PDA

View Full Version : New regulation for 'Two destination alternates requirement'?

breakdip
2nd Nov 2022, 11:58
Need some help interpreting new regulation (EASA 965/2012) that is applicable from 30 October 2022.

Old regulation applicable until 29 October 2022:
(c) The operator shall select two destination alternate aerodromes when:
(1) the appropriate weather reports and/or forecasts for the destination aerodrome indicate that during a period commencing one hour before and ending one hour after the estimated time of arrival, the weather conditions will be below the applicable planning minima; or
(2) no meteorological information is available for the destination aerodrome.
(Reference: CAT.OP.MPA.181 Selection of aerodromes and operating sites — helicopters.)

New regulation applicable from 30 October 2022:
(a) When selecting the destination aerodrome, the operator should ensure that one of the following conditions is met:
(3) one destination alternate aerodrome is selected, and...
(4) one destination alternate aerodrome is selected, and...
(5) two destination alternate aerodromes are selected; or…
(6) the destination aerodrome is isolated, and...
(Reference: AMC1 CAT.OP.MPA.192 Selection of aerodromes and operating sites – helicopters.)

My question: when shall I select two destination alternate aerodromes? I will continue to use the guidelines from the old regulation, although it is not mentioned specifically in the new regulation. Shall it be interpreted like: if (3) or (4) is not valid, then select (5)? What is your view on this?

Ps. The latest regulation can be found here: EASA 965/2012 (https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/document-library/easy-access-rules/easy-access-rules-air-operations-regulation-eu-no-9652012)

helicrazi
2nd Nov 2022, 13:00
Are you operating in UK? This is easa, has the change from 30th been adopted into UK law?

breakdip
2nd Nov 2022, 14:00
Don't know about the CAA UK, I work for an EASA operator. Nevertheless, what is your thought on the matter?

SASless
2nd Nov 2022, 15:14
No matter where you operate in the World....I submit that upon reading the quoted text in the Regulation....you would have to a clairvoyant Philadelphia Lawyer to understand what was said.

Two Alternates.....huh?

That concept alone escapes rational thought all by itself!

helicrazi
2nd Nov 2022, 15:26
I think its fairly clear tbh: AMC1.CAT.OP.MPA.192

When selecting the destination aerodrome, the operator should ensure that one of the following conditions is met:

So comply with one of the following numbers, 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6.

Selecting 2 alternates (option 5) is just one of the options if you cant comply with the other 5 options.

ApolloHeli
2nd Nov 2022, 16:09
I think its fairly clear tbh: AMC1.CAT.OP.MPA.192

When selecting the destination aerodrome, the operator should ensure that one of the following conditions is met:

So comply with one of the following numbers, 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6.

Selecting 2 alternates (option 5) is just one of the options if you cant comply with the other 5 options.

I see it the same way. Reading the source text gives you plenty of options depending on which you prefer and which is the most sensible for the given conditions. Here is the AMC in full:

AMC1 CAT.OP.MPA.192 Selection of aerodromes and operating sites — helicopters, ED Decision 2022/005/R

PLANNING MINIMA AND SAFETY MARGINS FOR A DESTINATION AERODROME AND SELECTION OF ALTERNATE AERODROMES

(a) When selecting the destination aerodrome, the operator should ensure that one of the following conditions is met:

(1) for a land destination, the duration of the flight and the prevailing meteorological conditions are such that during a period commencing 1 hour before and ending 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival at the aerodrome or operating site, an approach and landing is possible under VMC from the minimum safe altitude at the IAF or before;

(2) for a land destination:

(i) the available current meteorological information indicates that the following meteorological conditions at the destination aerodrome will exist from 2 hours before to 2 hours after the estimated time of arrival, or from the actual time of departure to 2 hours after the estimated time of arrival, whichever is shorter:

(A) a ceiling of at least 120 m (400 ft) above the DA/H or MDA/H of the instrument approach procedure; and

(B) visibility of at least 3 000 m;

(ii) a runway and two published instrument approaches with independent navigation aids are available at the aerodrome of intended landing; and

(iii) fuel planning is based upon the approach procedure that requires the most fuel, and 15-minute fuel is added to the trip fuel;

(3) one destination alternate aerodrome is selected, and the appropriate weather reports and/or forecasts indicate that during a period commencing 1 hour before and ending 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival at the destination, the weather conditions at the destination will be at or above the applicable planning minima as follows:

(i) RVR or VIS specified in accordance with point CAT.OP.MPA.110 (https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/document-library/easy-access-rules/online-publications/easy-access-rules-air-operations?page=37#_DxCrossRefBm136404432); and

(ii) for type A instrument approach operations, ceiling at or above (M)DH;

(4) one destination alternate aerodrome is selected, and based on the meteorological information that is obtained in accordance with the procedures of the operations manual (OM), there is a reasonable probability of landing at the destination;

(5) two destination alternate aerodromes are selected; or

(6) the destination aerodrome is isolated, and the appropriate weather reports and/or forecasts indicate that during a period commencing 1 hour before and ending 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival at the destination, the weather conditions at the destination will be at or above the applicable planning minima defined in Table 1.

(b) The operator should specify any alternate aerodrome(s) in the operational flight plan.

(c) If the site of intended landing is isolated and no alternate aerodrome is available, a PNR should be determined.

breakdip
3rd Nov 2022, 07:29
helicrazi ApolloHeli
Thanks for verification. Even though my initial thoughts led to that interpretation, I did like the extra clarification from the previous regulation: ”the weather conditions will be below the applicable planning minima”.

albatross
3rd Nov 2022, 17:17
So your flight could require a total 3 alternates, One takeoff alternate, if required, and 2 alternates for your destination. Fun.

Variable Load
4th Nov 2022, 11:39
So your flight could require a total 3 alternates, One takeoff alternate, if required, and 2 alternates for your destination. Fun.

Could be 4 if heading offshore to a location without fuel. Take-off, offshore alternate, 2x onshore destination alternates. Of course you would need fuel to get you all the way around and to your furthest destination alternate, but we could be talking 4 different aerodromes as alternates.

Evil Twin
5th Nov 2022, 07:55
Because safety!