PDA

View Full Version : South Maroota NSW crash

mickjoebill
9th Jul 2022, 06:19
The links have pictures of the wreckage in flames.

https://twitter.com/7NewsSydney/status/1545646053747175424?t=G1zBlHu0u2OQhH8kO2vm2Q&s=19

https://fb.watch/e8S1Dfs8oE/

rrekn
9th Jul 2022, 07:17
Any idea on what type?

ADS-B coverage in the area is patchy, but I thought I saw a B206 in the area about that time.

mickjoebill
9th Jul 2022, 07:31
Skynews reporting that the pilot died, aged in his 60s he was the sole occupant.
https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/one-person-dies-after-a-helicopter-crash-in-thick-bushland-near-south-maroota-in-sydneys-north/news-story/60b1c626020ef1fa2f9e370d357720df

MJA Chaser
9th Jul 2022, 08:02
7 News reporting it as a 206

Flyak
9th Jul 2022, 08:16
Some nasty HT wires in that area.

KiwiNedNZ
9th Jul 2022, 08:30
Been released as Carl Hearps who owned NSW Helicopters. RIP

Tickle
9th Jul 2022, 10:33
Quite a sad surprise on the news today, it was shown to be a LongRanger. The 7 News chopper was operating nearby and saw smoke coming up from a treeline, went over and discovered the wreckage freshly ablaze. They set down and went over with the camera crew in tow but nothing could be done.

Duck Pilot
9th Jul 2022, 10:35
Looks like it's impacted hard with the debris footprint and the fire.

Wires???? :mad:

Evil Twin
9th Jul 2022, 11:04
I flew that are on last years floods in v-low vis. Spent the whole time eating the seat with my ar5e and my eyes on stalks looking out for wires. RIP CH

megan
10th Jul 2022, 01:22
Some nasty HT wires in that areaAirborne video showed the aircraft crashed in a clear way running through forested country as you would expect around HT lines. Didn't notice any lines in the brief clip, probably more focused on the aircraft.

KRviator
10th Jul 2022, 02:35
Airborne video showed the aircraft crashed in a clear way running through forested country as you would expect around HT lines. Didn't notice any lines in the brief clip, probably more focused on the aircraft.There's two clips I've seen, one shot airborne, one from the Channel 7 cameraman on the ground and at the wreckage - and I'm not overly fond of that clip, TBH knowing another pilot died only minutes earlier there...But I didn't see any evidence of powerlines, either HV or LV in either clip. Not to say there weren't powerlines there, just I didn't see any in either clip...

belly tank
10th Jul 2022, 05:01
Yes I was surprised they played that clip. Not really appropriate in my opinion. I found it hard to watch seeing AM walking around the crash and possibly knowing the pilot is somewhere amongst it. I however believe he landed to render assistance which any of us would do. I just don’t think that clip should have been broadcast.

There's two clips I've seen, one shot airborne, one from the Channel 7 cameraman on the ground and at the wreckage - and I'm not overly fond of that clip, TBH knowing another pilot died only minutes earlier there...But I didn't see any evidence of powerlines, either HV or LV in either clip. Not to say there weren't powerlines there, just I didn't see any in either clip...

wombat watcher
11th Jul 2022, 01:43
All the news references are to it being a Bell 206L.
CASA register show him owning a Huey. Old vision shows his helo as a Huey.
are the references incorrect?

KRviator
11th Jul 2022, 02:41
are the references incorrect?If you look at the 7 News video at the 1:36 mark you'll see a good shot of the detached side door that looks very 206-like. I'll screenshot it, as I don't believe video showing the close-ups of the wreckage should be published here.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/373x329/image_d5e23076f98952809bd5f1a5979fd3300b47e83a.png

belly tank
11th Jul 2022, 03:39
I think he may have been cross hiring it ( 206L1) from my sources.

are the references incorrect?

Ascend Charlie
11th Jul 2022, 07:09
Odd that the rear LongRanger door has detached like that - the front part of the rear door is held on by pip pins, and the back part is pinned to the front bit, but the whole door section has departed in one piece. So the front pins and the rear latch have both let go.

helispotter
11th Jul 2022, 11:37
If you search the Australian aircraft register, of the small number of helicopters with "NSW Helicopters Pty Ltd" as the Registered Operator, VH-ZMF is the only Bell 206L-1 and AustAirData shows it in scheme as seen in image of door posted by KRviator. A Polish aviation magazine website is indicating the crashed helicopter is VH-ZMF but not sure if they managed to get the information first hand from somewhere, or also by the above process. I replayed aircraft movements in the area via FlightRadar24 and the NSW Police Bell 412 made repeated passes and orbits over the scene, perhaps to gather information to support ATSB accident investigation??

rotaryman
11th Jul 2022, 16:13
The aircraft was a UH1 Huey.. Power lines played no part In the accident.

KiwiNedNZ
11th Jul 2022, 19:34
The aircraft was a UH1 Huey..

No it wasnt.

albatross
11th Jul 2022, 20:49
The aircraft was a UH1 Huey.. Power lines played no part In the accident.

If it is a UH1 that’s a very strange door mod.

Terrible accident in any case. No matter the cause or type.
RIP.

megan
12th Jul 2022, 01:43
Definitely this 206, identifying feature is the gray paint trim on the rear door.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1280x877/0278552_00dedff672ce5acf06b8f239c547170322e74461.jpg

SASless
12th Jul 2022, 03:00
The cabin door was a small hint as to what type helicopter it was....yes a Bell...but not a Bell Huey.

KRviator
15th Jul 2022, 06:42
For any owners or operators of the 206, you might like to keep an eye on this investigation (https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2022/aair/ao-2022-034/). Early days, obviously, but the ATSB is reporting it as an in-flight breakup. I haven't heard of a 206 suffering in-flight structural failure before...

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) is investigating the in-flight break-up of a Bell 206L-1 LongRanger, registered VH-ZMF, that occurred about 7 km west of Maroota, NSW, on 9 July 2022.At about 1135 EST, VH-ZMF departed Cattai for a private flight. At about 1143, the helicopter broke-up in-flight and impacted terrain about 10 km to the north of the departure point. The helicopter was destroyed, and the pilot, who was the sole occupant, was fatally injured.

The evidence phase of the investigation will include examining the aircraft wreckage and accident site, recovering any relevant aircraft components for detailed examination in the ATSB technical facilities, analysing any available recorded data, and interviewing involved parties.

A final report will be released at the conclusion of the investigation. However, should a critical safety issue be identified during the course of the investigation, the ATSB will immediately notify relevant parties so appropriate safety action can be taken.

Ascend Charlie
15th Jul 2022, 06:52
Could be why that rear door pair was out there on its own.

megan
16th Jul 2022, 00:11
AC, does the attached provide any insight?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1280x720/snapshot_a78ca9c96f4390e41fb3fe7014dc23ba7b453299.jpg

The Nr Fairy
16th Jul 2022, 06:05
For any owners or operators of the 206, you might like to keep an eye on this investigation (https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2022/aair/ao-2022-034/). Early days, obviously, but the ATSB is reporting it as an in-flight breakup. I haven't heard of a 206 suffering in-flight structural failure before...

Off the top of my head I know of one fatal 206 crash in the UK some years ago caused most likely by mast bumping in turbulence ( can't find an online reference), and another caused by fatigue / loss of torque of the tail fin fasteners ( https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/bell-206b-jet-ranger-ii-g-wlly-21-december-2005 ). And Googling found a mast bumping related crash on the Isle of Man more recently ( https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-investigation-to-bell-206b-jet-ranger-ii-g-ramy )

RVDT
16th Jul 2022, 06:29
This one may be of interest - https://www.casa.gov.au/content-search/airworthiness-bulletins/bell-206-freewheel-unit-failures-mast-yielding-main-rotor-separation

I have series of photographs which someone sent me from Canada of the mast failure. So lucky they weren’t a bit higher.

Ascend Charlie
16th Jul 2022, 06:53
Mast bumping would have the rotors some distance from the fuselage, can't see that in the pic. The door pair looks undamaged, so the scenario of the doors coming off and hitting the main rotor or the tail rotor would be unlikely.

There was a case in the 90s involving a B206 with the ambulance kit fitted. This kit has made the rigid pillar behind the copilot door into a removable item, operated by a handle on the inside of the pillar, but supposedly done in such a way that the handle cannot be turned if the copilot door is shut - i.e. it can operate on the ground with the door open. Break the safety wire, turn the handle and the pillar slides out, still attached to the rear door, which now "hinges" on two hooks on its rear edge. These hooks fit into two loops on the fuselage. The whole left side is now open, and the stretcher can be loaded in on top of the rear seat, the copilot seat, and into the footwell. Close the rear door by sliding the pillar back into place and turning the handle. Re-wire the handle after the stretcher is removed.

On this occasion, the 206 had pilot plus 3, watching the Bridge-to-Bridge boat race on the Hawkesbury. A person sitting in the rear left seat wanted to lean forward and shout to the occupant of the copilot seat. He grasped the door pillar for leverage, but managed to operate the handle, which was installed backwards, opening into the cabin. The pilot was somewhat surprised when the door pillar and rear door departed the aircraft into the Hawkesbury. This pillar is an essential part of the fuselage, so he should have landed as ASAP as possible, but instead chose to make a breezy, wobbly trip back to Bankstown.

SASless
16th Jul 2022, 14:57
Seems a design change from the Huey style short shaft free wheeling unit may have created a new and different failure mode.

Those were greased units not requiring constant supply of pressurized oil for lubrication.

A question that springs to mind is why there is but a single injection port rather than two....but such a redundancy would add expense and complexity to the design.

As there is no back up....are there any warning systems that would indicate the loss of lubrication to the free wheel unit?

albatross
16th Jul 2022, 19:00
Why has the subject of short shaft failure come up?
I recall an incident caused by a grease lubricated freewheel failure leading to a bad crash in the mid 70s / early 80s. There was no grease in the newly overhauled, freshly installed unit. The badly injured pilot, a friend, ended up still in his seat 25 feet ahead of the aircraft. Fortunately he recovered and had along flying career in the business.
I also recall, in the same time period, there were some substandard boots that failed leading to loss of grease and actual short shaft failure. One led to an auto into a shallow lake ( water was up to back corner of the sliding doors, the aircraft was repaired in the lake, a drum of fuel placed in the cabin and connected direct to the engine as the fuel tanks were under water) They fired it up and air taxied to shore for further repairs.) and another that ended up with an auto terminating between 2 20,000 gallon fuel tanks with less than 6 feet blade clearance on either side.

Seems a design change from the Huey style short shaft free wheeling unit may have created a new and different failure mode.

Those were greased units not requiring constant supply of pressurized oil for lubrication.

A question that springs to mind is why there is but a single injection port rather than two....but such a redundancy would add expense and complexity to the design.

As there is no back up....are there any warning systems that would indicate the loss of lubrication to the free wheel unit?

SASless
16th Jul 2022, 21:20
So....which design is better...safer?

I recall looking at the short shaft on every preflight and maintenance break....checking for correct installation, condition of the boot, correctness of the locking wire and witness marks on the bolts on the couplings, signs of grease being slung....and turning it by hand to make sure it was right way to.....can you do that on the one in question on the 206L?

I recall some failures on UH-1's but after all we were flying millions of hours on them at one point in their service life in the US Military.

It is a fair question Albatross....did the change improve safety or did it bring along some new and different issues?

Noting is failure proof....unless you are suggesting this new design is.....is that why you ask the question you did?

Ascend Charlie
17th Jul 2022, 02:44
The 206 drive shaft was susceptible to a boot split and loss of grease, had one happen to me but I found it between flights and grounded the machine. The tel-a-temp stickers were usually an indication of overheating, as long as a clumsy mechanic hadn't knocked it with a spanner and turned it black.

The all-metal Meccano-style replacement has also had some failures, but not from lack of grease.

albatross
17th Jul 2022, 13:48
I do not know which design is safer.
I posted as the subject came up out of nowhere when no cause for this tragic accident has been found.
I will say that we always took a very good look at shaft and boots during the DI and at every refuelling during the day.
I never had a short shaft or FW unit problem with any 204, 205, 206 or 212/412 but still the incident history prompted a good look. We will not speak of the old “Oil Heads” remember those?

Yup you can do that on a 206L.
Long time since I flew any Bell product but always luved flying them ( best years of my career - flying was fun and ops manuals were thin, management was 100s if not 1000s of miles away.) .

So....which design is better...safer?

I recall looking at the short shaft on every preflight and maintenance break....checking for correct installation, condition of the boot, correctness of the locking wire and witness marks on the bolts on the couplings, signs of grease being slung....and turning it by hand to make sure it was right way to.....can you do that on the one in question on the 206L?

I recall some failures on UH-1's but after all we were flying millions of hours on them at one point in their service life in the US Military.

It is a fair question Albatross....did the change improve safety or did it bring along some new and different issues?

Noting is failure proof....unless you are suggesting this new design is.....is that why you ask the question you did?

Bellicose
18th Jul 2022, 04:59
Can someone please clarify which part of the 206 MDS installation was wire locked and also any similarities between the 206 and 205/Huey freewheel systems?
I must be getting old and stupid as I remember the 206 freewheel residing in the Allison engine gearbox and the 205 freewheel being located forward of the MDS in the Main Transmission.
I'm not stating these as facts as I probably don't have the experience and knowledge of some on this page as I only had 30 years on Bells.

KRviator
6th Oct 2022, 07:21
Looks like the ATSB is focussing on a birdstrike of all things? I don't think anyone considered that possibility before - though it has happened previously, when an Osprey came through the left windscreen of a 206 at Southport. The ATSB report (https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/4932012/199602271.pdf) doesn't give much insight though one has to wonder what could have happened if it came through the right side...

A wedge-tailed eagle bird carcass was located near the accident site of Bell LongRanger helicopter which experienced an in-flight break-up near Maroota, New South Wales on 9 July 2022, according to an Australian Transport Safety Bureau preliminary report.

“Site and wreckage examination undertaken by the ATSB determined that the vertical stabiliser, aft section of the tail boom, tail rotor and tail rotor gearbox were severed in flight and found separate to the main wreckage,” Mr Mitchell explained.

“No pre-accident defects were identified with flight controls, aircraft structure or the engine.”

A bird carcass was found to the south-west of the main wreckage site, near a section of rotor tip.

The carcass, the main rotor blade tip and a section of impacted tail boom were recovered from the site for further analysis.

“Testing on the bird carcass and biological residue found on external helicopter surfaces at the main wreckage site identified both as Aquila audax – commonly known as a wedge-tailed eagle,” Mr Mitchell said.

“With this evidence indicating a bird strike occurred prior to an in-flight break-up, the investigation moving forward will aim to determine the full sequence of events, and potential safety learnings from this accident,” Mr Mitchell said. Source (https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/news-items/2022/bird-carcass-located-near-longranger-helicopter-accident-site/?fbclid=IwAR2mTK_hEVitM-Xb7GNamErL33SCk5SOqUeO3-OsFnrq7aK9tPjQj-jgwuw)

megan
7th Oct 2022, 01:45
Looks like the ATSB is focussing on a birdstrike of all things? I don't think anyone considered that possibility beforeIt's not the first and it won't be the last. Many years ago a chap in the US was flying a 206 at night over a city and a bird strike rendered him unconscious for an unkown length of time, woke up and landed, fortunately his 206 had some sort of autopilot looking after the office. Again in the US was a fatal to all on board a S-76 which had a bird come through the windscreen. Where I spent most of my time wedge tails were prominent, along with large number of Ibis and the odd pelican, one of our S-76 aircraft had a strike with a large bird of unkown description, hit at the top of the windscreen divider, knocked both fire handles out of the detent causing both generators to drop off line which then caused loss of the SAS, bird then went up into the rotor which then slapped the bird down through the cabin roof into the passengers laps. Be careful out there.

djpil
7th Oct 2022, 03:02
It's not the first and it won't be the last. .... Be careful out there.This PA-28 survived an encounter with an eagle in the Melbourne area some years ago. Many other types would have been uncontrollable after such an impact. It missed the windscreen, glanced off the wing and hit the horizontal stabilizer. Buckles in the rear fuselage skin RHS.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x540/76860_489850168453_6155663_n_5c90e5c7420445b20e6a405a3aee23c 5eff22c0c.jpg

RVDT
7th Oct 2022, 07:26
Wedgies being at the top of the heap will not get out of the way. You can even fly right up alongside them in formation and they are not really concerned.

After they released calicivirus to kill rabbits in Australia it took away some of the food chain for Wedgies and the easier option for them was "road kill". Some horror stories of them being run over by vehicles for the same reason.

Not relevant in this case so much but with later types of helicopter that are much quieter it is a bit disconcerting how close you can get to some birds before they move out of the way to the point where you actually need to change the way you operate in some areas and/or be aware of it.

helispotter
20th Oct 2022, 04:25
KRviator listed extracts from the ATSB preliminary report but not this sentence: "The carcass and samples taken from the helicopter’s main transmission cowling were identified as Aquila audax (commonly known as a wedge-tailed eagle)". I wonder if this is any indication that the eagle struck near the rotorhead? Not sure how blades cope with birdstrikes, but you would certainly have to wonder how a pitch control linkage would cope with such an impact. If it was bent, blade would experience sudden pitch increase.

helispotter
20th Oct 2022, 04:37
Just came across this footage on YouTube of a bird strike (or near miss) of what is apparently Robinson R44 Clipper VH-ROO flying at 700 ft near Lake Macquarie in Australia. Still photo at start of the video seems to indicate bird was flying in generally the same direction as the helicopter(?). The footage shows just how rapidly the bird comes into view. In this case, the pilot appears to have reacted swiftly in an effort to prevent a strike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp1-sYxeVUg

helispotter
20th Oct 2022, 04:59
Here is an Enstrom (N9285) pilot from the USA showing cockpit footage of a bird strike and then discussing his response after the incident, including a precautionary landing where he found the bird did indeed strike the rotor mast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=286I3xVsfRg

Enstrom helicopters have that curious feature where the pitch control linkages must run up inside the mast, therefore being somewhat protected. However from 1:35 into the footage the pilot makes mention of a fatal USMC helicopter crash when a hawk struck one of its pitch control links. It is probably the AH-1W Cobra described in this news report:

https://verticalmag.com/news/20595-helicopter-crash-which-killed-two-u-s-marines-and-started-12-html/

SASless
20th Oct 2022, 12:48
A quick google search uncovered several articles on the 76 Crash.

It involved a Red Tail Hawk that hit the upper edge of the Windscreen and deformed the frame and pushed it back causing a loss of Engine Control.

Of note the Operator had replaced the original windscreens to save weight.

Safety Lessons from a Fatal Helicopter Bird Strike: Sikorsky S-76C++ N748P, 4 January 2009 - Aerossurance (http://aerossurance.com/helicopters/fatal-s76c-birdstrike-2009/)

Tickle
21st Oct 2022, 01:52
Interesting video,helispotter. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the black rotor shaft / cylinder design of the Enstrom is a big plus for safety with this kind of thing. I assume the rods / cables as well as rotating shaft are all packed inside it.

megan
21st Oct 2022, 03:04
Glider pilots have an intimate relationship with Wedge Tails as they share the same thermals. Pilots have reported them gliding in the upwash at the wings leading edge, one had a bird try to attack him through the canopy by pecking at the perspex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMj6AqcDBU4

helispotter
23rd Oct 2022, 07:08
Tickle: That black rotor mast on the Enstrom does rotate and drives the rotor hub. My understanding is that there must be three pitch links that make their way up inside this hollow mast from a swashplate mounted below the mast. I think it is just coincidental that the blood of the bird was towards the front of the mast as that is where it happened to have stopped once shut down on the ground.

KRviator
12th May 2023, 06:30
Final report is out. (https://www.atsb.gov.au/sites/default/files/2023-05/AO-2022-034%20Final_0.pdf)

Wedgetail strike just below the left windscreen likely resulted in a startle-reflex-induced control input that resulted in the rotor striking and severing the tail boom.