PDA

View Full Version : Christmas border force airport strike

Flying Hi
7th Dec 2022, 15:13
BBC announcing that Border Force will strike for the full period 23/12 to 01/01/23.
That'll have a serious impact, to put it mildly, on any overseas holidays and schedules International flights.

SWBKCB
7th Dec 2022, 16:11
About 1,000 Border Force staff are expected to walk out on eight days between 23 December and New Year's Eve at Birmingham, Cardiff, Glasgow, Gatwick, Heathrow (terminals 2, 3, 4 and 5) and Manchester airports, as well as at the port of Newhaven.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63893115

golfbananajam
7th Dec 2022, 16:16
BBC announcing that Border Force will strike for the full period 23/12 to 01/01/23.
That'll have a serious impact, to put it mildly, on any overseas holidays and schedules International flights.

Bring in the redcaps and snowdrops.

Alex Whittingham
7th Dec 2022, 16:23
Mr Serwotka warned the government against bringing in the military to cover for the strikes, saying there was not enough time to train them properly.

​​​​​​​Discuss

Less Hair
7th Dec 2022, 16:29
1000 trained policemen should be available anytime?

Flying Hi
7th Dec 2022, 16:56
Rather than doing their job of 'Policing' you mean?

Less Hair
7th Dec 2022, 17:11
There must be reserves. Should global Christmas peak travel be permitted to be blocked by industrial action like this? (Won't be affected myself in any way)

pax britanica
7th Dec 2022, 17:40
Winter of discontent mark 2 , although London bus staff settled today I believe .

It does say somethign aboutt he mood of many workign people that they are willing to support strikes . I mean it was always thought NHS and nurses would never strike. As a result they get badly paid and eventual turn and bite.

Anti strike legislation , always a favourite of the blue party , would be a big mistake just at the moment with the party mired in internal strife and some truly gigantic lookign scandals over PPE and 'Friends and Family' of government memebers

jethro15
7th Dec 2022, 18:05
Given the level of local crime, I dare you to come into my neighbourhood and suggest that.

langleybaston
7th Dec 2022, 20:21
Border Force are indispensable in anything other than the shortest terms] but several of the current strike organisations are damaging their industries which were in grave danger of terminal decline anyway:

Post Office and Railways. The PO is increasingly threatened by half a dozen very efficient and rapid rivals, and passenger rail has declined substantially due to WFH and the Great Retirement.

This could be the winter of disconnect ........ the great British Public voting with their feet.

Doctor Cruces
7th Dec 2022, 21:09
Border Force are indispensable in anything other than the shortest terms] but several of the current strike organisations are damaging their industries which were in grave danger of terminal decline anyway:

Post Office and Railways. The PO is increasingly threatened by half a dozen very efficient and rapid rivals, and passenger rail has declined substantially due to WFH and the Great Retirement.

This could be the winter of disconnect ........ the great British Public voting with their feet.

The railways need to get their acts together, no wonder they say they need reform. Many years ago I used the train to get to work but gave it up and drove instead because all too frequently the train I needed to use just didn't turn up. There wasn't an earlier one so I just stopped using rail travel.

Flying Hi
7th Dec 2022, 21:13
The railways need to get their acts together, no wonder they say they need reform. Many years ago I used the train to get to work but gave it up and drove instead because all too frequently the train I needed to use just didn't turn up. There wasn't an earlier one so I just stopped using rail travel.
Funnily enough that happened to our local bus xervice. The Operator cut back the xervice shen Gov pulled its subsidy and early and late buses stopped. Went back to using the car.

ATC Watcher
7th Dec 2022, 21:26
Well at least the thousands of migrants waiting to get in the UK will be happy, kind of Christmas present for them.
And for the legal citizens thinking they can travel to France via the train instead in that period , the good old SNCF staff is planning a strike for both Christmas and New Year periods too.,
Nice times,

Nil by mouth
7th Dec 2022, 22:00
Striking does not help their image and being described as 'Border Farce'.

The term "Country going to the dogs" springs to mind.

ChrisVJ
7th Dec 2022, 22:38
Dogs are more reliable and they don't strike. (Well mine does when I call him but that's just Gucci.)

Stockportcounty
8th Dec 2022, 00:20
Get used to it.

Less Hair
8th Dec 2022, 09:14
Airport strikes won't help to keep the UK on the global travel route map after Brexit.

DuncanDoenitz
8th Dec 2022, 09:53
Positive side of this: as we all go to hell in a handcart, at least there'll be no queues at immigration.

Less Hair
8th Dec 2022, 09:57
Speaking about Hel, Helsinki might be a good place to divert within OW.

Luc Lion
8th Dec 2022, 10:44
In many countries, strikes are the only mean available to help salaries follow somewhat the pace of inflation.
In a handful of countries other means are in place which, while being also imperfect, don't halt an entire sector activity.
Deciding to install these alternate means is politically difficult : it requires courage and the ability to walk away from common mantra.

threep
9th Dec 2022, 09:42
I'll be caught up in this as SLF coming back into LHR early on 31 Dec. I'm crossing my fingers that they won't be cancelling long haul flights and that the ePassport gates will be working flawlessly!!

Flying Hi
10th Dec 2022, 18:43
I'll admit to being puzzled here.
Border Force force go on strike for 10 days. No pay for them.
Mr /Mrs Border Force (being very woke' here) at home wonders where the money is going to come from to cover up to two weeks with no money coming in to feed the kids, the family and pay the bills.
Even worse case for Mrs Train Driver.
10% pay rise will barely cover their lost income. So what will they do to retrieve that situation? I guess go on strike for even more pay.
Is it just me or - - - -

WideScreen
11th Dec 2022, 03:08
Mr /Mrs Border Force (being very woke' here) at home wonders where the money is going to come from to cover up to two weeks with no money coming in to feed the kids, the family and pay the bills.
10% pay rise will barely cover their lost income. So what will they do to retrieve that situation? I guess go on strike for even more pay.
Is it just me or - - - -
It's just you, your reasoning does have some serious flaws.

The incoming will (usually) be compensated by union pay-outs, union savings from previously paid union contribution.
The income gain will benefit for the whole future, vs. the "just once" costs.
The income gain will work through in percentage for future gains (call it compound interest, and you'll get it).

SWBKCB
11th Dec 2022, 08:23
Agreed - the civil service unions are currently just pulling out workers in key areas, and they are supported by the union at large.

Flying Hi
11th Dec 2022, 08:38
It's just you, your reasoning does have some serious flaws.

The incoming will (usually) be compensated by union pay-outs, union savings from previously paid union contribution.
The income gain will benefit for the whole future, vs. the "just once" costs.
The income gain will work through in percentage for future gains (call it compound interest, and you'll get it).
Thank you for the perspective. Never having been in a Union I didnt know that.

HOVIS
11th Dec 2022, 08:44
Is it just me or - - - -
It's not all about the money. Train drivers are not the ones going on strike or demanding a 10% pay rise. Its the much lower paid ancillary and maintenance personnel that are in dispute. These strikes are far more complex than the media has been portraying. EG. They plan to close all train station ticket offices.

Flying Hi
11th Dec 2022, 08:53
It's not all about the money. Train drivers are not the ones going on strike or demanding a 10% pay rise. Its the much lower paid ancillary and maintenance personnel that are in dispute. These strikes are far more complex than the media has been portraying. EG. They plan to close all train station ticket offices.
I get it. Remove the infrastructure and everything grinds to a halt. I did wonder, as we have a distant relative Avanti main line train driver (now retired). who was on some serious money and I couldn't see him striking as one of the downtrodden masses.

teddybear44
17th Dec 2022, 08:35

I doubt it. Some basic research suggests a Border Force officer, once security vetted, requires at least 3 months of training to be operational. And another 3 months to be fully trained in everything. I'm guessing, like anything of this nature, it's the years of experience that make the difference in being efficient and effective.