PDA

View Full Version : Floatplanes / seaplanes and riverine speed limits in the UK

Quartz-1
1st Mar 2023, 09:47
Indulge my curiosity, please! Do riverine speed limits apply to floatplanes / seaplanes? If I rock up in my (hypothetical, alas) Catalina or Otter in (say) Fowey or Aberdeen then I'm going to need to travel faster than the usual limit of 6 knots to land or take off. Even just moving around, it might be difficult to go so slow.

I found this old thread https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-417223.html but that doesn't really answer my question. That's more about where you can operate than speed limits.

ahwalk01
1st Mar 2023, 11:12
I imagine Loch lomond seaplanes have a view

meleagertoo
1st Mar 2023, 19:17
Most if not all UK estuaries, enclosed and inland waters and lakes have published speed limits. This may not be the case on the open sea, sea lochs and large inlets but it'll be pretty comprehensive. To exceed those limits you'll need the establishment of a marine aerodrome with defined boundaries, despite which all vessels have complete priority over you in your seaplane, or possibly a local exemption. Any enclosed water is privately owned and 'landowner's' permission is required just as it is anywhere else. There used to be one in the Solent near Calshott in the '70s and one in the Medway that lasted on charts into the early '80s I think. There may also be one on Loch Lomond and possibly one below Glasgow.
Taxiing will not absolve you from adhering to published speed limits elsewhere. As an aeroplane you're at the very bottom of the list as far as maritime priority and rights of ways go.
You might manage Fowey in your Catalina providing you pick a day when it is clear of yachts (which is never) but take it to Aberdeen and you can write it off before you've even landed. Even yachts don't survive there!

Quartz-1
2nd Mar 2023, 11:16
Most if not all UK estuaries, enclosed and inland waters and lakes have published speed limits.

Well yes, but I'm asking if and how those apply to seaplanes too. A seaplane that's 'landing' is likely going far faster, for example. The Catalina's stall speed is 65 knots - about 10 times faster than most speed limits so it literally cannot land any slower.

You might manage Fowey in your Catalina providing you pick a day when it is clear of yachts (which is never) but take it to Aberdeen and you can write it off before you've even landed. Even yachts don't survive there!

Actually, Catalinas flew from north Scotland in WW2. I've lunched with John Cruickshank VC who flew one. He flew from the Shetlands. (No, we didn't talk about the war.)

India Four Two
3rd Mar 2023, 05:51
I remember reading somewhere that the rules in Scotland are very different and more accommodating of floatplanes/flying boats than the English rules.

As ahwalk01 pointed out, Loch Lomond Seaplanes are probably very knowledgeable.

ahwalk01
3rd Mar 2023, 08:25
need to try some floatplanes north of the border - are there any good schools/tour operators?