PDA

View Full Version : Altimetry Around the World:

Richie2
30th Aug 2002, 14:15
In reference to an article in Professional Pilot Magazine (Aug 2002) I’m looking for more information:

The article mentions that China and Russia use QFE altitude, that is, altimeter setting reference to airport elevation (where field elevation equals ZERO feet). The aircraft’s altimeter will read ZERO feet when it is on the ground.
1. Are China and Russia the only two countries that do this (as the article implies)?
2. I’ve also been told (by a usually reliable source) that American Airlines uses (or used to use) QFE altitude even in the United States. Any feedback on that statement?
3. Are China and Russia the only two countries that use METERS for altitude assignments (as the article implies)?

The article also talks about “transition altitude” (18,000 feet in the U.S. and Canada) being different in many countries and that it is listed on the Approach Charts, SID’s, STAR’s, and “some” enroute charts. Examples given are London 6000 feet, Germany 5000 feet, and the Netherlands 2000 feet.
1. Are these altitudes correct (2000 feet seems awfully low)?
2. Are these altitudes correct for the entire country per se, or do they change from airport to airport within the country?

Seems like mass confusion to me.

What happened to ICAO?

Thanks for the help.

ORAC
30th Aug 2002, 15:31
Country Transition Alt
Austria 5000
Belgium 4500
Denmark 5000
France 4000
Germany 5000
G.Britain 6000
Hungary 7000
Iceland 7000
Ireland 5000
Italy 6000
Luxembourg 4500
Netherlands 3000
Norway 4000
Slovenia 10,500
Spain 6000
Sweden 5000
Switzerland 5000

Greenland appears to be on an airfield basis. e.g.
BGCO 6000
BGTL 6500
BGGH 7000

englishal
30th Aug 2002, 17:50
Transition alt even within the UK, varies from place to place(Bournemouth / solent is 4000'). I thought the idea of Trns alt was to switch from altitude to FL once above the highest surrounding terrain, which is why the US (mainland) use 18000'. This is pretty much the highest bit of granite. I believe Alaska is even higher....sort of makes sense. Don't know why the UK uses different altitudes though, 6000' across the board would make sense.

Cheers
EA:)

Bright-Ling
30th Aug 2002, 17:51
The UK is actually 3000 feet.......but in certain areas can be different.

The London TMA is 6000 as mentioned.

Confused - you will be.

Around the edge of the TMA you are at FL40 and then cross over the line and need to adjust to 4000' QNH.

I believe that thtere are moves afoot to make the UK all as one.

We'll see!

Spitoon
30th Aug 2002, 18:03
I believe there is a review going on in the UK at present so see whether a single transition altitude would be better than the variable (depending on the particular bit of airspace) one we have today.

The usual reason given for the TA being where it is is, as englishal says, to ensure that if there is terrain around that the altimeter is telling you how high you are relative to the ground. In this light 2000ft doesnt seem unreasonable for the Netherlands. Although 5000ft in Switzerland (as ORAC reports) seems strange. In truth, as long as the altitude/FL assignment procedures are sound, does it really matter what the TA is?

As for ICAO and standardisation, it's all there in ICAO. There are several sets of units that can be used by States - in the UK we use the Blue table. I can't remember how many there are but metric FLs are legit.

Different airlines use different settings for landing - it's a matter of preference largely. Twenty years ago in the UK almost everyone used QFE and now almost everyone uses QNH. There are pros and cons for both. Fortunately you'll find controllers are flexible enough to be able to accommodate both!

:)

OzExpat
31st Aug 2002, 13:40
Some more Transition Altitudes...

Australia :- 10,000 feet
Papua New Guinea : - 20,000 feet

chiglet
31st Aug 2002, 22:26
In the UK, I think that "Light A/c" use QFE for landing.
"Commercial Traffic" generally use QNH, but it depends on the Airline SOPs:confused:
US Carriers "tend" to use QNH, but don't quote me.:rolleyes:
Yes, It is a "can of worms":p
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

canberra
1st Sep 2002, 09:11
british military aviation uses qfe at its airfields. we went over to qnh in 90 but went back to qfe(thank god) on 92.