PDA

View Full Version : CAA ground exam fee up

BigEndBob
1st Apr 2023, 21:21
I see another pound gone on ground exams, i assume this will happen every year.
I hear some clubs charging 40 a pop.
What is reasonable charge?

MrAverage
2nd Apr 2023, 12:55
I see another pound gone on ground exams, i assume this will happen every year.
I hear some clubs charging 40 a pop.
What is reasonable charge?
With the writtens, I could carry on with admin while invigilating easily from my office a few yards away. Since the onlines are done on a PC in another room and I have to ensure no questions are "googled", as well as all the normal constant checks for phone use or other forms of cheating, I can no longer be otherwise productive. To compensate for the lost time I added £10 per attempt to my old fee.

TheOddOne
3rd Apr 2023, 06:32
When I went to the seminar in Weston Super Mud they told us that the PPL e-exams were massively subsidised by the ATPL exam system, so gently getting some of it back seems OK to me.

I'm charging £25 to existing students but advertise £30 to newbies. I charge personally rather than through the Club. This saves them the VAT otherwise it would be another £6. The only benefit to the Club is their membership, which isn't subject to VAT.
Yes, I can still catch up on some admin while they're muttering away to themselves in the next room with no door between. I pop my head round every now and again to make sure they're playing it straight. I had one guy the other day called out 'finished' before I'd hardly sat down. He got 100%. Others stick at it until the machine declares 'time'. I've only had 2 failures since it all started, both Op Procedures and recently. Both passed on 2nd go.
Generally I arrange for exams to be taken when it's too bad outside to fly, frequent down here, so I'm not too fussed about loss of income.

TOO

BigEndBob
13th Apr 2023, 18:51
Another beef i had was being charged full wack to renew ground exam privilege only to find 2 weeks later they halved the fee.
I left it for months knowing this would happen sooner or later.