PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an ATCO

Coke611
29th Aug 2002, 19:01
I've always wanted to be an Air Traffic Controller- I dont know what it is that appeals to me, I just like it !

I'm currently in my last year of complusary education (hooray!), and after college/uni etc, I am probably (90% sure) that I will get training down at bornebouth with NATS and become an ATCO.

I've got a few questions I'd like to ask though:

1)What is the job overall like? I know it is/can be stressful, but on the whole, what is it like? Now that you are an ATCO, would you want to do anything else?

2)What would help my chances of actually succeeding in getting past the 40% recruitment barrier? (I am currently training for my PPL)

3)Whats the pay like? I know that for the high earners (correct me if I'm wrong) that the pay is about £60K, but what about for a normal controller, at, say, Swanick?

Also any other info you might want to enlighted me to about the job would be much appreciated!

Cheers to all that reply,

Louis Coke

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Aug 2002, 19:07
You seem mega-confident about getting accepted Coke and I wish you well... How acn you be 90% sure you'll be acpted?

I'm coming to the end of my career - 36 years of working abroad and in the UK, the vast majority of those years in the Heathrow environment. I've enjoyed every minute and would do it all over if I could start again all those years ago. I'm not sure I'd like to start my career now though.

As a top of the salary scale working ATCOII I get about £60K

Coke611
29th Aug 2002, 19:19
I think that I put that 90% in the wrong place (thanks for pointing it out!). I meant that I am 90% sure that I will apply for training with NATS

5milesbaby
29th Aug 2002, 22:09
Coke611, I'm a few years into the valid pay scale now and still really love the job, and touching wood that I always will have a choice, will NEVER leave to do anything else.

The pay of £60k you've heard of as HD said is the top for an ATCO 2, who are the majority of area guys and gals at Swanwick, West Drayton, Scottish, and Manchester. I think that certain airfields are also Atco 2 postings, but unsure. The bottom of the scale starts around £30k, and expect £15k to start with should you be accepted for training.

The stress side of the job can be high, especially during busy periods, but I find as I like what I'm doing it doesn't really effect me that bad, I only get really wound up by management, but thats normally on another thread ;)

Ironically PPL's etc can be a problem, or were when I went through recruitment, due to the problem of gaining experience in aviation, and then hopping across to the willing airline at great expense to NATS. Its not so much a problem now due to the demand for ATCO's and the lack of flying hours given (its still only 15 hours max I think, but still great fun!!). The best way to prepare is to keep up to date with the goings on in and around the aviation world, new developments and methods. Try to get visits all over at ATC units and ask as much as you think you need to know either on them or definately here.

You sound keen enough in this and other postings, and thats a good 25% there already. Get some good experience in all sorts of things, and just stay calm come interview day. Good Luck.

fourthreethree
29th Aug 2002, 22:21
Didn't you make a similar post a couple of months ago?
Anyway, for what its worth, here are my answers to your questions.

1) The job is what you make of it. I know of people who hate it but it pays the bills, there are also chaps like me who get a real thrill out of doing the job well. Sure it can be stressful, but on balance I think that is a necessary part of doing the job, much the same as adrenalin keeps a stuntman going. The hardest part is being able to switch on whenever the traffic demands, it is a real-time environment so you can't put things off. The bonus of this is that as an ATCO there is no chance of taking your work home with you. Could I ever do anything else? Nah.

2) There are no barriers in recruitment, you can either do it or you can't. There is a lot of studying to be done, but straight from full time education, that should not be a problem for you. As long as you succeed in the theory part, you need to prove you have that undefineable "x-factor" which makes a controller. It can't be taught, just encouraged to develop. Only determination to do the job will really help.

3) Pay? You mean people get paid to do this? So where did I go wrong? Check the thread entitled "are controllers underpaid for such a stressful job" in this forum, but ignore the 95000 pound comments, that, I'm afraid, is fantasy. I believe as an ab initio with NATS you get about 17000 squid p/a plus a housing allowance of 800 per month. Don't quote me on this though.

Just out of interest, did you just apply to NATS or did you ponder the Eurocontrol option?

Hope my opinions are helpful/encourging/useful, and I wish you all the best with your application.

Darren Fletcher
30th Aug 2002, 12:09
hi coke i hope you are getting some A levels as i got turned down from NATS as i never had any do if yur just finishing your main education i would hope that you carry on and do some further education as well

Ironically i was told if i got the A levels would be reconsidered but as in 30 in NOV i now have no chance :o(

hope you do well in your carrer regardless of ATC or not

On Another note if you want to start doing ATC now you could visit
WWW.Vatsim-UK.net
we run a simulated ATC and pilot programs for the PC
the ATC use a program called Pro controller and the pilots fly with Microsofts flight simulator. we base ourselfs on real procedures so will put you in good stead.
we also have several members that are real ATC and Pilots to advise us on the right information one of which controls at Heathrow now.
see you soon - you will find me running Birmingham approach most nights
yours
Darren Fletcher
PR director
[email protected]

Vlad the Impaler
31st Aug 2002, 19:08
Just as a point of order I don't believe that there are ANY "NORMAL" controllers at Swanwick...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Dances with Boffins
2nd Sep 2002, 15:13
If you want to find out stuff, http://www.nats.co.uk is as good a place as any to start. NATS takes all applicants under 30 who are capable of doing the job, so don't bother about any percentage figures you may see in teh press. Also the housing supplement during training is 400 per month, pre-tax. Still more than your average paper-round.