PDA

View Full Version : C303 ??

Kav
29th Aug 2002, 16:34
G'day

I was wondering if anyone has had much experience with the C303 (Crusader) ??

I have heard they have a Light Airframe and the Engines are built lightly - both being compared to other airframes and engines.

Are they maintance expensive ?:confused:

Are they easy to obtain spare pairs ?:confused:

Are they passenger friendly - for both Private and Exec/Charter use ?:confused:

Any help and advice with this type of aircraft would be greatly appreciated. Would any advise purchasing this type of aircraft compared to other smaller twins.

Cheers:D

gaunty
30th Aug 2002, 02:14
Kav

From what you described the C303 would be an excellent choice for your boss.

It's a great private owners and charter aircraft and a terrific performer if you understand how to operate it and the design philosophy.

I sold most of the new ones in the country.

I have heard they have a Light Airframe and the Engines are built lightly - both being compared to other airframes and engines.

Is a load of complete and utter toss typical of the usual "informed comment" you get around the patch and in the aero club bars.
This'll get some "informed" argument.:rolleyes:

Are they maintance expensive ?

NO they are a very simple aircraft (being designed from a fresh sheet of paper) and should be much cheaper than say a Baron or C310.

Are they easy to obtain spare parts

NO more or less than any other aircraft.

Are they passenger friendly - for both Private and Exec/Charter use

You bet your bippy. Passengers love the air stair entry and club seating, they are quiet and comfortable.

They would also be the SAFEST piston twin around BAR NONE as far as flying characteristics and performance are concerned.
I'll give you a clue, I would be happy to give the keys to a competent C210 driver without ANY twin experience with the knowledge that he would have a real hard time getting into trouble.
"But then if it is that easy it is not a REAL twin is it." :rolleyes: was the comment from a local CP legend in his own lunchbox.:eek: Thus proving the case for why the business in OZ is still in the early Pleiocene.:p

I would buy one of these before a C310, which it replaced, a Seneca or a B58.

I dont know what the market is but suspect you would have to pay towards $350,000 for one.

D.Lamination
31st Aug 2002, 02:44
The T303 is a nice plane for all the reasons mentioned above. Just check the payload/range numbers meet your requirements. It can't go that far with 6 POB.

As I recall the 310 has normally aspirated 285hp IO520's and the 303 has 250hp Turbo'ed IO520's.

Since the 303 is a bigger airframe (albeit with a cleaner wing etc) It is not as good as the 310 at getting the payload off the ground but being Turbo'ed keeps the performance, so if you want to use oxygen you can get some nice TAS number in the mid teens.

Cheers

Capt Vegemite
1st Sep 2002, 02:32
Gosh shows what a dinosaur I am didnt even know what a 303 was:eek:
Are there any in the top end?

D.Lamination
1st Sep 2002, 04:56
I believe the first T303 Crusader in Oz went to Katherine in the 80's VH-TLsomething with Tillair - that one is now on the Gold Coast I think.

I also know there was a 303 at Borroloola until recently - don't know if it still there. There are less than 10 in the country total.

megle2
6th Sep 2002, 02:47
There is a 303 at Archerfield

Has been grounded for months

Problem with parts maybe ?