PDA

View Full Version : Delta pilot room raided on overnight in BOS

7p3i7lot
6th Apr 2023, 16:28
FBI handcuffs, interrogates innocent Delta Air Lines pilot in botched Boston training exercise | Fox News (https://www.foxnews.com/us/fbi-handcuffs-interrogates-innocent-delta-air-lines-pilot-botched-boston-training-exercise)

As if flying isn't hazardous enough now you have to watch out for USSOCOM/FBI on an overnight. I didn't think the US constitution allowed the US Military to partake in civilian police ops? Probably simulating a terrorist target . The lawyers will have fun with this one.

oceancrosser
6th Apr 2023, 17:09
That´s one rude awakening…

FUMR
6th Apr 2023, 18:13
You have to question the efficiency of the FBI when they can't even provide the correct room number to their agents. I hope we get to hear about the follow up to this as it should be interesting.

pattern_is_full
6th Apr 2023, 18:16
I didn't think the US constitution allowed the US Military to partake in civilian police ops? Probably simulating a terrorist target.

Quite right - it was training (for the Army folks), for a possible overseas scenario (“to simulate a situation their personnel might encounter in a deployed environment").

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/05/us/fbi-us-army-personnel-raid-wrong-room-hotel-guest/index.html

ImbracableCrunk
6th Apr 2023, 18:17
"If you call in fatigued, we'll have to cancel the trip. Are you sure you want to call in fatigued?"

HighWind
6th Apr 2023, 18:57
Wonder if they identify themselves as FBI when entering the room?

Does Castle Doctrine, and Stand your ground apply to hotel rooms ?
What would happened if the pilot had injured the agents?

EDLB
6th Apr 2023, 19:58
Hmm. Delta force raided Delta pilot. Thats where the mixup began?

MechEngr
6th Apr 2023, 23:08
Sure, they grabbed a pilot who was getting the sleep necessary to do his job, rousted him, proceeded to do hard questioning and likely ignoring anything he said. One report is he was shoved into the shower. I'm guessing it wasn't concern that he needed a shampoo and was likely freezing cold. Surprised no neighboring room occupants noticed the commotion, but maybe they started off threatening to kill him if he yelled, although that might be implied by the suddenness and the number of agents.

All that aside, there was supposed to be some guy in another room, on the clock, waiting for the door to open. Did he call and ask where the team was? Did he still get the off-shift pay bump?

I wish the pilot gets the same compensation any of those agents would expect if some civilian did the same to their wife or children while the agents were off doing playtime. That amount should be multiplied by the number of the terrorist agents and the supervisors who signed off on this idea, paid by liquidation of personal assets of the participants.

The echoes of the Daniel Shaver case are strong with this one.

BFSGrad
6th Apr 2023, 23:50
Does Castle Doctrine, and Stand your ground apply to hotel rooms ?
What would happened if the pilot had injured the agents?Massachusetts has a duty to retreat but what reasonable path of retreat was available? As for injuring the intruding federal personnel, what are the odds that a transient airline pilot staying in a Boston hotel has a weapon?

The media reports describe the federal personnel banging on the room door, the pilot opening the door, followed by the federal personnel “barging” into the room. If true, the opportunity for the hapless pilot to injure anyone is almost non-existent.

Sailvi767
7th Apr 2023, 01:25
If he was a FFDO he might well have been armed.

EEngr
7th Apr 2023, 02:34
I'm surprised that they conduct training like this among the general public. Rather than renting a facility, securing the perimeter and controlling the scenario.

Bksmithca
7th Apr 2023, 04:40
I'm surprised that they conduct training like this among the general public. Rather than renting a facility, securing the perimeter and controlling the scenario.I was thinking the same thing, they rented the whole floor but someone on the front desk made a boo boo or possibly the pilot requested that floor

Bull at a Gate
7th Apr 2023, 07:18
This brings back memories for those of us in Australia. Few had even heard of ASIS until this (scroll down to “The Sheraton Hotel Incident”): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Secret_Intelligence_Service

Fly3
8th Apr 2023, 00:09
The incompetence of American law enforcement beggars belief!

deja vu
8th Apr 2023, 01:23
The dangers of hotel overnight layovers for airline crew is not limited to incompetent law enforcement officers. Bit of a drift here but noted in a recent story about a guest murdered in a US hotel popular with some airlines for their crew's overnight stays. It seems the lady had been stabbed to death on the bed. The bed cover was taken for forensic examination and 87 different DNA hits were found on the cover.

I'm just glad I had retired when I heard this.

Big Pistons Forever
8th Apr 2023, 22:55
He got a "wake up" call allright, just not the one he was expecting. As for checking in for your next flight, that's an easy one. "Sorry crew sched can't do the flight due to the half bottle of Tequila I just chugged !"

Commander Taco
9th Apr 2023, 14:53
There was a case in Canada several years ago involving our Border Agents where, for training purposes, they were slipping small packets of cannabis into a small number of passenger’s luggage on arrival, the idea being that it was training for the sniffer dogs. Problem was, a few of the illicit packages were missed by the canine trainees and the Border Agents failed to retrieve those packages from the unwitting passenger’s luggage. A few surprises, no doubt, when the suitcases were unpacked at home. Canadian Border Services got a spanking for that one as they had severely violated the privacy of citizens. Customs, of course, does conduct the occasional secondary inspection involving a full search of luggage - would have been most embarrassing to anyone affected, to say the very least, if that had actually occurred.

visibility3miles
9th Apr 2023, 18:31
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/04/07/army-fbi-boston-hotel-training/

The team handcuffed and interrogated the man in a bathroom for 30 minutes, Boston news channel WCVB reported (https://www.wcvb.com/article/fbi-training-exercise-hotel-guest-airline-pilot-detained/43521646#). Then the group realized its mistake.

…“We’d like to extend our deepest apologies to the individual who was affected by the training exercise,”

…911 call made early Wednesday. Radio logs captured a seemingly confused dispatcher relay a bizarre report from hotel security — “bear with me on this one,” he says to a responding officer, before adding that a guest “had people claiming to be FBI agents barge into their room and handcuff them to the bathroom.”

​​​​​​​…other hotel guests described the incident as “very frightening” and “kind of creepy.”

blind pew
10th Apr 2023, 06:42
BA security held an exercise on a 747 where explosives were planted for security to find…someone messed up on the count after the exercise was finished and the missing pack wasn’t found until it had travelled around the world. Iirc the errant flight manager responsible ended up signing off on air miss reports for the authority.
DEJA VU; yup stayed in some filthy 5 star hotels and not just as crew, last one in London overlooking the Thames where I had to request the room to be cleaned three times as visible detritus on the floor.

crewmeal
10th Apr 2023, 09:09
The incompetence of American law enforcement beggars belief!

You think American law is incompetent then look at this...

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/652272-essex-police-arrest-pub-golliwogs.html

brakedwell
10th Apr 2023, 09:51
You think American law is incompetent then look at this...

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/652272-essex-police-arrest-pub-golliwogs.html

Golliwogs are dangerous animals!

EDLB
10th Apr 2023, 10:06
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/04/07/army-fbi-boston-hotel-training/
So it took them 30 minutes in the bathroom to figure out, that this is a real pilot. So much to the quality of US gov interrogation skills.

Next time may be reserve more time for talk and less for the waterboarding....

WideScreen
10th Apr 2023, 11:21
I was thinking the same thing, they rented the whole floor but someone on the front desk made a boo boo or possibly the pilot requested that floor
And, even then, they banged on the wrong door ?

LuckyLeftie
12th Apr 2023, 15:14
seems unlike a “training exercise”, a common parlance for live ops.

Big Pistons Forever
12th Apr 2023, 23:32
Best I heard was a training exercise for a VIP protective detail. They got permission to use a parked airliner for a drill. Office manager is posing as VIP and and is supposed to walk down steps and get into waiting car, but "threat" will occur at some point. Said threat (shots with blank ammo) duly occurs but miscoordination causes driver to hit the gas before VIP is in car resulting in car running over VIP's foot. Scream from VIP causes driver to stomp on brake which causes a fake bomb left over from the mornings drill (different crew) to slide out from under seat. Protection detail thinks it's real and bail out but driver leaves car in drive and the now driverless car runs into the side of the nearby hangar.

Herod
13th Apr 2023, 08:04
I assume the pilot will be suing the Feds? If he wins, he might not have to work for the rest of his life. :ok:

70 Mustang
21st Apr 2023, 12:48
This would qualify as a brilliant success!
the responsible manager will be promoted to a safe desk.

Best I heard was a training exercise for a VIP protective detail. They got permission to use a parked airliner for a drill. Office manager is posing as VIP and and is supposed to walk down steps and get into waiting car, but "threat" will occur at some point. Said threat (shots with blank ammo) duly occurs but miscoordination causes driver to hit the gas before VIP is in car resulting in car running over VIP's foot. Scream from VIP causes driver to stomp on brake which causes a fake bomb left over from the mornings drill (different crew) to slide out from under seat. Protection detail thinks it's real and bail out but driver leaves car in drive and the now driverless car runs into the side of the nearby hangar.

Timmy Tomkins
21st Apr 2023, 16:02
This would qualify as a brilliant success!
the responsible manager will be promoted to a safe desk.

Maybe the same guy who organised the recent Space X "brilliant success" or "Triumph" as one spokesperson said