PDA

View Full Version : The Victors - LHR

Thunderbug
29th Aug 2002, 23:22
After a particularly protracted effort to reach one of the Victor stands at T4 LHR this evening I was wondering.........

We had to wait for two aircraft to leave the cul-de-sac before we could enter. Both heavies which then waited in Block 118 for crossing a rather busy 27L. The aircraft had to wait a fair time for a sufficient gap, and being held in 118 meant that they blocked any access into the victors. Why use this crossing point? Why not send aircraft down to cross at the 27L threshold whch would leave access to victors free?

I am sure there is a very obvious reason..........!:confused:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Aug 2002, 07:02
I hope one of my tower buddies will comment. I think it's because such traffic would infringe the 27L glidepath..

ATCO Two
30th Aug 2002, 10:44
Hi Bren,

Yes, correct as usual, as mentioned in the "lining up from the South" thread which has mysteriously disappeared from here! To cross at the threshold of 27L aircraft would have to hold at the CAT1 holding points in Blocks 94 and 95 which are a long way from the runway. As the aircraft began its crossing it would infringe the 27L glidepath causing severe deviations to the glidepath signal, so you would need about a 15 mile gap to cross safely in IFR conditions! MLS will solve this particular problem.

Block 85 is another option of course, but the nearer we can cross to the threshold the easier it is to achieve the manoeuvre, and using block 85 will conflict with inbound Tango and Sierra traffic. Terminal 4 noise and health and safety restrictions do not contribute to an expeditious operation either.