PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Logbook vs. Paper Logbooks

Summer311
26th Sep 2022, 14:47
Hi,
I love the new electronic logbooks because I can get so much more details in for each flight.
Now, I am changing from paper to electronic. But have a question about putting in Dual Received flight time.
After earning your Private Pilot certificate, is it necessary to continue to enter Dual Received as you add-on additional certificates (i.e. commercial, instrument, multi-engine, etc?).
Even if I wanted to enter the new instructors name who is teaching me the new certificate, it is so difficult to read their spelling of their name in the old paper logbook.
Looking for some simple, interesting answers or thoughts.
Thanks! :)

Flying Wild
27th Sep 2022, 12:24
Hi,
I love the new electronic logbooks because I can get so much more details in for each flight.
Now, I am changing from paper to electronic. But have a question about putting in Dual Received flight time.
After earning your Private Pilot certificate, is it necessary to continue to enter Dual Received as you add-on additional certificates (i.e. commercial, instrument, multi-engine, etc?).
Even if I wanted to enter the new instructors name who is teaching me the new certificate, it is so difficult to read their spelling of their name in the old paper logbook.
Looking for some simple, interesting answers or thoughts.
Thanks! :)

1. Personally I would do.

2. Does it really matter? It's only your own personal record, plus you've got the paper backups.

Jhieminga
27th Sep 2022, 17:38
Any training carried out with an instructor should be logged as dual. But the interesting question is what set of rules you're operating under? EASA, FAA, CASA or something else? Depending on that, I may have got it wrong.... :cool:

Summer311
1st Oct 2022, 14:41
I fly under the FAA rules. But I found this at the Gleim website to be interesting about logging time.
Just type in Gleim logging flight time into a Google search and the link will be provided. I cannot post the link because PPrune says I need at least 8 posts to my credit.
Regards.

Jhieminga
5th Oct 2022, 10:50
The text on the Gleim website appears to be correct for the FAA situation, so feel free to use that. Going back to your original question, yes, under FAA rules any training received should be logged as dual. If you are continuing for your CPL, ME and/or other ratings it is useful to keep track of the various requirements needed for said ratings, the needed cross country hours for example. So make sure to log all this stuff correctly. The best place to discuss this is actually your instructor, he/she should be able to explain the details.