PDA

View Full Version : Nok Air 737-800 runway excursion

Innaflap
31st Jul 2022, 05:39
Anyone up for a laugh?

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/nok-air-cancels-all-fights-on-sunday-between-bangkok-and-chiang-rai/

DaveReidUK
31st Jul 2022, 06:33
Which part are we meant to be laughing at ?

Innaflap
31st Jul 2022, 06:59
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x1067/670654_d980f542c3db87b07b620180669a68f281fdd4f3.jpg

Taxiing?

Parked safely?

slast
31st Jul 2022, 07:46
Runway excursion Incident Boeing 737-86N (WL) HS-DBR, 30 Jul 2022 (aviation-safety.net) (https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/280966)

ZFT
31st Jul 2022, 07:53
The Nok Air report on their website was somewhat ridiculous

kwaiyai
31st Jul 2022, 08:11
No comment,

The company said, however, that the pilot managed to park the plane safely and all the passengers and crew were safely ushered into the passenger terminal.

DaveReidUK
31st Jul 2022, 08:26
Statement from the airline:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x1024/nok_air_report_2_5785b90de1cf3f326d54adb67d40f9527ca76e23.jp g

PoppaJo
31st Jul 2022, 08:28
Back in the day they would paint over all logos and colours before a photo was taken and broadcast around the traps. Times have changed thanks to technology, helps us get the truth a bit quicker I guess without people making it us as they go.

The Fat Controller
31st Jul 2022, 10:11
Normal Thai statement would be "Heroic pilots save 164 passengers from certain death by steering the plane to a safe stop on the grass.

Sleeve Wing
31st Jul 2022, 10:48
Innaflap.

I am tempted to believe that only an ICT engineer playing with his simulator could regard this as a laughing matter.
The Skipper, right or wrong, won't be laughing at the moment. Once again, let's wait for the results of the enquiry, eh ?

MeLuvUlongtime
31st Jul 2022, 11:11
Back in the day they would paint over all logos and colours before a photo was taken and broadcast around the traps. Times have changed thanks to technology, helps us get the truth a bit quicker I guess without people making it us as they go.

It would need a lot of paint to cover this bird up.. since this company has the most colourful planes in SE ASIA.. :}. Captain parking needs some help.. I think he missed the terminal... just off center..

C150Aerobat
31st Jul 2022, 11:34
laugh ? Read the title : xxxx cancelled all FIGHTS xxx

oceancrosser
31st Jul 2022, 13:26
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1125x342/bb268354_8a08_4847_816a_a52fb9ad33ff_ba66b16ffc217bb32cf1c39 22fd3f2fc65a1bd50.jpeg
So what are we going to do this Sunday since they cancelled the fights?

Yet another 737NG off piste.

W9SQD
31st Jul 2022, 14:44
This part, Dave:

"The company said, however, that the pilot managed to park the plane safely . . . . "

FUMR
31st Jul 2022, 15:27
To be fair, I wonder if that is the result of some translation tool?

pilotmike
31st Jul 2022, 15:38
On reflection, probably their English is better than your Thai, so I wouldn't be too quick to take the p1$$.

fokker1000
31st Jul 2022, 15:57
I agree with DaveRUK.... what's the bit that makes anyone laugh? Certainly no one who is involved in professional aviation, or indeed any form of flying.

Lonewolf_50
31st Jul 2022, 17:09
The company said, however, that the pilot managed to park the plane safely and all the passengers and crew were safely ushered into the passenger terminal. That's good news. "Any landing you can walk away from" and all that.
The Skipper, right or wrong, won't be laughing at the moment.
True enough; the "tea and biscuits" without tea, and without biscuits, may have already occurred.

aeromech3
31st Jul 2022, 21:51
I'm not laughing, I have a flight booked into Phrae with them as they are the only operator on the route; yes it is rainy season but that cannot be used as an excuse.

Innaflap
1st Aug 2022, 03:46
Innaflap.

I am tempted to believe that only an ICT engineer playing with his simulator could regard this as a laughing matter.
The Skipper, right or wrong, won't be laughing at the moment. Once again, let's wait for the results of the enquiry, eh ?

I will wager that the pilot will not state that he was in the process of taxiing, not that the plane was safety parked

fdr
1st Aug 2022, 04:09
I'm not laughing, I have a flight booked into Phrae with them as they are the only operator on the route; yes it is rainy season but that cannot be used as an excuse.

tailwind, wet runway, night, local terrain to west and south, construction work on the LHS which includes drainage works... and it is a B738, carrying a load and with presumably divert gas. It appears to have gone off the side, not the end, so control/aquaplaning are all on the cards. Runway not grooved/PFC. rainy season comes with risks, this is hardly the first jet off a runway in the wet, wager it won't be the last.

ZFT
1st Aug 2022, 07:21
Pax are now reporting via local media that they were held on board for an hour after the incident!
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2358777/pilot-must-explain-why-passengers-were-kept-aboard-damaged-plane

Innaflap
3rd Aug 2022, 02:59
Airport now closed until 2200 Friday 5th awaiting removal of aircraft

G4HQ
5th Aug 2022, 03:43
From the Bangkok Post today:Mae Fah Luang Chiang Rai International Airport reopens on Friday after a damaged Nok Air plane was removed from the runway, said Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob.

He said Airports of Thailand (AoT) and the Department of Airports (DoA) had cleared the runway which Nok Air's Boeing 737-800 skidded off on July 30, causing flight cancellations and an airport shutdown.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand finished examining the runway for safety on Thursday before the airport reopening.

Chiang Rai Airport Director Sqn Ldr Somchanok Tiamtiabrat said the plane's removal was delayed due to difficulties moving it without causing more damage to the aircraft's wings.

Sqn Ldr Somchanok said the airline and airport staff had contacted Thai Airways International (THAI) for a recovery team to send licensed engineers and equipment to remove the stranded plane. The recovery team had to be careful not to cause further damage to both the 60-tonne aircraft and the runway, he said.

Sqn Ldr Somchanok said the operation went according to the International Civil Aviation Organization's regulation on aircraft removal. He also said the plane was now safely parked at a pit stop which is about 600 metres away from the initial position in which it was stranded after it veered off the runway following a brake malfunction.

Nok Air chief executive Wutthiphum Jurangkool said the airline will compensate all passengers on the flight with refunds and free tickets worth one million baht. All passengers are to be given tickets for a round trip valid for a year and they can request refunds, cancellations or destination changes without charges, he said.

Mr Wutthiphum also defended the pilot of the aircraft. "The pilot did his best to land the aircraft and there were no deaths or casualties," he said. "He has worked as a pilot for 15 years and the co-pilot has three years of experience with Nok Air. Every step of the evacuation went according to safety protocols."