PDA

View Full Version : Keep Arthur Scarf's VC medal in the UK

Jhieminga
27th Jan 2023, 12:48
There is a GoFundMe campaign here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-the-scarf-vc that aims to collect £250,000 to keep the VC medal awarded to Arthur Scarf in the UK. I don't have all the details, but apparently it was sold at auction to an overseas buyer but the museum has been given the option to match the bid and keep it here. This is one of only 22 VCs awarded to RAF personnel and the only one relating to actions in the Far East. If the campaign is succesful, the museum will use their own funds and a grant to get to the total amount needed. Worth a look. The name Arthur Scarf VC flew on VC10 C1(K) XV109 for 42 years, moving to ZA147 for an additional three years before the type was retired.

Asturias56
28th Jan 2023, 08:22
Amazing that the Funding page has zero details on why he got the VC and why it should be saved.

personally I think there are better uses for £ 250k in the aviation history world

India Four Two
28th Jan 2023, 16:31
I agree with Asturias. It is remarkable that the fund raisers do not mention the circumstances of the award.

On 9 December 1941 in Malaya, near the Thailand border, all available aircraft had been ordered to make a daylight raid on Singora (where the Imperial Japanese Army was invading). Squadron Leader Scarf, as leader of the raid, had just taken off from the base at Butterworth when enemy aircraft swept in destroying or disabling all the rest of the machines. Scarf decided nevertheless to fly alone to Singora. Despite attacks from roving fighters he completed his bombing run and was on his way back when his aircraft became riddled with bullets and he was severely wounded, his left arm had been shattered, he had a large hole in his back and was drifting in and out of consciousness. He managed to crash-land the Blenheim at Alor Star, without causing any injury to his crew, and was rushed to hospital where he died two hours later.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Scarf

A very brave chap, but I do wonder about his decision to press on with the operation as the sole aircraft.

I also agree with Asturias that there are better uses for the money.

Herod
28th Jan 2023, 21:32
OK, I'll bite. Better uses for the money? Remember, this is the ROYAL AIR FORCE museum we are talking about. We tend to have the very bad habit of remembering, recognising and honouring our people.

If you don't agree with the RAF wanting to secure an RAF VC, fine. Just don't donate.

Fournierf5
29th Jan 2023, 00:50
Amazing that the Funding page has zero details on why he got the VC and why it should be saved.

personally I think there are better uses for £ 250k in the aviation history world

Not quite sure what you are looking at ... BUT ... the details of his actions are on the funding site [click 'READ MORE]

although . . [from another site . . . .it maybe to late]
## a decision on an export application for the Victoria Cross will be deferred until the 27th January 2023. Therefore, the prospective buyer must raise £660,000 ( plus VAT of £22,000 which can be reclaimed ) before this date.

Fournierf5
3rd Feb 2023, 00:17
Not quite sure what you are looking at ... BUT ... the details of his actions are on the funding site [click 'READ MORE]

although . . [from another site . . . .it maybe to late]
## a decision on an export application for the Victoria Cross will be deferred until the 27th January 2023. Therefore, the prospective buyer must raise £660,000 ( plus VAT of £22,000 which can be reclaimed ) before this date.

AN UPDATE . . !
A second deferral period has now been announced until the 30th April 2023

Jhieminga
3rd Feb 2023, 13:55
See also: https://www.forces.net/services/raf/imminent-risk-raf-museum-works-save-war-heros-victoria-cross-medal
The GoFundMe page has been updated to reflect the end of April 2023 deadline for this fundraiser.

Haraka
4th Feb 2023, 05:33
It will go well with the line of RAF Hats exhibit no doubt .......