PDA

View Full Version : New Start - Global Airlines

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

dc9-32
6th May 2024, 05:02
Wonder if Hi-Fly obtained a permit from Canada, Greenland, Iceland and UK to get to PIK. It's possible but who's knows.....

SOPS
6th May 2024, 05:24
I really hope the aircraft is not beyond repair. Only because ,if so, they have flown a non serviceable aircraft halfway across the world.

Less Hair
6th May 2024, 08:37
Why did they not fly to end up at -say- Tarbes or Teruel where A380 maintenance is available? Did the CAA stop them from continuing or did the ferry crew refuse to stay?

JerseyAero
6th May 2024, 09:42
Why did they not fly to end up at -say- Tarbes or Teruel where A380 maintenance is available? Did the CAA stop them from continuing or did the ferry crew refuse to stay?
Or continue to Beja where Hi Fly have their base and facilties?

Expressflight
6th May 2024, 09:55
Or continue to Beja where Hi Fly have their base and facilties?

For some reason a flight plan was lodged for a Beja to Malta sector 1st May. There wasn't one for Prestwick to Beja preceding it though.

PAXboy
6th May 2024, 09:58
I did enjoy seeing the verbiage from them:
Hi Fly ferried A380 in a historical flight from Mojave to Prestwick
Continuing to use such ridiculous hyperbole only serves to show they value 'PR fluff' over (for example) getting an AOC. 'Historical'? I think not.

Wallsendmag
6th May 2024, 10:04
I did enjoy seeing the verbiage from them:

Continuing to use such ridiculous hyperbole only serves to show they value 'PR fluff' over (for example) getting an AOC. 'Historical'? I think not.
You have to hand it to them how many times has an A380 flown accross the Atlantic with gear down?

JerseyAero
6th May 2024, 10:17
For some reason a flight plan was lodged for a Beja to Malta sector 1st May. There wasn't one for Prestwick to Beja preceding it though.
That is interesting, possibly MLA more likely to have facilities/capacity to carry out the heavy maintenance required so they planned to send it there

As suggested above maybe CAA are not happy with it leaving PIK in its present state or Hi Fly decided they were not prepared to continue with the venture!

Less Hair
6th May 2024, 10:17
You have to hand it to them how many times has an A380 flown accross the Atlantic with gear down?

Not A380 but Lindbergh did it right away and nonstop to Paris.

atakacs
6th May 2024, 10:38
A380 maintenance facilities at PIK? Can anyone confirm?

Pretty sure no such thing in PIK. Actually was touted as the first 380 there...

One comment I've heard 'The a/c is beyond repair'. Is there anyone out there who is willing to corroborate that statement?

I guess it is certainly possible to restore it to fully air worthy - the question would be: at what cost ? Most likekly not economically viable, but that's not to deter Mr Asquith !

I understand that the parking charge would be £0.37 per tonne per hour - that computes to about 3k / day...

UnderASouthernSky
6th May 2024, 13:45
Would it have been cheaper to ship (assuming available) A380 jacks to the USA for gears swings etc than to ferry the aircraft gear down US-Europe on a multi sector route?

Flying Hi
6th May 2024, 14:01
That is interesting, possibly MLA more likely to have facilities/capacity to carry out the heavy maintenance required so they planned to send it there

As suggested above maybe CAA are not happy with it leaving PIK in its present state or Hi Fly decided they were not prepared to continue with the venture!
OR the crew not prepared to fly it any further and HiFly unable to find any 'volunteers'.
Love to know what kind of pucker factor flight it was as the aircraft had only done a couple of low level, low speed circuits of Mojave.prior.

atakacs
6th May 2024, 16:10
Love to know what kind of pucker factor flight it was as the aircraft had only done a couple of low level, low speed circuits of Mojave.prior.TBH to my knowledge Hi-Fly is generally seen as a relatively competent and serious operation. I don't think they would be involved into this without seeing some potential beyond the short-term cash M. Asquithis is willing to burn. I might be wrong obviously.

As for the fate of 9H-GLOBL it has to be said that the fact that it still sits in Prestwick doesn’t bode well. Whatever the plan was I don’t see any reason for an extended stay there.

Asturias56
6th May 2024, 16:29
"Whatever the plan was"

And there is the nub of this whole thread - there is no plan - at least in the sense the rest of us would use the word

sangiovese.
6th May 2024, 17:19
Well the UKCAA must give it a permit to fly so 🤷‍♀️

dc9-32
6th May 2024, 18:07
Well the UKCAA must give it a permit to fly so 🤷‍♀️

To be accurate, the UK CAA validate the TMCAD Permit to Fly - if it has one and one would assume it does hence the gear down ferry. Maybe that's why it's still in PIK as the UK didn't approve it !

Donkey497
6th May 2024, 21:14
I think the key thing that's maybe deciding what happens is in the fairly innocuous statement that they still have to complete part of the C-Check. An incomplete check is open to query, is it just the last 0.001% that's outstanding and simply needs some paperwork printed & signed off or is it nearer to 0.001% completed and the work that's been done has been cherry-picked towards a specific goal.

As an [non-aeronautical] engineer I am professionally suspicious when something significant that should be and logistically can be completed before something is moved is left unfinished and kit is moved. When it is a couple of hundred tons overhead ocean, there is little public risk. When that same couple of hundred tons is then above densely populated UK and then European skies, it is a whole different risk profile and public relations risk to nod through a concession to validate a third party permit to fly.

Until either more information becomes available, or the C-Check work does actually take place at PIK, I think permission to fly on will be elusive and the frame will continue to rack up parking charges until such time as it becomes an economic write-off & is scrapped in situ.

I'm more than ready to concede that this is an extremely bleak viewpoint, but I don't see the logic in a ferry flight in an aircraft that does not appear to have been fully ready for wholly unrestricted flight. My suspicion is on a cherry-picked workscope to get the ferry flight done, but I'm still looking hard for the Why?

Union Jack
6th May 2024, 22:28
Here it is landing at Glasgow Prestwick.The first ever landing of an A380 at PIK. Even the Police got into the plane spotting action at 2m50s. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rswvwt_y8s

Would have been even nicer if they had flown "my" flag the right way up on arrival, instead of upside down - very "distressing".....:=

Jack

dc9-32
7th May 2024, 05:24
I think the key thing that's maybe deciding what happens is in the fairly innocuous statement that they still have to complete part of the C-Check. An incomplete check is open to query, is it just the last 0.001% that's outstanding and simply needs some paperwork printed & signed off or is it nearer to 0.001% completed and the work that's been done has been cherry-picked towards a specific goal.

As an [non-aeronautical] engineer I am professionally suspicious when something significant that should be and logistically can be completed before something is moved is left unfinished and kit is moved. When it is a couple of hundred tons overhead ocean, there is little public risk. When that same couple of hundred tons is then above densely populated UK and then European skies, it is a whole different risk profile and public relations risk to nod through a concession to validate a third party permit to fly.

Until either more information becomes available, or the C-Check work does actually take place at PIK, I think permission to fly on will be elusive and the frame will continue to rack up parking charges until such time as it becomes an economic write-off & is scrapped in situ.

I'm more than ready to concede that this is an extremely bleak viewpoint, but I don't see the logic in a ferry flight in an aircraft that does not appear to have been fully ready for wholly unrestricted flight. My suspicion is on a cherry-picked workscope to get the ferry flight done, but I'm still looking hard for the Why?

Logic or not, it very often happens that aircraft are ferried from one MRO to another to complete some work in order to satisfy the requirements of a C of A. Hence a permit to fly is issued by the authority of the country of registry. That permit to fly will often come with a load of limitations such as "to be flown with undercarriage down, speed limited to xyxKTS, VFR or daylight only, avoid overflying built up areas except when on approach or departure"..... and so on.

The fact there is, as far as I know, PIK does not have an MRO that has the ability or approvals to work on A380's is dubious in itself and if PIK was chosen as a fuel stop, I suspect the aircraft didn't have UK CAA approval to be there. Pure speculation of course but eventually, the reasons will come out in the wash !

Flying Hi
7th May 2024, 21:19
Pretty sure no such thing in PIK. Actually was touted as the first 380 there...

I guess it is certainly possible to restore it to fully air worthy - the question would be: at what cost ? Most likekly not economically viable, but that's not to deter Mr Asquith !

I understand that the parking charge would be £0.37 per tonne per hour - that computes to about 3k / day...
Heading for same fate at TCs 330 G-MDBD?

Asturias56
8th May 2024, 06:50
probably going to approach the Scottish Govt to set up an A380 repair facility...............

daz211
8th May 2024, 15:45
I can see Global going the same way as FlyPOP.
Flypop were supposed to be starting scheduled services from Stansted to India.
They now fly under HiFly filling in for other Airlines.

Sotonsean
8th May 2024, 16:50
I can see Global going the same way as FlyPOP.
Flypop were supposed to be starting scheduled services from Stansted to India.
They now fly under HiFly filling in for other Airlines.

FlyPop was established in 2014.

The airline had an Airbus A330 leased from HiFly wearing the airlines livery which has since been returned.

The airline currently has no aircraft and has made no official announcements since March 2023.

Flypop is going no where, you might as well refer to it as already a failed carrier.

HiFly are a successful Portuguese ACMI operator which has been in existence since 2005.

Global on the other hand is a completely different set up to FlyPop but I too can't see it having a bright future.

Flying Hi
8th May 2024, 17:10
I'm wondering where the flight crew came from.
HiFly only have 2 A380s on their books - the mouldering 9H-MIP at LDE now MINUS Global pretend badging that hasn't turned a wheel in 3 years and probably can't and the infamous 9H-GLOBL now marooned at PiK
SO how were that light crew current on a 380 when they have no active aircrsft?
Rent -A-Flight Crew?
Just interested.

barry lloyd
8th May 2024, 19:52
I'm wondering where the flight crew came from.
HiFly only have 2 A380s on their books - the mouldering 9H-MIP at LDE now MINUS Global pretend badging that hasn't turned a wheel in 3 years and probably can't and the infamous 9H-GLOBL now marooned at PiK
SO how were that light crew current on a 380 when they have no active aircrsft?
Rent -A-Flight Crew?
Just interested.

As I mentioned earlier, about an hour after the 380 arrived at Prestick, they were flown to Lisbon in the crew bus, a CL-604 9H-MIR. From that, I deduced that nothing was going to happen in a hurry.

Just Plane Mad
8th May 2024, 20:16
FlyPop was established in 2014.

The airline had an Airbus A330 leased from HiFly wearing the airlines livery which has since been returned.

The airline currently has no aircraft and has made no official announcements since March 2023.

Flypop is going no where, you might as well refer to it as already a failed carrier.

HiFly are a successful Portuguese ACMI operator which has been in existence since 2005.

Global on the other hand is a completely different set up to FlyPop but I too can't see it having a bright future.

Not quite right.... POP leased the aircraft and paid the leases directly from 2 different lessors for 2 units at one stage.... They opted for HiFly to operate them for POP. HiFly operated both A330's for POP just like the proposed A380 deal with Global - not the other way round. POP pulled both from HiFly, one returning to the lessor and the other now being operated by SmartLynx... The experience POP had wasn't great with HiFly (allegedly) hence the termination and option for another carrier to operate POP's plane. Again, at no stage in the past has POP leased an aircraft from HiFly, as above - quite the contrary!

Flying Hi
8th May 2024, 20:18
As I mentioned earlier, about an hour after the 380 arrived at Prestick, they were flown to Lisbon in the crew bus, a CL-604 9H-MIR. From that, I deduced that nothing was going to happen in a hurry.
I saw that B L. Thank you.
The question was how the crew were current with no active airframes to fly? Do HiFly have A380 simulators?
I wonder too if PIK were awsre that this was NOT a fuel stop. Did they expect it to fly out? AFAIK no ex PIK Flight plan.
I wonder if 9H-GLOBL HAD to leave Mojave before it was realused by 'authorities' that its a Scrapper.
Full of wonder

barry lloyd
8th May 2024, 22:10
The question was how the crew were current with no active airframes to fly? Do HiFly have A380 simulators?
I wonder too if PIK were awsre that this was NOT a fuel stop. Did they expect it to fly out? AFAIK no ex PIK Flight plan.
I wonder if 9H-GLOBL HAD to leave Mojave before it was realused by 'authorities' that its a Scrapper.
Full of wonder

FWIW, my guess is that it was never going to go further than PIK - in the short term anyway - hence the crew bus waiting for them.
Hi-Fly did operate a 380, 9H-MIP, which I believe is still on their books, but non-operational and sitting in Tarbes, as we know, so maybe the crew were able to do some sim time with an operating airline. to top themselves up
According to FR24, at the time, the next flight plan was from Beja (their operational base in Portugal), to Malta - originally shown as 1st May - the day it arrived in PIK of course. There was no flight plan from PIK to BYJ though, which struck me as odd. The BYJ-MLA flight plan has now disappeared from FR's flight history.
As you say, Flying Hi, full of wonder - only time will tell!

jethro15
8th May 2024, 23:12
..my guess is that it was never going to go further than PIK - in the short term anyway - hence the crew bus waiting for them.
Yes, they went off rather sharpish didn't they!! Obviously pre-planned. Who was planned to fly it further?

I refer to my post No 750 of this thread, along with the added lack of info coming from Mr Asquith given the negative comments regarding the arrival of this A380 into PIK.

This whole debacle stinks!!!!!

Hence credence to the believed CAA involvement.

Some folk have lost a hell of a lot of money!!!

magyar_flyer
9th May 2024, 04:00
Global just tweeted 'Our team will be there again next week as we continue to implement plans to get this ship back to the skies. You can expect more updates about this beautiful aircraft very soon'.

Obviously doesn't say much. They might just pay the accrued parking fee 😜

runway30
9th May 2024, 04:13
Full of wonder

Just read in FightGlobal (ironic), ‘Airbus has supported technical assessments while the Hi Fly crew underwent simulator training on type’.

runway30
9th May 2024, 04:22
Global just tweeted 'Our team will be there again next week as we continue to implement plans to get this ship back to the skies. You can expect more updates about this beautiful aircraft very soon'.

Obviously doesn't say much. They might just pay the accrued parking fee 😜

From FightGlobal, ‘The company state that it will assist with developing “new maintenance capabilities” at Prestwick.

Why would you fly your unserviceable aircraft to an airport with no maintenance facilities?

It should be starting to dawn on Global how they lack the ability to start an airline and how expensive it is to own an unserviceable aircraft with no prospect, at the moment, of any revenue.

Meanwhile parking fees acrue at £2000 a day, £60000 per month, £720000 per year.

DaveReidUK
9th May 2024, 06:49
'Historical'? I think not.

Well it's been and gone, so it's definitely now historical. :O

But in no way historic.

Asturias56
9th May 2024, 07:20
"Why would you fly your unserviceable aircraft to an airport with no maintenance facilities?"

So you can approach various Govt bodies and get a grant/loan of course - just look at how some sharp guys have rebuilt Harland & Wolff etc in N Ireland - loads of "vision" on their side and a shed load of tax payers cash on the other side ;)

Flying Hi
9th May 2024, 07:48
It should be starting to dawn on Global how they lack the ability to start an airline and how expensive it is to own an unserviceable aircraft with no prospect, at the moment, of any revenue.

Meanwhile parking fees acrue at £2000 a day, £60000 per month, £720000 per year.
You think so? Ego over Experience rules.
Global's new Head of Bean Counting must be tearing his hair out at this.

Sotonsean
9th May 2024, 18:00
Not quite right.... POP leased the aircraft and paid the leases directly from 2 different lessors for 2 units at one stage.... They opted for HiFly to operate them for POP. HiFly operated both A330's for POP just like the proposed A380 deal with Global - not the other way round. POP pulled both from HiFly, one returning to the lessor and the other now being operated by SmartLynx... The experience POP had wasn't great with HiFly (allegedly) hence the termination and option for another carrier to operate POP's plane. Again, at no stage in the past has POP leased an aircraft from HiFly, as above - quite the contrary!

Thanks for that information and clarification of the actual circumstances.

I was clearly wrong on many levels regarding the story behind the operations of FlyPOP.

But I'm now fully informed which is appreciated.

santito
10th May 2024, 00:57
From FightGlobal, ‘The company state that it will assist with developing “new maintenance capabilities” at Prestwick.

Why would you fly your unserviceable aircraft to an airport with no maintenance facilities?

would it perhaps have been more sensible to develop the maintenance facility before sending the aircraft there to sit idle on the tarmac for months………?

willy wombat
10th May 2024, 08:02
I have no doubt that it’s a Baldrick inspired cunning plan.

GROUNDHOG
10th May 2024, 08:45
Wonder if they have thought about operating Prestwick to Rwanda?

compton3bravo
10th May 2024, 15:18
I think they might have a slight problem with the Scottish Government who own the airport with that suggestion.

Expatrick
10th May 2024, 15:23
Wonder if they have thought about operating Prestwick to Rwanda?

There's a thought, just one passenger, hand baggage only so minimal fuel, Govt. will happily pay an exorbitant sum - from an airline perspective what's not to like!

GROUNDHOG
10th May 2024, 15:24
I think they might have a slight problem with the Scottish Government who own the airport with that suggestion.
Ferry to Manston first?

Expatrick
10th May 2024, 15:32
Ferry to Manston first?

Yup, Dover direct Manston - I feel a business plan coming on!

oldandpastit
13th May 2024, 11:04
£720,000 is only 15% on top of the £4.9m burnt through in 2022 (last accounts for Holiday Swap Group Limited, they then had only 4 employees).
The question still is when will the few million left of the 140 or so shareholders' money run out? Or might the aircraft at Prestwick convince more to sign up?
Is Global Airlines now actually trading? How many employees does it actually have, as against the announcements?

Less Hair
13th May 2024, 11:08
Did they file the original flight plan to Prestwick or did they maybe have to land due to maximum crew duty time or a missing UK special permit for the gear down ferry? Where was this flight intended to end?

willy wombat
13th May 2024, 11:12
To be fair, if the aircraft is moved to the far side of the runway where the maintenance areas are I’m sure the parking charges will be significantly lower than suggested above. However that doesn’t answer the multitude of other questions about this whole situation.

amyisraelchai
13th May 2024, 11:35
Asquith seems to have had a bit of a fit on Instagram this morning with some incredibly nasty messages directed at somebody who made 1 sceptical comment 6 months ago. I'm amazed anybody is still convinced by this outfit.

jmdavies86
13th May 2024, 14:01
Asquith seems to have had a bit of a fit on Instagram this morning...

He literally posts something on social media on a daily basis, often repeating the same thing, albeit in a slightly different way - the posts regarding the recent flight to PIK are becoming rather tedious now to say the least and I think this is all just to massage his ego. Posting nasty messages directed at an individual smacks of desperation and isn't particularly professional either as it makes you wonder whether that's how he'll treat any crew/staff in the future.

BA318
13th May 2024, 14:29
He literally posts something on social media on a daily basis, often repeating the same thing, albeit in a slightly different way - the posts regarding the recent flight to PIK are becoming rather tedious now to say the least and I think this is all just to massage his ego. Posting nasty messages directed at an individual smacks of desperation and isn't particularly professional either as it makes you wonder whether that's how he'll treat any crew/staff in the future.

Also not particularly professional to then have the next story him downing a glass of champagne in one. But then after all he was the one who created the “slammertime” that went through some of the avgeek instagram community a while back.

shamrock7seal
13th May 2024, 14:41
This made me laugh out loud! Just read it under his bio on their own home-page.
I've bolded up & underlined what stood out at me from this. Is this meant to be a joke?

''Global Airlines was founded in 2021 by renowned travel personality and serial entrepreneur, James Asquith. James is insanely passionate about the joys of travel. He is also constantly bewildered and disappointed by the poor experiences he has encountered aboard hundreds of commercial flights whilst on his many adventures.''

I think they have actually summed up this whole project themselves in this one paragraph.

Flightrider
13th May 2024, 14:53
The problem is that he is believing his own press stuff, which is generally regarded as a latter sign of insanity. They have achieved one A380 with their name on the side and another with a gear-down ferry across the Atlantic where it's made it as far as Prestwick and seems to be mired in controversy (but let's not talk about that, hey?). When they manage a flight with fare-paying passengers on an A380 then maybe I'll take it more seriously.

dc9-32
14th May 2024, 05:49
remember, none of these operations were conducted by Global. The money may have come from Global, but that's all.

cherokee leader
14th May 2024, 15:12
As I write this from Prestwick, engineers are working on the A380 at the moment, with number 2 engine casing opened up. Also, a number of people in a red uniform have gone up the stairs, looking like cabin crew.

JerseyAero
14th May 2024, 16:19
Also, a number of people in a red uniform have gone up the stairs, looking like cabin crew.

Another publicity stunt probably - hire some people to dress up in the new cabin crew uniform and take photos inside the aircraft?

willy wombat
14th May 2024, 16:27
As I write this from Prestwick, engineers are working on the A380 at the moment, with number 2 engine casing opened up. Also, a number of people in a red uniform have gone up the stairs, looking like cabin crew.
Whereabout at PIK is the A380 parked?

The Hypnoboon
14th May 2024, 16:35
It's parked on the north side of the airfield on Apron F, I believe.

PIKAviationTours
15th May 2024, 06:13
Correct. Apron F flanked by three Wizz A321s awaiting checks at Storm Aviation.

islandhopper
15th May 2024, 07:30
Temporary hangar to built around the old girl so work can commence to get her back into service 😁

Asturias56
15th May 2024, 07:43
More respect for the ex First Minister please...............

Less Hair
15th May 2024, 07:52
Temporary hangar to built around the old girl so work can commence to get her back into service 😁

Sure, for the gear swing?

magyar_flyer
15th May 2024, 10:52
Pic ?

oldandpastit
15th May 2024, 11:05
Preparation for champage parties on board? To convince investors to put money into the new A380 maintenance venture at Prestwick that was nowhere in the previous plans?

DaveReidUK
15th May 2024, 17:53

Temporary, A380-sized hangar ...

Hmmm.

atakacs
15th May 2024, 19:05
Temporary, A380-sized hangar ...

Hmmm.

Would defnitely appreciate a picture (or is it just an expression of intention ?)

jmdavies86
15th May 2024, 21:13

Surely it would've been better, cheaper and easier to have flown it out of Mojave to somewhere else within the USA, have a temporary hangar built there to do all the necessary work and then ferry it across the Atlantic straight to Portugal, no...?!

amyisraelchai
16th May 2024, 06:44
Perhaps wrong but I feel the comment may have been somewhat "tongue in cheek"!

Sotonsean
16th May 2024, 15:06
Perhaps wrong but I feel the comment may have been somewhat "tongue in cheek"!

Exactly and there's people on this thread asking for photos, it's unbelievable 🙄

sangiovese.
16th May 2024, 18:05
Even better Asquith is putting out photos of the uniforms …..he might want to actually create an airline first

runway30
17th May 2024, 06:31
I have literally just fallen over laughing.

Just read the latest Sunday Times Rich List 40 richest people under 40 in the UK.

At number 16, James Asquith with a worth of, wait for it, £182 million. I’ll say that again £182 million. It says ‘These days the 35 year old runs the Airbnb rival Holiday Swap’.

So here is a challenge to The Sunday Times, become a proper newspaper with proper journalistic values and do a proper investigation of Mr. Asquith and what he’s up to.

GROUNDHOG
17th May 2024, 11:50
I have literally just fallen over laughing.

Just read the latest Sunday Times Rich List 40 richest people under 40 in the UK.

At number 16, James Asquith with a worth of, wait for it, £182 million. I’ll say that again £182 million. It says ‘These days the 35 year old runs the Airbnb rival Holiday Swap’.

So here is a challenge to The Sunday Times, become a proper newspaper with proper journalistic values and do a proper investigation of Mr. Asquith and what he’s up to.
These charts are usually inaccurate but having visited so many countries and achieving what he has so far some substantial funding must be in place. I recall a Mr Laker back in the 60's saying if you are starting a business do it with someone else's money or words to that effect.
That said of course we all know the most important things are getting the catering right and the crew uniform sorted or is there something else you have to do.

rogera
17th May 2024, 14:04
couldn't agree more !

Brian Pern
17th May 2024, 14:38
That said of course we all know the most important things are getting the catering right and the crew uniform sorted or is there something else you have to do.

I knew it, Asquith is from the Golgafincham B Ark.

slast
17th May 2024, 15:12
the Golgafincham B Ark. ?? What's that??

runway30
17th May 2024, 15:50
?? What's that??

Try the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

slast
17th May 2024, 15:55
Thanks, got it, agreed. :ugh:

PAXboy
17th May 2024, 16:10
Given that you could have named yourself 'Slartybartfast' ...?? :p

runway30
17th May 2024, 16:23
Given that you could have named yourself 'Slartybartfast' ...?? :p

I think he just took the shortened version 🤔

Captivep
17th May 2024, 16:24
Well, I suppose the A380 is big enough for the Captain to have a bath installed...

(with apologies to all who don't have as nerdy a knowledge of THHGTTG as some of us, me included, appear to have!

Flying Hi
17th May 2024, 16:50
Try the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
I was thinking more on the lines of "Wall-E"

PAXboy
18th May 2024, 10:58
On his Instagram 'A' posts a pic of four females in the uniform (+ himself of course!) under the #1 engine at PIK and captioned "... wonderful photoshoot at one of our a380s." I kid you not. One respondent asked about male uniforms. Good question but I haven't seen an answer yet.

runway30
18th May 2024, 11:28
On his Instagram 'A' posts a pic of four females in the uniform (+ himself of course!) under the #1 engine at PIK and captioned "... wonderful photoshoot at one of our a380s." I kid you not. One respondent asked about male uniforms. Good question but I haven't seen an answer yet.

I like that, one of our a380s……………….out of our fleet of…….er……….one……………….that we can’t actually operate……………er………that isn’t actually allowed to fly.

muggins
18th May 2024, 12:04
since we have wandered into the realms of radio comedy, may I offer this quote from John Finnemore's "Cabin Pressure" series 1 episode 1:

CAROLYN: I don’t have an airline. I have one jet. You cannot put one jet in a line. If MJN is anything, it is an airdot.

sangiovese.
18th May 2024, 15:04

Perhaps this thing is a big spoof for an investor for only big fans and use the empty aircraft for other purposes. The cc uniform gloves might imply that….

magyar_flyer
18th May 2024, 17:29
Perhaps this thing is a big spoof for an investor for only big fans and use the empty aircraft for other purposes. The cc uniform gloves might imply that….
Aha now we are talking 🤪

FilipLongo
19th May 2024, 08:10
House!! :ok:

is that Real ?

slast
20th May 2024, 12:01
" is it real"..... II have my doubts about what the video posted on X/twitter a couple of days ago is showing. It implies it was taken from the Global A380 taxying in at PIK but looks to me to be much lower... someone else suggested it was from a biz jet. Perhaps someone who has taken pictures from an A380 on the ground can comment.

bjones4
20th May 2024, 12:15
I have my doubts about what the video posted on X/twitter a couple of days ago is showing. It implies it was taken from the Global A380 taxying in at PIK but looks to me to be much lower... someone else suggested it was from a biz jet. Perhaps someone who has taken pictures from an A380 on the ground can comment.
That taxi video is 100% not from an A380, the viewpoint is below the top of the fence, the doors on the main deck of an A380 are 5m above ground! Wouldn't surprise me if it's filmed from a vehicle given the lack of any enthusiasm on display from the crowd.

Captivep
20th May 2024, 12:53
" is it real"..... II have my doubts about what the video posted on X/twitter a couple of days ago is showing. It implies it was taken from the Global A380 taxying in at PIK but looks to me to be much lower... someone else suggested it was from a biz jet. Perhaps someone who has taken pictures from an A380 on the ground can comment.
I watched the arrival on livestream and I don't recall it taxiing along that taxiway or, indeed, anywhere near where those spectators are!

The Nutts Mutts
20th May 2024, 13:21
Definitely from a vehicle

DaveReidUK
20th May 2024, 17:30
Definitely from a vehicle

So it is a taxi video ? :O

GROUNDHOG
20th May 2024, 17:46
So it is a taxi video ? :O
No it probably was an A380.... Audi A3-80

Captivep
21st May 2024, 11:56
A later reply on the thread seems to suggest the video was taken from the Challenger that flew in from Lisbon (9H-MIR):

https://x.com/BloodyPolitics/status/1791227331517833525

Original post by Global still a bit misleading, though.

ATNotts
21st May 2024, 12:04
Implying untrue information (that the photos were taken on the A380) is dangerous, supposing (for the sake of not inviting attention from Asquith's legal team - he is very wealthy according to the Sunday Times) of course that the shots weren't taken from the big bird.

Captivep
21st May 2024, 13:21
This was Global's original post:

https://x.com/globalairlines/status/1791121007597555891?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7 Ctwgr%5Etweet

Does it imply that the video was from the A380? I think it does, although Mr Asquith could argue otherwise. However, it certainly invites the audience to infer that it's exactly where it was filmed from!

kcockayne
21st May 2024, 16:51
If that video was taken from an A380, it must have had flat tyres !

Brian Pern
21st May 2024, 17:30
With all this obvious bull@@@ about Global, I can only wonder if Asquith's claim to have traveled to every country in the world, by the time he was 24 at a cost of £125k is a bit of a lie

BusterHot
21st May 2024, 18:15
Reminds me of The Guv and his Tristars (remember him?), only on steroids.

Captivep
24th May 2024, 10:24
Anybody want to see Global's cabin crew uniform? Of course you do!

https://x.com/globalairlines/status/1793644925344792819

atakacs
24th May 2024, 11:56
TBH I prefered the v1 they presented a few month ago (https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/647892-new-start-global-airlines-16.html#post11605005) - epecially the black leather gloves...

rkenyon
24th May 2024, 12:14
No male uniforms again... I guess he just wants trolley dollies.

bjones4
24th May 2024, 13:27
The A380 at Prestwick doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon, it's had the engines and ports taped up

https://flic.kr/p/2pSG2jH/player/

Sotonsean
24th May 2024, 18:57
The A380 at Prestwick doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon, it's had the engines and ports taped up

This aircraft in my opinion will end up in a similar way to the MD-80 which has been languishing at LGW since 2010.

UnderASouthernSky
24th May 2024, 19:33

What does Airbus class as long term storage as for aircraft systems protection? During covid, many airlines covered up but then ran systems, rolled tyres etc every X days to prevent ticking over into a more permanent state of storage.

magyar_flyer
24th May 2024, 20:48

Well no trace of the 'mobile hangar / tent' being mentioned in previous posts.

jethro15
24th May 2024, 22:58
854 posts on this topic yet there is no ‘concrete’ evidence that this was ever a sustainable proposal.

The fact that an A380 has been acquired by ‘Someone’, flown across the Atlantic with its gear down to Prestwick and appears to be put into a mothballed state strikes me as a complete lack of foresight by those behind this venture, and those who put money in to allow this positioning flight to happen. Was PIK intended as a fuel stop only?

Anyone able to confirm that the CAA are involved in the current status of the aircraft?

My PURE guess, thinking into recently published photos of crew uniforms (Using models) is that this is just a stunt to try and deflect from an unconceived idea which has collapsed.

Or, is their anyone from an official, identifiable capacity from ‘Global’ willing to respond not only to this post, but to the negative posts (Me included) which proliferate this thread.

I’m just waiting with baited breath and anticipation to be proved wrong in thinking that both investors. media and SOME members of this forum have been taken for fools.

Anyone promoting ‘Global’ solely via social media is doing so just for the sole intention of attention seeking. Even mainstream aviation sources appear to be now ignoring this debacle.

Will a credible spokesperson for ‘Global’ please come forward and put us out of our thoughts of speculation with regard to what is exactly going on. The negativity on this forum is doing you no favours whatsoever. Failure to do so will prove many of us correct.

dc9-32
25th May 2024, 05:56
Assuming it was flown on a Permit to Fly and possibly limited to 2 flight cycles as part of that Permit to Fly, OK, BYJ does not have customs but it can be arranged so I would have thought it more practical to route YUL-BYJ and not via PIK. It's 300nm or so longer but why route to PIK when there is no maintenance support for an A380? My guess, just a guess, it did not have UKCAA approval and now it's on UK soil, the UKCAA will be all over it. They can be like a dog with a bone when dealing with these types of flights.

MARK 101
25th May 2024, 07:49
Assuming it was flown on a Permit to Fly and possibly limited to 2 flight cycles as part of that Permit to Fly, OK, BYJ does not have customs but it can be arranged so I would have thought it more practical to route YUL-BYJ and not via PIK. It's 300nm or so longer but why route to PIK when there is no maintenance support for an A380? My guess, just a guess, it did not have UKCAA approval and now it's on UK soil, the UKCAA will be all over it. They can be like a dog with a bone when dealing with these types of flights.
does the fact that its Malteses registered have any impact on CAA rules. Whilst its on UK soil its not UK registered. I have no idea what the rules are,but sure someone out there does

dc9-32
25th May 2024, 16:34
UK is no longer part of the EU and this aircraft is EU registered so if ferried on a Permit to Fly, it needed permission to be in UK airspace. Same for Canada, Greenland, Iceland if it overflew those.

Most embarrassing if HiFly didn't secure route permits so still begs the question, why take it to PIK ?

Flightrider
25th May 2024, 17:05
It is quite amusing that whenever the questions or doubts heat up on here, Asquith pops up with some comments on Linkedin. He's posted another puff piece this afternoon about the ferry flight. Mate, if that's as far as you've gotten to date and the aircraft seems to be stuck in Prestwick, I'd keep your head down until you've something to actually say!

Sotonsean
25th May 2024, 19:24
Well no trace of the 'mobile hangar / tent' being mentioned in previous posts.

You do realise that the comments made in a previous post regarding a 'mobile hangar / tent' being erected around the aircraft was meant as humour and not to be taken seriously 🙄

Someone on this thread even asked for photos of such 'mobile hangar / tent' :rolleyes:

Less Hair
25th May 2024, 19:56
In fact Airbus developed a tent to make engine changes in hostile climate environments possible.
http://images.app.goo.gl/Tm9AbjMfTm9gCjLS8

runway30
25th May 2024, 21:29
Storm Aviation have a licence to undertake line maintenance on the a380. To get a licence for base maintenance they would have to have a hangar they can pull the aircraft into, which they haven’t got.
So unless they very quickly build a hangar surely the aircraft is going somewhere else?

oldandpastit
25th May 2024, 22:33
854 posts on this topic yet there is no ‘concrete’ evidence that this was ever a sustainable proposal.

What makes this one different is that it appears around 140 people had enough confidence in it to give Holiday Swap Group Limited over £20m to keep it going.

The UK companies have filed only unaudited abridged accounts with no profit & loss statement so far.

Global have a chance to change opinion by filing *audited* 2023 accounts for both companies, with the detail an investor might expect, and soon rather than leaving it near the deadline.

Mr Jetlag
26th May 2024, 21:49

As has been remarked on previously, there was another flight plan filed for the same day that the aircraft arrived in PIK, this one for BYJ-MLA.

My assumption (and I'm happy to be proven wrong) was that the plan was for the aircraft to route YUL-BYJ (and then on to Malta, which has A380 maintenance capability), but that a combination of adverse winds and gear down required a divert to PIK.

AircraftOperations
26th May 2024, 22:47
As has been remarked on previously, there was another flight plan filed for the same day that the aircraft arrived in PIK, this one for BYJ-MLA.

My assumption (and I'm happy to be proven wrong) was that the plan was for the aircraft to route YUL-BYJ (and then on to Malta, which has A380 maintenance capability), but that a combination of adverse winds and gear down required a divert to PIK.

Seem to remember FR24 was showing its flight from YUL to be headed for PIK almost immediately after departure from YUL. Granted, FR24 can be inaccurate, but it suggests that PIK was the FPL destination and not, at least, an in-flight diversion. On the GC, PIK is 350nm closer to YUL than BYJ.

barry lloyd
26th May 2024, 23:30
Seem to remember FR24 was showing its flight from YUL to be headed for PIK almost immediately after departure from YUL. Granted, FR24 can be inaccurate, but it suggests that PIK was the FPL destination and not, at least, an in-flight diversion. On the GC, PIK is 350nm closer to YUL than BYJ.

That's correct. The next flight shown on FR24 was BYJ-MLA, but oddly, no filed connection between PIK and BYJ. What I found significant was the fact that within an hour the crew were on their way to LIS in the company jet. Clearly there was no intention to night-stop, so one has to wonder what exactly the plan was, or whether plan A was scrapped, but there was no plan B.

jethro15
27th May 2024, 00:54
What I found significant was the fact that within an hour the crew were on their way to LIS in the company jet.
Like I continually say, some on this forum folk have seen through this this debacle..

There are no PIK APPROVED facilities for A380 maintenance.

I await the the next 'LinkedIn' post in response!

SWBKCB
27th May 2024, 06:10

Lots of comments on here about flight plans - is this solely derived from FR24?

Alteagod
27th May 2024, 09:11
Is it just sitting in PIK or is anything happening with the aircraft. Surely sitting outside exposed on the west coast of Scotland does the airframe no good.

Mr Jetlag
27th May 2024, 21:40

I stand corrected! Excuse the possibly ignorant question, but does it still happen that a flight will sometimes file for a closer destination and then while en route refile for its intended destination? I'm not Ops but I seem to recall such tales from Ops colleagues (for a UK-originating flight): "we were a bit tight to file for JFK so we filed for Gander and then refiled for JFK after a few hours aloft."

slast
27th May 2024, 22:16
Mr J: Yes, used to do it for example with B744 ex Hong Kong Kai Tak, which could be very limiting on takeoff weight on r/w 31 in summer. Couldn't accomodate all payload plus enough fuel for London (routing over for example Frankfurt or Amsterdam) with all required reserves without being overweight for takeoff. So: fIle plan for e.g. Frankfurt, if all goes well and you get the altitudes etc you wanted, the contingency fuel for that situation hadn't been used. Approaching Frankfurt and with all other necessary conditions met you can now refile to London because you still have adequate reserves to do it quite safely. If my memory serves me rightly!! And no idea how commonplace it is these days.

Expressflight
28th May 2024, 08:56
That does sound a plausible explanation.

Alteagod
28th May 2024, 12:27
I remember eons ago AirUK used to operate during the Summer BFS to GCI on F27. They would file to EXT and then if conditions allowed "divert" to GCI. Modern flight planning software probably makes it very difficult to do similar now.

Fletch
28th May 2024, 12:41
I would have thought in this particular instance they'd want to be pretty confident they'd make the intended destination (maintenance facility), be it Prestwick or elsewhere.

JerseyAero
28th May 2024, 12:48
Is it just sitting in PIK or is anything happening with the aircraft. Surely sitting outside exposed on the west coast of Scotland does the airframe no good.
I visited Prestwick recently and during the period I was there, I could not see any work being carried out on the aircraft. The engines are covered with plastic sheets and tape so doesn't look like it is going anywhere soon.

Skipness One Foxtrot
28th May 2024, 13:37
The Canadian L1011-100 operators out of PIK for Toronto used to file a flight plan to Mirabel and continue for Toronto most days. Pre internet that used to confuse me greatly.....

Lord Bracken
29th May 2024, 09:42
The Canadian L1011-100 operators out of PIK for Toronto used to file a flight plan to Mirabel and continue for Toronto most days. Per internet that used to confuse me greatly.....

Likewise BA Tristars leaving the Gulf for London in August, even departing in the middle of the night they would file to somewhere like FRA and divert to LHR later in the flight.

BusterHot
29th May 2024, 18:05
Okay, so anyone thats ever operated Ultra Long/Long Haul knows that this is a way of making your destination when things are tight (only done that a few hundred times ever), but apart from how that A380 finds itself at PIK, what has this got to do with Global and if its ever going to start service?

SWBKCB
29th May 2024, 18:49
I agree there's a fair amount of guesswork going on here, but I think we all agree that it's pretty hard to start services without a serviceable aircraft, and they don't seem to be getting any nearer to that.