its consistancy.

B= All plates have a lot of information to give.. jepps puts as much info on 1 page as it can, whereas aerads tends to spead it out, making more paperwork for you in the cockpit.. which is good for newbie pilots (easier to read).

C= rip factor, despite jeps thin paper, its actually made to be very durable, and will not rip or wear as quickly as aerads.

D= aerads are easier to photocopy (yes its illegal i know)

So best decision ...

a VFR pilot = aerads or jepps
VFR+ NIGHT pilot = aerads.
NEW VFR etc... aerads
IFR pilot...Jepps
IFR (who does a lot of night work )2 b worth it= aerads
Trainee airline/commercial pilots = jepps because airlines tend to use jepps rather than the aerads(takes up more space in cockpit).

I personally prefer Jepps, but its up to you.

hope the following helps!.
p.ss... revisions are dull yes, but then think of me!, thats my main job!.. and seriously, it gets better, becuase you realise how important it is.. and you get soo quick at it, that it doesn't last that long.

:D :D KEEP SMILING!! :D :D