PDA

View Full Version : SEP (Land) revalidation question

jkots
10th Feb 2023, 11:55
Hi,

I have a UK CAA CPL(A) with current SEP(Land).

I live and work in the USA on a temporary 3-year military tour, and am flying out here on an FAA PPL (Foreign Based), based on my UK CPL / SEP.

Having just entered the second year of my SEP I will certainly fly more than 12 hours as PIC, and will certainly do several flights with a US FAA CFI.

Would a UK FI be able to sign the ‘reval by experience’ of my SEP on my UK CPL on that basis, or would the ‘flight with an instructor’ have to be with a UK FI during a trip back in Blighty?

Thanks

rudestuff
10th Feb 2023, 12:56
I think it needs to be a UK instructor. But they do exist in the US especially in high density flight training areas like Florida.

awair
10th Feb 2023, 13:07
Good availability for UK/EASA FI/FE here in FL.

Fl1ingfrog
10th Feb 2023, 13:49
Yes, it does need to be with a UK Flight Instructor. If the instructional flight undertaken completes all the revalidation requirements then that instructor may sign your licence as revalidated. However, first ensure you have completed all required hours - the instructional flight is included in the 12 hours. If not then you will need a UK examiners signature later. Don't forget to submit the relevant form so that the CAA records that you have revalidated!

Whopity
13th Feb 2023, 14:45
A point to bear in mind, before a FI can sign your licence they must have FCL.945 endorsed in theirs. Also the hours flight with a FI can be any number of flights with any number of instructors totalling 1 hour. The instructors must now hold a UK Part FCL licence not EASA.

rudestuff
13th Feb 2023, 15:20
If you're going to fly plenty of hours, why not do a few hours with a CFI and get a standalone FAA certificate? If the SEP lapses then so what?

rarelyathome
13th Feb 2023, 22:58
A point to bear in mind, before a FI can sign your licence they must have FCL.945 endorsed in theirs. Also the hours flight with a FI can be any number of flights with any number of instructors totalling 1 hour. The instructors must now hold a UK Part FCL licence not EASA.
Whopity. Do yuo have a UK reference for the any number of flights, any number of instructors rule. It is what I understand to be the case, but can’t find the chapter and verse.

Stan Evil
15th Feb 2023, 17:24
Part FCL 740.A(b)
(ii) within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the rating, complete 12 hours of flight time in the relevant class, including:
— 6 hours as PIC,
— 12 take-offs and 12 landings, and
— refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with a flight instructor (FI) or a class rating instructor (CRI). Applicants shall be exempted from this refresher training if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency check, skill test or assessment of competence in any other class or type of aeroplane.

It's a 'total of 1 hour' which implies one or more flights. Whilst it says 'with a flight instructor', the UK view is that doesn't mean 'with only one flight instructor'.

selfin
15th Feb 2023, 17:40
It used to be limited to one instructor over no more than three flights. I too remember that this condition was dropped, but don't recall where.

UK Standards doc 14 ver 7 (Nov 2014), para 6.2:

A training flight of at least one hour with a Flight Instructor (FI) or Class Rating Instructor
(CRI). Note that this means an FI or CRI holding a valid EASA instructor certificate.
Note also that the UK CAA has filed an alternative acceptable means of compliance to
FCL.740.A such that this requirement may be satisfied if the applicant receives
instruction totalling at least one hour from the same instructor in the course of a
maximum of three flights. This is to cater, for example, for aerobatic flight training where
the duration of each flight may be limited, or for training flights that are curtailed due to
deteriorating weather conditions. Applicants shall be exempted from this flight if they
have passed a class or type rating proficiency check or skill test in any other class or
type of aeroplane.

That document is out of date, having not been updated to reflect the derogation in ORS4 No. 1090 (20 Mar 2015), point B 7, which exempts applicants who have passed a test/check/assessment on any class or type.

The same limitation as above was included in CAP 804, para 4.1.1 on pdf p 270, as an AltMoC and also notified in the (cancelled) IN–2015/034 (17 Apr 2015) (archived copy (https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search/result/?q=%22IN-2015/034%22&site=caa.co.uk)).

rarelyathome
15th Feb 2023, 21:33
It seems I’m not alone being unable to find the definitive regulation. All I can find is the 3 flights wording but I’m sure I saw somewhere a change that catered for shorter flights for, eg aeros, with multiple instructors, The one completing the 1 hour being the signatory for the reval.

BEagle
15th Feb 2023, 23:52
The CAA dropped the '3 flights all with the same instructor' clause when the EASA Aircrew Regulation was amended several years ago.

The definitive requirements are as stated in FCL.740.A, which is in Retained Regulation (EU) 1178/2011.

Whopity
16th Feb 2023, 15:33
FCL.740A
— refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with a flight instructor (FI) or a class rating instructor (CRI). Applicants shall be exempted from this refresher training if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency check, skill test or assessment of competence in any other class or type of aeroplane.
(2) When applicants hold both a single-engine piston aeroplane-land class rating and a TMG rating, they may complete the requirements of (1) in either class or a combination thereof, and achieve revalidation of both ratings.