PDA

View Full Version : VP Prop question

Rod1
28th Aug 2002, 10:02
VP Prop question

I am being offered the opportunity to fly a Europa tri gear with an electric VP prop. I have a CAA PPL with 100+ on conventional VP, but none in the last 3 years. The prop has a three-position switch Climb, Cruse, Feather.

Question, do I need a formal “difference” training course, or can I get a verbal briefing and go?

FlyingForFun
28th Aug 2002, 10:57
Rod1,

I fly a Europa with a VP prop. It doesn't sound like exactly the same one - mine has an electric motor which I can use to gradually fine or coarsen the prop to any setting between two limits, it's not limited to just three settings the way you describe the one you're looking at.

I don't know what the official story is, and even if you don't officially need differences training your insurance company might insist on it. But even if it's not required, it's probably not a bad idea to get a check-out with a PFA coach, which will include any differences training you need. It will cost you £150 - £100 to the PFA, and £50 to your instructor, and that includes as much training as you need.

Have fun - the Europa is an excellent machine! Although the mono-wheel is much more fun... :D

FFF
-------------

bookworm
28th Aug 2002, 11:25
I think a VP prop is a VP prop from a legal standpoint. So if you're entitled to fly a conventional VP prop, you're entitled to fly any.

If you flew VP prop aircraft before the transition to JAR-FCL, you should have grandfather rights which avoid the need for differences training.

Rod1
2nd Sep 2002, 10:31
FFF

Thanks for your reply. I have some time on Europas, but have never officially logged it as it was all with the owners on board. I have only flown the mono-wheel once, before the tail mod came out. I found it very difficult compared with a std. tail Wheel.

The aircraft flew fine, but I never did get a definitive answer on the grandfather rights / currency question. I was really just helping out a friend who needed something delivering.

Have you ever had a go in an MCR-01? I am thinking of getting the kit…

Bookworm

Again, thanks for the reply. I think you are right about the grandfather rights. What I am still unsure of is if there is any other hurdles like time flown in last two years on VP or skill tests in a/c with VP props.

I have had three different answers form three different instructors/CFI’s!! All knew what was required for a JAR licence, but did not know how the grandfather rights worked.

Rod

stillin1
2nd Sep 2002, 15:54
Rod 1
Bookworm is correct