PDA

View Full Version : Curious

virtualpilot1460
24th Nov 2022, 18:47
Wondering if anybody can help me try and find a way into RL aviation. I have plenty of virtual experience and i know that it's no comparison to RL experience but this is due to being partially sighted in my left eye, I had a squint operation as a child and did were glasses but I don't no longer, my right eye does about 98% of my seeing and I have always been told I can't fly and I have been rejected by RAF back in 2005 but that was for a ground role.

So I'm asking any pilots that have a similar issue and secured a PPL and are the regs different for Microlight flying? Rather find out as much as I can to maybe avoid a trip down to Gatwick for a medical

Virtual Pilot (Nathan)

Jan Olieslagers
24th Nov 2022, 19:50
Welcome to this forum! Kindly explain what you mean by "RL"? It makes me a bit, err, curious :)

Prop swinger
24th Nov 2022, 21:04
The rules are different for microlights; if you're allowed to drive a car, you can fly a microlight. I don't think monocular vision automatically rules you out from holding a Class 2 medical but you would have to ask an AME (https://www.caa.co.uk/commercial-industry/pilot-licences/find-an-ame/) for the full story.

virtualpilot1460
24th Nov 2022, 22:48
Welcome to this forum! Kindly explain what you mean by "RL"? It makes me a bit, err, curious :)
Real Life

Pilot DAR
25th Nov 2022, 03:05
Welcome Virtual Pilot,

In a nudge nudge, wink wink nice way, I'll say that aviation is real life, it's computer simulations of it which are not real! I mean that truth in a humorous way...

Contact a medical examiner for detail on what can be accepted. The standards are published, and generally, fairly clear. Monocular vision is not disqualifying, though may be limiting. I have known monocular applicants who earned a PPL here in Canada.

Fl1ingfrog
25th Nov 2022, 10:52
Monocular vision is not a bar in the UK. It is well understood that someone with monocular vision (particularly from birth or when very young) using this limitation well may be more effective than those with 20/20 vision who do not.

As already said, contact a local CAA Air Medical Examiner (AME). The CAA publish a list. Your condition is not unusual and you will get a clear unambiguous answer. There are many Pilots who have sight in one eye only, there are various licensing options and the AME will also advise you on these.

MrAverage
26th Nov 2022, 08:36
Roughly where are you in the country 1460? My ex DCFI has been down a similar path, albeit later in life.

virtualpilot1460
27th Nov 2022, 10:02
I'm based in North West, I reached out to an AME in Manchester and this was the response:

----EMAIL CONTENT---- It's possible for pilots to get a class 2 (PPL) medical with poor vision in one eye. I've attached some guidelines. Currently you wouldn't be able to fly commercially in the UK.

Obviously there are no guarantees - I would need to see you for a medical and would ask that you bring all of the hospital records and opticians records that you have. There may be a requirement to arrange further referrals/assessments etc. but I would be able to advise you further after I've seen you.

Medical is £180 so it maybe worth it for a clear answer, also I've been looking at BMAA microlights...... I'm really tempted :) but in the UK its not going to be as toasty as a PPL....... Plus I'd like a roof

733driver
27th Nov 2022, 19:18
I'm based in North West, I reached out to an AME in Manchester and this was the response:

----EMAIL CONTENT----

Medical is £180 so it maybe worth it for a clear answer, also I've been looking at BMAA microlights...... I'm really tempted :) but in the UK its not going to be as toasty as a PPL....... Plus I'd like a roof

Plenty of microlights with roof and heating. If two seat VFR is all you want/need then I'd strongly recommended looking at microlights. There are some great ones out there.

Fl1ingfrog
27th Nov 2022, 19:23
I'm really tempted https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif but in the UK its not going to be as toasty as a PPL....... Plus I'd like a roof

The classification Microlite has become a misnomer in many respects. They range from a pod underslung from a fabric flexible wing to highly sophisticated Kevlar types; fast and equipped with advanced navigation and flight instrumentation.

Prop swinger
27th Nov 2022, 22:03
Also, the CAA are looking at rationalising pilot training for UK licences. It's still in the early stages but their proposals are that you could start out with a microlight licence &, over time, with further training & testing, turn it into a PPL.

BEagle
27th Nov 2022, 22:53
Also, the CAA are looking at rationalising pilot training for UK licences. It's still in the early stages but their proposals are that you could start out with a microlight licence &, over time, with further training & testing, turn it into a PPL.

Except that what they're proposing is unnecessarily complicated and could take years to come into effect. Whereas all they have to do really is to restore the pre-Apr 2018 conversion requirements!

Prop swinger
28th Nov 2022, 16:44
The NPPL(A) microlight to SSEA route still exists; it was never removed, just limited to non-EASA aircraft. However, an NPPL(A) SSEA is still a sub-ICAO licence, is (mostly) confined to UK airspace & can't have any instrument rating added.

The CAA's proposals are short on detail but it seems the intent is to allow pilots to start with a simple recreational licence & add further classes & ratings over time. It doesn't seem that complicated & certainly simpler than the mish mash of legacy UK licences & legacy EASA licences.

virtualpilot1460
28th Nov 2022, 17:02
WOW loads of information and some has gone above my head at the moment, I think I'm going to research more into Microlights and see what happens in terms of expanding it into a PPL at some point in the future, so here's my plan (once Christmas is sorted)

1. Look into and arrange for a first flight in a Microlight and enquire on the training process

2. Arrange a Medical visit to get a clear answer in terms of my eyesight and assessments

3. Start to acquire the funds and training.

You guys are awesome

Genghis the Engineer
28th Nov 2022, 17:28
This might be useful.

https://www.bmaa.org/try-microlighting/schools-and-clubs-search

G

virtualpilot1460
7th Dec 2022, 18:36
Been talking to my boss (who also had sight issues but let his medical lapse) is it a good idea to go get an eye test first before Medical

Fl1ingfrog
8th Dec 2022, 09:10
Yes but make sure the optician understands why you require the test: such as a measure of the peripheral vision. The AME that you intend to see will advise you best.

Jim59
8th Dec 2022, 10:51
When I had problems with one eye I discussed it with my AME. He told me which optician to see and what tests he wanted done. The optician had equipment I've not seen at my usual high street chain opticians and sent the results to the AME. He gave me a medical. Don't second guess the AME.

virtualpilot1460
8th Dec 2022, 11:11
Thank you, I shall book the visit with the AME and get what I need to show an optician and keep you all updated likely.tp be in new year :)

virtualpilot1460
11th Dec 2022, 10:43
Good Morning all!

just to let you know that I've booked my very first Medical for February 15th in Manchester, I'm bricking myself already to be honest, it's a day that will spell out the start of a new hobby or ground me pernamently. I will of course let you all know can somebody point my in the direction of the CAA licensing guidelines I tried but its a minefeild

Thanks for your support

Prop swinger
11th Dec 2022, 10:57
If you mean the medical requirements, look at Annex IV here (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:02011R1178-20200408&from=EN#tocId307)

(Euro law but copied & pasted into UK law).

virtualpilot1460
11th Dec 2022, 13:41
Sorry I should have been more specific - i will look at that but i ment general guidelines, the stuff that every pilot should read etc

Prop swinger
11th Dec 2022, 16:26
CAA's Skyway code (https://www.caa.co.uk/general-aviation/safety-publications-and-information/the-skyway-code/) might be useful, AFE PPL course books (https://www.afeonline.com/shop/afe-ppl-course-series-pack.html?osCsid=6v2k42rskq8tdh1lctdri9jr47) or the Air Pilot's manual (https://transair.co.uk/pilot-training/ppl-flight-training/air-pilots-manuals/air-pilots-manuals?code=9300) are good for general understanding & studying for the exams. The books are also available individually if you don't want to buy the full set.

Andres Belgy
29th Dec 2022, 12:45
Hi, For what's worth it:

I have been denied a Medical Class 2 due to monocular vision. However, I must mention that I don't have any depth perception.
It is true that you are able to obtain a Class 2 if you have reduced depth perception.
I received a LAPL instead. But I am Belgian, not UK.

Happy holidays!

Whopity
29th Dec 2022, 19:21
I used to fly with two pilots in the RAF who only had one eye each.

megan
30th Dec 2022, 00:59
Wiley Post was a one eyed pilot, flew the first earth circumnavigation in a single engine aircraft and was the developer of the first practical pressure suit for high altitude flightI used to fly with two pilots in the RAF who only had one eye eachWe had two chaps who when they flew together had a pair of hands between them. One had lost the fingers on one hand through a farming accident, the other had lost the fingers on one hand when he landed on a booby trapped artillery shell.