Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Qantas will provide a one-time bonus of $5,000 to each of its 19,000 employees

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas will provide a one-time bonus of $5,000 to each of its 19,000 employees

Old 25th Jun 2022, 13:11
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Canada
Posts: 25
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qantas will provide a one-time bonus of $5,000 to each of its 19,000 employees

The bonus, according to chief executive Alan Joyce, recognized the “sacrifices our people have made” throughout the pandemic, such as being laid off without pay for extended periods of time.
Read the full article via this link: Qantas will pay 19,000 employees $95 Million in Bonuses
JetLagedBird is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2022, 15:40
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Under the big blue hangar
Age: 38
Posts: 237
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is all smoke and mirrors. As usual it is tied to an EBA being signed off within 9 months. We in engineering are yet to receive the $2000 from 2018 as that was tied to an EBA as well. That EBA expired in 2019. So here we are 3 1/2 years later still no EBA, not even an official EBA offer.
So if Alan thinks he can dangle a $5K carrot and think all of the toxicity of the last few years will be forgotten, he is well and truly mistaken.
Even Gareth Evans is leaving, he must know he was never going to get the top job. Morale at QF has always been pretty low, now it is a toxic waste dump.


HE CAN Go and Get Far away
Bootstrap1 is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2022, 23:28
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 685
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bootstrap1 View Post
It is all smoke and mirrors. As usual it is tied to an EBA being signed off within 9 months. We in engineering are yet to receive the $2000 from 2018 as that was tied to an EBA as well. That EBA expired in 2019. So here we are 3 1/2 years later still no EBA, not even an official EBA offer.
So if Alan thinks he can dangle a $5K carrot and think all of the toxicity of the last few years will be forgotten, he is well and truly mistaken.
Even Gareth Evans is leaving, he must know he was never going to get the top job. Morale at QF has always been pretty low, now it is a toxic waste dump.


HE CAN Go and Get Far away
Its a cheap out for him too as they definitely dont have to pay any allowances on a bonus(bribe) & pretty sure no super paid on it either which if it was a wage rise of some %age,the allowances would go up by the same % & super would definitely be paid.
This is just another mean spirited attack on the workforce to try & make himself look good whilst lining his & his back slapping hangers on with more bonuses & share options.
blubak is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2022, 23:50
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,213
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And it specifically relates to Australian Based employees which is lucky as those who are based off shore had the same level of support over the 24 month stand downs right?
Ollie Onion is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2022, 00:08
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Horn Island
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blubak View Post
Its a cheap out for him too as they definitely dont have to pay any allowances on a bonus(bribe) & pretty sure no super paid on it either which if it was a wage rise of some %age,the allowances would go up by the same % & super would definitely be paid.
This is just another mean spirited attack on the workforce to try & make himself look good whilst lining his & his back slapping hangers on with more bonuses & share options.
There is super, it is deducted from the $5000 if it’s paid. In effect if it’s paid it will be $4400 - tax as and if applicable
RENURPP is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 08:50
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 685
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unknownpilot View Post
Don’t forget that it’s 1000 Qantas shares and not necessarily $5k which he keeps spraying to the media. If the price drops like it already has, then it’s worth a lot less. Some will say “what if the price goes higher?” But we all know that won’t happen at the current rate
Arent they 2 separate bribes?? But of course they both have the'subject to' conditions attached which basically say You better behave & do exactly as we tell you.
blubak is offline  
Old 27th Jun 2022, 09:11
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 317
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://michaelwest.com.au/alan-joyces-5000-gift-really-a-5000-grift-whats-the-scam-qantas/







https://michaelwest.com.au/rooing-the-day-qantas-passengers-and-crew-taken-for-a-ride-by-the-board/

Last edited by Troo believer; 27th Jun 2022 at 09:37.
Troo believer is offline  
Old 28th Jun 2022, 01:17
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kichin
Posts: 671
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the trigger for receiving these ‘bonuses’ is for no harm to come to QF, how are QF defining ‘harm’?

A drop in share price? Bad press due to staff (shortages)? Etc…Who chooses which form of harm and by whom?

gordonfvckingramsay is offline  
Old 28th Jun 2022, 02:15
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: SEQ
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.afr.com/companies/transp...0220627-p5awu4
aseriesofleftturns is offline  
Old 28th Jun 2022, 05:47
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,475
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good. Tear it up then.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 28th Jun 2022, 07:13
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 541
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ‘harm’ could possibly compare to the spectacular self-inflicted damage we’ve been seeing for the last few months?
itsnotthatbloodyhard is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 07:59
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 70
Posts: 480
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the ALAEA talking about taking union action, I found this tidbit amusing in the Financial Review. In regards to engaging in union stop work activities and overtime bans during school holidays, Steve was asked the following;

Reporter: Asked whether he expected this to create further disruptions for travellers as travel’s rocky recovery forces flight delays, cancellations and other issues, he said: “We won’t need to target holiday periods, Qantas seem to be doing a good enough job of ruining people’s holiday’s without our assistance.”

Thats pure gold, and very true! The flying roo is taking an absolute beating and there is no sign of any letup.
Paragraph377 is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 09:42
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 685
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paragraph377 View Post
With the ALAEA talking about taking union action, I found this tidbit amusing in the Financial Review. In regards to engaging in union stop work activities and overtime bans during school holidays, Steve was asked the following;

Reporter: Asked whether he expected this to create further disruptions for travellers as travel’s rocky recovery forces flight delays, cancellations and other issues, he said: “We won’t need to target holiday periods, Qantas seem to be doing a good enough job of ruining people’s holiday’s without our assistance.”

Thats pure gold, and very true! The flying roo is taking an absolute beating and there is no sign of any letup.
They obviously thought that the part relating to actually providing a flight to a paid for destination didnt apply to their world(3rd) class airline.
Probably thought the curfew in NZ wouldnt apply to the flight they sent there a day or 2 ago either even though there was no way it was ever going to get there before curfew.
The fools running this circus have no idea & as Steve says,they dont need any help in ruining holidays for many many people.
blubak is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 11:11
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Skating away on the thin ice of a new day.
Posts: 1,088
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw on Seek that they are advertising for AMEs and LAMEs.

Sure, they had to off load labour when covid shut the industry down here, but when they let everyone go that put their hand up without any care for the loss of licence cover and experience, losing thousands of years of engineering experience in one hit, it's no wonder they are struggling. I heard there were about 6 AOGs in Melbourne on an over night not long ago.

Forced onto 8 hour shifts, refusing to negotiate an EBA for what must be 3 years since expiry, pay freezes etc has not exactly increased morale and incentive to go the extra yard.
ampclamp is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 11:12
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 248
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RENURPP View Post
There is super, it is deducted from the $5000 if it’s paid. In effect if it’s paid it will be $4400 - tax as and if applicable
$5,000 minus (45% Tax + 10.5% Super + 10% HECS)…. I’m not a tax professional but is that like $1725 in hand?
aussieflyboy is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 11:17
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: On the chopping board.
Posts: 922
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ampclamp View Post
I saw on Seek that they are advertising for AMEs and LAMEs.

Sure, they had to off load labour when covid shut the industry down here, but when they let everyone go that put their hand up without any care for the loss of licence cover and experience, losing thousands of years of engineering experience in one hit, it's no wonder they are struggling. I heard there were about 6 AOGs in Melbourne on an over night not long ago.

Forced onto 8 hour shifts, refusing to negotiate an EBA for what must be 3 years since expiry, pay freezes etc has not exactly increased morale and incentive to go the extra yard.
Keep beating a dog and it will eventually turn on you.
Ngineer is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2022, 04:51
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Horn Island
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aussieflyboy View Post
$5,000 minus (45% Tax + 10.5% Super + 10% HECS)…. I’m not a tax professional but is that like $1725 in hand?
that's what I was getting at 5000 - super- tax, I'm not sure many pilots will be up for HECS
RENURPP is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2022, 07:49
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 248
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RENURPP View Post
that's what I was getting at 5000 - super- tax, I'm not sure many pilots will be up for HECS
If they just sat around doing nothing for the past 2 years then maybe no HECS but many started doing uni courses as a backup for the next time something happens.
aussieflyboy is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2022, 20:59
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Horn Island
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aussieflyboy View Post
If they just sat around doing nothing for the past 2 years then maybe no HECS but many started doing uni courses as a backup for the next time something happens.
it’s a debt, a choice, others have also sorts of debts house/car ……. Loans.
whilst the $5000 is a joke adding your personal debt on the list of deductions is a non sense.
RENURPP is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2022, 23:54
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 248
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RENURPP View Post
it’s a debt, a choice, others have also sorts of debts house/car ……. Loans.
whilst the $5000 is a joke adding your personal debt on the list of deductions is a non sense.
Yes but a personal debt doesn’t come out of a bonus payment whereas a HECS debt does.
aussieflyboy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.