PDA

View Full Version : A320 brake wear pins for dispatch

MonarchOrBust
2nd Jul 2022, 07:45
After performing a walk around the other day, I see that 1 out of the 4 Brake Wear pins is not in the position it should be. I'm not talking border-line flush, I'm talking 5cm in the negative. Where is the reference for me to determine if this is a go/no go? I can't find anything in the MEL or even CDL.

Thanks

Scagrams
2nd Jul 2022, 07:56
My company clearly states in our manual that while pilots are here to check these pins during walk-around, they are in no position to decide on dispatch (or not) about those (same regarding tire wear). Only thing we're allowed to do is call maintenance. Not sure what would happen if in a place without maintenance though...

FlightDetent
2nd Jul 2022, 08:08
IMHO what you looking for does not exist (in the pilot library)

There are 8 pins on 320 gear.

5 cm in sounds like it was broken off, what about the second one on the same wheel?

Probably you have a picture, have a look if the brake pad assembly looks any different from usual.

TL entry: During pre-flight, brake-pad wear pin missing #4 front position.

The engineers will now.

spannersatcx
2nd Jul 2022, 10:17
Normally there are 2 wear indicator pins on a brake, normally you would use the lowest pin for determining if the brake is within wear limits. It will be in the maintenance manual rather than the MEL. The manual will say you can dispatch with 1 missing/damaged provided the remaining one is checked prior to flight, a maintenance function rather than a pilot function. Also note that a wear pin even when flush still has sufficient capacity to allow for a full emergency stop. If outside of wear limits the MEL will state how many brakes can be inop and deactivated.