PDA

View Full Version : Cessnas in the UK

MikeSamuel
29th Aug 2002, 09:03
Just done some work experience maintaining new Cessnas. Was wondering how they get from the factory (Kansas, I think) to the UK. Are they flown over with long range tanks or shipped in a crate or some other way?

Regards

MS:cool:

Captain Stable
29th Aug 2002, 09:14
The majority come over in a box. You can fit two to a standard container.

Some are ferried over. No idea about the relevant costs - I suspect that ferrying is more expensive (and risky!).

Wycombe
29th Aug 2002, 11:47
Hello Mike,

For sure some of those that have been through WAC in the last couple of years were ferried, as I've seen them shortly after arrival with the large tank still in the back.

With all the Nav kit these a/c have now, the only additional bit I believe you'd need is an HF Radio.

Cheers, Wyc

Nopax,thanx
29th Aug 2002, 12:16
Back in the old days when I was on the puddlejumpers (mid to late 70's) the smaller Cessnas were supplied in Europe by Reims Aviation in France, who built them under licence. The more powerful singles, and the twins, came from the States with a ferry tank strapped to the floor in the back.

Pipers were different, as they all came from the USA. I think most of these were ferried, but possibly the PA-38's came knocked down and were re-assembled by the Distributor. Beeches were all bigger and more powerful, and could manage a transatlantic trip no problem.

The build quality of the French aircraft was good, and they came with internal structure pre-primed - the Wichita birds didn't have that as standard.

These days, they don't build anything like the amount in France, and the new 172 is only available from the USA. I assume that they ferry them, 'cause with GPS and the like, and also the higher cost of the unit (back in 1978 a new 150 was £15k!!!!!) there is more margin for delivery; it wasn't such a viable option twenty-five years ago.

Of course, with pre-owned aircraft it is worth buying them Stateside, disassembling and putting in a container. There was a thriving business in this activity a few years ago. It's all really down to the value of the aircraft in question at the time.

incubus
30th Aug 2002, 08:07
With all the Nav kit these a/c have now, the only additional bit I believe you'd need is an HF Radio
An additional engine would be nice.