PDA

View Full Version : Qantas will provide a one-time bonus of $5,000 to each of its 19,000 employees

JetLagedBird
25th Jun 2022, 12:11
The bonus, according to chief executive Alan Joyce, recognized the “sacrifices our people have made” throughout the pandemic, such as being laid off without pay for extended periods of time.

Bootstrap1
25th Jun 2022, 14:40
It is all smoke and mirrors. As usual it is tied to an EBA being signed off within 9 months. We in engineering are yet to receive the $2000 from 2018 as that was tied to an EBA as well. That EBA expired in 2019. So here we are 3 1/2 years later still no EBA, not even an official EBA offer.
So if Alan thinks he can dangle a $5K carrot and think all of the toxicity of the last few years will be forgotten, he is well and truly mistaken.
Even Gareth Evans is leaving, he must know he was never going to get the top job. Morale at QF has always been pretty low, now it is a toxic waste dump.

HE CAN Go and Get Far away

blubak
25th Jun 2022, 22:28
It is all smoke and mirrors. As usual it is tied to an EBA being signed off within 9 months. We in engineering are yet to receive the $2000 from 2018 as that was tied to an EBA as well. That EBA expired in 2019. So here we are 3 1/2 years later still no EBA, not even an official EBA offer.
So if Alan thinks he can dangle a $5K carrot and think all of the toxicity of the last few years will be forgotten, he is well and truly mistaken.
Even Gareth Evans is leaving, he must know he was never going to get the top job. Morale at QF has always been pretty low, now it is a toxic waste dump.

HE CAN Go and Get Far away
Its a cheap out for him too as they definitely dont have to pay any allowances on a bonus(bribe) & pretty sure no super paid on it either which if it was a wage rise of some %age,the allowances would go up by the same % & super would definitely be paid.
This is just another mean spirited attack on the workforce to try & make himself look good whilst lining his & his back slapping hangers on with more bonuses & share options.

Ollie Onion
25th Jun 2022, 22:50
And it specifically relates to Australian Based employees which is lucky as those who are based off shore had the same level of support over the 24 month stand downs right?

RENURPP
25th Jun 2022, 23:08
Its a cheap out for him too as they definitely dont have to pay any allowances on a bonus(bribe) & pretty sure no super paid on it either which if it was a wage rise of some %age,the allowances would go up by the same % & super would definitely be paid.
This is just another mean spirited attack on the workforce to try & make himself look good whilst lining his & his back slapping hangers on with more bonuses & share options.
There is super, it is deducted from the $5000 if it’s paid. In effect if it’s paid it will be $4400 - tax as and if applicable

blubak
27th Jun 2022, 07:50
Don’t forget that it’s 1000 Qantas shares and not necessarily $5k which he keeps spraying to the media. If the price drops like it already has, then it’s worth a lot less. Some will say “what if the price goes higher?” But we all know that won’t happen at the current rate
Arent they 2 separate bribes?? But of course they both have the'subject to' conditions attached which basically say You better behave & do exactly as we tell you.

Troo believer
27th Jun 2022, 08:11
https://michaelwest.com.au/alan-joyces-5000-gift-really-a-5000-grift-whats-the-scam-qantas/

https://michaelwest.com.au/rooing-the-day-qantas-passengers-and-crew-taken-for-a-ride-by-the-board/ (https://michaelwest.com.au/alan-joyces-5000-gift-really-a-5000-grift-whats-the-scam-qantas/)

gordonfvckingramsay
28th Jun 2022, 00:17
If the trigger for receiving these ‘bonuses’ is for no harm to come to QF, how are QF defining ‘harm’?

A drop in share price? Bad press due to staff (shortages)? Etc…Who chooses which form of harm and by whom?

aseriesofleftturns
28th Jun 2022, 01:15
https://www.afr.com/companies/transport/qantas-warns-staff-it-will-scrap-bonuses-if-harmed-20220627-p5awu4

PoppaJo
28th Jun 2022, 04:47
Good. Tear it up then.

itsnotthatbloodyhard
28th Jun 2022, 06:13
What ‘harm’ could possibly compare to the spectacular self-inflicted damage we’ve been seeing for the last few months?

Paragraph377
6th Jul 2022, 06:59
With the ALAEA talking about taking union action, I found this tidbit amusing in the Financial Review. In regards to engaging in union stop work activities and overtime bans during school holidays, Steve was asked the following;

Reporter: Asked whether he expected this to create further disruptions for travellers as travel’s rocky recovery forces flight delays, cancellations and other issues, he said: “We won’t need to target holiday periods, Qantas seem to be doing a good enough job of ruining people’s holiday’s without our assistance.”

Thats pure gold, and very true! The flying roo is taking an absolute beating and there is no sign of any letup.

blubak
6th Jul 2022, 08:42
With the ALAEA talking about taking union action, I found this tidbit amusing in the Financial Review. In regards to engaging in union stop work activities and overtime bans during school holidays, Steve was asked the following;

Reporter: Asked whether he expected this to create further disruptions for travellers as travel’s rocky recovery forces flight delays, cancellations and other issues, he said: “We won’t need to target holiday periods, Qantas seem to be doing a good enough job of ruining people’s holiday’s without our assistance.”

Thats pure gold, and very true! The flying roo is taking an absolute beating and there is no sign of any letup.
They obviously thought that the part relating to actually providing a flight to a paid for destination didnt apply to their world(3rd) class airline.
Probably thought the curfew in NZ wouldnt apply to the flight they sent there a day or 2 ago either even though there was no way it was ever going to get there before curfew.
The fools running this circus have no idea & as Steve says,they dont need any help in ruining holidays for many many people.

ampclamp
6th Jul 2022, 10:11
I saw on Seek that they are advertising for AMEs and LAMEs.

Sure, they had to off load labour when covid shut the industry down here, but when they let everyone go that put their hand up without any care for the loss of licence cover and experience, losing thousands of years of engineering experience in one hit, it's no wonder they are struggling. I heard there were about 6 AOGs in Melbourne on an over night not long ago.

Forced onto 8 hour shifts, refusing to negotiate an EBA for what must be 3 years since expiry, pay freezes etc has not exactly increased morale and incentive to go the extra yard.

aussieflyboy
6th Jul 2022, 10:12
There is super, it is deducted from the $5000 if it’s paid. In effect if it’s paid it will be $4400 - tax as and if applicable

$5,000 minus (45% Tax + 10.5% Super + 10% HECS)…. I’m not a tax professional but is that like $1725 in hand?

Ngineer
6th Jul 2022, 10:17
I saw on Seek that they are advertising for AMEs and LAMEs.

Sure, they had to off load labour when covid shut the industry down here, but when they let everyone go that put their hand up without any care for the loss of licence cover and experience, losing thousands of years of engineering experience in one hit, it's no wonder they are struggling. I heard there were about 6 AOGs in Melbourne on an over night not long ago.

Forced onto 8 hour shifts, refusing to negotiate an EBA for what must be 3 years since expiry, pay freezes etc has not exactly increased morale and incentive to go the extra yard.

Keep beating a dog and it will eventually turn on you.

RENURPP
7th Jul 2022, 03:51
$5,000 minus (45% Tax + 10.5% Super + 10% HECS)…. I’m not a tax professional but is that like $1725 in hand?
that's what I was getting at 5000 - super- tax, I'm not sure many pilots will be up for HECS

aussieflyboy
7th Jul 2022, 06:49
that's what I was getting at 5000 - super- tax, I'm not sure many pilots will be up for HECS

If they just sat around doing nothing for the past 2 years then maybe no HECS but many started doing uni courses as a backup for the next time something happens.

RENURPP
7th Jul 2022, 19:59
If they just sat around doing nothing for the past 2 years then maybe no HECS but many started doing uni courses as a backup for the next time something happens.
it’s a debt, a choice, others have also sorts of debts house/car ……. Loans.
whilst the $5000 is a joke adding your personal debt on the list of deductions is a non sense.

aussieflyboy
7th Jul 2022, 22:54
it’s a debt, a choice, others have also sorts of debts house/car ……. Loans.
whilst the $5000 is a joke adding your personal debt on the list of deductions is a non sense.

Yes but a personal debt doesn’t come out of a bonus payment whereas a HECS debt does.

Ollie Onion
8th Jul 2022, 00:30
To be honest, if you don’t like Qantas then leave, it is as simple as that.

Ollie Onion
8th Jul 2022, 00:33
They obviously thought that the part relating to actually providing a flight to a paid for destination didnt apply to their world(3rd) class airline.
Probably thought the curfew in NZ wouldnt apply to the flight they sent there a day or 2 ago either even though there was no way it was ever going to get there before curfew.
The fools running this circus have no idea & as Steve says,they dont need any help in ruining holidays for many many people.

It was the Captains decision, he thought that a quick get away out of Sydney with favourable routing etc May see them there on time or a few minutes over…. Probably says more about him than the airline, when has anyone every got a ‘quick’ getaway out of Sydney,

aussieflyboy
8th Jul 2022, 00:45
To be honest, if you don’t like Qantas then leave, it is as simple as that.

Its not that easy anymore. QF has purchased nearly every Australian domestic Airline. If you are wanting to work for an Australian company that pays reasonably where are you going to go?

C441
8th Jul 2022, 04:35
It was the Captains decision, he thought that a quick get away out of Sydney with favourable routing etc May see them there on time or a few minutes over…. Probably says more about him than the airline, when has anyone every got a quick getaway out of Sydney,
If you are going to have a crack at the Captain, at least get your facts correct.

The flight was airborne in Sydney at 11:15pm Wellington time meaning they had 45mins to cover the 1200nm to Wellington to beat the curfew or a full hour and three-quarters after the latest time to beat curfew. The Qantas IOC in all of their wisdom, chose to let the flight depart in the hope of getting a curfew dispensation. It didn't happen and they diverted to CHC, which was the IOC's preferred option to remaining in Sydney.

So no, the Captain did not depart hoping for a quick getaway and favourable routing, so other than accepting the near certainty of a diversion and the IOC's preference for them to depart anyway, it doesn't say more about him or her than the company at all.

Paragraph377
8th Jul 2022, 07:09
If you are going to have a crack at the Captain, at least get your facts correct.

The flight was airborne in Sydney at 11:15pm Wellington time meaning they had 45mins to cover the 1200nm to Wellington to beat the curfew or a full hour and three-quarters after the latest time to beat curfew. The Qantas IOC in all of their wisdom, chose to let the flight depart in the hope of getting a curfew dispensation. It didn't happen and they diverted to CHC, which was the IOC's preferred option to remaining in Sydney.

So no, the Captain did not depart hoping for a quick getaway and favourable routing, so other than accepting the near certainty of a diversion and the IOC's preference for them to depart anyway, it doesn't say more about him or her than the company at all.
I saw this many times in my career. One of the best ones I saw was during an east coast low, JQ Ops sent an aircraft from both MEL and SYD to Hamilton Island even though Ops were shown photographs of 1/3 of the runway under water. They also sent some aircraft to OOL at the same time, again they did it even though QF and the then VB were canceling flights to OOL due to weather. All aircraft ended up in BNE which already had no parking space left for the 320’s. It was a complete debacle in BNE with disrupted pax, no hotels, an absolute clusterf#ck, and aircraft sitting on taxiways with nowhere to go. A stupid decision made by Ops. This sort of scenario was regularly played out across the network, including sending aircraft to SYD knowing they would not beat the curfew.

blubak
8th Jul 2022, 07:20

Hope every passenger on board that flight gets told how they were f....d over by this pack of incompetent fools.
U can just imagine how the captain felt knowing how this was going to end. Of course the people making these decisions are safely tucked up in bed whilst the chaos they have caused is no longer their problem or concern.

Paragraph377
8th Jul 2022, 08:54
Of course the people making these decisions are safely tucked up in bed whilst the chaos they have caused is no longer their problem or concern.
So very true. It goes for all the CEO’s of these airlines, sitting on their asses sipping expensive wine at top shelf restaurants while their crew and ‘customers’ get fu#ked around no end through the middle of the night.

Servo
9th Jul 2022, 01:14
So very true. It goes for all the CEO’s of these airlines, sitting on their asses sipping expensive wine at top shelf restaurants while their crew and ‘customers’ get fu#ked around no end through the middle of the night.
Or Holidaying in Europe and Wimbledon whilst the front end staff are already burnt out, crew fatigue is at historical levels plus sickness. Then the COO sends out an email saying its all because of Covid. No its not. You cut EVERYTHING to the bone, let experienced staff go and now reap what you sowed. The ONLY reason the travelling public are not abandoning a particular airline in Oz at the moment, is because they are equally crap.

Pity.

blubak
9th Jul 2022, 03:29
Or Holidaying in Europe and Wimbledon whilst the front end staff are already burnt out, crew fatigue is at historical levels plus sickness. Then the COO sends out an email saying its all because of Covid. No its not. You cut EVERYTHING to the bone, let experienced staff go and now reap what you sowed. The ONLY reason the travelling public are not abandoning a particular airline in Oz at the moment, is because they are equally crap.

Pity.
What else would you expect from a mob like this.
They always have an excuse or someone to blame,its never their fault,they live in another world & everybody is wrong except them.

Ollie Onion
9th Jul 2022, 07:05

Apologies, I was talking about the Jetstar Aircraft that also diverted to Christchurch not the Qantas one. JQ203 on 3/7/22, departed Sydney 21:12. The Media talked about Qantas, Jetstar kept the crew and passengers on the aircraft and then flew back to AKL.

langham
9th Jul 2022, 09:48
No you weren’t, you made it quite clear it was the Qantas Captain

Ollie Onion
9th Jul 2022, 10:04
No you weren’t, you made it quite clear it was the Qantas Captain

Really, where did I say Qantas Captain?

Australopithecus
9th Jul 2022, 10:20
When you initially claimed that it was the Captain, not the company. Now in your Jetstar story you are clearly blaming the company.
Additionally, who gave you licence to post “like it or leave” edicts? I personally would rather dislike it, as anyone would, and agitate to get the problems fixed. This was a very good airline when I joined-I'd be gratified to witness it being so again.

Ollie Onion
9th Jul 2022, 11:46
No, I am saying the Jetstar Captain made the decision to go, not the company. But hey you believe what ever you like. And I stand by my statement, if you hate the company you work for so much why would you work for them? 'Agitate to make it better', are you about to dust off the red ties and pa cards again?

PoppaJo
11th Jul 2022, 21:20
The Australian reporting both AJ and Jayne are on holidays in Europe at the moment.

Meanwhile on time performance for both 40% last week. Virgin cancelling 1 in 8.

OneDotLow
11th Jul 2022, 23:14
The Australian reporting both AJ and Jayne are on holidays in Europe at the moment.

Meanwhile on time performance for both 40% last week. Virgin cancelling 1 in 8.

That’s odd. Everything normally runs more smoothly when management disappear… :8

Paragraph377
12th Jul 2022, 03:55
That’s odd. Everything normally runs more smoothly when management disappear… :8

I’m sure Vanessa and Olivia have it all under control at the Roo. I hope the girls are playing nicely with Alan’s toy set 😊

73to91
12th Jul 2022, 20:12
I’m sure Vanessa and Olivia have it all under control at the Roo. I hope the girls are playing nicely with Alan’s toy set 😊
Hopefully they can send the cleaners over to Mosman !!!

https://www.news.com.au/national/vandals-toilet-paper-and-egg-qantas-boss-19m-harbourside-mansion/news-story/c67d2637924a3ee0c7723feb99a686a8

blubak
12th Jul 2022, 21:49

https://www.news.com.au/national/vandals-toilet-paper-and-egg-qantas-boss-19m-harbourside-mansion/news-story/c67d2637924a3ee0c7723feb99a686a8
Doesnt look like they have much under control at all except the usual excuses & refusal to listen to what is actually going on with their 3rd world attempt at customer service.
They should read some of the letters available at traveller.com.au from people who are getting shafted every day due to the incompetence from these so called airline executives.

Chronic Snoozer
12th Jul 2022, 22:06
Doesnt look like they have much under control at all except the usual excuses & refusal to listen to what is actually going on with their 3rd world attempt at customer service.
They should read some of the letters available at traveller.com.au from people who are getting shafted every day due to the incompetence from these so called airline executives.

Would it be correct to say that Q international does not offer WiFi internet? I only ask in the context of customer service, or more accurately product offering, it is difficult to believe that on an 16+ hour flight, business travellers cannot even send an email.

Paragraph377
12th Jul 2022, 22:08

Alan absolutely loves Olivia and they are very close. I imagine that she will be over at his house pronto, gloves, apron and safety rigging attached, and busily scrubbing the roof clean.

blubak
13th Jul 2022, 07:56
Alan absolutely loves Olivia and they are very close. I imagine that she will be over at his house pronto, gloves, apron and safety rigging attached, and busily scrubbing the roof clean.
Pretty sure there will have to be a bonus or a large amount of shares thrown her way for being such a devoted colleague of his.
On the gravy train for everything she can get.

Paragraph377
13th Jul 2022, 23:58
Pretty sure there will have to be a bonus or a large amount of shares thrown her way for being such a devoted colleague of his.
Indeed. Olivia is one of the protected species who has been mentored and protected over the years, groomed to become a senior executive. The potential issue moving forwards is this; if either Olivia or Vanessa jag the JQ CEO role, the loser out of the two might bail from Qantas. That would be likely in the real world, but in the Qantas world, who knows. Either way it’s a big leap up to CEO, so it will be fun to watch from the sidelines. Either way I don’t think either of them should sit in Joyce’s chair. The carriers reputation when it comes to morale, service and ethics is badly tarnished and it would be better if an external non-aligned CEO came in with fresh eyes and a giant broom.

hotnhigh
14th Jul 2022, 00:46

https://investor.qantas.com/DownloadFile.axd?file=/Report/ComNews/20220610/02530808.pdf

and ✅…….

blubak
14th Jul 2022, 08:06
https://investor.qantas.com/DownloadFile.axd?file=/Report/ComNews/20220610/02530808.pdf

and ✅…….
Just shows you how corrupt this mob are,well over $1m of shares to each of the 4 mentioned & of course approved by the board.
Meanwhile,the workers who have to face the music from the travelling public every day of the week get told to take a wage feeeze & if they sign away their rights in a 1 sided eba they just may be lucky enough to get a $5k bonus & thats before super & tax is taken out.
The only spirit left in this company is the mean spirit of the ceo & his ass licking hypocrite cronies.