PDA

View Full Version : Help with EDDM ATIS Acronym

Airmann
13th Jul 2022, 17:00
Does anyone know what TG stands for in the comments at the end of the ATIS?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1961/20220615_162136_47a1bbaaf5fd5193c68874c183762919beee4e0c.jpg

eckhard
13th Jul 2022, 19:55
Ground Temperature 32C?

UV
13th Jul 2022, 23:39
The ATIS gives the current temperature as 27C.

TG: Temperatur Grosste. High temperature:32

DaveReidUK
14th Jul 2022, 06:33
My German is a bit rusty, but I think "grosste" is more accurately translated as "highest", rather than "high" - which still leaves the question unanswered as to what that "highest temperature" is relative to, and what is the timeframe involved.

eckhard
14th Jul 2022, 07:34
I thought that max and min forecast temps were shown as TX and TN? Maybe that only apples to a TAF.

Also, “highest temperature” in German would be „höchste Temperatur“, so TH Not TG.

kenparry
14th Jul 2022, 16:40
The language for the ATIS is English, not German. TG = Time Group, perhaps, but what for? ATIS timed at 1350, could the obs have been taken at 1332? This is no more than a guess.....

NFFuture
26th Jun 2023, 20:53
Sorry for digging up this thread after such a long time, but not having a definite answer to this question still brothered me. But I was finally able to find some information on the TG value:

On the website of the German Meteorological Service I found a definition of the TG value which is apparently used in the recordings of all their weather stations (not just airport stations). I only found documents in German, but no official translations.

TG = Minimum der Temperatur in 5 cm über dem Erdboden

TG = Minimum of the temperature 5 cm above the ground

It also states, that this minimum temperature is recorded for an interval between 23:51z of the previous day and 23:50z of the current day.

I guess this information could be useful in the winter time, if it is lower than the temperature temperature in 2m height. But this still wouldn't be the actual ground temperature, which could be useful to get a sense for the probable surface condition. But it is also displayed during summer time and also I am wondering if they are actually stating the minimum or maybe the current value.

It still is somewhat of an mystery to me and I am surprised that the Germans don't have any documentation about it.

I am not able to post the link to the documents, due to the 8 post rule.

ACMS
27th Jun 2023, 07:44
Why don’t you simply ASK Air Traffic Control next time you are there, I’m sure they’ll tell you.