PDA

View Full Version : UK - medical reqts. for paid instructing?

PeeToo
19th Sep 2022, 14:42
Struggling to find chapter and verse on this, if anyone could help. In order to instruct to PPL level, in UK, with an FI rating, and be paid for it, what Class of medical do I need. Not talking EASA, this is current UK rules I need. Ive been told different things by different "experts' so some form of official refernce would be handy!

Supplementary question - what medical is required if not being paid?

I hold an ATPL/CPL/PPL

Edward Hawkins
19th Sep 2022, 19:09
You need a Class 2 medical. You need the appropriate medical for the level for which you are instructing. To instruct for a CPL you need a Class 1.

https://www.caa.co.uk/commercial-industry/pilot-licences/medical/uk-part-med-requirements/

Fl1ingfrog
20th Sep 2022, 08:17
There isn't a medical requirement with regard to instructing. To instruct you must hold a licence at least equal to the licence being taught. PPL Instructors are permitted to be paid for instructing even if they hold a PPL. If you hold a PPL then your licence must be supported by at least a Class 2. If you hold a CPL then you must also hold a Class 1 medical. The medical requirements relate to the pilots licence not the instructing they are giving.

BEagle
20th Sep 2022, 16:45
If you hold a CPL then you must also hold a Class 1 medical. The medical requirements relate to the pilots licence not the instructing they are giving.

No. Edward Hawkins is correct - if you hold an ATPL it includes both CPL and PPL privileges. If you hold an FI certificate and wish to deliver remunerated instruction at PPL level only, then you do NOT need to hold a Class 1 medical, a Class 2 is all that is required.

Fl1ingfrog
20th Sep 2022, 19:12
In order to instruct to PPL level, in UK, with an FI rating, and be paid for it, what Class of medical do I need.

This was the question. The answer is simply all that is required to instruct for payment is to hold a valid PPL with a Class 2. What I'm presuming BEagle and Edward is that you are both stating is that a CPL without a Class 1 but with a Class 2 medical may continue to operate the CPL at the PPL level bit whether instructing or not.

BEagle
21st Sep 2022, 08:12
What I'm presuming BEagle and Edward is that you are both stating is that a CPL without a Class 1 but with a Class 2 medical may continue to operate the CPL at the PPL level bit whether instructing or not.

Correct. Which has always been the case under Part-FCL.

Edward Hawkins
21st Sep 2022, 08:50
What I'm presuming BEagle and Edward is that you are both stating is that a CPL without a Class 1 but with a Class 2 medical may continue to operate the CPL at the PPL level bit whether instructing or not.

Yes. This is what I do. I can no longer obtain a Class 1 for my CPL but I can instruct using PPL privileges with a Class 2.

PeeToo
30th Sep 2022, 12:47
Thanks everyone for that - it generates another question in that case - if I have a CPL/ATPL, Class 1 and FI certificate then can I instruct to CPL level without further qualification? (not that I plan to, just interested in how it works!)_

Whopity
30th Sep 2022, 17:57
FCL.905.FI FI – Privileges and conditions
(e) a CPL in the appropriate aircraft category, provided that FIs have completed at least 200 hours of flight instruction in that aircraft category;

ASRAAMTOO
4th Oct 2022, 13:26
Thanks everyone for that - it generates another question in that case - if I have a CPL/ATPL, Class 1 and FI certificate then can I instruct to CPL level without further qualification? (not that I plan to, just interested in how it works!)_

Maybe!

On on your licence against FI it should say something like: FCL 905 FI applies as in. (a), (b), (c), (d), (e),(f)A, (g), (h), FCL 945.

If you have (d) then you can instruct towards a CPL. If you dont and you think you should, contact the CAA

Whopity
8th Oct 2022, 08:19
if you have (d) then you can instruct towards a CPL.
That rather depends on when the rating was issued, it has now changed to:
(e) a CPL in the appropriate aircraft category, provided that FIs have completed at least 200 hours of flight instruction in that aircraft category;
They all shuffled one to the right on an amendment