PDA

View Full Version : It has begun…..

mince
17th Jan 2023, 02:31
Network Aviation is now offering a $15k sign on bonus for type rated applicants…..

The pilot shortage is really starting to bite in Aus I feel.

Trigger Happy
17th Jan 2023, 02:44
Source?

DropYourSocks
17th Jan 2023, 02:45
Bonuses of roughly this amount started in the US around '17-'18. I wonder if Aus will follow a similar trajectory wrt to increases in pay and QoL, move quicker than what the US did, or slower. I hope for everyone's sake it doesn't take the same 5 years to finally get what you're owed, given the sacrifices Aus pilots have been asked to make lately.

Amalek
17th Jan 2023, 02:52
Do they hire non Australian pilots?

PoppaJo
17th Jan 2023, 02:53
Pilot shortage or just a s***hole that nobody wants to work at?

tiger-palm
17th Jan 2023, 02:57
Network Aviation is now offering a $15k sign on bonus for type rates applicants…..

The experienced pilot shortage has been here for a while and will progressively get worse . A sign on bonus will not help, it's purely a short-term band aid solution. The real issue is the gradual erosion of T&C's over many years . Once upon a time it was a great career to get into, now that's long gone, let's face it the industry isn't sexy anymore and isn't attracting the bright young Gen X, Y , Z 's .

davidclarke
17th Jan 2023, 03:10
Lol. This is actually amusing.

Any pilot with half a brain (most pilots) will realise pretty quickly it’s actually a $7500 bonus ,once you take tax and super out. So pretty much equivalent to a mainline pilot fortnight’s take home pay……..

What garbage.

Qantas group management are truly living in a state of altered consciousness if they think this will change anything.

As mentioned above the only thing that will attract pilots is more money (a lot) and better conditions.

davidclarke
17th Jan 2023, 03:12
Source?

https://qantas.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Qantas_Careers/job/Perth-Network-Aviation/Network-Aviation-First-Officer_R83224

Icarus2001
17th Jan 2023, 03:27
*Applicants who hold F100 or A320 type rating on their Australian CASA Flight Crew Licence, are current on the aircraft type and are successful through the recruitment process are eligible for a $15,000 sign on bonus (with conditions). 50% of the sign on bonus will be paid upon check to line, with the remaining 50% to be paid on completion of 6 months service with Network Aviation.

Please note that non-type rated applicants are currently not eligible for the sign on bonus.

Hardly generous given they save upwards of $25,000 not having to type rate an applicant.

Oh and they make you wait 6 months for 50% of it. Hilarious.

Qantas group management are truly living in a state of altered consciousness if they think this will change anything.

As mentioned above the only thing that will attract pilots is more money (a lot) and better conditions.

​​​​​​​On a positive note, this is how it starts, they are testing the water and will up the offer later.

davidclarke
17th Jan 2023, 03:35
A sign on bonus will only help when followed up with years of service bonuses. Keeping the pilots you have is just as important as recruiting new ones. Network are good at neither….

Or maybe just maybe they could increase base remuneration………

kimbobimbo
17th Jan 2023, 03:57
Network Aviation is now offering a $15k sign on bonus for type rates applicants…..

This isn’t new or even news. NAA was offering more than this prior to covid. Just history repeating…

Ilyushin76
17th Jan 2023, 04:46
About time they add pilots to the skill shortage list.

Icarus2001
17th Jan 2023, 06:23
Your wish has been granted Ilyushin76…

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skill-occupation-list

davidclarke
17th Jan 2023, 06:36
About time they add pilots to the skill shortage list.

No shortage of pilots just, a shortage of pilots willing to work for the meagre conditions offered by most Australian airlines and charter operators. The fact that we lost 700 pilots to the US last year just serves to reinforce the fact that there is no shortage……..

dr dre
17th Jan 2023, 08:43
Anyone with A320 time is looking at far better options than NAA. I think the main targets for this "bonus" are those with F100 time in WA at VARA, Alliance or Skippers, who may be tempted to jump across the tarmac for a quick 30 pieces of silver. But the VARA peeps are looking at future of being upgraded to the 737 so not much interest to jump across the tarmac from them. F100 rated peeps at Alliance or Skippers who may jump at a bit of extra cash, but after tax it's only about an extra $8-10,000 as a one off payment, so even those already rated on the F100 at those operators have much better options elsewhere.

If this proposal attracts more than an extra 3 people to NAA I'd be surprised.

A sign on bonus will only help when followed up with years of service bonuses. Keeping the pilots you have is just as important as recruiting new ones. Network are good at neither….

Or maybe just maybe they could increase base remuneration………

An NAA Captain is paid much less than a Mainline F/O. Why would any sane person wish to stay for that kind of dough when there are better options in existence?

To truly keep them NAA would have to increase pay substantially (about an extra $100k pa) which would kill their low pay business model.

Ollie Onion
17th Jan 2023, 09:05
Pfft, Jetstar NZ was offering $20k sign on bonuses 14 years ago, not sure it is a sign of a pilot shortage as much as attracting people onto a **** contract.

Kulwin Park
17th Jan 2023, 09:15
Pilot shortage or just a s***hole that nobody wants to work at?
Every place with demand needs workers - whether its a **** hole or not !! Its just want they're willing to pay ????

Worked in plenty of **** holes albeit I got paid very well and purchased a house with it after 1 year

tossbag
17th Jan 2023, 09:21
and purchased a house with it after 1 year

You must have lived in a ****hole as well.

Kulwin Park
17th Jan 2023, 09:30
Well purchased a do-err-upper in an average suburb, but it led to capital growth and better & bigger things.
Had to start somewhere & the deposit was substantial

gordonfvckingramsay
17th Jan 2023, 09:48
The LCC model adopted by the mother ship is biting them nicely now. $15k before tax needs to be the tip of the iceberg if they are serious about keeping anything in the air.

RichardJones
17th Jan 2023, 10:16
Good news indeed!! The operators will have to start paying better money now, in order to retain people.

Angle of Attack
17th Jan 2023, 12:39
I think the whole point is no one is staying in these ****ty subsidiaries, they are getting experience then going to greener pastures. Why would you stay? Until the sign on bonus is 300k don’t bother…

gordonfvckingramsay
17th Jan 2023, 21:26
I think the whole point is no one is staying in these ****ty subsidiaries, they are getting experience then going to greener pastures. Why would you stay? Until the sign on bonus is 300k don’t bother…

Or the geniuses running these airlines realise (like almost every other industry) that people require a decent living wage and a lifestyle to boot.

A $300k signing bonus would be very nice but after a few years you’re right back where you started…BASE pay and BASE conditions need to improve, not just one off inducements.

neville_nobody
17th Jan 2023, 21:27
Unfortunately if a real shortage actually occurs the operators will just get the government to allow foreigners in. That will fix any labour supply issue.

Icarus2001
17th Jan 2023, 22:21
Unfortunately if a real shortage actually occurs the operators will just get the government to allow foreigners in. That will fix any labour supply issue.

​​​​​​​Where do you think foreigners in any significant numbers are going to come from? They just don’t exist.

PoppaJo
17th Jan 2023, 23:01
Most operators in Asia including loco’s offer a better deal vs Network, why would they move?

AirAsia A320/1 both seats with average OT will earn more compared to NAA.

Brakerider
17th Jan 2023, 23:12
Most operators in Asia including loco’s offer a better deal vs Network, why would they move?

AirAsia A320/1 both seats with average OT will earn more compared to NAA.

to live in Australia….there would be no shortage of those looking to bring their family to greener pastures. It’s not about the job, but the opportunities outside of work

Icarus2001
17th Jan 2023, 23:24
to live in Australia….there would be no shortage of those looking to bring their family to greener pastures. It’s not about the job, but the opportunities outside of work

Australia has a lot of great things going for it but I think you are deluding yourself. They certainly are not coming for the cheap housing, reliable power supply, education system, high speed internet or the laid back attitude to regulation. You can however drink the water from the tap, mostly.

Global Aviator
17th Jan 2023, 23:28
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1170x1178/3cf4f5d1_8964_421a_b344_50bb82841ec9_02e5bd48d5f2855e93948c8 535b1ba46c4ab1637.jpeg
Malaysia’s newest airline, look at the pay rates. Certainly on the way up for Malaysia. It will be interesting to see when their local talent pool dries up what happens next. Malaysia is a cheap country to live in.

PoppaJo
17th Jan 2023, 23:55

Flying off every second weekend on your days off to your yacht parked up in the Phil or Thailand, maid and nanny at your leisure, top level education, the list goes on.

Australia is great, but Asia can be great too. Many will come here to retire and fly up every few months and set sail.

gordonfvckingramsay
18th Jan 2023, 00:42
Flying off every second weekend on your days off to your yacht parked up in the Phil or Thailand, maid and nanny at your leisure, top level education, the list goes on.

Australia is great, but Asia can be great too. Many will come here to retire and fly up every few months and set sail.

Yeah, but we’re pilots mate.

Slippery_Pete
18th Jan 2023, 01:53
I wouldn’t think any pilot with half a brain would take a once off bribe over compounding base salary…. But then I remember bin chickens will do anything for a chip.

Anyone who takes this deal is essentially pissing on their colleagues and our profession as a whole.

How many will prostitute themselves I wonder? Based on how many did it by buying an endorsement when Jetstar started up, I’m guessing lots.

Icarus2001
18th Jan 2023, 02:10
Based on how many did it by buying an endorsement when Jetstar started up, I’m guessing lots.

​​​​​​​Virgin Blue under JR?

t_cas
18th Jan 2023, 02:36
It is not a sign on bonus. There are conditions. It is not paid at sign on. Essentially it is no different to the hyped HR over promise and under deliver nature of airline operations in Australia.
Furthermore. $15K. Is a saving of huge proportion given the conditions attached to the “bonus”. A grasp at poaching “ready to go” current on type crew.

aussieflyboy
18th Jan 2023, 09:52
Is this the same Network Aviation that has had an expired EA for multiple years?

kimbobimbo
18th Jan 2023, 11:18
Is this the same Network Aviation that has had an expired EA for multiple years?

Yes, it’s Qantas owned. Therefore the expired ea thing is implied.

Boomerang
21st Jan 2023, 09:36
If you were aiming for mainline, probably worth more to stay outside the group (external applicant). Once you become an internal applicant, it’s not only if QF wants you, but also if/when NAA will let you go, at least that’s what I’ve heard anecdotally. And not just NAA.

PPRuNeUser01531
22nd Jan 2023, 00:22
Time for unions and management to have a big pow wow about levelling the playing field right across the QF group in regards to flying wages and conditions. Imagine being able to make unrestricted lifestyle choices about where and what you live/fly. Advantages to all involved would be ongoing both financially and ethically.

Willie Nelson
23rd Jan 2023, 22:40
Yep, compounding increases to base salary is the only way to go. One of bits of tinsel will fade and don't help your colleagues.