PDA

View Full Version : OK, somebody come to my rescue! (aimed at anyone who flies in the vicinity of London)

Haul By Cable
28th Aug 2002, 14:38
If someone was based in central London and wanted to go fly at weekends, but didn't have a car, which airport would you recommend?

(i.e. which have rail or bus links?)

P.S. It's not me, but I was asked and have NO time to investigate today or tomorrow. Please help, you get to chastise me for being lazy !!! :D

FlyingForFun
28th Aug 2002, 14:45
I don't think there are any airfields with rail or bus links direct from London, but most of the airfields near London will have a station which is close enough to get a taxi.

My personal recommendation would be White Waltham, which is where I fly from. It's about £6 by cab from Maidenhead station (which I've done once or twice when the car's been in the garage, or when I've been drinking), and it's just about walking distance, too, if your friend doesn't mind a half-hour walk.

FFF
-------------

PilotOnline
28th Aug 2002, 14:47
Denham is a good bet. I did my PPL there without a car and didn't find it a problem. Trains leave from Marlybone every half hour to 45 mins. Takes 30 mins to Denham station then a 15 min walk to the airfield.

I'm planning on training for my CPL at Stapleford which again is commutable but I think it takes a bit longer to get there as the tube and bus has to be used!!

Elvis21
28th Aug 2002, 15:08
City Airport or there is a small one at Heathrow if you are keen:D

Haul By Cable
28th Aug 2002, 15:15
Ha-Haa! Better watch out Elvis, you're gonna cut yourself one of these days! :D :D

Thanks for responding FFF and Pilot O' :)

Does anybody have an idea if places like Elstree, Blackbushe or Redhill are an option by rail? Indeed, are there any others?

Stampe
28th Aug 2002, 15:48
Rochester frequent trains from several London main line stations 45 minutes from Victoria to Chatham (the airports actually mainly in Chatham) regular bus at least every half hour sometimes more frequent the 101 from Chatham Station to Maidstone stops right outside airport maingate.Hotel on airport everything you need and its a prtetty friendly field.

Wrong Stuff
28th Aug 2002, 15:52
For Elstree you can get the Thameslink to Elstree station (from London Bridge / Blackfriars / Farringdon / Kings Cross) then it's a 10 min taxi - about £8 IIRC. All-in both ways adds about £20 to each flight :(

Haul By Cable
28th Aug 2002, 16:05
Stampe and Wrong Stuff, thankyou!

This is really useful info, please keep it coming :)

I can search the web for lots of info on the airports themselves (I don't know the London area), but they rarely mention how to get there if you don't have a car.

(Why should they? I guess if you're on a bike they're not looking for your kind of business?!!)

monkeyboy
28th Aug 2002, 16:35
There's also 'London Luton' Airport. Good rail and bus links from Kings Cross/St Pancras plus you get the commercial experience from your very first lesson. Believe me, it's daunting!!

Big Bad Dom
28th Aug 2002, 22:12
The cheapest way I've found to Elstree, although you have to like walking and have a bit of time, is:

Jubilee line to Stanmore.
Walk to Canons Corner (about 10-15 mins)
Bus to Elstree village - sorry, forget which one, but if you turn right out of Stanmore station and then left at the roundabout, it stops at the bus stop there (Approx. 10 min journey, bus frequency is about 20-30 mins)
Walk to airfield (a further half hour odd)

As I said, you have to have a fair bit of time!

boeingbus2002
28th Aug 2002, 22:21
Stappleford is close to Theydon Bois underground stn

Dan Dare
29th Aug 2002, 09:17
Careful when you take the tube to Plaistow, its a very good microlight centre, but about 20 miles from the tube station for some reason.

2BBA
29th Aug 2002, 11:38
Denham is the money shot. I do some PPL hire from there, and don't have a car .

Interesting airfield, with some quality flying schools. Interesting interaction with the London TMA to boot!

As described earlier, its 30 mins from Marylebone and a 15 min walk.

Pistol Pete
29th Aug 2002, 23:22
Hi there

I second the proposal for Denham and not being biased I would try The Pilot Centre. :) (www.egld.com/tpcwelc.htm) Contains info for Denham airfield and The Pilot Centre.

The Pilot Centre is run by Chris Leach and the tel no. is 01895 833838

As stated before you can either take a train from Marleybone to Denham station or you can go on the Metropolitan or Picadilly line to Uxbridge Station. You can then either take the 331 bus and then a 15 min walk or take a cab for £8.50.

Dimensional
30th Aug 2002, 10:10
If you do consider Stapleford (where I did my PPL, and a very nice place to boot) ... it's got a bus sevice from either Theydon Bois or Debden stations on the Central Line, or Romford. If I remember correctly it's wither the 501 or the 502 bus, and costs about £2 single from either place. Buses every half hour or so.

2BBA
30th Aug 2002, 13:10
I was going to also recommend The Pilot Centre in my earlier posting, but was worried it was advertising!

A friendly bunch, great instructors and a well kept/kitted fleet with good availability.

Hufty
30th Aug 2002, 14:30
I'm with Cabair at Denham - good but pricey.

Echo all comments about access to the airfield - I get there from the East End of London where I'm based without too much drama. Nice informal little airfield too....

BBDO
31st Aug 2002, 19:39
I fly the mighty Bulldog from North Weald which is fairly convenient. Central Line to Epping then a £10 cab ride.

Keef
31st Aug 2002, 22:13
... or go a bit further on the Liverpool Street line, get off at Rochford, and get a taxi to Southend (EGMC). Five minutes max in the taxi. Has Approach and Tower, NDB and ILS, and several flying schools.

Also has Customs and Special Branch, so you can do your foreign trips - even go to Calais for circuits, where it's cheaper and more fun...

The only drawback: you might meet me there.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
1st Sep 2002, 07:51
Thumbs up for The Pilot Centre, Denham.

Pistol - Chris may run the desk, but I think you will find it is Eva's train set.

VP8
1st Sep 2002, 12:23
I'd recommend TPC at Denham flew with them for a while but after moving to STN it's too far round the M25 now using Andrewsfield..Hi Brian/Eva/Dave if you're watching...

will try to get down one fine day

VEEPS

ModernDinosaur
1st Sep 2002, 15:22
Redhill (EGKR) just south of London is pretty close to the main London-Brighton railway line, with stations at Redhill, Earlswood, Salfords, Horley and Gatwick all within seven miles (I don't know the fares as I drive, but I'd guess around 6 or 8 quid) - Salfords is probably the closest station of this list and so the cheapest fare, but a lot of the trains don't stop there. There is also a railway station at South Nutfield on another railway line and it is just about within walking distance although the road is a bit of a twisty country lane.

Redhill has at least three flying schools, two "big-name" and one privately owned independent school, with a range of aircraft to choose from: Cessnas (152 and 172), Diamond Katanas, Piper Super Cub and, I think, one Piper Warrior or similar. I think I'm right in saying that Redhill is the only place you'll find Katanas around London at the moment, so if you want to learn in modern equipment (first flight 1995) rather than the older, heavier aircraft then this might be the place for you.

Probably the best bet is to try the journey to a few airfields, talk to the people at each of the schools, perhaps try a trial lesson in each of the available aircraft types, and then pick the combination you feel happiest with.

Enjoy the flying!

MD.

(Edited to correct spelling)

A and C
2nd Sep 2002, 05:55
If all the instructors have more gold up than a south american general then your are in the wrong place !.

No disrespect to the instructors , but the prices are to high and some of practices are to be quite blunt a rip off and its not just the punters that are being ripped off the staff have a hard time too.

Grim Reaper 14
2nd Sep 2002, 11:49
I chose Shoreham (partly due to domestics). Journey time might be a little long, but it's a great field. Shoreham BR is a £4.50 cab ride from the airfield. Return fare on the train, out of Victoria is approx £12 (with a network card), and takes only 1hr 15mins.:)

LowNSlow
2nd Sep 2002, 14:02
Southampton is very convenient from London! I know it sounds silly but there is a fast train from Victoria (or is it Waterloo) which stops at the airport. There are a couple of schools at the airport (Solent Flight and somebody else) who seem to charge the going rate. There are a few posters here who can give you advice about the clubs.

I finished off my PPL there a number of years ago and found that using the controlled airspace plus the fields like Compton, Thruxton etc in the area covered all aspects of GA flying. The proximity to the Isle of Wight and France is also a bonus.

bertiethebadger
2nd Sep 2002, 15:13
Blackbushe is possible but not the easist option

Your choices would be:

Waterloo to Camberley ( poss via Ascot ), app 1hr then 10 min taxi
Waterloo to Fleet, app 55min then 10 min taxi
Paddington to Blackwater via Reading, app 1hr ( very dependant on whhich train combo you take ) then 5 min taxi. - Expensive route!

I'd like to say "See you at Blackbushe"...

Mak
2nd Sep 2002, 15:37
Due to a recent encounter with London's rising crime rate I am now motorless. So I'm flying from Denham to which I get the train from Marylebone and then cycle to the airfield (or you can take a cab for £3-5). Because I live next to Marylebone it is actually faster than driving (35-40 min against 50+)

CallThatALanding
2nd Sep 2002, 15:43
Biggin Hill can be reached by train from Victoria to Bromley South and then number 220 (as I recall) bus straight to the airport. Probably wrong on bus number.

Foxbat
2nd Sep 2002, 16:54
Try Redhill, nearest station is South Nutfield, not sure about times of trains, but the field is a short walk from the station. If you call a mile short that is.:confused:

Haul By Cable
2nd Sep 2002, 17:01
Didn't expect half as many replies!

Thankyou to everyone who took the time to post, it is very much appreciated!

I had originally started the post to help out a fellow pilot, but I have printed-out the lot and will be making plenty enquiries myself :D

(Just proves what a resource PPRuNe is)

Thanks again,

Haul :) :)