PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance

SpringHeeledJack
29th Aug 2022, 13:17
A question on behalf of a friend (I said I might know some well-travelled people who could help). Said person has just discovered that they have had travel insurance for the last few years included in their bank account/cards, but somehow wasn't aware and on cursory reading it does seem the bank didn't shout about it and it could be missed. In the last few years the friend has had two separate events that would have qualified for cover under the policy, but it might well be that too much time has passed to make a claim(s). So, dear well travelled internet people, do any of you have experience in this situation ? Are there time limits ? I'm imagining that the insurance underwriters would baulk at any retrospective claims.

alserire
29th Aug 2022, 22:28
All insurance has a claim by date in my experience. If it didn't happen in the last six months, maybe less in some cases, then there's no chance

BlankBox
29th Aug 2022, 23:51
...also typically age limited...over 65 = SOL

ZFT
30th Aug 2022, 00:12
...also typically age limited...over 65 = SOL
Really. Whilst health insurance can be an issue with age, I've never seen age a factor with travel insurance.

BlankBox
30th Aug 2022, 01:29
Really. Whilst health insurance can be an issue with age, I've never seen age a factor with travel insurance.

Most ??FREE?? travel med insurance that comes with Amex/Visa/Mastercard is typically age restricted....if you buy to cover yourself then thats on you not them.

Here...
https://www.rewardscanada.ca/medicalinsurance.html

...but this Canada so other jurisdictions might vary...

ve3id
30th Aug 2022, 02:16
A question on behalf of a friend (I said I might know some well-travelled people who could help). Said person has just discovered that they have had travel insurance for the last few years included in their bank account/cards, but somehow wasn't aware and on cursory reading it does seem the bank didn't shout about it and it could be missed. In the last few years the friend has had two separate events that would have qualified for cover under the policy, but it might well be that too much time has passed to make a claim(s). So, dear well travelled internet people, do any of you have experience in this situation ? Are there time limits ? I'm imagining that the insurance underwriters would baulk at any retrospective claims.

From my half-million miles of travel experience in any seat other than 0A...
Every plan I have ever seen requires you to call them as soon as you are ill. (So they can make deals directly with the service providers at commercial rates.)

ZFT
30th Aug 2022, 05:05
Travel insurance and medical insurance are different animals to me.

Travel is loss of belongings, delays etc and nothing to do with health

SpringHeeledJack
30th Aug 2022, 08:18
AFAIK, most travel insurance covers you medically as well, in various territories around the world (depending on selection) and for flights/baggage/personal loss etc. The person i'm asking on behalf of is of the 'winging it' variety of personality and just accepted/was philosophical about the events they could have claimed on had they realised/known they were insured. Medically they were covered by the EHIC card within the EU. Sadly, now through a recurring medical condition and age, insurance is as good as impossible.

Paul Lupp
14th Sep 2022, 19:42
I used to have paid travel insurance with my bank account but I stopped that when covid struck and I could no longer fly anywhere.
I'm pretty sure that the T&C's include something along the lines of reporting any possible reason for a claim "as soon as possible", so if you discovered that you could have claimed for something a few months ago, but hadn't realised at the time, it would be sufficient to disqualify a claim

Union Jack
14th Sep 2022, 20:24
AFAIK, most travel insurance covers you medically as well, in various territories around the world (depending on selection) and for flights/baggage/personal loss etc. The person i'm asking on behalf of is of the 'winging it' variety of personality and just accepted/was philosophical about the events they could have claimed on had they realised/known they were insured. Medically they were covered by the EHIC card within the EU. Sadly, now through a recurring medical condition and age, insurance is as good as impossible.

It may be worth mentioning in this context that, whilst an existing EHIC remains valid until the expiry date indicated, that its replacement, the UK Global Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is worth having for basic health cover in Europe (so not global!) and is very easily obtained by an online application through https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/

For interest, regarding the age limit for a bank's in-house travel insurance (including medical), the last time I looked Barclays' age limit was 80, or the younger person on a joint account reaching 80.

Jack

Asturias56
15th Sep 2022, 09:14
We got the new cards in 2 weeks or less

India Four Two
17th Sep 2022, 07:22
Whilst health insurance can be an issue with age, .....

Yes, it dramatically affects the premiums. Ask me how I know! :sad: