View Full Version : New Start - Global Airlines

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

GrimeySky
7th Aug 2023, 10:10
The boy Asquith's been doing interviews again... this garbage in today's Independent, apparently from an interview with the Press Association.New UK airline says its passengers will ‘feel like a million dollars’Global Airlines is aiming to begin operating flights between Gatwick and New York JFK by the middle of next year.QUOTE Global Airlines is aiming to begin operating between Gatwick and New YorkJFK by the middle of next year, before launching flights between Gatwick and Los Angeles. UNQUOTE
>>> So 'spring' has moved to by 30JUN... (Most experts assume the launch will be 1st April...)

QUOTE Founder and chief executive James Asquith, who created travel company Holiday Swap, said he has received “thousands of emails and messages” from people keen to fly on his airline. UNQUOTE
>>> Data science eh?! Evidence of solid demand.

QUOTE “People have had enough with how they are treated. Consistently there are devaluations in loyalty platforms.

“There are people in management and shareholders that will over-reward themselves.

“I want to primarily build a legacy. I’d rather walk away with zero (money) and have something that people genuinely love.” UNQUOTE

>>> A 'legacy' need not be a positive thing. So I think Asquith can tick that box anyway. Of the final two claim 'zero money and something that people will love' --- I suspect that he WILL achieve one or other of those goals...

QUOTE The 34-year-old said the quality of food and drinks on Global Airlines aircraft will be “the best” across all transatlantic services. UNQUOTE

>>> Haha - 'the best'. No comment! :)

QUOTE The airline, which will be based at Gatwick, will serve Laurent-Perrier champagne on its flights, and hopes to even offer passengers in economy cabins a free glass, depending on costs. UNQUOTE

>>> Pick that apart... 'hopes to offer' (= but probably won't) - and he adds the careful disclaimer 'depending on costs' (= won't!)

QUOT “Having a strong product in first class should filter down to economy, and make people in economy feel like a million dollars,” he claimed. UNQUOTE

>>> Winning strategy! There's nothing like knowing that folks up front are travelling in style to make a 30 inch pitch seat feel luxurious eh! :)

But got to remember - this carrier is never flying - so this is purely an illustration of PR puffery trying to attract investors. This is NOT intended as an analysis of an airline operation - because Global ain't going to happen.

GrimeySky
7th Aug 2023, 10:12
(And one more from the Independent)

QUOTE “I don’t think more flights and more carriers equals more competition,” he said.

“I actually just see that as more demand and supply on the route, which makes it easier to stand out if you have a better product.” UNQUOTE

>>> Interesting analysis of supply and demand! :)

slast
7th Aug 2023, 16:24
Just caught up with this subject.... a lot of this sounds like the Elizabeth Holmes / Theranos story: she had a lot of big name "advisory board members" and got 11 years for fraud for her "Revolutionary blood test technology" Or the cult-like reactions on Twitter to any criticism, the super-casual dress etc are very reminscent of Adam Neuman and the WeWork fiasco. He had a "vision" of disrupting the rented office space market to dominate the world and "make it a better place" , but made the basic error of expansion at any cost by ignoring basic business logic and taking out long term leases at any price, and renting the space short term at below cost. Went from a notional $47 BILLION value to bankrupt in 6 weeks. Most of his employees and investors were screwed over. Though he got away with a fortune personally . See The Cult of WeWork: A Culture Lesson for Every Visionary Unicorn - Liberty Mind (https://libertymind.co.uk/the-cult-of-wework-a-culture-lesson-for-every-visionary-unicorn/#:~:text=WeWork%20made%20co-working%20a%20must-have%2C%20a%20space%20you,philosophy%20that%20every%20member %20of%20WeWork%20bought%20into.) . The AppleTV+ series "Wecrashed" is very watchable as well.

slast
7th Aug 2023, 17:15
Global Airlines' Airbus A380 Start-Up Plans: How Realistic Are They? (simpleflying.com) (https://simpleflying.com/global-airlines-plans-analysis/)

GrimeySky
7th Aug 2023, 19:28
Seth Miller of PaxEx has filed again on the Global disaster story --- Global Airlines' questionable partnership claims continue | PaxEx.Aero (https://paxex.aero/global-airlines-partnership-questions/)

7th Aug 2023, 23:21
When queried about the relationship, American Express had a rather different take. Yes, a company spokesman confirmed, AmEx and Global Airlines now have a “merchant acceptance agreement.”

I hope people don't mind me taking this opportunity to clarify some details about my proposed regional airline FlyAlpharcityWhoodwinx3, which I am convinced will be an excellent compliment / feeder to Global. When I said that FlyAlpharcityWhoodwinx3's partnership with a major worldwide financial services and online payments services provider would give billions of people access to FlyAlpharcityWhoodwinx3's services and brand, what I meant was that I've registered a PayPal account and have ordered an iZettle card reader.

In relation to my statement that Coca Cola Inc is providing major support in the behind the scenes development of my brand, I can confirm that it is entirely correct that I almost finished a 2l bottle while trying to get the powerpoint finished late at night.

I hope this puts an end to some of the scurrilous speculation that we have seen in recent days.

GROUNDHOG
8th Aug 2023, 06:41
I recall years ago the experts here saying an airline start up I was involved in would never happen,one member offering to eat his hat.
it did happen.
Really enjoyed the Global saga if nothing else it has raised a lot of publicity but I can't see anything else doing any rising.

​​

Asturias56
8th Aug 2023, 07:46
Big splash in the Times today - but they point out how few "followers" his previous transformational " outfits have had and that it could take a year to assemble the paperwork

G-ARZG
8th Aug 2023, 17:15
Big splash in the Times today - but they point out how few "followers" his previous transformational " outfits have had and that it could take a year to assemble the paperwork

The Times piece states ”bought 4 Airbus A380's. One, complete with branding, has already been delivered".

Interesting use of the word "delivered" there, eh?

'ZG

slast
8th Aug 2023, 17:50
Anyone know anything about Cees Van Dooren, who's an ex Emirates pilot hired as A380 project manager for Global?

Asturias56
9th Aug 2023, 07:13
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/former-emirates-captain-cees-van-dooren-becomes-latest-global-airlines-hire-301852077.html

SWBKCB
9th Aug 2023, 07:23
Only mentions three times 'expected' inaugural flights in Spring 2024.

DP.
9th Aug 2023, 12:27
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/former-emirates-captain-cees-van-dooren-becomes-latest-global-airlines-hire-301852077.html

"At Global, Cees has been advising CEO James Asquith for the last 18 months and was instrumental in identifying the first aircraft to join the fleet."

And yet they selected an aircraft with business class seats that are subject to an AD, and are apparently no longer legal to fly?

PAXboy
9th Aug 2023, 13:16
I am so enjoying watching this play out. by this stage, anyone who invested must have seen the writing on the wall - unless of course they want it as a tax write off for the accountants.

Bigwig11
24th Aug 2023, 11:45
This will never happen….the first A380 is still not owned so all this PR is premature ….purely scouting for investor money to sink into a deep black hole

GrimeySky
25th Aug 2023, 09:15
Gotta assume that Asquith's gullible shareholders will soon be expensing the boy wonder's trip to BKK shortly to 'inspect' these A380s! :)

Want An Airbus A380? Thai Airways Is Selling 6! (simpleflying.com) (https://simpleflying.com/thai-airways-selling-6-airbus-a380s/)

Curious if the guru ever uses his Holiday Swap app to fix accommodation for his 'business travel'? (Has ANYONE heard of let alone met anyone actually using this app?!) Shareholders will no doubt be coughing up for a suite at the Mandarin Oriental for him and his EK-retired girlfriend! :)

Meanwhile, how are things with the AOC? Post holders in place? All ready to commence ops on 1st April 2024 as promised?

DaveReidUK
25th Aug 2023, 10:36
This will never happen….the first A380 is still not owned so all this PR is premature ….

As, the not-so-subtle difference between "entered into an agreement to acquire", "secured" and "bought". :O

Asturias56
25th Aug 2023, 13:20
see Glazers/Manchester United....................

Bigwig11
27th Aug 2023, 20:42
I bet this will drag on until investor money is spent or if someone starts some legal proceedings due too all the false information being peddled

GrimeySky
28th Aug 2023, 20:57
Considering there's UAE money in it, that legal action may well play out in Dubai. Which may not be the optimum jurisdiction for young Mr. Asquith.

Reports say he's establishing the HQ for his HolidaySwap company in Dubai:

Dubai lures UK travel firm Holiday Swap | AGBI (https://www.agbi.com/articles/dubai-lures-uk-travel-firm-holiday-swap-saudi-rivalry/)

But still waiting to meet anyone who's actually downloaded the Holiday Swap App - let alone actually used the service. Not holding my breath!

PAXboy
29th Aug 2023, 16:01
I bet this will drag on until investor money is spent or if someone starts some legal proceedings due too all the false information being peddled
Probably! But they will have no one but themselves to blame as the writing was on the wall before they wrote on the contract. This is why I think some may be placing money into the scheme, in order to post a loss against tax. Not that we have ever seen rich people do that before ...

DaveReidUK
29th Aug 2023, 17:42
Probably! But they will have no one but themselves to blame as the writing was on the wall before they wrote on the contract. This is why I think some may be placing money into the scheme, in order to post a loss against tax. Not that we have ever seen rich people do that before ...

I've often wondered how that works (not being an accountant, obviously).

If you lose your shirt on an investment, how can that still be less than the tax you would otherwise have had to pay on that amount?

Standing by to be educated ...

rogera
29th Aug 2023, 21:33
If a company goes into liquidation a shareholder can make a “ negligible loss “ claim equal to the amount of money they invested as issued share capital. This is a capital loss, but can be offset against income from other sources in the same tax year the company was liquidated.

According to companies house, global airlines limited is a 95% owned subsidiary of holiday swap group limited. The latest accounts filed for the latter company are for the year ended 31.12.21 during which year there was a £12m issue of shares to a large number of individual shareholders but there is a debtor for “ unpaid share capital “ of an equal amount so it appears that no new money has been received by the company. The company’s accounts for the year ended 31.12.22 are due for filing at companies house by 30th September so it will be interesting to see what these accounts show.

slast
31st Aug 2023, 15:08
Full page report of the "event" last month in the September "Flight". General tone of the item was neutral, just quoting already known material. Last paragraph had some possibly new staffing info.
"The company’s latest appointments include former XL Airways chief operating officer and SR Technics managing director Pierre Madrange, as well as Capt. Ian Black – both will join an advisory board to provide airline operational management support. London City airport corporate affairs director Liam McKay is also transferring to the company.Global Airlines has already identified Richard Stephenson as its chief commercial officer, while it has named several other figures to key roles – including former US Air Force assistant secretary Kevin Billings as advi[1]sory board chair, and ex-Emirates pilot Cees van Dooren as AA380 project manager. Former Rolls-Royce chief customer officer Jacqueline Sutton and ex-EasyJet captain Emma Henderson will also join the advisory board."

GrimeySky
31st Aug 2023, 15:12
I believe all of those had been announced in prior releases from Global. Notable though that none of those roles are anything other than 'advisory' so (presumably) do not count/qualify for AOC application.

So they're still on track for the 1st April 2024 launch date! ;)

slast
31st Aug 2023, 15:16
I believe all of those had been announced in prior releases from Global. You're probably right, I just hadn't registered a couple of them.
[/QUOTE]Notable though that none of those roles are anything other than 'advisory' so (presumably) do not count/qualify for AOC application. So they're still on track for the 1st April 2024 launch date! ;)[/QUOTE] Indeed! Looking forward to seeing the splash adverts on TV soon, we are planning our hols...!

slast
31st Aug 2023, 15:18
I believe all of those had been announced in prior releases from Global. You're probably right, I just hadn't registered a couple of them.
Notable though that none of those roles are anything other than 'advisory' so (presumably) do not count/qualify for AOC application. So they're still on track for the 1st April 2024 launch date! ;) Indeed! Looking forward to seeing the splash adverts on TV soon, we are planning our hols...!

GrimeySky
31st Aug 2023, 15:21
One assumes that the people listed as 'advisory board' are also treading carefully as to extent of their involvement. They will be aware that the 'appointment' will remain a part of their CVs/resumes forever.

Sotonsean
31st Aug 2023, 19:20
One assumes that the people listed as 'advisory board' are also treading carefully as to extent of their involvement. They will be aware that the 'appointment' will remain a part of their CVs/resumes forever.

Not everyone has to add their full previous employment history on their CV/resumes forever.

I took a temporary employment position during the covid pandemic and it's definitely not included on my CV/resume.

GrimeySky
31st Aug 2023, 19:25
Not everyone has to add their full previous employment history on their CV/resumes forever.

I took a temporary employment position during the covid pandemic and it's definitely not included on my CV/resume.

>>> I mean that with Global, the current 'advisory board' have all been announced by way of press releases, and in media articles (EG Flight) - so anyone who has been associated with this fabulous new airline will have that on their records in the future whether they want to or not. A quick search through archives or online will show the people responsible. (Whether or not they choose to include on their CV or resume - which I suspect some may choose not to...)

DaveReidUK
31st Aug 2023, 21:19
I can't see that being a problem.

Interviewer: "So you were on the advisory board of Global Airlines?"

Interviewee: "Yes, but they didn't take my advice - if they had, they would probably have made a go of it".

Interviewer: "Ah, OK then. Let's talk about the rest of your career"

PAXboy
1st Sep 2023, 15:28
I can't see that being a problem.

Interviewer: "So you were on the advisory board of Global Airlines?"

Interviewee: "Yes, but they didn't take my advice - if they had, they would probably have made a go of it".

Interviewer: "Ah. So tell me what should they have done? What did you tell them that they ignored?

PAXboy
1st Sep 2023, 15:28
GrimeySky "What did you do during Covid Mr Sky?" :ok:

DaveReidUK
1st Sep 2023, 15:59
Interviewer: "Ah. So tell me what should they have done? What did you tell them that they ignored?

Interviewee: "How long have you got?"

:O

Flying Hi
1st Sep 2023, 16:06
It may have been asked before but does anyone know if this A380 'purchased' by Global actually exists and where is it currently, slowly rotting on a concrete pad somewhere?

It may have been asked before but does anyone know if this A380 'purchased' by Global actually exists and where is it currently, slowly rotting on a concrete pad somewhere?

DaveReidUK
1st Sep 2023, 18:35

The A380 used in all the publicity shots is real enough (MSN 6). It was photographed at Lourdes/Tarbes, where it's been parked since 2020.

Flying Hi
1st Sep 2023, 18:47
The A380 used in all the publicity shots is real enough (MSN 6). It was photographed at Lourdes/Tarbes, where it's been parked since 2020.
Thanks.
I wonder what it will take just to get the frame airworthy again after 4/5 mouldering years there, assuming 2025 /6 as a start date. It's 17 yrs old already and hasnt flown since Dec 2020.
MOT run out?

DaveReidUK
1st Sep 2023, 21:19
I predict that when it finally departs Lourdes, it will be in small pieces ...

TheSpiddalKid
2nd Sep 2023, 11:34
Thanks.
I wonder what it will take just to get the frame airworthy again after 4/5 mouldering years there, assuming 2025 /6 as a start date. It's 17 yrs old already and hasnt flown since Dec 2020.
MOT run out?
If a miracle were to happen, it would be in the right place for it.

Superpilot
5th Sep 2023, 00:11
They're gonna become hotels

G-ARZG
8th Sep 2023, 17:50
All gone very quiet at 'Glow Ball HQ'....too quiet?

Flying Hi
8th Sep 2023, 18:01
All gone very quiet at 'Glow Ball HQ'....too quiet?
I was wondering if they were busy changing the livery on 'their' 380 from GLOBAL to GULLIBLE?
Or maybe have a temporary shortage of snake oil? Aviation grade of course.

GrimeySky
24th Sep 2023, 15:40
Utter silence from Global during September. Plan coming unstuck already?

Interestingly they are listed as attending Routes in 3 weeks time. Will they be there? Will they have ANYTHING to say?

Airline Attendees | Routes World 2023 | Routes (routesonline.com) (https://www.routesonline.com/events/244/routes-world-2023/attending-delegates/p4/?orgtypeid=2&listorder=atoz#mainContent)

DaveReidUK
24th Sep 2023, 19:51
Utter silence from Global during September.

Their demise, when it inevitably comes, will be not with a bang but with a whimper.

PAXboy
25th Sep 2023, 19:08
I do hope their demise is in a beautiful shower of sparks because I shall miss following this story and the ridiculous things they are saying. When this comes to an end, it would good to at least have a spectacular ending.

TwinAisle
26th Sep 2023, 19:19
These things always end the same way - rather like a promised amazing fireworks display, that in fact turns out to be a few sparklers that end up fizzling out in the khazi, akin to Robert Maxwell's last cigar.

That A380 in Lourdes isn't subject to any imminent miracle, and its future lies in the hands of the keyring collectors, the beer can and razorblade makers.

Plus ca change.

Flying Hi
26th Sep 2023, 19:33
Meanwhile Asquith dines out on the money of misguided Investors?
Have NONE of the 'advisors' twigged yet that Global is just a Bubble about to pop? They're not a daft lot. Surely someone smells the Gorgonzola??

TwinAisle
26th Sep 2023, 19:47
Meanwhile Asquith dines out on the money of misguided Investors?
Have NONE of the 'advisors' twigged yet that Global is just a Bubble about to pop? They're not a daft lot. Surely someone smells the Gorgonzola??

The pros smelled the Stinking Bishop yonks ago.

Sadly this industry - from bitter experience - too often falls into two camps as far as delivery is concerned. Firstly, the starry eyed dreamers, the aerosexuals (copyright Mr O'Leary) for whom financial reality gets in the way of their industry changing, world beating, orgasm inducing plans. Don't talk about RASK, CASK, yields, regulators, post holders etc you SQUARE. You just need to BELIEVE more. Do we all believe in fairies, boys and girls?

Secondly, the gullible morons who buy this nonsense and write cheques to feed them. A fool and their money are soon parted....

jmdavies86
28th Sep 2023, 11:29
Global Airlines and Hi Fly have signed an agreement to work together on the development and maintenance of the four A380 aircraft the new airline has agreed to acquire.

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/global-airlines-contract-hi-fly-accelerate-a380-entry%3FtrackingId=535mGW7X7sQnx083D4aZ2w%253D%253D/?trackingId=535mGW7X7sQnx083D4aZ2w%3D%3D

AircraftOperations
28th Sep 2023, 11:43
Global Airlines and Hi Fly have signed an agreement to work together on the development and maintenance of the four A380 aircraft the new airline has agreed to acquire.

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/global-airlines-contract-hi-fly-accelerate-a380-entry%3FtrackingId=535mGW7X7sQnx083D4aZ2w%253D%253D/?trackingId=535mGW7X7sQnx083D4aZ2w%3D%3D

Piggybacking on their AOC too?

Surely if Hi Fly thought the A380 was such an astounding aircraft, they'd still be operating one themselves?

TwinAisle
28th Sep 2023, 11:47
First Global aircraft expected to fly to Europe in the months ahead, with a new registration of 9H-GLOBL

Thoughts on that registration anyone?

And last time I looked Lourdes was in Europe…

AircraftOperations
28th Sep 2023, 12:24

Guess the registration makes sense, given that they seem to be offering 9H-***** to others (e.g. 9H-VISTA on a Vistajet Global 7500)

DP.
28th Sep 2023, 12:59

'The short-term focus for both organisations are the EIS and RTS processes for Global's first aircraft, expected to commence in the months ahead'.

That doesn't sound like a strong commitment for an airline who claim they're going to be flying next spring.

Their Twitter account made their first tweet in nearly six weeks yesterday, and it was a plug for Holiday Swap. Although I did notice this from their 'Director of Corporate Affairs': https://x.com/liammckayaero/status/1707357078212186329?s=20

TwinAisle
28th Sep 2023, 13:01
I live and learn. Thanks :)

Guess the registration makes sense, given that they seem to be offering 9H-***** to others (e.g. 9H-VISTA on a Vistajet Global 7500)

Less Hair
28th Sep 2023, 13:34
9H-VAPOR

jmdavies86
28th Sep 2023, 14:51
Piggybacking on their AOC too?

Are they [Global] going to end up doing something similar to what FlyPop did and have an aircraft(s) painted into their livery and flying around the world, but never actually provide scheduled services on the route(s) that they've suggested they want to serve.

As an interesting aside, I've noticed that all of FlyPop's A330s are no longer showing as operating for them - MSNs 1527 (G-EPOP) & 1445 (9H-POP) are due to be delivered to US-Bangla Airlines and 1420 (9H-PTP) was delivered to Saudi Arabian Airlines at the end of June, so have FlyPop stopped now...?!

SWBKCB
28th Sep 2023, 15:24
At least FlyPOP had aircraft other people wanted to fly. HiFly have tried the A380 ACMI/charter route already

DP.
28th Sep 2023, 15:40
At least FlyPOP had aircraft other people wanted to fly. HiFly have tried the A380 ACMI/charter route already

Quite. And replaced them with A330s because they are, in their words, 'a smaller and more adequate aircraft for current market conditions'

ATNotts
28th Sep 2023, 15:56
Are they [Global] going to end up doing something similar to what FlyPop did and have an aircraft(s) painted into their livery and flying around the world, but never actually provide scheduled services on the route(s) that they've suggested they want to serve.

As an interesting aside, I've noticed that all of FlyPop's A330s are no longer showing as operating for them - MSNs 1527 (G-EPOP) & 1445 (9H-POP) are due to be delivered to US-Bangla Airlines and 1420 (9H-PTP) was delivered to Saudi Arabian Airlines at the end of June, so have FlyPop stopped now...?!
FlyPop must surely have gone pop by now, or must be pretty close. Much like Hans Airways.

G-ARZG
28th Sep 2023, 16:10
9H-VAPOR

followed by 9H-AHHAH

southamptonavgeek
28th Sep 2023, 17:47

And last time I looked Lourdes was in Europe…
Three other aircraft in the USA apparently. Ex China Southern?

SWBKCB
29th Sep 2023, 11:21
If they are going to use HiFly's AOC, presumably some negotiations needed with both the British and American authorities?

Confirmed Must Ride
29th Sep 2023, 16:15
How are they going to operate a 9H aircraft on a UK route? EASA crew based where? Or will it be a cheeky Maastricht- Gatwick - New York routing

ATNotts
29th Sep 2023, 16:17
If they are going to use HiFly's AOC, presumably some negotiations needed with both the British and American authorities?
Do you really think they've given that a moment's thought?

TwinAisle
29th Sep 2023, 16:27
Ah aeropolitics. My favourite subject.

If they use an EU (say Maltese or Portuguese) AOC and registry, their chances of doing UK to the US (and indeed a whole load of other third countries) goes the way of the woozlum bird.

Let’s assume Malta. They can happily fly from anywhere in the EU to anywhere in the US (there’s an open skies agreement). They’ll need to get a foreign ops permit from the US but these are rarely unreasonably withheld.

What they can’t do - since Brexit - is to treat the UK as a stop or a base. If they use it as a stop - say MLA-LGW-EWR - that’s a fifth freedom route. And they are a no no with the UK and the EU since Brexit.

Also, if they based a Maltese registered aircraft in LGW and flew that to EWR (and going back to MLA now and again to blow the tyres up) then that’s a seventh freedom route. If you think they’ll have no chance of a fifth freedom, the chances of a seventh freedom post Brexit are about one billionth of that.

Does no one in these crazy projects ever do any research?

Just Plane Mad
29th Sep 2023, 21:19
Flypop still going with 1 X A333 which is operated by Smartlynx for them.

Guess what…. POP left Hi Fly because Hi-Fly were no good as a management AOC ‘Allegedly’

So Hi fly are the only airline in the world that flew the 380 outside of mainlines like LH BA QF SQ. They couldn’t make it work, handed it back! Next up, they manage one for Global, not that the 9H reg will give them the rights ex UK. Interestingly, Hi Fly own Jet Exchange in Cambridge and are applying to covert this from a B OL to an OL to give them access to the UK Market!

Do Global have purchase rights on this AOC as a back door for the 380 into the UK?

My personal view is the UK CAA don’t want any other UK operator other than BA of 380!

DaveReidUK
29th Sep 2023, 21:40
My personal view is the UK CAA don’t want any other UK operator other than BA of 380!

The CAA would be doing Global a favour if it refuses them a licence to operate the A380 between the UK and US ...

jackbequick
30th Sep 2023, 13:12
Ah aeropolitics. My favourite subject.

If they use an EU (say Maltese or Portuguese) AOC and registry, their chances of doing UK to the US (and indeed a whole load of other third countries) goes the way of the woozlum bird.

Let’s assume Malta. They can happily fly from anywhere in the EU to anywhere in the US (there’s an open skies agreement). They’ll need to get a foreign ops permit from the US but these are rarely unreasonably withheld.

What they can’t do - since Brexit - is to treat the UK as a stop or a base. If they use it as a stop - say MLA-LGW-EWR - that’s a fifth freedom route. And they are a no no with the UK and the EU since Brexit.

Also, if they based a Maltese registered aircraft in LGW and flew that to EWR (and going back to MLA now and again to blow the tyres up) then that’s a seventh freedom route. If you think they’ll have no chance of a fifth freedom, the chances of a seventh freedom post Brexit are about one billionth of that.

Does no one in these crazy projects ever do any research?

So where does that leave the new UK airline FLY4 Airlines, they plan to base 4 x 737s at EMA which are all EU registered?
and this is a jointed venture between TUI and Enter Air so I would like to think they have done their research.

toledoashley
30th Sep 2023, 14:56
So where does that leave the new UK airline FLY4 Airlines, they plan to base 4 x 737s at EMA which are all EU registered?
and this is a jointed venture between TUI and Enter Air so I would like to think they have done their research.

Essentially the same as Ryanair - so will be able to fly to EU, but not anywhere outside the EU (like Morocco, or Egypt).

SWBKCB
30th Sep 2023, 15:16

It leaves them unable to operate between the UK and USA without dispensations from both sides - same as HiFly. Are they a UK airline?

southamptonavgeek
30th Sep 2023, 17:06
It leaves them unable to operate between the UK and USA without dispensations from both sides - same as HiFly. Are they a UK airline?
They will be EI registered so very definitely not a UK airline!

Mr Jetlag
3rd Oct 2023, 12:30
I heard a rumour that Hi Fly were seeking a UK AOC, which (as others have pointed out) would be a basic requirement to be able to fly UK-US. (That, and a spare A380-capable gate in LGW, or a certifiable business class cabin, or... oh, never mind). So let's imagine a scenario where Hi Fly gets a UK AOC (either sets up a new one, or buys an existing one - either way, since they have actual aircraft-operating experience, it should be faster than the fantasy-flier crew attempting to do it themselves). Result is potentially a path to having an A380 on a UK AOC (once certified - shh, don't mention the C-class seats) and therefore able to fly to the US, subject to US foreign air carrier permit - but all this requires real money. The balloon continues to inflate but surely the pop (no pun intended) can't be far away?

5711N0205W
3rd Oct 2023, 19:52

Thread drift however I believe this is the replacement of Sunwing for Tui in 2024 summer schedule.

TwinAisle
4th Oct 2023, 09:24
Mr Jetlag I heard a rumour that Hi Fly were seeking a UK AOC

Their investor blurb claims that they already have an AOC and an OL - demonstrably a load of old cobblers, which tells anyone all they need to know about this train wreck.

Less Hair
4th Oct 2023, 09:53
Hi Fly is a solid company. Something that Global still has to prove. A parked for years A380 with the wrong cabin configuration, no administrative preparations for any serious airline business and permanent name-dropping do not add any credibility.

sangiovese.
4th Oct 2023, 11:53
Neither does any business model besides we’re going to do it better than the competition with old inefficient aircraft, old cabins no modern IFE, and no commercial experience. HiFly will simply advise and happily take the money

Flying Hi
4th Oct 2023, 12:25
Neither does any business model besides we’re going to do it better than the competition with old inefficient aircraft, old cabins no modern IFE, and no commercial experience. HiFly will simply advise and happily take the money
In advance if I were them.

Just Plane Mad
4th Oct 2023, 19:46
[/QUOTE] HiFly will simply advise and happily take the money[/QUOTE

This 100% - Hi Fly will just see Global as a bank..... The 380 cost Hi Fly, they know it will cost Global. I'd imagine some of invoices from Hi Fly to Global for 'Services rendered' will be eye watering! Mentioning eye watering, my humble opinion is that it will end in tears for Global with them.

GrimeySky
11th Oct 2023, 17:06
Latest summary of play from PaxEx...

Global Airlines taps Hi Fly for A380 maintenance and retrofit | PaxEx.Aero (https://paxex.aero/global-airlines-a380-hi-fly-partnership-retrofit/)

willy wombat
14th Oct 2023, 07:10
Quite a long article in The Times (magazine) today about Global. Didn’t do anything to make me less sceptical about the venture.

slast
14th Oct 2023, 09:39
Behind a paywall I think so here's the text.
When James Asquith was eight years old, he and his family flew from Gatwick to Orlando on a great big Virgin Atlantic 747. He was excited. He was, in fact, unable to remain in his seat. At some point early in the flight, he unclipped his belt, got up and asked if he could help the cabin crew on their rounds. This was not a common request, but the stewards and stewardesses decided to accommodate this oddly enthusiastic young boy, and so gave him various jobs to do. “I went up and down the plane helping them give out meals and stuff,” he remembers today. By the time they touched down in Florida, the crew were so impressed with his commitment that they all chipped in a few dollars by way of payment, then posed for a group photo with Asquith in the middle. What they perhaps hadn’t noticed was that he had also been helping himself to the cutlery. “I remember taking the little plastic forks and stuff off the plane and hoarding them,” he says, “and thinking, ‘I’ll keep these for when I have an airline one day.’ ”

This was not a sudden whim. Asquith was a child who had become fixated with the idea of running his own airline. “It was the ultimate ambition,” he says, without self-consciousness. He knew exactly what it would be called — “Global Airlines” — and he would absently jot these two words on his school books or turn them over and over in his mind, mouthing them like a mantra as he imagined all the different Global Airlines routes that would crisscross the planet, the Global Airlines livery, the Global Airlines uniforms and the Global Airlines planes themselves, sleek and huge and regal. It was a fantasy. But Asquith was a child, and that’s what childhood is for. At some point reality would hit, as it always eventually does, and he would put away childish things and move on.

Only this never quite happened. Instead, this summer — 26 years after the flight that saw him covertly hoarding cutlery — Asquith completed the purchase of four Airbus A380s, the largest passenger jets ever built. He did this because he has founded an airline, which he has called… well, you can probably guess what it is called. His A380s are, as we speak, being painted in red and gold Global Airlines livery, and from the middle of next year, he anticipates, we will be able to fly with Global on two initial routes: Gatwick to JFK in New York and Gatwick to Los Angeles. This simply represents the opening stage of Asquith’s ambitions. In time there will be more planes, more routes, more passengers. Global Airlines will establish itself in the consumer consciousness as the best way to fly — that indeed is its tagline — and herald a return to the glamour and comfort of a lost “golden age” of air travel. The check-in queues will be short, the glasses of champagne will be tall and the service will be as bright and enthusiastic as it was when he was eight and handing out the meals himself.

• New airlines take off on a wing and a prayer

This, at any rate, is the plan. But not everybody is as optimistic as Asquith. Dissenting voices from inside the world of travel and aviation are prone to pointing out that, for reasons we will shortly explore, cracking the airline industry is incredibly hard. And that Asquith, a 34-year-old from Stevenage with no prior experience of running a carrier, is perhaps not the person to disrupt long haul. Asquith doesn’t care. Or at least he says he doesn’t. “A lot of people have turned around and said, ‘This is bull****. This is not going to happen,’ ” he says. “There are some very loud mouths out there.”

How exactly do you launch an airline? And given the risks and uncertainty inherent in the undertaking, why would you launch one anyway? I’m with Asquith at a photographer’s studio in east London, hoping he can answer these questions and, along the way, explain how he intends to transform a childhood dream into a commercial reality. He is tall and slim, has a neatly trimmed black beard and is amiable, good-humoured company. What strikes you particularly, though, is a sincerity — an occasionally geeky sincerity — that goes beyond the soundbite. At one point, he gives an impassioned lecture on the two types of engines that you can fit on an Airbus A380. “And Rolls-Royce is by far the better,” he concludes emphatically, like someone in the pub arguing over football players. A little later he talks about the reams of paperwork it takes to get a plane airborne. “There are very few airline CEOs out there who will understand there’s any difference between a Part 21J and a Part 21G, all that regulatory stuff. A Part 145. Many of them, if you put them on the spot, wouldn’t understand,” he says, speaking faster and faster. “I really only have respect for a handful of CEOs in aviation.”

It may not come as a complete shock to learn that Asquith’s father was a professional pilot. His mother, a PA, was also a keen flyer — his parents met when his dad gave her flying lessons — and his fiancée, Robyn, is a former flight attendant. As a child, his father’s job loomed large in his imagination. He has a vivid memory of being with him in the staff room before a flight up to Edinburgh. “And it was strange, seeing this guy who was just my dad at home. But he was wearing his captain’s uniform, with his epaulettes, and I was like, wow, that’s my dad,” he says, frowning. “It was such a beaming sense of pride. He’s going to fly this machine. And all these people are in his hands.” When, at the age of 12, Asquith discovered that colourblindness would prevent him from being a pilot himself, he was bereft. “I was devastated. Absolutely devastated. I definitely cried.”

His parents sent Asquith and his sister to Haileybury, a private school in Hertfordshire. Though they were not poor, he says, this was still a financial struggle for them. “They did everything they could to keep us in school, taking out loans and stuff like that,” he says. “Other people’s parents would drive amazing cars, BMWs and Mercedes, and we were arriving in a banged-up Skoda.” At one point it seemed as though Asquith and his sister would have to leave the school. So Asquith went up and down offering to wash his neighbours’ cars for a fiver. “I came back with a glass jar with £120 and gave it to my mum. She was crying and said, ‘That’s not really going to do too much.’ ”

He managed to remain at Haileybury. At 15, he began to learn about the financial sector, about investment banking and careers in the City. “And I became kind of obsessed with wanting to do that for a job.” At school, though, his prospects looked bleak. “My mum was getting dragged into meetings with teachers who just saw that I barely did my homework and never contributed in class,” he says, explaining how he was predicted Ds and Fs for his GCSEs. “The outlook was like, ‘This guy is going to be a failure.’ ”

In the event, Asquith spent the run-up to his exams revising on his own and managed to achieve almost all A* results. The headmaster contacted his parents to congratulate them, “And my mum basically told him to go f*** himself,” he says. After A-levels he studied at the London School of Economics before moving into the City to work as an investment banker, first for HSBC, then Deutsche Bank.

As a university student he had caught the “travel bug” and spent months backpacking when he should have been in lectures. He was able to fund this travelling because, while still a student, he did well in stocks and shares. “I made quite a bit of money in the financial crisis of 2008/ 2009. When everyone thought the world was ending I thought, well, I’ll put my savings into buying bank stocks when they were at the lowest and weakest point. So I did all right from that,” he says cheerfully.

During his fledgling career in finance he continued to travel whenever possible. At one point, when he had visited more than 100 countries, a friend observed that he wasn’t that far off from having visited every country in the world. “And so I thought, well, I may as well do the rest of them,” he says. His motivation had genuinely nothing to do with achieving fame or recognition, he claims. Rather, it was simply the challenge of it. “I was just setting myself a big goal that seemed unrealistic, but which I thought I could get to.” So in 2013, at the age of 24, Asquith broke the Guinness world record as the youngest person to travel to all 196 sovereign nations when he arrived in Micronesia. “I remember people saying ‘Wow, that’s amazing. Congratulations.’ But I felt nothing. I thought, well, that’s done. What’s the next thing?”

The next thing was the creation of an app called Holiday Swap, which allows users to swap homes while they travel and which Asquith launched in 2017. The Holiday Swap Group is valued at £330 million and is based in Dubai, where Asquith now lives. Between his travels for pleasure and, more recently, business with Holiday Swap, he says he has flown on 284 different airlines. His Instagram account is basically lots of photos of him discussing the experience of each flight from an industry angle. He has more than one million followers, a fact he seems a little sheepish about. Most of his followers, he says, are probably just people who read about his Guinness world record and “can’t even remember why” they follow him now. He’d advise any ambitious young businessperson to avoid social media altogether. “Some of the garbage comments you see, like, ‘Why don’t you turn your life into an NFT and then you’ll be a trillionaire.’ I think it’s unhealthy,” he says. “I’ve only done one paid post in my life. I’m definitely not an influencer. But hopefully I’m influential in my lane, which is travel and aviation.”

But what Asquith has come to believe, over the course of the countless long-haul flights he has experienced, is that air travel has become an ever more joyless experience. “For the past 20 years everybody has done the same thing, which is have this race to the bottom on price,” he says. “And that’s largely why the quality has continued to reduce. Perks get taken away. You see the US carriers now and their loyalty programmes just get stripped. Year after year it gets worse and worse. Because everyone is drinking the same Kool-Aid. Whereas no one has turned around and said, for every cabin, in every class, we are making the product better while also remaining price competitive.”

This, basically, is Asquith’s whole pitch: Global Airlines will be better than everybody else because they won’t skimp on the things that make flying fun — their A380s will have “communal areas”, first-class passengers will be chauffeured direct to the airport from their homes, they already have a partnership with Laurent-Perrier champagne — but their tickets won’t cost much more than those of their competitors. When Asquith talks about this he is genuinely, if quietly, impassioned. It’s almost as if he is, in his own mind, tackling a moral issue. Which is to say, the general crappiness of long-haul travel and the cynicism of the airline industry as a whole. On more than one occasion he insists he is “not money-driven” and you believe him, not least because airlines are notoriously difficult to make money out of.

But why? Well, for a start, airlines can be fragile, finely tuned things. They are incredibly sensitive to economic flux. They are vulnerable to lots of unpredictable events, from volcanic eruptions to pandemics to terrorism. Getting started is a nightmare of paperwork and, should you start doing well as a new player, established airlines are more than happy to smother you in the cradle by flooding your routes with heavily discounted seats. Plus, you need planes, which are expensive. Asquith recites the old Richard Branson quote: “If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline.”

Although actually, he admits, getting the planes isn’t quite as expensive as that. “I used to think you’d need billions. But no. It’s significantly less.”

OK, so, how much exactly then?
“In terms of a number, I’ll just say it’s less than people will think. I’m not going to get into commercial specifics,” he says, but explains that rather than leasing its fleet of four A380s, Global Airlines has bought them outright, and without having to borrow money to do so. It seemed that, thanks to Covid and the resulting huge fall in global passenger numbers, many carriers turned their backs on the double-decker A380s and instead shifted to smaller, more fuel-efficient airliners for their long-haul needs. The result was that many A380s ended up mothballed and out of demand. Which, without wanting to oversimplify things, means that if you want to buy some on the cheap, now is a good time, especially given that global air passenger numbers for this year are expected to hit 4.35 billion, close to the pre-Covid 2019 figure of 4.54 billion flyers. The fact that A380s are massive means that, if you don’t get greedy and cram them with as many seats as they’ll take, they are comfortable. “It’s a phenomenal way to fly,” says Asquith, emphasising each word by tapping his finger on the coffee table between us. “There’s not a passenger out there who says an A380’s not great, if it’s [configured] in the right way.”

There is also, he suggests, an environmental benefit to buying a fleet of superjumbo airliners, in the sense that they’re second-hand and he’s potentially getting another “10 or 15 years out of them. Someone might take the view that, ‘Oh, it’s a gas guzzler with four engines.’ Well, it’s not if you put it on the right route. Not if you fill it to capacity. It’s one of the most efficient planes for the environment.” He says he doesn’t know how many flights he’s taken in his life. “People will say, ‘You’ve flown a lot. What about the environmental footprint?’ I could turn around and answer that, on the flipside, I’ve never once in my life owned a car. But I try not to do that.”

Though Asquith says he’s not money-driven, presumably his investors are. So if the food and service and perks and space on Global Airlines flights are going to be better than all the competition but the price is comparable, then how exactly does he hope to make money? The plan is that by launching an airline that passengers genuinely love, Global Airlines will set itself apart as a brand. “And the main thing in aviation that no airline really has is a brand,” he says. By which he means, with so many airlines competing on price rather than quality, carriers have become an indistinguishable blob in the minds of most travellers. This, however, opens a gap. And if he can establish Global Airlines as something that stands distinctly above the competition in the hearts and minds of jaded travellers, then long-term this will be more valuable than short-term margin-squeezing. Because if you have a brand that passengers value, then the next time things get difficult for the industry as a whole — the next volcanic eruption, the next global contagion — you’ll be far better positioned to cope. “From our point of view, if you have a brand and are doing stuff the right way, that’s one of the things that can support you when the going gets tough.”

In a sense, the Global Airlines brand already has value. Last year, Asquith says, somebody offered to buy the company from him for a sum he first tells me, then changes his mind about putting on the record, but which we can safely describe as many, many millions of pounds. “I could have taken the money and be sitting on an island now,” he says. Instead, he’s “working 7 days a week, doing 18, 20-hour days” to make Global Airlines real.

The worry, prior to meeting him, or when hearing him talk about his childhood obsession with this airline, was that it would turn out that Global was just a plaything: a very expensive train set for a young man who never quite got over his early love of airliners. After an hour or so with Asquith it’s clear thatis not the case. I ask him if he felt a trill of excitement when he woke up and remembered that he had just bought four Airbus A380s. He shakes his head.

“Honestly, no. It’s the boring side of me that’s head down, working. I remember when I saw our first aircraft with ‘Global Airlines’ on the side and thinking, ‘Looks a bit small,’ ” he says, scrunching his face in mild disappointment. “I didn’t even take a moment to think, ‘Wow!’ I just thought, ‘What do I need to do now? What do I need to do to get this in the sky?’ And it’s probably a problem of mine. I should enjoy the moment a bit more. But if I went out for drinks and dinner with friends, I’d just be replying to emails and thinking about what I need to do right now. And it’s not necessarily the healthiest thing to do, but we’ve got something that we’re working towards. And if we stopped, we’d end up on the scrapheap of airlines that haven’t worked.”

I ask if he’ll at least allow himself to relax with a glass of champagne as he looks out the window of the first Global Airlines flight. Again, no. “Absolutely not. And there’ll be no glass of champagne. I’ll be working on that flight,” he says, possibly as cabin crew, just like he did when he was eight and going to Orlando. “Why would I take a seat that a passenger could have?” he asks. His dad, he says, is very excited about everything and keeps coming up with suggestions. “Every time I see him, he has a list of ideas. And obviously we’ve got them all on the agenda already. But I really appreciate it. It’s really sweet of him.”
In fact, his mum and dad still loom large in his thoughts. He has faced a lot of criticism and derision online and even in the aviation media. “But I couldn’t care less about impressing strangers on the internet.” What does bother him is when his parents politely inquire when everything might be ready to go. “And it hurts when even my mum and dad are saying, ‘When are you flying?’ And we have a good idea. But I don’t want to say it yet,” he says, meaning he won’t confirm a specific date and time beyond mid-2024. “And that’s what I want. More than anything, I want to make my parents proud. And then maybe I can smile and celebrate.”

GrimeySky
14th Oct 2023, 09:45
Yeah, The Times story followed the standard happy-clappy 'we can all grow up to be Richard Branson if we just follow our dreams' format - but utterly failed to address fundamentals of finance (short and long term) and qualifying to fly in the first place. Writer also seemed to have accepted the Asquith line that 4x A380s have been bought. Recent stories suggest more 'terms agreed'. I see he's no longer referring to 'spring 2024' however, and now says 'middle'. Which still seems pretty unlikely.

ATNotts
14th Oct 2023, 09:47
Oh dear!

Does the author of that piece fancy themselves as a 21st century Hans Christian Andersen?

sangiovese.
14th Oct 2023, 09:48
And he seems to think the aircraft will always fly full.from Gatwick. On a wet Tuesday in February. Marketing spin without economics lesson one

SOPS
14th Oct 2023, 10:12
I want some of what he is taking.

PAXboy
14th Oct 2023, 10:55
I love this quote from Asquith:
“There are some very loud mouths out there.”
So true ....

meleagertoo
14th Oct 2023, 11:43
I got the impression the aircraft were to be on the Maltese register. Is this correct or just more smoke and mirrors?

Do they actually own any aircraft? If so where are they, and in what condition?

slast
14th Oct 2023, 14:02
I've put the following comments on the Times page..."This the second unquestioning Times “puff piece” about Global Airways in less than 10 weeks. Just as well Ben Machell doesn’t call himself an investigative reporter!

Global Airways appears to have actually acquired the use of ONE aircraft (not four), which is on the ground at Lourdes having not flown for several years. Apart having no route licences, among countless unanswered technical questions, a simple one is how he actually expects to operate next year from Gatwick: this has only one gate for A380s, leased to Emirates. Will the reality be passengers standing in the terminal waiting for buses, followed by a climb up some very long steps in the wind and rain for the passengers, rather than “the best way to fly —a return to the glamour and comfort of a lost “golden age” of air travel”?

From a consumer interest viewpoint Ben Machell might have looked more closely at the other Asquith business, which is backing the airline: “Holiday Swap”. Machell seems to have simply regurgitated that Holiday Swap Group is “valued at £330 million” and “based in Dubai, where Asquith now lives”. But Its website appears to have neither street or email address nor a phone number - things that consumer correspondents typically advise readers to be wary of!

“Holiday Swap Group Limited” is actually registered as a UK company of which Asquith is CEO, and resident in England. Of its other 2 directors, a recent (March 2023) appointment has the same name and nationality as the “Runaway CEO behind failed ticketing company who owes $3.8m” to the Bank of New Zealand, who lost his appeal against this judgement, also in March 2023. The other and even more recent director seems to be part of the wealthy Essex family behind the Onlyfans sex worker website.

While that is all well and good, one might wonder whether it is really an operation which can support the challenges of setting up an international airline, with all the public interest that involves. HolidaySwap claims to have 1 million “active users” in 2022, 5 years after it was launched in 2017. But strangely, since then it has received only 57 Trustpilot reviews, starting from only a year ago. 93% are 5 star, but many have the characteristics of fake reviews.

By comparison, its direct competitor Homeexchange started in 1992. After over 30 years it claims 100k users – but a mere tenth of Holidayswap – but has 5100 Trustpilot reviews – a hundred times more. Of these, 88% are 4 or 5 star. Another competitor, Lovehomeswap, started in 2009, claims only 10k users, but has 1800 Trustpilot reviews of which 83% are 4 or 5 star.

All of which makes one wonder whether Ben Machell has unquestioningly simply swallowed Mr. Asquith’s statements about his vaulting ambitions - just as many journalists and investors swallowed the ludicrous statements and outright lies of Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos), Sam Bankman-Fried (FTX) and Adam Neuman (Wework). Come on, Ben – do some journalism! "

GrimeySky
14th Oct 2023, 14:37
I've put the following comments on the Times page..."This the second unquestioning Times “puff piece” about Global Airways in less than 10 weeks. Just as well Ben Machell doesn’t call himself an investigative reporter!

Global Airways appears to have actually acquired the use of ONE aircraft (not four), which is on the ground at Lourdes having not flown for several years. Apart having no route licences, among countless unanswered technical questions, a simple one is how he actually expects to operate next year from Gatwick: this has only one gate for A380s, leased to Emirates. Will the reality be passengers standing in the terminal waiting for buses, followed by a climb up some very long steps in the wind and rain for the passengers, rather than “the best way to fly —a return to the glamour and comfort of a lost “golden age” of air travel”?

From a consumer interest viewpoint Ben Machell might have looked more closely at the other Asquith business, which is backing the airline: “Holiday Swap”. Machell seems to have simply regurgitated that Holiday Swap Group is “valued at £330 million” and “based in Dubai, where Asquith now lives”. But Its website appears to have neither street or email address nor a phone number - things that consumer correspondents typically advise readers to be wary of!

“Holiday Swap Group Limited” is actually registered as a UK company of which Asquith is CEO, and resident in England. Of its other 2 directors, a recent (March 2023) appointment has the same name and nationality as the “Runaway CEO behind failed ticketing company who owes $3.8m” to the Bank of New Zealand, who lost his appeal against this judgement, also in March 2023. The other and even more recent director seems to be part of the wealthy Essex family behind the Onlyfans sex worker website.

While that is all well and good, one might wonder whether it is really an operation which can support the challenges of setting up an international airline, with all the public interest that involves. HolidaySwap claims to have 1 million “active users” in 2022, 5 years after it was launched in 2017. But strangely, since then it has received only 57 Trustpilot reviews, starting from only a year ago. 93% are 5 star, but many have the characteristics of fake reviews.

By comparison, its direct competitor Homeexchange started in 1992. After over 30 years it claims 100k users – but a mere tenth of Holidayswap – but has 5100 Trustpilot reviews – a hundred times more. Of these, 88% are 4 or 5 star. Another competitor, Lovehomeswap, started in 2009, claims only 10k users, but has 1800 Trustpilot reviews of which 83% are 4 or 5 star.

All of which makes one wonder whether Ben Machell has unquestioningly simply swallowed Mr. Asquith’s statements about his vaulting ambitions - just as many journalists and investors swallowed the ludicrous statements and outright lies of Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos), Sam Bankman-Fried (FTX) and Adam Neuman (Wework). Come on, Ben – do some journalism! "

Excellent observations on HolidaySwap! Pretty pathetic that Ben Machell's own research was so very shallow. The Times used to be a paper of record. No longer it seems.

DaveReidUK
14th Oct 2023, 15:00
Oh dear!

Does the author of that piece fancy themselves as a 21st century Hans Christian Andersen?

I think Grimm might be a more appropriate description of his future prospects. :O

GROUNDHOG
14th Oct 2023, 16:00
I think Greimm might be a more appropriate description of his future prospects. :O
​​​​​​A clear case of journalism at its frothiest, no substance there at all.
​​​​​​If I read one more time the " To make a small fortune" quote attributed to Richard Branson I will scream, that quote is old and has been attributed to so many people and industries over the years.
Best thing Mr Asquith could have done was take the millions offered for Global.
Never say never but I am just off to "Fight them on the beaches' just remember my quote
​​​​

GrimeySky
14th Oct 2023, 16:06
​​​​​​A clear case of journalism at its frothiest, no substance there at all.
​​​​​​If I read one more time the " To make a small fortune" quote attributed to Richard Branson I will scream, that quote is old and has been attributed to so many people and industries over the years.
Best thing Mr Asquith could have done was take the millions offered for Global.
Never say never but I am just off to "Fight them on the beaches' just remember my quote
​​​​

The joke/quote from Branson is like the anecdote about the 'joke' told at the start of airline industry conferences. Its purpose? To determine and pinpoint who among the audience is a 'newcomer' to the industry. They will be the ONLY ones who laugh.

willy wombat
14th Oct 2023, 16:10
I am just curious about the point that has been raised a number of times re LGW having only one A380 gate. When EK initially introduced the A380 to Gatwick it used a dedicated gate in the North Terminal satellite (over the bridge) which had air bridge access to both the upper and lower deck. A while back (a couple of years?) EK switched to a “new” A380 gate in the main body of the North Terminal. However, is their original A380 gate on the satellite no longer suitable for A380s? Please could a LGW expert advise.

TwinAisle
14th Oct 2023, 16:39
I am just curious about the point that has been raised a number of times re LGW having only one A380 gate. When EK initially introduced the A380 to Gatwick it used a dedicated gate in the North Terminal satellite (over the bridge) which had air bridge access to both the upper and lower deck. A while back (a couple of years?) EK switched to a “new” A380 gate in the main body of the North Terminal. However, is their original A380 gate on the satellite no longer suitable for A380s? Please could a LGW expert advise.

I think a number of people who know these things have posted that the remote A380 gate over the bridge has gone the way of all flesh, but I will bow to their excellent wisdom if I have misquoted them.

Apron Artist
14th Oct 2023, 16:51

When it first came it used Pier 4 - stand 51 I think. I can't remember the air bridge/steps arrangement but both were used. Subsequently, it moved to Pier 6 - stand 110 which had air bridge access to both upper and lower decks. It's now on Pier 5 - stand 558. Stand 51 could still easily accommodate an A380, but wouldn't have air bridge access to both levels.
-
When Hi-Fly brought their A380 in, it was generally stuck out on the remote 170 stands lots of coaches/steps involved. Messy.

Sotonsean
14th Oct 2023, 17:51

The reason for the A380 gate to be moved from Pier 6 to Pier 5 is obvious.

Pier 6 is going to be extended to accommodate more narrow body gates. As part of the plans the A380 gate was relocated to Pier 5.

The associated taxiways were also realigned to allow for the extension.

The area at the end of Pier 6 where the A380 gate was situated is closed off for prepreparatory works.

The original plan was for the extension to be completed by 2021 but construction was halted due to the pandemic.

Final construction of the extension to Pier 6 is due to commence in Q2 2024.

Absolutely loads of diagrams and images and information online as well as on the official London Gatwick Airport website and it's Master Plan.

It's so easy to keep upto date without relying on the likes of sites such as pprune 👍

Flying Hi
14th Oct 2023, 17:54

Pier 6 is going to be extended to accommodate more narrow body gates. As part of the plans the A380 gate was relocated to Pier 5.

The area at the end of Pier 6 where the A380 gate was situated is closed off for prepreparatory works.

The original plan was for the extension to be completed by 2021 but construction was halted due to the pandemic.

Absolutely loads of diagrams and images and information online as well as on the official London Gatwick Airport website and it's Master Plan.

It's so easy to keep upto date without relying on the likes of sites such as pprune 👍
Blimey! That's telling you!:\

Apron Artist
14th Oct 2023, 18:01

All very well and true, but stand 51 can still accommodate. Off-topic, but the Pier 6 extension - as a ground handler - is far from ideal.

willy wombat
14th Oct 2023, 18:21
Sorry, Sotonsean, but you seem to be confusing me with someone who is sufficiently interested to delve into the Gatwick master plan. There is a somewhat less polite way of putting that but I’m a gentleman.

Sotonsean
14th Oct 2023, 18:37
Blimey! That's telling you!:\

In that case, job done 👍

Sotonsean
14th Oct 2023, 18:43
Sorry, Sotonsean, but you seem to be confusing me with someone who is sufficiently interested to delve into the Gatwick master plan. There is a somewhat less polite way of putting that but I’m a gentleman.

My response was made in an articulate manner, very matter of fact as well as being polite at the same time.

Why your offended by that is beyond me.

"But I'm a gentleman." What type of comment is that. It's a very "old school" comment, especially for 2023.

Asturias56
15th Oct 2023, 04:09
having read the puff piece in the Times magazine the reporter is totally fascinated by the "human angle" of the promoter and dismisses the many and accurate queries raised on here and other places as "lots of paperwork".

Given the lead time for magazine stories they clearly interviewed him some time ago

He's living in dream land for sure

DP.
17th Oct 2023, 12:44
As bad as that Times piece is, it's also quite telling. Asquith comes across as little more than a spotter with a dream. Nothing wrong with having dreams but they're very different to reality. Anyone can parrot lines about putting A380s on 'demand heavy sectors' allowing them to provide a luxury experience for the same price as you'd pay on a legacy airline. Explaining the economics of how that works is an entirely different matter. Does anyone watch this and find themselves at all convinced by him? https://x.com/james_asquith/status/1713556193061265619?s=20

These constant puff pieces, appearing at Routes World, etc are all well and good, but they remain unable or unwilling to answer the difficult questions that are asked of them about the viability of getting this airline up and running.

PAXboy
17th Oct 2023, 14:41
I do enjoy watching this game, a time to kick back and relax. In his interview (no hard questions from Business Traveller USA) when asked how he can launch with this when experienced carriers are sidelinging it, he replies:
Quite frankly speaking - they're wrong. I don't think that a lot of the big airlines actually know what they are doing and that sounds awfully confident to say in many ways.
No excrement Sherlock ... :rolleyes: That comment makes the 'interviewer' laugh. Gosh what fun we are having. Asquith continues:
But the reality is that no one really knows what price they paid, including so called experts.
So, EK, LH, BA and others do not know what they paid for their aircraft? Those massive companies with hundreds of lawyers signed contracts where the value was not stated and their hundreds of accounts and head of finance did not know to the last CENT what each aircraft cost? Yes, so true. He was fortunate that the 'interviewer' seemed to only have pre-listed questions and did not chase him up.

Asquith continued but I will not. But I do reccomend this cosy chat for a good laugh.

southamptonavgeek
17th Oct 2023, 16:01
He's also been said to be "based" in either Dubai or London, depending on your choice of publication. Perhaps it would also help him to work out where exactly he lives, before he tries to start an airline?

slast
17th Oct 2023, 16:57
A bit more research into Asquith's other business “Holiday Swap Group Limited” to amplify what I said on the Times article BTL.
Compared to its direct competitors it claims to have grown much faster without leaving any visible traces in consumer records. E.g. the claim on his website is that since starting in 2017 it has 250k "active users" at the beginning of 2020, 500k 2021, 1m+ 2022 and 10m+ projected Q4 2023. This is astonishingly faster than direct competitors like Homeexchange, started 1992 now claims 100k users . HHS claims 10 tiomes as many after only 5 years. Lovehomeswap (LHS), started in 2009, claims only 10k users. HHS doesn't have any "real world" contact information on its website but is registered as a UK company. "Customer reviews" give some clues as to what is is happening - Homeexchange (claimed 100k users) has about 5100 reviews on Trustpilot, of which 88% are 4 or 5 star. The smaller LHS has 1800 of which 83% are 4 or 5 star. With its "I million plus" in 2022. HHS itself has a grand total of 57 (fifty seven) from its million plus users, of which 54 are 5 star, the other three are 1 or 2 - no 3 or 4 - and NONE earlier than 14 September 2022, when there's a pattern of several of the same generic "praise" on the same day, all from Turkish name users and looking like bot-generated text.

The holidayhomeswap Android app shows "500k+ downloads" which is probably where the only justification for the claimed active users numbers) and has the same pattern. Few prior to autumn 2022 - mostly a mix of fake-looking 5 and genuine 1 stars. Then from September 2022 a flurry of 5 stars, for example 38 5 stars from Turkish names on a single day!

There's then very little recent comment: last 6 months it was mostly 1 star, one in August had the comment "A clunky Airbnb type app for renting, not house swapping. Appears to be nearly abandoned as well. App was last updated almost 1 yr ago."
The Apple app reviews is similar, again not updated for a year.

On the website I didn't find one property that did not show 100% availability in the future. Descriptions are generic and certainly don't look as if they'd been posted by genuine owners. Strangely, a huge number seem to have been put up by "Kevin", who joined in February 2023! For example, London flats with an address of "Romford, Birlesik Krallik" - which is Turkish for United Kingdom! So it looks to me like HHS was a very unsuccessful startup by Asquith in Turkey in 2017, which was been revived with a load of fake data scraped from other websites last winter, to provide cover as the Global Airlines backer.

The board of HHS was changed a few months ago and now consists of Asquith, Tom Stokely -see Essex family behind OnlyFans profit from pornography boom | Pornography | The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/may/24/essex-family-behind-onlyfans-profit-from-pornography-boom) and Matt Davey - see Runaway CEO behind failed ticketing company who owes $3.8m loses appeal | Stuff.co.nz (https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/131650943/runaway-ceo-behind-failed-ticketing-company-who-owes-38m-loses-appeal)

Sirens, red lights......

sangiovese.
17th Oct 2023, 17:09
When it goes belly up he’ll just blame the establishment against him blah blah rather than his absolute inability to understand basic airline economics

cavokblues
17th Oct 2023, 19:50
Holiday Swap's accounts at companies house are interesting. Over £15m in assets yet they don't file audited accounts and have only 4 employees? Doesn't seem right.

TartinTon
17th Oct 2023, 20:23
I'm actually enjoying watching this muppet bluff his way through interview after interview. Much as I dislike him, I'd love Piers Morgan to take an interest and get Asquith on his show and absolutely murder him. Now that would be fun to watch.

Flying Hi
17th Oct 2023, 20:26
I'm actually enjoying watching this muppet bluff his way through interview after interview. Much as I dislike him, I'd love Piers Morgan to take an interest and get Asquith on his show and absolutely murder him. Now that would be fun to watch.
I'm sure Asquith would never put himself in that position. So many lazy journos to bamboozle.

GrimeySky
18th Oct 2023, 18:08
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/604x698/global2_e65ea9b4b116cc6161729c3130ea0497db23d069.png

Poor old Liam just doesn't get it does he?!

Prove me wrong, but Hi Fly doesn't sound like a partner in the true sense of the word - it's a SUPPLIER.

Hi Fly failed to make a go of its own A380 operations - so now it's going to be paid by Global. Hi Fly must surely know just how unlikely Global is to succeed. But as long as the invoices get paid, what do they care? It's not their problem anymore.

And when they strutted on stage for the graveyard 0800 slot at Routes Online, Globals two PR chaps could only name two other partners --- American Express, and Laurent Perrier champagne. Let's reflect on that...

Amex are prepared to handle card payments for Global (IF Global ever get as far as flying!) in exactly the same way that Amex would handle a bangle seller on Etsy. It's not exactly a ringing commercial endorsement!

As for Laurent Perrier - wasn't that the champagne they were serving on the Titanic on its maiden voyage?

DaveReidUK
18th Oct 2023, 19:04
And as for Laurent Perrier - wasn't that the champagne they were serving on the Titanic on its maiden voyage?

Very appropriate - I'm sure I read somewhere that when the unapproved J-class seats are ripped out, they're going to be replaced by deckchairs ...

jmdavies86
20th Oct 2023, 12:29
The first aircraft, which will be registered 9H-GLOBL, will be put on wet-lease provider Hi Fly’s Maltese air operator’s certificate (AOC) and ferried from the U.S. to Portugal “over the coming weeks” for refurbishment.

Source: https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/airlines-lessors/global-airlines-lookout-more-airbus-a380s

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought their first aircraft was located at Lourdes, which is in Europe, so why would they be ferrying it from USA to Portugal...?!

southamptonavgeek
20th Oct 2023, 13:41
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought their first aircraft was located at Lourdes, which is in Europe, so why would they be ferrying it from USA to Portugal...?!
3 frames have been acquired ex China Southern which are currently stored at MHV. If anything Global say can be taken as fact, which is unlikely.

DaveReidUK
20th Oct 2023, 13:45

Global made a reference to the aircraft coming from the US in a press release 3 weeks ago:

Global Airlines to contract Hi Fly to accelerate A380 Entry into Service Programme (https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-airlines-to-contract-hi-fly-to-accelerate-a380-entry-into-service-programme-301941536.html)

accompanied by a photo of the aircraft in situ at Lourdes. :ugh:

Flying Hi
20th Oct 2023, 14:02
Quick aside - Apolgies if this is common knowledge but what REG ETC is/was that Lourdes A380?

Sotonsean
20th Oct 2023, 15:14
Quick aside - Apolgies if this is common knowledge but what REG ETC is/was that Lourdes A380?

A VERY quick search online (available to anyone) comes up as 9H-MIP, formerly operated by Hi-Fly Malta. Originally entering service with Singapore Airlines as 9V-SKC on the 11/03/08. It was the sixth A380 off the production line when it was delivered to it's original operator Singapore Airlines.

Withdrawn from use with Singapore Airlines on the 06 November 2017 it was eventually sold to Doric Aviation and re-registered as D-DSKC.

Hi Fly Malta acquired the aircraft on the 04/07/18 and it was re-registered as PH-MIP. It has remained at Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrenees-Airport ever since, and to be totally honest and most would agree that it will probably remain there until it's finally dismantled.

slast
20th Oct 2023, 15:47
sotonsean, which site did you use to get that history please?

Apron Artist
20th Oct 2023, 17:05
sotonsean, which site did you use to get that history please?

9H MIP. Saw it a few tims at LGW.

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/airbus-a380-800-9h-mip-hi-fly-malta/ek8yve

Sotonsean
20th Oct 2023, 17:06
sotonsean, which site did you use to get that history, please?

I picked up the information from various sources after making a VERY QUICK search online.

I can't remember the exact websites that I used, but one in particular was www.airfleets.net

You do realise that all you have to do is type the aircraft's registration into your browser and choose from the various sources of information. Honestly, it's that EASY 😉

I'm not being facetious, but searching for your own information online is much easier and far more rewarding than having to wait for a lengthy response from someone on pprune.

Apron Artist
20th Oct 2023, 17:11
I picked up the information from various sources after making a VERY QUICK search online.

I can't remember the exact websites that I used, but one in particular was www.airfleets.net

You do realise that all you have to do is type the aircraft's registration into your browser and choose from the various sources of information. Honestly, it's that EASY 😉

I'm not being facetious, but searching for your own information online is much easier and far more rewarding than having to wait for a lengthy response from someone on pprune.

It's even easier if you type in the correct registration....

Sotonsean
20th Oct 2023, 17:19
It's even easier if you type in the correct registration....

Thanks for adding that useful piece of information but I guess that goes without saying 🤷

But my first attempt wasn't the registration as I couldn't think of it at the time of my search. A VERY quick search under "Global Airlines Airbus A380" took me exactly to where I wanted.

Am I really using my time to make this comment, I need to stay away from here 😳

Apron Artist
20th Oct 2023, 17:58
Thanks for adding that useful piece of information but I guess that goes without saying 🤷

But my first attempt wasn't the registration as I couldn't think of it at the time of my search. A VERY quick search under "Global Airlines Airbus A380" took me exactly to where I wanted.

Am I really using my time to make this comment, I need to stay away from here 😳

It IS actually possible to impart some information without denigrating those that ask it. Not everyone has time/resources to find the answers to some questions that pop up on here. I find it easier just to answer them, rather than lecture on how to use the interweb to find it. A VERY quick reflection of the content of this site will reveal as much.

And stand 51 at LGW remains available for an A380, if not ideal. Not that there is any chance of Global Airlines ever using it.

Sotonsean
20th Oct 2023, 18:54
Thanks for your lecture. It's not really appreciated, but nonetheless you decided on your part to try and give me one.

Gate 51, being the only specified A380 capable gate at LGW, is used as you know by Emirates for the best part of the day.

With Emirates currently having three daily A380 flights into LGW, I can't imagine Pier 51 being available to any other possible A380 operator, especially the likes of Global Airlines.

The planned routes for Global Airlines were for transatlantic. The timings of any possible transatlantic routes by Global Airlines would more or less coincide with those from Emirates arriving from Dubai. Gate 51 would therefore be occupied by Emirates.

For operational reasons and for those reasons that I have stated, I don't see Gate 51 at LGW North Terminal being available.

But then again it's not going to be an issue as it's fairly certain that Global Airlines won't even get to that stage.

Apron Artist
20th Oct 2023, 19:19
Thanks for your lecture. It's not really appreciated, but nonetheless you decided on your part to try and give me one.

Gate 51, being the only specified A380 capable gate at LGW, is used as you know by Emirates for the best part of the day.

With Emirates currently having three daily A380 flights into LGW, I can't imagine Pier 51 being available to any other possible A380 operator, especially the likes of Global Airlines.

The planned routes for Global Airlines were for transatlantic. The timings of any possible transatlantic routes by Global Airlines would more or less coincide with those from Emirates arriving from Dubai. Gate 51 would therefore be occupied by Emirates.

For operational reasons and for those reasons that I have stated, I don't see Gate 51 at LGW North Terminal being available.

But then again it's not going to be an issue as it's fairly certain that Global Airlines won't even get to that stage.

Emirates uses 558, not 51. It was outside my crew room 3 times a day. Can't really miss it - big old thing that blocks the daylight out. More often than not 51L and 51R have a couple of easyJets on them. Occasional Westjet or Delta on 51M. Once the final Emirates leaves in the evening, 557 and 559 receive overnighting easyJets.

51 still remains available for any A380 service - just means shuffling few easyJets about mainly. Certainly won't be Global Airlines, doubt it will be any other A380 operator, for that matter.

Sotonsean
20th Oct 2023, 19:32
Emirates uses 558, not 51. It was outside my crew room 3 times a day. Can't really miss it - big old thing that blocks the daylight out. More often than not 51L and 51R have a couple of easyJets on them. Occasional Westjet or Delta on 51M. Once the final Emirates leaves in the evening, 557 and 559 receive overnighting easyJets.

51 still remains available for any A380 service - just means shuffling few easyJets about mainly. Certainly won't be Global Airlines, doubt it will be any other A380 operator, for that matter.

Stand 558, Gate 51 same same isn't it.

Obviously easyjet use the gate overnight as there would be no Emirates at the gate during that period.

Obviously the stands are flexible to accommodate two Airbus A320 aircraft at anytime. Most stands at LGW are flexible as you are more than likely aware off.

Obviously there are gaps between the Emirates A380 flights which can easily accommodate an EasyJet or even a B787. But they are not really long enough to accommodate another A380 operator to use the gate.

Obviously, this won't affect the operations of Emirates at LGW as it's quite obvious that there won't be another A380 operator in the near future using the airport.

pabely
20th Oct 2023, 19:59
So where does that leave Global, Gate 13 at STN, oh hang on, doesn't Emirates use that and they eventually want to have x4 A380s!

Sotonsean
20th Oct 2023, 20:10
So where does that leave Global, Gate 13 at STN, oh hang on, doesn't Emirates use that and they eventually want to have x4 A380s!

Emirates haven't even got to the point where they are operating three daily Boeing 777-300ER flights into STN. As much as I appreciate your enthusiasm but are you not getting ahead of yourself by suggesting that Emirates eventually want to have x4 daily A380s into STN.

I accept the fact that your comment might be meant as being humourous but in case it wasn't I have a question for you just in case you were actually being serious.

"Can I have some of what your taking as it's obviously stronger than my own personal use".

pabely
20th Oct 2023, 20:41
Not enthusiasm, it's Global who eventually want x4 A380 in use, but based where?
Obviously only Emirates will know the figures on whether one of their current x2 daily 777 to STN is worth upgrading to a A380 vs x3 daily 777, either way they use the only A380 capable airbridge at STN and unlikely to move.

Sotonsean
20th Oct 2023, 20:54
Not enthusiasm, it's Global who eventually want x4 A380 in use, but based where?
Obviously only Emirates will know the figures on whether one of their current x2 daily 777 to STN is worth upgrading to a A380 vs x3 daily 777, either way they use the only A380 capable airbridge at STN and unlikely to move.

So when you mentioned "they," you were actually referring to Global and their intended fleet of four Airbus A380s. Rather than suggesting Emirates eventually operating x4 daily A380 flights into STN.

I understand what you actually meant now, but hey, "I still want what you're using." 🤗

But come on, these sort of topics and questions are irrelevant really as we all know that there will be no great outcome from all of this. I give the guy credit, though, for his enthusiasm, but if this operation actually starts, I'll be totally shocked. I can assure you.

Oh, perhaps I should be asking Mr. Asquith if I can have some of what's he's using, he looks the type 🤔

lighterthief
21st Oct 2023, 16:17
Is interesting that most of Global's recent new hires haven't updated (or have they deleted?) their LinkedIn profiles to include their appointments to Global.

eg, Kevin Billings, Pierre Madrange, Emma Henderson, Jacqueline Sutton etc.

Is Global struggling to retain talent?

It does appear that there are some new appointments though, including a chap called Liazad Benkoussa who was previously SVP of Procurement and Logistics at QR, and Brian Glazer who was on the Board of Directors of a South African airline called Lift and once worked at JetBlue. There are also one or two non executive director types listing Global on their LinkedIn profiles. Most of the rest of the Global team seem to work at that well renowned travel company, Holidayswap, and seem to do two jobs!

The recruitment at Global continues to baffle me!

slast
24th Oct 2023, 14:15
Just out of curiosity, I looked at Emma Henderson's linkedin page - it contains lots of activity references but just one solitary reference to Global - her initial appointment 4 months ago.

Sygyzy
24th Oct 2023, 19:58
A gift that just keeps on giving.
:bored:

GrimeySky
26th Oct 2023, 08:51
A few snippets of information on Global's alleged plans:

Sitting Down with Global Airlines: A380, Economics & Scepticism (aviationsourcenews.com) (https://aviationsourcenews.com/analysis/sitting-down-with-global-airlines-a380-economics-scepticism/)

Author James Field (QUOTE: 'a passionate AvGeek based in Manchester, U.K, who has been actively spotting for years') doesn't do much to pin Global down and have them corroborate their many wild claims, but he's perhaps gone a little further than the dreadful Times article a fortnight ago by asking about their registration.

QUOTE Liam McKay - Global Corporate Affairs: “9H-GLOBL enables Hi Fly to bring the aircraft to Europe to begin return to service work. In the future, when we start scheduled services, we will bring our aircraft over to a UK AOC.... We are hoping to bring our first aircraft to Europe before year end to begin return to service work. The plan remains to be operating later in 2024.”

NO followup information on AOC progress... McKay declines to provide that. Spring 2024 as they promised seems rather unlikely!

Plenty of over-confidence without any explanation of 'how' from McKay: “We believe by offering an elevated product, and adopting a competitive commercial strategy, we will be able to achieve good load factors on the aircraft.”

That's a statement of the bleeding obvious ! You might also imagine that by, say, keeping revenue far ahead of costs they can expect to make a large profit... genius!

James Field also doesn't press McKay on 'how' and 'why' he expects Global is going to succeed on that where experienced and established carriers have failed:

McKay also noted that at the Routes World 2023 event which happened recently, things do appear to be positive for them: “Also, at Routes, we met with a number of potential partners, with capacity and ambitions to grow during winter season. We will consider relevant route development options as we bring our aircraft into service.”
UNQUOTE

McKay: 'Starting a new airline is hugely challenging, so we understand some scepticism... That said, there are a huge number of supporters for what we are setting out to achieve... Competition is what drives this industry forward and, ultimately, benefits the passenger.' Whilst this does address the concern of scepticism over Global Airlines operations per se, this will no doubt continue to be a theme of the carrier moving forward.
UNQUOTE

Seriously mate, it is going to take a lot more than some enthusiastic fan boys and spotters to fill 500 seats daily to and from 2x US destinations... !

James Field's insightful conclusion is as follows:

Looking ahead, the only real answer into whether this scepticism is founded or unfounded will depends on whether Global Airlines gets into commercial service, and whether it remains consistent in doing so. Despite this, they do seem to be proceeding with things on time as planned, especially through the series of announcements made this year already, which other start-ups particularly in the UK hadn’t made it that far. In this case, we are just going to have to wait and see what happens, but there does seem to be a level of confidence oozing from the team at Global Airlines. But, of course, it’s whether they can put that confidence into a positive & practical solution that gets them into the air, once and for all, to shut down the scepticism.
UNQUOTE

It's unclear what James Field means by 'they do seem to be proceeding with things on time as planned, especially through the series of announcements...'

I'd beg to differ. Announcing a partner for inflight champagne and moisturizer products are hardly the big items that the CAA will be looking at for the AOC.

It's generous of James Field to identify the 'level of confidence oozing from the team' - but all we have seen so far are press releases! I expect that David Kendrick at CAA will be looking for something a little more solid than 'oozing confidence' !

Less Hair
26th Oct 2023, 08:57
The easy question would be how much money they have to spend and where it is coming from?

cavokblues
26th Oct 2023, 09:08
It's all just noise, isn't it? Lots of hot air and no substance yet. Their collision with reality and how they manage it will be interesting.

GrimeySky
26th Oct 2023, 09:10
I'm also curious why they keep referring to bringing this aircraft 'to Europe' - or is 'the first' aircraft no longer the ex-SQ one with the illegal JCL seats parked near Lourdes?

Flying Hi
26th Oct 2023, 09:16
The Lourdes one has gpt to be a Bin Job.

Less Hair
26th Oct 2023, 09:26
It will be fun to get a Maltese EU A380 permitted to shuttle between the UK and US by somebody who claims to be some UK airline.

Alteagod
26th Oct 2023, 10:35
This whole thing is so Disney land I fear it might actually happen. Unlikely but this is aviation after all...the land of make believe

sangiovese.
26th Oct 2023, 15:42
Still no news on the money behind it. Fuel prices are going up, economy tightening and they still think they can break even on a 380? Not withstanding costs to get the operation going, no cash to protect suppliers. No company will touch them without prior payment. And Asquith still can’t say exactly why it’s going to be so game changing besides a marginally bigger seat room.

slast
26th Oct 2023, 17:41
Comments about money are appropriate. Global Airlines is owned by Holidayswap GROUP (95%) and Asquith (5%), its articles give Asquith complete control and as of December 31 2022 it's listed as a dormant company with assets of £100 and zero employees.

I’ve also been looking at Holidayswap in some depth as I have an interest in the shared property business. Holidayswap does not appear to be a functioning company on the scale claimed (“millions of monthly users, worth £300 million”.) Holidayswap LIMITED is also another £100 dormant company owned by Holidayswap GROUP Ltd.

However it is almost unheard of in the actual travel accommodation business. It purports to be about swapping but the vast majority of properties shown are short term rentals. The “industry awards” it claims are from publications which are in the “vanity awards” business – you basically acquire “trophies” by buying advertising in an online publication, they create an “award category” to match your specific business and you come out top.

To me it sounds as if the story is that Asquith started out with a genuine idea – “Tinder meets AiRBnB” - in 2017. The website was set up from Turkey but did not get much traction. There are a few genuine looking postings from 2017-18-19 (and a sprinkling since then) which are marked as available for swaps. After that there was very little activity until the autumn of 2020 when there seems to have been a burst of publicity that didn’t achieve much (unsurprisingly given the COVID situation).
With HS having almost no actual customers in 2021, after Asquith started Global Airlines, it was necessary to create some substance to go with the claim of “10m users” of Holidayswap. This triggered a lot of work by coders (probably in Turkey) to increase the apparent size of Holidayswap’s client base. It resulted in a massive increase in listed properties (but not individual clients) in winter-spring of 2022-23 when vast numbers of properties were added, whether by soliciting directly from rental companies or maybe scraping data from their websites, but it made the site unworkable. This actually has broken the website, it and the apps don’t work properly and a large number of the properties shown are actually fakes.

sangiovese.
26th Oct 2023, 18:03
And yet no journalist has even bothered questioning it🤷🏼‍♀️

dc9-32
27th Oct 2023, 05:29
No doubt the same guy behind the so-call Monarch reincarnation....

cavokblues
27th Oct 2023, 06:57
Comments about money are appropriate. Global Airlines is owned by Holidayswap GROUP (95%) and Asquith (5%), its articles give Asquith complete control and as of December 31 2022 it's listed as a dormant company with assets of £100 and zero employees.

I’ve also been looking at Holidayswap in some depth as I have an interest in the shared property business. Holidayswap does not appear to be a functioning company on the scale claimed (“millions of monthly users, worth £300 million”.) Holidayswap LIMITED is also another £100 dormant company owned by Holidayswap GROUP Ltd.

However it is almost unheard of in the actual travel accommodation business. It purports to be about swapping but the vast majority of properties shown are short term rentals. The “industry awards” it claims are from publications which are in the “vanity awards” business – you basically acquire “trophies” by buying advertising in an online publication, they create an “award category” to match your specific business and you come out top.

To me it sounds as if the story is that Asquith started out with a genuine idea – “Tinder meets AiRBnB” - in 2017. The website was set up from Turkey but did not get much traction. There are a few genuine looking postings from 2017-18-19 (and a sprinkling since then) which are marked as available for swaps. After that there was very little activity until the autumn of 2020 when there seems to have been a burst of publicity that didn’t achieve much (unsurprisingly given the COVID situation).
With HS having almost no actual customers in 2021, after Asquith started Global Airlines, it was necessary to create some substance to go with the claim of “10m users” of Holidayswap. This triggered a lot of work by coders (probably in Turkey) to increase the apparent size of Holidayswap’s client base. It resulted in a massive increase in listed properties (but not individual clients) in winter-spring of 2022-23 when vast numbers of properties were added, whether by soliciting directly from rental companies or maybe scraping data from their websites, but it made the site unworkable. This actually has broken the website, it and the apps don’t work properly and a large number of the properties shown are actually fakes.

Quite. And as I've said previously, only 4 listed employees on their accounts. There is no way you operate a company with as many customers as they claim with only 4 employees.

Flying Hi
27th Oct 2023, 07:08
And yet no journalist has even bothered questioning it🤷🏼‍♀️
One has to wonder 'why?'

cavokblues
27th Oct 2023, 07:24
One has to wonder 'why?'

It's more newsworthy and easier to claim everyone who wants to start a new airline is the 'new Richard Branson' as opposed to actually doing some digging around it. A lot of newspapers these days just seem to regurgitate social media stories, so it's a easy win for a quick filler on a slow news day.

Even those two chaps from Southend managed to get a bit of press about starting an airline....

Captivep
27th Oct 2023, 08:35
It's more newsworthy and easier to claim everyone who wants to start a new airline is the 'new Richard Branson' as opposed to actually doing some digging around it. A lot of newspapers these days just seem to regurgitate social media stories, so it's a easy win for a quick filler on a slow news day.

Even those two chaps from Southend managed to get a bit of press about starting an airline....
'Twas ever thus. Indeed, in the case of Martin Halstead, he managed to garner that same sobriquet twice; first with AlphaOne and then Varsity Express.

slast
27th Oct 2023, 14:38
Quite. And as I've said previously, only 4 listed employees on their accounts. There is no way you operate a company with as many customers as they claim with only 4 employees.
There are a few more, mostly in Turkey and/or remote contractors. Found this org chart ....
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1400x1326/hsg_org_chart_c4eba128cd4f6a359c6d39a2fcb9318d674b306a.jpg
From a site called theorg.com.
There is a journalist looking at this....

slast
27th Oct 2023, 14:51
Same source has this as the Directors... However Companies House updates show only Asquith, Davey,.and Thomas Guy Stolkely as directors. Jamie Petty as terminated on 30 Aug this year.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1167x865/hsg_board_a1f136546244f13ce455c71feea10f436b91d219.jpg

Atlantic Explorer
27th Oct 2023, 16:50
There are a few more, mostly in Turkey and/or remote contractors. Found this org chart ....
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1400x1326/hsg_org_chart_c4eba128cd4f6a359c6d39a2fcb9318d674b306a.jpg
From a site called theorg.com.
There is a journalist looking at this....

How much is that lot costing? Company hasn’t even earned a penny in revenue. That’s a lot of cash being paid out!

PAXboy
27th Oct 2023, 17:06
The org chat shows 13 people. Apart from their being too many Chiefs, there are 5 listed for marketing and content. There do not appear many people with the titles:

Engineer
Project Manager
Certification Manager
Fit-out Controller

etc. But then, I'm only a humble pax - what do I know ...

slast
27th Oct 2023, 17:19
Paxboy, this appears to be a "Holiday Swap" company org chart only. But it is not clear what legal entity bit refers to. Global Airlines Ltd and Holiday Swap Ltd both lists as dormant £100 companies owned by Holiday Swap Group and controlled by Asquith. I couldn''t find a similar chart for Global.

cavokblues
27th Oct 2023, 17:30
Similar companies like HomeExchange, with 450,000 customers, have over 70 employees.

HolidaySwap have had 10,000,000 website hits, no audited accounts and claim to be valued at £400m.

They've had their PR now, time to see what they actually have to offer. They won't get away with running an airline with the same way they seem to have run Holiday Swap.

dc9-32
28th Oct 2023, 05:38
And Jenny has no surname.......

Wide berth springs to mind.

Asturias56
28th Oct 2023, 07:32
executive assistants are lucky to even have a first name - they don't last long....................

PAXboy
28th Oct 2023, 10:37
Thanks slast. In that case: Where are the software development teams?? :ok:

slast
28th Oct 2023, 11:06
Thanks slast. In that case: Where are the software development teams?? :ok:
Do mean on this chart? If so, Sander Eentalu is listed as Chief Technology officer, an Estonian who does seem to have some deep tech background. He has one report, a contractor named Christian Castellanos, shown as Product Design Consultant. US based and his own website describes him as an "Art Director and UX Designer, thinking of strategies, concepts, and experiences for products and campaigns". So doesn't seem like a lot of people doing coding. D
irector and UX Designer, thinking of strategies, concepts, and experiences for products and campaigns

PAXboy
28th Oct 2023, 11:26
Yep, for a web based company, a single CTO and a single developer? I do hope they have many more hidden workers. But, of course, they don't.

G-ARZG
28th Oct 2023, 11:31
Do mean on this chart? If so, Sander Eentalu is listed as Chief Technology officer, an Estonian who does seem to have some deep tech background. He has one report, a contractor named Christian Castellanos, shown as Product Design Consultant. US based and his own website describes him as an "Art Director and UX Designer, thinking of strategies, concepts, and experiences for products and campaigns". So doesn't seem like a lot of people doing coding. D
irector and UX Designer, thinking of strategies, concepts, and experiences for products and campaigns
Missing from the chart is Head of Planning, Iwona Verhappen, on secondment from Atmosphere Airlines

GrimeySky
30th Oct 2023, 16:45
Here's another episode from the comedy show that is Global:

Global Airlines On Lookout For More Airbus A380s | Aviation Week Network (https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/airlines-lessors/global-airlines-lookout-more-airbus-a380s)

Victoria Moore, ATW's London Editor doesn't apparently have any ability to ask the difficult questions. This rot is just verbatim from the Global pitch deck. What happened to the 'how? when? where?' analysis that journalism usually requires. No surprise to find this sort of lazy reporting in the Daily Mail and The Times - but in a once renowned industry rag? C'mon dear - up your game a bit...

DaveReidUK
30th Oct 2023, 17:04

Global Airlines On Lookout For More Airbus A380s | Aviation Week Network (https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/airlines-lessors/global-airlines-lookout-more-airbus-a380s)

Victoria Moore, ATW's London Editor doesn't apparently have any ability to ask the difficult questions. This rot is just verbatim from the Global pitch deck. What happened to the 'how? when? where?' analysis that journalism usually requires. No surprise to find this sort of lazy reporting in the Daily Mail and The Times - but in a once renowned industry rag? C'mon dear - up your game a bit...

Yes, but when Global is a mega-airline and are looking at where to place their next few thousand dollars' worth of advertising, they would remember how rude ATW were about them when they were starting out, and spend their money elsewhere.

Or something. :O

GrimeySky
30th Oct 2023, 17:23
Well, ATW were sponsors of Routes Online in IST, so perhaps she was obligated to just parrot that guff?

Her resume on ATW claims 'nearly 20 years’ aviation industry experience, spanning airline ground operations, analytical, journalism and communications roles.'

From that list of jobs, perhaps she's already joined Global's Comms team? (Asquith has certainly placed more emphasis on finding communications people to tell his fairytales than hiring staff with solid knowledge of operations or revenue!)

northboy
1st Nov 2023, 12:54
Well, ATW were sponsors of Routes Online in IST, so perhaps she was obligated to just parrot that guff?

Her resume on ATW claims 'nearly 20 years’ aviation industry experience, spanning airline ground operations, analytical, journalism and communications roles.'

They are both owned by the same parent company.

GrimeySky
1st Nov 2023, 16:08
Victoria lists anal-ytical journalism as part of her skillset anyway. No kidding.

DP.
1st Nov 2023, 16:58

Similarly, I'm 'on the lookout' for a Gulfstream and a Ferrari...

On a serious note, I remain baffled by this talk of flying the aircraft in from the USA. They purchased the aircraft from Doric with it widely reported that it was 9H-MIP (MSN 006) which, as already noted, is known to have been stored at LDE since March 2021. This article (https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/uk-based-startup-global-airlines-purchases-an-airbus-a380-to-begin-operations) states that Doric were also marketing A6-EDH (MSN 025). However this has been stored at DWC since March 2020. Last time I checked, neither of those airports are in the USA.

slast
1st Nov 2023, 17:06
" This article (https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/uk-based-startup-global-airlines-purchases-an-airbus-a380-to-begin-operations) states that Doric ........ a lonk on that article takes you to another "funny" - possibly he was iinsoired by Asquith?!?
Bavarian Airlines 18-year founder accused of fraud - and being 15 - AeroTime (https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/bavarian-airlines-18-year-old-founder-accused-of-fraud-and-being-15)

slast
1st Nov 2023, 17:19
" This article (https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/uk-based-startup-global-airlines-purchases-an-airbus-a380-to-begin-operations) states that Doric ........ a lonk on that article takes you to another "funny" - possibly he was inspired by Asquith?!?
Bavarian Airlines 18-year founder accused of fraud - and being 15 - AeroTime (https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/bavarian-airlines-18-year-old-founder-accused-of-fraud-and-being-15)

slast
1st Nov 2023, 17:20
" This article (https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/uk-based-startup-global-airlines-purchases-an-airbus-a380-to-begin-operations) states that Doric ........ a link on that article takes you to another "funny" - possibly he was inspired by Asquith?!?

slast
1st Nov 2023, 17:24
aplogies for the multiple postinsg - for some reason I don't understand if I try to edit for typos the system is creating a new post instead, and I can't delete the duplicates: help!

BA318
3rd Nov 2023, 16:20
https://paxex.aero/holiday-swap-data-booking-review-mess/

As expected, once you look into Holiday Swap it’s just as much of a mess.

Flying Hi
3rd Nov 2023, 16:35

Maybe Seth Miller should do something similar on Global Airlines.
Ask questions like - what possessed you to buy a retired airframe that will ptobably never fly agsin?

​​​

SWBKCB
3rd Nov 2023, 16:35
Interesting - seems to be some proper journalism going on there!

southamptonavgeek
3rd Nov 2023, 16:37
On a serious note, I remain baffled by this talk of flying the aircraft in from the USA. They purchased the aircraft from Doric with it widely reported that it was 9H-MIP (MSN 006) which, as already noted, is known to have been stored at LDE since March 2021. This article (https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/uk-based-startup-global-airlines-purchases-an-airbus-a380-to-begin-operations) states that Doric were also marketing A6-EDH (MSN 025). However this has been stored at DWC since March 2020. Last time I checked, neither of those airports are in the USA.

I wrote in post #364 that three of the frames they claim to have acquired are ex-China Southern. This comes from a social media post made by the new Boy Wonder himself on a trip to the USA. Annoyingly I can no longer find it!

SWBKCB
3rd Nov 2023, 16:53
The China Southern a/c are stored at Mojave - I think they are the only one's stored in the States and are Rolls Royce engined as well

cavokblues
3rd Nov 2023, 18:16

This does not look like a legitimate company in any way, shape or form. We all know what this looks like but probably best not to say on a public forum.

slast
3rd Nov 2023, 18:21
To add a bit to Seth Miller’s Paxex.aero researches….

The very first property shown on Holidayswap’s current website as an example is stated to be a “luxurious 9-bedroom, 7.5-bathroom villa” in Florida, and is a commercial rental not a “holiday home swap”. The address given for the property is that of a very small bungalow, about 19 miles from the property described and with none of the facilities claimed.

Whatever property details you look at, Holidayswap shows you the same random selection of others as “similar homes” - a 4 bedroom and a 1 bedroom one in Florida, a 1 bedroom apartment in Vienna and 1 bedroom one in a Tokyo suburb. These are also "similar homes" to a villa in Bali and an aprtment hotel in the Andes in Chile!
In the UK a huge percentage of properties are actually small furnished rentals in industrial areas in the north of England, and not vacation properties. Some have addresses which turn out to be on industrial estates. Others have ludicrous photos and addresses. Limehouse Church Institute, a grade 2 listed Edwardian building, is shown for an apartment with an address of “Canary Wharf, Londra E14, Birleşik Krallık”, one of many uploaded at the same time by someone who appears to be in Turkey. Miller’s assessment of the web traffic as being of the order of 1000 visits per month (i.e. 30-odd per day) matches other traffic monitors.

4th Nov 2023, 00:14
Some nice journalism, in a very litigation averse age! Having browsed a few cities I know; yes - exactly what he says. And the dross drowns out that stuff that seems more real so comprehensively (have a look at Glasgow, for example!) that I can't see anyone who tried to use the site succeeding.

I don't understand what kind of investor would be impressed by that site, but then I also don't understand what kind of investor would put money into Global!

slast
5th Nov 2023, 09:34
I've also posted some of my last comment on Miller's blog, with some additional research....
"Your assessment of the web traffic as being of the order of 1000 visits per month (i.e. 30-odd per day) compares to that of competitors like Homeexchange (300 thousand per month) and Lovehomeswap (160 thousand). Homeexchange says it has 150k “subscribers in 145 countries”, compared to Holidayswap’s claimed 250k users in 185 countries 3 years ago, and a million today. So quite how the £330 million valuation quoted recently in a London “Times” newspaper is reached is hard to see.
As a final “reality check”: on Trustpilot, information “written by the company” says “Holiday Swap is the world leader in home exchange vacations. With over 1,000,000 users in 185 countries”. But it has only 57 Trustpilot reviews, the earliest dating from just over 14 months ago, which is strange for a business started in 2017 and claiming to have 250,000 users by 2020. All except three are 5 star reviews, 23 of them being posted on only 4 days in September and December 2022. (The other 3 are highly critical 1 or 2 star). By comparison, rival business Homeexchange’s Trustpilot reviews start from 2013 and total over 5200, almost 100 times more than Holidayswap’s 57, despite having only one sixth of Holidayswap’s claimed users.
One must hope that investors in this and Global Airlines have done their due diligence – certainly it seems questionable whether many other journalists have done so."

Flying Hi
5th Nov 2023, 09:40
I've also posted some of my last comment on Miller's blog, with some additional research....
"Your assessment of the web traffic as being of the order of 1000 visits per month (i.e. 30-odd per day) compares to that of competitors like Homeexchange (300 thousand per month) and Lovehomeswap (160 thousand). Homeexchange says it has 150k “subscribers in 145 countries”, compared to Holidayswap’s claimed 250k users in 185 countries 3 years ago, and a million today. So quite how the £330 million valuation quoted recently in a London “Times” newspaper is reached is hard to see.
As a final “reality check”: on Trustpilot, information “written by the company” says “Holiday Swap is the world leader in home exchange vacations. With over 1,000,000 users in 185 countries”. But it has only 57 Trustpilot reviews, the earliest dating from just over 14 months ago, which is strange for a business started in 2017 and claiming to have 250,000 users by 2020. All except three are 5 star reviews, 23 of them being posted on only 4 days in September and December 2022. (The other 3 are highly critical 1 or 2 star). By comparison, rival business Homeexchange’s Trustpilot reviews start from 2013 and total over 5200, almost 100 times more than Holidayswap’s 57, despite having only one sixth of Holidayswap’s claimed users.
One must hope that investors in this and Global Airlines have done their due diligence – certainly it seems questionable whether many other journalists have done so."
The perfect oxymoron - investors - due diligence - Global Airlines.:zzz:
All this fakery has to be for some kind of ultrrior motive not concerned iny anyway with making either compsny viable.

GrimeySky
5th Nov 2023, 15:39
The Boy Wonder preparing to launch into India and Pakistan...

Global Airlines CEO Confirms Interest in Pakistan, India Flights - AVS (aviationsourcenews.com) (https://aviationsourcenews.com/airline/global-airlines-ceo-confirms-interest-in-pakistan-india-flights/)

pabely
6th Nov 2023, 18:41
So when you mentioned "they," you were actually referring to Global and their intended fleet of four Airbus A380s. Rather than suggesting Emirates eventually operating x4 daily A380 flights into STN.

I understand what you actually meant now, but hey, "I still want what you're using." 🤗

But come on, these sort of topics and questions are irrelevant really as we all know that there will be no great outcome from all of this. I give the guy credit, though, for his enthusiasm, but if this operation actually starts, I'll be totally shocked. I can assure you.

Oh, perhaps I should be asking Mr. Asquith if I can have some of what's he's using, he looks the type 🤔
Emirates going x3 daily at STN from 01 April 2024 all 777.
​​​No matter what anyone is smoking, Global are fast running out of options to setup anything at any London airport with a 380. Perhaps Manston!

magyar_flyer
6th Nov 2023, 18:51
Emirates going x3 daily at STN from 01 April 2024 all 777.
​​​No matter what anyone is smoking, Global are fast running out of options to setup anything at any London airpor!
I'm probably missing the obvious but what is the link between the Emirates 777 and Global?

Less Hair
6th Nov 2023, 18:53
Busy airport gates leaving no room for new entrants.

atakacs
7th Nov 2023, 05:45
Understood :)
But I thought 380 would use specific gates while 777 would be more "flexible" ?

pabely
7th Nov 2023, 19:46
With no sign of additional A380 capable gates at Gatwick, let's see how the conversion goes at Stansted between MAG & Emirates.
"I know the meeting invite was headed A380, but we want you to move your well established B777 operations to a new gate, I know you are a flagship operations are a great selling point for us and you pay your bills on time but we want you to move because we have a risky enterprise which will have cash flow problems from day one but we feel it is our best interest. Sorry you are investing loads of money in a new lounge for premium customers and that will produce a reduced service to our and your customers but it makes sense for us..........PS will you still upgrade to x4 daily in the not to distant future?"

atakacs
8th Nov 2023, 14:34
From bizjet to 380

Global Airlines partners with JETMS on aircraft refurbishment and overhaul programme (https://airlinergs.com/global-airlines-partners-with-jetms-on-aircraft-refurbishment-and-overhaul-programme/)

Asturias56
8th Nov 2023, 15:44
with work planned to commence on the first aircraft in January 2024. :p

Flying Hi
8th Nov 2023, 15:49
From bizjet to 380

Global Airlines partners with JETMS on aircraft refurbishment and overhaul programme (https://airlinergs.com/global-airlines-partners-with-jetms-on-aircraft-refurbishment-and-overhaul-programme/)
More copy snd paste rubbish.
When will any INVESTIGATIVE Journalist ( an oxymoron?) give this lot a good looking-at?
like - 'follow the money' for one.

DaveReidUK
8th Nov 2023, 17:45
with work planned to commence on the first aircraft in January 2024. :p

Two questions immediately spring to mind.

JETMS have facilities at their home base (Vilnius) and at Biggin Hill. Where will the A380 work take place?

And how many more employees will they have to take on for a project this big?

Flying Hi
8th Nov 2023, 18:07
Two questions immediately spring to mind.

JETMS have facilities at their home base (Vilnius) and at Biggin Hill. Where will the A380 work take place?

And how many more employees will they have to take on for a project this big?
Certainly not at Biggin. That'd be an 'interesting' landing.
Vilnius -in the dry, probably but exciting for the crew of an aircraft (any of those old nails) that hasn't flown in ages.

SWBKCB
8th Nov 2023, 18:53
Where will the A380 work take place?

Work? What, like proper work?! :ooh:

Asturias56
9th Nov 2023, 08:10
"When will any INVESTIGATIVE Journalist ( an oxymoron?) give this lot a good looking-at?"

Not until some punters in the public lose cash - right now it doesn't affect anyone who the mainstream media want to reach/frighten - and you'd have to explain a shed load of acronyms about the Airline business - no-one would read it.

What they're waiting for is "Grannie Scammed By Global Airlines!!"

I'm sure they're got it in mind - it's just a question of feeding them some line & time - or wait for a quiet news day

GrimeySky
9th Nov 2023, 11:01
Taking a closer look at JETMS, they only announced their hangar in Lithuania in April of this year, and in the press release, had this to say:

Gegams Hanamirjans explains that new and modern Kaunas facilities will allow the company to offer the design and production of cabin interior components for both passenger and cargo aircraft, as well as engineering modifications, in-house engineering services, and customised solutions. “We have brought together a team of commercial aviation experts with over 30 years of total experience, therefore we’re entering this market with confidence and industry know-how.”
UNQUOTE

Now, this may just be a poorly worded press release, but seriously - their experts have '30 years of total experience'?! Is that all?

Sit on the the staff bus at any serious airlines and it usually only takes a dozen passengers to bring together a CENTURY or more of cumulative experience. And here they are claiming THIRTY as a big number? So they have few staff or limited experience?

Sharp learning curve from changing the seat covers in a Learjet to getting an A380 fit for an AOC review. Good luck with that...

GrimeySky
9th Nov 2023, 11:26
PS I'm assuming that JETMS facility for this work will be Kaunas and NOT Vilnius? Kaunas accounts for 50% of their hangar space, the rest divided between Biggin Hill & Vilnius.

slast
10th Nov 2023, 13:51
Latest ..... at TTG - Travel industry news - Transatlantic start-up hints at plans to sell through agents (ttgmedia.com) (https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/transatlantic-start-up-hints-at-plans-to-sell-through-agents-43271)
"Self-made entrepreneur Asquith.... suggested the transatlantic carrier would launch in spring 2024 (https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/new-uk-us-transatlantic-carrier-targets-spring-2024-launch-40498), although he was non-committal on a date or timeline at WTM London.“Whatever I say I am going to be stuck to a pole and we’ll have to follow through with it,” he said. However, he added: “We know there are challenges for us, but there will be aircraft in the sky sooner than people think.”
Asquith also stressed he recognised Global Airlines would need to “build credibility” before launching. “If I go back two years and say, ‘we’re Global Airlines’, people would say, ‘we can’t find you on the internet, what are you talking about, you’re crazy’,” he remarked.

“Now, we’re getting a lot of support from people at Airbus, the people at the start who said, ‘are you a little bit crazy?’. It has been a big effort to build the credibility – we don’t want to destroy it by saying we want to do this, on this date, and then it gets delayed. It can happen to the biggest and the best in this sector.”

runway30
10th Nov 2023, 15:31
Latest ..... at TTG - Travel industry news - Transatlantic start-up hints at plans to sell through agents (ttgmedia.com) (https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/transatlantic-start-up-hints-at-plans-to-sell-through-agents-43271)
"Self-made entrepreneur Asquith.... suggested the transatlantic carrier would launch in spring 2024 (https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/new-uk-us-transatlantic-carrier-targets-spring-2024-launch-40498), although he was non-committal on a date or timeline at WTM London.“Whatever I say I am going to be stuck to a pole and we’ll have to follow through with it,” he said. However, he added: “We know there are challenges for us, but there will be aircraft in the sky sooner than people think.”
Asquith also stressed he recognised Global Airlines would need to “build credibility” before launching. “If I go back two years and say, ‘we’re Global Airlines’, people would say, ‘we can’t find you on the internet, what are you talking about, you’re crazy’,” he remarked.

“Now, we’re getting a lot of support from people at Airbus, the people at the start who said, ‘are you a little bit crazy?’. It has been a big effort to build the credibility – we don’t want to destroy it by saying we want to do this, on this date, and then it gets delayed. It can happen to the biggest and the best in this sector.”
Every time he opens his mouth Asquith demonstrates how little knowledge he has especially when questioned by someone from the real airline world.

PAXboy
11th Nov 2023, 12:10
“Now, we’re getting a lot of support from people at Airbus
Of course you are, they hope to make money out of you.

Less Hair
11th Nov 2023, 12:32
It sounds more like their typical namedropping with American Express before. There might be nothing behind it, no agreement or similar. It still looks very much like a hobbyist venture, very unlikely to get close to anything, not even to the financial, legal or organisational basics needed for any airline.

slast
13th Nov 2023, 16:33
Simon Calder has been writing about the travel business for decades, but didn't do much background checking before putting this up in the Independent last weekend... Note Asquith now has "literally thousands of people in my inbox asking when they can apply to come and work with us."

"A new start-up, Global Airlines, will succeed because passengers, pilots and airports love the Airbus A380: that is the claim from James Asquith, the travel entrepreneur who is creating the new long-haul carrier.
“Everyone says that something can't be done until it's done,” he told The Independent.
Mr Asquith, 34, believes that the world’s biggest airliner will attract passengers and staff even in a highly competitive market. His business plan relies on buying up secondhand A380s at very low prices.
The double-deck jet has not been a commercial success, with far fewer sales than the Boeing 747. By far the biggest operator is Emirates, with more than half the European-built “SuperJumbos” in service. But Air France has retired its fleet of the plane, some of which are being stored at Lourdes airport in southwest France. Other A380s at the end of their initial 10-year leases have been handed back. As a result, the pre-owned jets are going cheap.
Global Airlines bought its first aircraft – of an initial fleet of four – from a German aircraft finance company, Doric Aviation. The price has not been revealed, but is believed to be in the low tens of millions of dollars.
Mr Asquith said: “By not paying $275m plus for an A380, our break-even point is much, much lower.
“Interest and depreciation on a ticket is around 40 per cent of the cost to pay that aircraft back over 15 to 20 years.
“It's a significant chunk of the fee that we've taken out. No lessors, no guns against our head, no debt.
“That allows us to be able to add more in terms of the product and there's more headroom in terms of pricing as well.”
Global Airlines has yet to announce a launch date or confirm destinations, but the founder says the airline could be flying “sooner than you think”. It has teamed up with a Portugal charter carrier, HiFly, which has experience of operating the A380 – and the required licences.
“We're where we need to be,” Mr Asquith said. “The ‘return to service’ work on our first aircraft is almost complete – in the 90 per cent range.”
The main focus will be on transatlantic flying, but the founder promises “some other things – we’ll be revealing all of that pretty shortly”.
Many aviation industry insiders have questioned Global Airlines’ chances of a start-up successfully filling seats on the world’s biggest passenger plane – in a crowded market where existing “legacy” carriers have strong loyalty programmes and networks offering connections.
Critics also point to the high cost of fuelling, crewing and maintaining the giant jet.
“There's obviously challenges with the aircraft,” said Mr Asquith. “Everyone knows that. But there's also huge benefits for passengers.
“It’s a passenger favourite. It’s a crew favourite. It’s a pilot favourite. And obviously an airport favourite as well. People want the largest commercial aircraft in the world.
“If I knew all the challenges with the A380 and what we are doing now, at the start, I wouldn't have changed anything that we're doing.
“The product is what we can do with the A380.”
The carrier makes the bold claim of “revolutionising commercial flying”. Its online pitch reads: “We’ve all suffered for far too long with long security queues, late flights, lost luggage, inedible food and constant poor customer service.
“Global Airlines offers fast relief from the aches and pains associated with commercial air travel. We bring joy at every interaction and delight at every touch point. Take a deep breath, welcome aboard.
“Whether you are flying for business or leisure, Global Airlines do things differently. From catering and customer relations through to scheduling and ground operations. Simply put we are unconstrained by the usual aviation paradigms.”
One constraint Global Airlines will not be able to avoid: recruiting staff. British Airways’ parent company, IAG, recently warned: ”Shortages of licenced engineers with aircraft experience across the aviation sector and in the Group’s airlines combined with aircraft, engines and component shortages are significantly impacting maintenance delivery timelines and may challenge morale.”
But Mr Asquith says: “Crew want very simple things. They want flexibility, they want a good work environment, and yes, of course, good pay and not being overworked.
“I’ve got literally thousands of people in my inbox asking when they can apply to come and work with us.
“It's about creating a culture, creating somewhere that people love to work. The beauty of, in the Seventies, of someone putting on a Pan Am or a TWA uniform and going to work and feeling like a million damn dollars walking through the airport. That's what it could and should be.”

cavokblues
13th Nov 2023, 16:54
A deluded fantasist being indulged by the media.

southamptonavgeek
13th Nov 2023, 17:19
Their "Global Airlines offers fast relief from the aches and pains of flying" quote irritates me every time I read it. I can't say why but suppose it's to do with the fact that they aren't going anywhere particularly fast, and if they ever do it will be extremely painful for all involved...

ATNotts
13th Nov 2023, 17:50
slast,

I too was amazed at Simon Calder being taken in by Asquith.

He really shouldn't be so gullible, being a 'professional' travel journalist.

DaveReidUK
13th Nov 2023, 17:51
To be fair to Simon Calder, he is reporting the claims being made by Asquith, but certainly not endorsing them.

runway30
13th Nov 2023, 19:38
A deluded fantasist being indulged by the media.
The problem is he is a deluded fantasist taking money off deluded investors.

PAXboy
14th Nov 2023, 15:01
We’ve all suffered for far too long with long security queues, late flights, lost luggage, inedible food and constant poor customer service.

long security queues Check this with the airport and the politicians who make the rules and the Pax who might prefer to queue long and complain, than pay for more staff at the front.
late flights Check that ATC or another airline or another airport or bad weather is not involved. If it's none of those - you might be able to do something.
lost luggage Did the origin airport staff do everything right? They will all be contracted to other people including 'your uniformed staff' who checked them in. Check the bag handlers and their system. Then check the bag handlers at destination and their system.
inedible food Hooray! You can fix this. Just charge pax enough money.
constant poor customer service Make sure that all sub-contracted staff have YOUR customer as their focus because they might be more focused on getting your pax through the system in the limited time they have been given. Then they have another 10 flights to get through before the end of their shift. Not sure how you will do this as very few have managed it thus far and they have big operations. Also, make sure that your IT systems and 'app' are the very best and always work well, again, all you have to do is pay well and give good working conditions to people who understand IT, coz I suspect that you don't. Make sure that you have enough staff on the floor of the airport, at the gate, on board and in the HQ. Really, this one is a cinch, just pay for good, experienced staff and then allow them to fix the customer's problem, without saying they must check with a manager or that the rules do not allow them to issue a refund or even a voucher for a cup of tea whilst they wait.

So, I agree with you Mr Asquith. Please do fix the two things that are in your control and admit that you will have little to no influence at airports and in the airline world, until you have been around for a minimum of ten years and have more than four aircraft.

cavokblues
14th Nov 2023, 15:11
Completely agree, PAXboy.

If Global does get off the ground, how does he propose he will eliminate late flights if one of his A380's goes tech in New York?

At least with most major airlines, they will have another flight later on that day or will try and rebook you on one of their alliance partners. With Global it could be a heck of a wait for another spare aircraft to get over the pond and get you home.

Under promise, over deliver Mr Asquith. Not the other way around. Control the controllables.

Brian Pern
15th Nov 2023, 07:44
His other company www.holidayswap.com is a gem, been doing a reverse search on some of the many many properties he claims to have listed... its not impressive.
The who thing smells of a ponzi scheme to me. Been looking at some places in south Florida, a area we often go on holiday to, the listings are sparse to say the least and some of the address is written in Turkish.
I will be very surprised if this does not turn into another Theranos Inc

slast
15th Nov 2023, 09:00
Brian, see Holiday Swap's property listings raise questions | PaxEx.Aero (https://paxex.aero/holiday-swap-data-booking-review-mess/) and my comment beneath. I've been in correspondence touch with Seth Miller on this.

Brian Pern
15th Nov 2023, 11:22
Brian, see Holiday Swap's property listings raise questions | PaxEx.Aero (https://paxex.aero/holiday-swap-data-booking-review-mess/) and my comment beneath. I've been in correspondence touch with Seth Miller on this.

Just read this, words escape me.
Forwarded it to a contact in Private Eye, lets hope they can do some digging.

slast
15th Nov 2023, 11:25
Forwarded it to a contact in Private Eye, lets hope they can do some digging.
Also sent to the Eye, but don't have a contact! I suspect at present it's not of a lot of interest asthey are not taking significant money from the public.

Brian Pern
15th Nov 2023, 11:39
Also sent to the Eye, but don't have a contact! I suspect at present it's not of a lot of interest asthey are not taking significant money from the public.
Well it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I did try to contact Simon Calder, but its just a agent email available.

slast
15th Nov 2023, 11:41
Well it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I did try to contact Simon Calder, but its just a agent email available.
Will PM you later

GrimeySky
4th Dec 2023, 17:23
Another nugget of comedy gold.

Two people who clearly know not-a-lot about the commercial and operational realities of running an airline - talking earnestly about running an airline..

An Exclusive Interview With James Asquith, CEO of Global Airlines (upgradedpoints.com) (https://upgradedpoints.com/news/james-asquith-global-airlines-ceo-interview/)

atakacs
4th Dec 2023, 17:42
Another nugget of comedy gold.
Sums it pretty well...

compton3bravo
4th Dec 2023, 19:24
After reading that garbage I would not trust either of them to run a bath!!

Flying Hi
4th Dec 2023, 20:10
After reading that garbage I would not trust either of them to run a bath!!
Maybe he's running one already - for his Investors to take one in.:bored:

PAXboy
4th Dec 2023, 21:43
'upgradepoints' - whoever they may be, have done an entirely standard job:

Called the interview 'exclusive' when it clearly is not
Attempted to question the holes in the plan but not forcefully
covered themselves for whatever this wannabe turns out to be

“My advisors around me are without a doubt some of the most frequent flyers in the world, this is where our competitive advantage wins.”To the best of my knowledge - of having spent 27 years in commerce and working around the world travelling in C - I have not heard how high mileage flyers can advise CEOs. They can give you a wish list but then, you could come up with the same points by spending time in this forum [A,A&R]. Just look at the current debate on the C product of BA against their competition. Tomorrrow, I mark 58 years as a Pax at all levels on something like 100 carriers, so he is welcome to pay me for my opinion.

Asquith talks a convincingly good game and appears to know his stuffYes, we know! That is why he has got this far.
“I can’t give too much away, but it might have something to do with access to our social space and bar onboard the aircraft,” replied Asquith. We have alredy discussed in this thread that the social and bar areas were a real 'wow' back in the day but that was then. Now that the seats are large, folks don't need to spend time out of the seat. The bars on VS do not do anything like the business they did when first introduced - was that around late 80s? Accordingly, the social and bar areas have been reduced in size. Likewise, VS introduced the manicurist and masseur - which was well received - but that got chopped. There are showers and suites and Residences - they would have to think up something madly innovative to get mre than "I'll give them a try" from the true FF warriors (of whom I am not one).

"It’s a well-known saying in the airline world that if an aircraft is not in the air, it’s not making money." According to Asquith, Global won’t have this problem because the airline owns its jet and has no debt owed to lessors.

“We can have longer on the ground and longer turnaround times thanks to not owing money back to our lessors,” said Asquith
Neat way to protect yourself from criticism in advance about protracted times on the ground. BUT it does not matter whether you own the aircraft or not - if it's not in the air = it's not making money.
Simples!

BRAKES HOT
11th Dec 2023, 11:26
I see from Insta that aircraft number 2 has completed return to service work and is almost ready to head off for (presumably cabin?) refurbishment.

atakacs
11th Dec 2023, 11:46
I see from Insta that aircraft number 2 has completed return to service work and is almost ready to head off for (presumably cabin?) refurbishment.
What registration ? Have to enter my FR24 alert :)

DaveReidUK
11th Dec 2023, 12:34

Following in the footsteps of #1, which AFAIK hasn't moved an inch since Global announced that they had acquired it.

BRAKES HOT
11th Dec 2023, 12:57
According to the post, A380 number 2 is due to take to the skies first. Perhaps someone else with more knowledge could work out where the maintenance has been taking place / which airframe it is?

magyar_flyer
11th Dec 2023, 16:13
Well Lourdes seems the obvious answer. And next destination would most likely be Vilnius (Biggin Hill could be interesting as previously mentioned)

southamptonavgeek
11th Dec 2023, 20:06
It's an ex China Southern frame but don't know MSN. This is definite as per their photos. According to the articles it will be 9H-GLOBL with #1 being 9H-MIP

DaveReidUK
12th Dec 2023, 07:00
It's an ex China Southern frame but don't know MSN. This is definite as per their photos. According to the articles it will be 9H-GLOBL with #1 being 9H-MIP

Though earlier reports suggested that it was 9H-MIP that was going to be re-registered 9H-GLOBL. Confusion reigns, so no change there.

southamptonavgeek
12th Dec 2023, 07:35
Though earlier reports suggested that it was 9H-MIP that was going to be re-registered 9H-GLOBL. Confusion reigns, so no change there.
They have always said that "9H-GLOBL" is flying to Europe though, which to me would suggest it is a frame not currently in Europe. Or they have one of those dodgy phrasebooks!

DP.
12th Dec 2023, 09:24
The five CZ A380s were;

B-6136 (MSN 031) (now N291JM)
B-6137 (MSN 036) (now N296JM)
B-6138 (MSN 054) (now N110PK)
B-6139 (MSN 088) (now N115PK)
B-6140 (MSN 120) (now N123KK)

All currently at MHV. The first two have been there since Feb 2022, the other three since Dec 2022.

southamptonavgeek
12th Dec 2023, 14:18
One of the first 2, I believe 36, is being scrapped. So it would make sense that the three frames which arrived later are the 3 supposedly acquired by Global. If that's actually happened of course!

PAXboy
12th Dec 2023, 16:38
I do hope that they do not go out of business too soon. I am enjoying the entertainment too much.

Brian Pern
12th Dec 2023, 16:57
One of the first 2, I believe 36, is being scrapped. So it would make sense that the three frames which arrived later are the 3 supposedly acquired by Global. If that's actually happened of course!

37 and 38 are scheduled for scrapping as well, so that would leave 2 potentially available

Flying Hi
12th Dec 2023, 20:52
37 and 38 are scheduled for scrapping as well, so that would leave 2 potentially available
Its beginning to read like a Three Little Pigs story - and then there were none.
What will the big bad wolf do then?

DaveReidUK
12th Dec 2023, 21:17
37 and 38 are scheduled for scrapping as well, so that would leave 2 potentially available.

At the risk of stating the obvious, they are scheduled for scrapping in the absence of anyone wanting to buy them.

A potential customer could well change that situation, well in theory at least.

PAXboy
13th Dec 2023, 19:12
It would give him another excuse for not starting operations, "Someone scrapped those beauitful planes ..."

TheFiddler
13th Dec 2023, 21:00
https://caranddriverenthusiast.com/first-global-airlines-a380-completes-return-to-service-work/

Can't be true - can it? And if it isn't, surely it's fraud...

DaveReidUK
13th Dec 2023, 22:59
https://caranddriverenthusiast.com/first-global-airlines-a380-completes-return-to-service-work/

Can't be true - can it? And if it isn't, surely it's fraud...

From the accompanying video:

"The aircraft is now set to fly to a new home where it will begin extensive refurbishment work"

Not much chance of being able to fool the world about that phase ... :O

willy wombat
14th Dec 2023, 07:51
Maybe someone on here who has the time and the inclination could contact Global claiming to be a photographer for an aviation magazine and ask where they need to go to photograph the aircraft.

SOPS
14th Dec 2023, 09:24
How long can this fantasy continue?

ATNotts
14th Dec 2023, 09:40
The very fact that Asquith has not sued anyone for allegations that have been made in this, and I suggest many other platforms probably tells you all you need to know about the alleged airline.

Flying Hi
14th Dec 2023, 10:02
From the accompanying video:

"The aircraft is now set to fly to a new home where it will begin extensive refurbishment work"

Not much chance of being able to fool the world about that phase ... :O
Any video isn't there now AFAICS, just the old Photoshop picture of an A380 in Global livery.
​​

DaveReidUK
14th Dec 2023, 15:23
Any video isn't there now AFAICS, just the old Photoshop picture of an A380 in Global livery.
​​

The video accompanies Asquith's post on his LinkedIn page, mentioned in the article linked in post #484.

Here's a direct link: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7138162379384598528/

Flying Hi
14th Dec 2023, 15:32
The video accompanies Asquith's post on his LinkedIn page, mentioned in the articled linked in post #484.

Here's a direct link: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7138162379384598528/
Thanks David
​​​​​​

PAXboy
14th Dec 2023, 16:20
'Linked In' for a MAJOR annoucement??? Yet, the last entry on their own website is 15th Nov?
If i see a third party photo of the machine in the air - then I'll say they got to first base.

compton3bravo
14th Dec 2023, 16:30
It looks like the video on LinkedIn was taken at the A380 facility at Teruel in Spain. I thought his aircraft were supposed to be at Tarbes. There were some mugs on the site saying he was the best thing since sliced bread, oh dear.

DaveReidUK
14th Dec 2023, 17:41
It looks like the video on LinkedIn was taken at the A380 facility at Teruel in Spain. I thought his aircraft were supposed to be at Tarbes. There were some mugs on the site saying he was the best thing since sliced bread, oh dear.

Looks like Mojave to me - former JAL 777 in the background.

DaveReidUK
14th Dec 2023, 18:40
There were some mugs on the site saying he was the best thing since sliced bread, oh dear.

I was a mod on a couple of aviation-related groups on LinkedIn for a few years - that was a thankless task. :O

14th Dec 2023, 21:07
Are you lot still being a bunch of cynics?

The concept may need refinement, for example Gamer Class may need to return, and then the rest of the plane may need to be taken away just leaving desk and a PC and a copy of Flight Sim.

But apart from that I really can't see what could possibly go wrong.

S.o.S.
15th Dec 2023, 18:43
I was a mod on a couple of aviation-related groups on LinkedIn for a few years - that was a thankless task. :O
I don't know what you mean ... :ugh:

atakacs
18th Dec 2023, 18:58
they keep pushing their charade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJLyxrrxy_M

PAXboy
18th Dec 2023, 19:14
Another load of non-information. Zero about the company, Zero about progress. An artificial 'meeting' around a table with the people then saying nice things about the aircraft is nothing of relevance.

DP.
19th Dec 2023, 11:58
HiFly must be making some serious money out of this charade. I hope they've insisted on payment up front.