PDA

View Full Version : Qantas despatch to arrive WLG after curfew

Chris2303
23rd Nov 2022, 04:46
Can't find the original thread

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/three-hour-transtasman-qantas-flight-turns-into-15-hour-journey-passengers-forced-to-sleep-on-the-ground-at-auckland-international-airport/L7Z7RN4VUVBS5LDROV6XFX4C6I/

blubak
23rd Nov 2022, 06:00
Can't find the original thread

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/three-hour-transtasman-qantas-flight-turns-into-15-hour-journey-passengers-forced-to-sleep-on-the-ground-at-auckland-international-airport/L7Z7RN4VUVBS5LDROV6XFX4C6I/
I am pretty sure this is not the 1st time this has happened & the last time was not very long ago. Is it really so hard to work out that a curfew is not going to be met before the aircraft actually departs. The weather being bad in sydney could well be a very valid excuse for a late departure but there is no excuse for trying to beat a curfew when it is obvious that it is impossible to achieve..

unobtanium
24th Nov 2022, 07:28
I am pretty sure this is not the 1st time this has happened & the last time was not very long ago. Is it really so hard to work out that a curfew is not going to be met before the aircraft actually departs. The weather being bad in sydney could well be a very valid excuse for a late departure but there is no excuse for trying to beat a curfew when it is obvious that it is impossible to achieve..

What did yous expect, flying from one 3rd world airport to another.... oh wait 3rd world nation airport's are actually much better.

witwiw
24th Nov 2022, 08:41
I may be cynical but is it a case of shifting the problem to someone else rather than dealing with it at its source once it became obvious curfew restrictions couldn’t be met?
Sure, there is the diversion cost (did they get to WLG and then divert or divert en-route when the penny dropped?) but QF avoided the greater cost of accommodating the pax in SYD. Once pax have been accepted for a flight and gone through CIQ, it is my understanding that the airline is responsible for them. Hotel costs in SYD for possibly 100 plus pax wouldn’t be cheap (and then also having to clear the pax back into the country if the flight is scrubbed) - much cheaper and convenient to handball the problem to the Kiwis. After all, sleeping on an airport terminal floor costs QF nothing.
They may well “apologise for the inconvenience” but do they really care, I mean REALLY care?

Angle of Attack
24th Nov 2022, 09:11
If I was operating the flight and it was clear we couldn’t beat curfew, and no dispensation granted I would have returned to SYD. But I guess this was a Jetcinnect crew, just get to NZ and then sort it out.

cLeArIcE
24th Nov 2022, 09:21
Can't the pic just say no at QF? Seen it plenty of times at JQ with Sydney curfew

Eclan
24th Nov 2022, 09:53
What did yous expect, flying from one 3rd world airport to another.... oh wait 3rd world nation airports are actually much better.
You forgot to mention a third world airline. Ironic, really, as some of the third world airlines actually do a better job of delivering the product. The difference here is the people doing the job are first-language English-speakers. (And you can drink the water.)

BuzzBox
24th Nov 2022, 13:37
What disgraceful behaviour by Qantas. The airline knew the aircraft was diverting to Auckland. Why weren’t there Qantas ground staff or their handling agents on hand to help deal with the passengers when they arrived in Auckland? Does Qantas even care about passengers, or are they just an embuggerance?

gordonfvckingramsay
25th Nov 2022, 03:22
What disgraceful behaviour by Qantas. The airline knew the aircraft was diverting to Auckland. Why weren’t there Qantas ground staff or their handling agents on hand to help deal with the passengers when they arrived in Auckland? Does Qantas even care about passengers, or are they just an embuggerance?

A very good question and one best put to whomever Qantas outsourced that function to. It’s a minor miracle when you get full the service even with an on time scheduled arrival, let alone anything off schedule or impromptu.