PDA

View Full Version : Gap Year - any ideas??

Rusty Cessna
27th Aug 2002, 21:36
Hiya folks,

Now that I am well on my way to planning my gap year I was wondering if any of you experienced folk had any ideas of how I could spend some of my year with my flying. Im on a PPL at the moment, and since the share I was eyeing up has just gone down the snout, im open to suggestions on what and where I can get some more experience and exploration.

If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it, also would like to hear stories or personal experiences.

Many thanks,
Rusty.

Keef
27th Aug 2002, 22:02
I don't know where you've already been, but I could highly recommend spending some time in the USA. Flying is a lot cheaper there than in the UK, and there is some fabulous scenery to see/fab places to go.

I'm living a permanent series of Gap Years now (semi-retired) and the US trips are still the highlights.

If you plan it right and get the right visas, you could even get yourself an FAA PPL/IR (they call it Private Pilot/Instrument Airplane over there).

Needs a supply of money, mind.

OR .. forget the flying, and spend a chunk of time on VSO - Tanzania, for example. Puts life and the ratrace into perspective.

Rusty Cessna
27th Aug 2002, 22:49
Thanks Keef,

That advice has been taken on board. I do really fancy the idea of the states, but something im also really interested in is group flying.

As the share I was looking at is no longer available to me I'm looking elsewhere. Ideally I would like something a bit different likea Jet Provost. I know it seems a bit radical but ive seen them in the back of Flyer mag quite cheap. But I have no idea if any are available, and if they are in my geographical reach.

If I was to be able to get some flying in a JP id love it, either via a share or by renting, however I realise Im probably living in a bit of a bubble as they are probably hugely expensive to fly. Another option is to do an aeros licence and get involved in something like a Pitts, but again, dont know how to go about it.

Again, many thanks,
Rusty.

Crossedcontrols
28th Aug 2002, 13:14
If I were in your position I'd go to South Africa or Oz get some more ratings or even (my choice) do some Gliding then Glider Tugging in a Supercub or Pawnee, get your keep and loads of hours. Loads to see cheap cost of living and all round flying weather. I'm sure the Oz PPruners would point you in the right direction.
Lucky B@st@rd!

CC

Southern Cross
28th Aug 2002, 14:23
Go fly in NZ - learn to glide down at Omarama and spend your days soaring the Southern Alps.

Potter1
28th Aug 2002, 15:22
While in my first year at university I wrote to a dozen or more flight schools in California and Florida, saying I was a PPL and asking if they had any positions, cleaning & positioning aircraft, general admin (read: dogs body) etc.

I got a number of positive responses and spent all summer working on a student work visa at various flight organisations, made some useful contacts and got about 25 hours flying at reduced rates.

One of the best summers of my life!!

:cool:

P....