PDA

View Full Version : New CAT3 midpoint and stopend RVR requirements

NGjockey
28th Feb 2023, 10:31
On October 30th 2022 updated requirements on All Weather Operations have come into effect according to EASA regulation (EU) 2021/2237.
According to the new requirements CATIIIA, CATIIIB and CATIIIC no longer exist as separate categories.
For an operator who has previously been certified for CATIIIA only (DH 50ft, RVR 200m) there used to be different minimum RVR requirements applicable for the midpoint and stopend zone (midpoint used to be 125m (or 75m if equipped with rollout guidance), stopend 75m).

What happened to these midpoint and stopend requirements? As it is described in manuals and checklist notes now it seems that ONLY the touchdown zone RVR is relevant and limiting. There is no mention of any midpoint and/or stopend RVR requirement anymore, leading to the assumption that an approach can be completed even if midpoint and/or stopend RVR are/is zero.

Is this so, or am I missing something here?

Looking forward to your educated inputs!

STBYRUD
28th Feb 2023, 11:41
I don't think so, and cross referencing the updated Lido Rules and Regulations and the equivalent Jeppesen text does not seem to confirm this either.

From EASA. quoting from the Explanatory Note to Decision 2022/013/R:

AMC1 ADR.OPS.B.045(a)(2) Low-visibility procedures: The AMC specifies the means to support different types of operations. Points (a) and (b) address standard CAT II/III operations and there is no difference with the current practices.

poldek77
28th Feb 2023, 14:39
On the website https://www.easa.europa.eu/community/topics/all-weather-operations-0 you can find AWO IMPLEMENTATION MANUAL V1.1
(or download directly via the link: https://www.easa.europa.eu/community/system/files/2023-01/AWO%20Implementation%20Manual%20Publication%20V1.1%20date%20 08.01.2023.pdf )

I have found the following text on p.19

3.5.2 Approach ban – CAT.OP.MPA.305 and related AMC&GM.
(...)
5- Additional RVR information (e.g., midpoint and stop end) are advisory and they should allow the pilot to determine if sufficient visual reference exist to control the aircraft during roll-out and taxi.

Hope it helps